Buns Again

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Buns Again

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:59 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:
I'm here to say you can't out-exercise a bad diet. And it hit me: I'm working my butt off to change my metabolism so that McDougalling will result in weight loss in my menopausal old body, right? I am working WAY too hard to sabotage myself with stupid food choices. BINGO!! ding ding ding, you win a prize!

And going to track my food here. :nod: I'll note my workouts here, as well.

Don't forget to add some veggies to your daily plan. Raw carrots, celery? I love steamed broccoli.

And YAY on keeping up with the exercise. I need to do more than my almost daily walks.

Keep going! Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:02 pm

deweyswakms wrote:
bunsofaluminum wrote:
I'm here to say you can't out-exercise a bad diet. And it hit me: I'm working my butt off to change my metabolism so that McDougalling will result in weight loss in my menopausal old body, right? I am working WAY too hard to sabotage myself with stupid food choices. BINGO!! ding ding ding, you win a prize!

And going to track my food here. :nod: I'll note my workouts here, as well.

Don't forget to add some veggies to your daily plan. Raw carrots, celery? I love steamed broccoli.

And YAY on keeping up with the exercise. I need to do more than my almost daily walks.

Keep going! Marsha

Heck yes, I have greens with every meal. Spinach or broccoli most times, and stir fry blend a lot of the time. My fav "veg stick" is sugar snap peas but I also love cauliflower florets. In fact, even with the stupid choices, I've kept up with my greens, grains, and beans by far the majority of my meals.

But stocking up on the starchy staples is pantry and shelf stuff, whereas greens are freezer or refrigerator and you don't stock up on those as much as shopping weekly for them.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:46 am

Sat
No workout. Resting my knees.

B: large bowl of Not Chicken Soup
L: Creamy garlic alfredo over linguine; broccoli (recipe from Brand New Vegan. Fat free)
D: homemade bean burrito; cauliflower, carrots, celery

Going to make something potato today or tomorrow. Like southwest spiced potatoes or something.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:58 am

Sun

Slept in today for a solid 8 hours of sleep.
Still debating about the gym...knees :roll:

B: Oatmeal G BOMB
L: dal over rice; spinach
D: bean burrito w. fajita vegs; corn;

Christmas shopping on the agenda, plus planning on doing some cooking. Also going to make a batch of my famous Almond Toffee that I make every Xmas. I'm getting a box ready to ship to my son who lives out of state and toffee has to be in that. It's nice having a day where I can do what I want.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:05 am

Mon

4:15 wake up
4:30- 5:15 gym AWESOME workout! 30 min weights, 15 min cardio. HR got up to 138 which is just about perfect. If I "peak out" that usually triggers my tachycardia, so I'm happy with the high 130-low 140's.

B: non-coffee (Pero ftw! great stuff); banana; graham crackers
L: big salad; big bowl of soup; toast wh wh bread (There's a local bakery that has four ing: whole wheat flour, water, yeast, salt)
D: Dal over rice and spinach.

This is the plan. :nod:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:34 am

Tue

Rest day today. My "every other day" workout plan is working and my knees are thanking me for it.

B: banana; graham crackers; non-coffee
L: Cafe Rio Salad...WAY full
D: cancelled dinner

Last night I had sushi on my way home from my PT job.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:08 am

Wed

When I got up at 4:00, ready to go to the gym, and stepped out the door into calf deep snow, I decided that probably shoveling would be an okay workout. Not long after starting, my knee was telling me about it, so I put the shovel aside after doing about a 10 ft. trail from the porch to the front of the car. Even if I had shoveled enough to get to the car, it would not be fun driving at that hour, before the plows have gotten around to us.

So, we have a snow blower and Wylie is going at it right now. He does have to drive to his job so....

Since 11:00 yesterday midday, where I ate a large salad from Cafe Rio: Beans, rice, lettuce, pico, guac, I have eaten only a few cauliflower florets last night, and a banana w. two graham crackers this morning. Not feeling hungry yet
My new work schedule means my lunch hour is 10-11 a.m. for a more brunch meal. Not sure what I'll eat. Nothing sounds amazing or even appetizing, really. *shrug* I guess if my stomach starts hollering I'll put something down my throat.

B: Banana; graham crackers
Br: burrito; garbanzo beans
D: curried lentil soup over baked potato; extra baked potato
Last edited by bunsofaluminum on Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:53 am

THU
4:00 a.m. wake up
4:15-4:45 workout (stayed home for this, as I didn't want to step out into sub freezing temps at that hour) HR 151 :shock: that's a little high, as my heart will go tachy if I go too high during exercise

B: rice w dal
L: Salad; curried lentil soup
D: Veggie ramen soup

:nod:

Need to make toffee today, as I have to get a care package ready to send to my son whose b-day is the 21st. Need to put that all together and in the mail today if I can. I think I've got my Xmas shopping done :thumbsup:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:55 am

12.17/21
Fri

Heh. Off plan already smh.

My son, the one with bipolar disorder, seems like he's getting ready to go off the rails and has said some hurtful things to family members, and of course I had to eat some crap emotionally. Had a good cry, then got pissed and I still am pretty furious. I'm worn out with his BS and just can't anymore. And I'm so worried about him, and grieving for the family members he hurt (all of us, really, because he lumped the whole family together as "complacent" with one family member's "alternative lifestyle" and is refusing to come to the family Xmas party because he doesn't want to expose his family to the Satanic lies.)

So yeah. I did the typical Heidi move and ate emotionally. :roll: Went to bed grieving and woke up grieving. And because I ate a large meal, kind of late last night, (this meal, btw, largely on plan) so anyway I'm not hungry this morning and deeply debating whether I'll just fast today. We'll see. I hardly ever bark back to my appetite, but maybe today I will.

Meanwhile, Leonard Cohen on my ear buds and Zentangle in my hands.

Please God, protect me from the depression that is looming.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:39 pm

Hi Heidi,

Glad to see you back and posting.

So sorry to hear you are going through a really tough time. Hoping that this resolves well and soon for you.

Take care of yourself.

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:07 am

Mon

Awesome workout this morning! Circuit room plus crunches, leg press, and quad xt. 40 minutes, HR 145

B: Rice G BOMB
L: Bean burrito, rice and corn, salad
D: Ramen veggie soup

Going to start eating a hefty breakfast right after my workouts\before work at 6:00 a.m. We'll see if it helps my overall energy over the course of the day.

Haven't heard anything from my son. He went all judgy and stuff on Thursday. His sister and my husband told him he needed to apologize. I left him a VM message. No one has heard anything :( His wife says he is not getting ready to go manic, and even said he had been writing some things out, which made me think he was going to apologize. But I know how it is...if you did something stupid and delay repenting, a little flag of pride goes up and it gets more and more difficult to do so. I fear that is where he is.
Anyway, nothing I can do about it but pray. Heartbroken. I don't want him to stay gone, but he does need to apologize. He insulted everyone in the family, and hurt a lot of people with his words.

I've got my food sanity back to somewhat normal. There was that emotional eating, and then I stopped by on Saturday to pick something up at my daughter's house and she was having a party so I had some off plan food there...and now I'm done. Yesterday was a really good food day. Total down day. Stayed home, watched Lady Cop shows literally all day long. And ate on plan. :nod:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Daydream » Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:55 am

Bunsofaluminum, I'm sending you big hugs! I hope the stress eases up for you.
Daydream

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:21 am

Daydream wrote:Bunsofaluminum, I'm sending you big hugs! I hope the stress eases up for you.

Awww sweetie, thanks so much!

Tue
Winter Solstice! woo hooo!

Rest day, no gym. My knees are responding well to this every other day stuff :nod:
Eating a decent breakfast first thing

MEAL PLAN:
B: beans and toast
L: rice G BOMB
D: veggie noodle soup
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:31 am

Wed

Woke up with my heart racing at 2:30 a.m. HR 86 bpm lying in bed. I got up so I wouldn't disturb Wylie, where it took about a half hour to calm down, and it's been tachy off and on all morning.
So I skipped the gym. When my HR is on edge like this, it only takes a little bit to get it really racing, like in the 150's sitting still. If I exercised in my current state, I'd have a very uncomfortable experience in a very short time.

B: two pieces wh wh toast w. avocado; garbanzo beans out of the can YUM
L: Ramen veggie soup (I listed that the other day and didn't end up making any)
D: rice and spinach :nod:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:41 pm

Good morning,

(took me 4 times to log in this morning, so annoying!)

Have you updated your MD about that heart issue? is concerning.

I have done a lot of therapy over a 'dysfunctional' childhood (to say the least). One thing that really helped me was to remember Locus of Control. You can only control YOUR thoughts, feelings, behaviors. You can't control what your son does or his behaviors. He is an Adult, and adults take responsibility for their actions.

Yes, it hurts a lot when beloved family members get all reactive and judgy (childlike behaviors). In fact, I now know that his behaviors have nothing to do with you.

Stay focused, centered, grounded, and if he wants to talk, then you can set the ground rules.

Meanwhile, carry on and work on YOU.

Good luck, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals