Buns Again

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Buns Again

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:25 am

deweyswakms wrote:Friday

Oh dear, that knee! What foods heal knees! ha. I like that you are STILL HERE, keep writing and sharing. But seriously, baby it, right now.

And yes, frankly for me, I really wasn't following MWL guides 1 and 2, especially 2. The other guides are easy for me, yet the weight never got beyond a certain #. Now they are the center of my meal, along with the starch component. Even if you eat something off the plan, also add something from guides 1 & 2 to the meal.

I learned a lot about the nutritional quality of what I was eating by logging in my daily foods to the https://cronometer.com/ tool. Maybe play with that while you are resting the knee.

Good luck, Marsha

HI Marsha'

Cronometer is very cool. I love how it gives you a graphic representation of the nutrients. That's where I learned about protein in plants....ALL PLANTS have ALL essential amino acids in some amount. There is ZERO protein deficient plant food in the world. Kale in fact has more protein than egg white.

Well, I've been resting my knee. Had a shot of cortisone last week, and finally six days later, it feels more normal. Still not at "take a brisk 30 minute walk" stage, but I am now able to get around without the cane. I have a PT appointment and going to learn some exercises to help strengthen and evidently some pain relief as well.

But I'm gonna be honest, it's taken the sails out of food prep for me. Hobbling around the kitchen is a far cry from puttering, eh? So I ate the last of my salad yesterday and I"m also out of ingredients so I have to hit the store THEN hobble around making the salad. *sigh*
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:13 pm

Okay, so I went to physical therapy today for my knee. He tested my extension and flexion range of motion, and set me up for quad extensions, kettle bell squats (very light weight on the kettle ball, and very moderate squat, not low squats at all) Both knees need attention, it's just the left that was collapsing and screaming with pain that sent me to the dr. to begin with.

Anyway, I have a membership at Planet Fitness, and just started reading Younger Next Year, with its recommended 6 days of exercise every week - cardio - and three days of strength training a week. The PT recommended getting into the gym for these exercises so I'mma start taking advantage of my Planet Fitness membership that I haven't used one time in how long? at least 18 months. But I'm excited to start doing this. Strengthen my knees and enable myself to start walking again.

To think, when I started up with the regular walking it was my feet I was worried about. BUT eating this way relieved that pain :) and now I'm just gonna strengthen my knees. I'm taking it slow. The PT recommended very shallow squats with zero or very low weight to start, but he also predicted that it will improve rapidly. Here's hoping so!

I have so much hope from the book, honestly. It seems like hard-ish work, but the hope is so big. Improving my quality of life by moving myself...haven't got to the eating part, but I figure I already know that stuff and will continue as I have been :nod: But seriously, the knee pain made me feel downright feeble, hopeless, and depressed. I do not want to get that way AT ALL and one of the premises of this book is that being physically fit turns you around and you slow the decay.

Most prominent was a statement about getting old. Essentially, we are statistically likely to live into our 90's. Some people love the idea, but the majority are like me "No thank you" ... but here's the thing. You are likely to live that long whether you want to or not. And the book points out that going into old age physically fit, with a sense of purpose and some community contacts, is better than going into old age unable to get around, isolated, and pretty much decaying while you sit there waiting to die.

To start, I'm going to hit the gym daily starting tomorrow for VERY EASY GOING exercise. I do not want to stress this knee. It's been feeling good, and the little bit I did at the PT...well, it's telling me about it so yeah. Ain't gonna overdo. Period. But I am going to start tomorrow with the PT exercises.

Going to finish the book, and next Monday I'll start on a regular, six day per week, exercise regimen, which will also include the PT ex's but yeah. Going to get my heart rate up daily, and also going to do strength training.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:25 am

Ahhhhh...what a workout!

Yessss! I went to the gym this morning and put in just under an hour. Weights for 30 minutes, and stationary bike for 20 minutes. Felt good and feels good. I did the leg exercises as recommended by the PT, and added upper body everything. Noodle arms, FTW!

And funny thing, on my way home, driving up my street, I see this dude walking along briskly...it was Wylie! :lol: the sleeper inner got up shortly after me and got out there, booking it! LOL. But it feels good to get my blood moving, considering that almost my whole life is me coagulating on the couch or computer chair. No more...going to get fit, and stay there. I did the 20 minutes on the stationary bike with no problem at all, so I plan on that being my daily exercise, and I'll add the weights every other day-ish.

Eating's going great. I'm enjoying sweet potatoes with greens. Salad ran out so I haven't been pre-loading with salad. Bought some cabbage along with lettuce so I can make soup AND salad. We harvested a LOT of tomatoes yesterday...the grape tomatoes are like candy...what a treat. And I'm planning plenty of meals using tomatoes...starting with a tomato and lettuce samwich today for lunch! Oh man that sounds good.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:27 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:the knee pain made me feel downright feeble, hopeless, and depressed. I do not want to get that way AT ALL . Most prominent was a statement about getting old.

Hello, this is SO TRUE! I am 'old' now (75 in January). Swimming pool still closed, darn, so I rely on long walks (gotta keep moving); love the Classical Stretch by Essentrics for my body. But, oh my yes, get thee to the gym. Getting the body stronger is a huge win for many reasons.

keep going, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:14 pm

deweyswakms wrote:
bunsofaluminum wrote:the knee pain made me feel downright feeble, hopeless, and depressed. I do not want to get that way AT ALL . Most prominent was a statement about getting old.

Hello, this is SO TRUE! I am 'old' now (75 in January). Swimming pool still closed, darn, so I rely on long walks (gotta keep moving); love the Classical Stretch by Essentrics for my body. But, oh my yes, get thee to the gym. Getting the body stronger is a huge win for many reasons.

keep going, Marsha

If there was a swimming pool open early enough, I'd absolutely do swimming as my aerobic exercise. It's "my sport"...I competed in both racing and synchronized swimming as a teen and I love the water. But Planet Fitness is less than 10 minutes away, and working from home means if I get in there by 5:00 I can put in a good hour and be home for a shower and breakfast, then sit down to my desk. :nod: First thing in the morning. Ahhhhhh...

Today was day 4 in a row. It felt really good the first day and this morning I was sort of craving it. I love the rush, but even better is how my knee is TOTALLY improving. Not using the cane any more, taking the stairs almost normally (but I descend the stairs backwards :lol: Funny looking but it works) The very first day I did weights in a circuit area, then 20 minutes on the bike. I'm aiming to increase my aerobics time, and add weight training for three days a week.

I was enjoying the morning walks a lot, but this gym action gets my blood really going, and that's what feels so good all day long. I'm just glad that the bike and the other exercises aren't hurting but helping my knee. Both knees, eh? I've had fitness kicks in my life...Curves graduated into an athletic club membership and early morning Boot Camp classes for a few months...kicked my BUTT, but I got to where I could run a mile, without stopping. Then in 2012 I started DDP Yoga which was 100% awesome. I was under 200 lbs and the yoga just sent my energy into the stratosphere. I literally couldn't sit still. I walked to work 2 miles there and back, as often as I could. If I couldn't walk to work, as soon as I got home I'd get out the door for a 45 minute walk. Hiking, jogging, walking, yoga...lord, I was FIT.

Slacked off after getting in a relationship and spending my mornings snuggling instead of doing my yoga and also gained some weight. Then at the beginning of 2015 I hurt my knee when I tried to get started back again on the DDP Yoga. :| And eating stupidly was also piling on the inflammation and hurting my feet so I stopped activities even further. OMG I will NEVER go back to the Pain Socks. Thank you Dr. McDougall for this plan! Seriously, it started turning around when I sat up and started back again seriously in about 2018...didn't eliminate the foot pain until I really ditched all oil when my sister got diagnosed with hyper cholesterolemia in summer of 2019...no lie, within a day or two of eliminating the refined oils my feet stopped hurting and I was able to pick up the daily walks. I'll never eat anything that has refined oil in it EVER again.

So here I am now. Consistently sticking with the Starch Solution, and even MWL for most of my food, found a work around for my knee so I'm back to moving again after almost four weeks of resting it. Thankful for cortisol shots and anti-inflammatory meds AND foods. Thankful for physical therapy and exercises that I can do. And Thankful for the motivation provided by this book!

No lie, it's teaching me so much about my body and decay vs. growth and how to go into old age hopeful and motivated rather than fearful and failing. Younger Next Year. Yep.

Oh...almost forgot: We're looking at bicycles! Our anniversary is coming up and I thought a good gift for us to give each other would be bikes. Wouldn't that be a fun activity to do together? Possibly a titch more interesting for the long haul, rather than the stationary bike at Planet Fitness.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:32 pm

But I've got to regain my health. I wake with an ache in my shoulder, elbow, knee, and foot. When I get up from my computer chair at work, it takes a minute to get moving, similar to that horrible arthritis I had in 2014. Some insomnia, especially the early morning wake ups where I can NOT get back to sleep. Five o'clock in the morning is one thing...but 3:00 a.m? no thank you. I plan on going to the Dr, as I am now in menopause. Want to find out about that, and just see where I am with some bloodwork.

And then, just get back to McDougalling. Get my energy and stamina back. Lose weight, lose these joint pains, decrease my inflammation.

Took a look back at the first page of this current journal...Jan 2018. And look at the shoulder and elbow pain I'm talking about. I forgot about those...ha! which means they haven't been an issue, eh? This is why I write in a journal, tbh. Looking back now and then. See where I was and compare to today :nod:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby deweyswakms » Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:07 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:

Took a look back at the first page of this current journal...Jan 2018. And look at the shoulder and elbow pain I'm talking about. I forgot about those...ha! which means they haven't been an issue, eh? This is why I write in a journal, tbh. Looking back now and then. See where I was and compare to today :nod:

Terrific posts; very inspiring actually. Pain is a great motivator! Strengthening the muscles and tissues around all the joints is so important. Great idea to get bikes.

Keep going, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Aug 18, 2021 7:57 am

yah babay, up at 4:30 and at the gym by a little after 5:00...half an hour of weights, and almost 30 minutes of bike. At the 28 minute mark, my knee gave a twinge and I stopped. But I got my heart rate up to 130 :) which is 80%+ of my max and sustained that for about five minutes, then cruised at about 120 or so for the rest of it. Smack dab in the middle of the "fat burning zone" eh?

Eating is pretty good. I'd say 90% because yes, I'm still popping starlight mints and have had some chocolate this week. I'm enjoying salad but today I plan on a big batch of soup. I'm also thinking about the guidelines, and taking Marsha's advice, choosing which one or two to focus on. And I like 2 (50/50 plate) and 9 (eat to satiation)...I am already doing guideline 2, but I have a problem with over eating. If it tastes good, I'll stuff myself. SO...yes. Two guidelines. Eat a 50/50 plate, and eat until satiated, not stuffed. :nod: I can do that.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:20 am

It's been a cool two weeks of working out. Once I got exercise advice from the PT, I took it to the gym, and have been there every day but two (one a rest day. The other a "can't find my keys" day) and this morning's workout was awesome. I feel amazing right now. Got my heart rate up to the mid 130's which is 85% for at least one third of the time, and mid to high 120's at 75% for the rest. Thirty minutes of aerobics on the bike, and then 20 minutes of some pretty heavy lifting. And I learned something. The gym gets CROWDED on a Tuesday by 6:00 a.m. I got there by about 5:20 and by the time I needed to use the free weights there was no room in that area. Took a pair of 8 pounders over by a vacant machine for my bicep/tricep stuff. From now on, I'm up at 4:30 and to the gym by 5:00, not leaving home at 5:00.

So, since Aug 12, I've put in right around an hour daily. Saturday my knee was very unhappy so I rested it on Sunday and yesterday my keys were missing. (They were in an umbrella that I had propped up in the corner after some errands out and about on a rainy day :lol: ) Today I maxed it out for NOODLE ARMS! WOO HOO! But I don't like when it gets crowded. I'd rather be there with fewer people and access to the weights/machines that I need. AND wouldn't it be fun to buy a bike? Be able to go pedal around the neighborhood for my cardio? I'm seriously considering bikes as an anniversary gift for us this September.

Scale still not budging, but I'm just not worried about it. I'm eating extremely well and getting fit. It'll come around. Knee still an issue. I had a cortisone shot that helped for 4 or 5 days (just what I expected) and is back to hurting a lot. It always feels better after the gym. Worse after the stairs, eh? Way worse after sitting for a while. But I did need to rest it on Sunday. Saturday was a BAD knee day. I sure hope it recovers. I have an appt on Thursday and have some questions and want to see about another shot...though if it only works for less than a week??? maybe not.

CBD oil. :nod:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:31 pm

Okay, my knee is back to painful. Using a cane to walk again, as of Sunday. It started hurting pretty bad on Friday and couldn't bear weight unassisted starting Sunday.

Saw the knee dr. today and have an appointment for an MRI with knee replacement ACTUALLY being mentioned as an option. It could well be. She finally sat me down and explained exactly what they're seeing on the X-rays. Where I thought it was a ligament/tendon/hamstring thing, she pointed out where there is bone-on-bone between my knee cap and my femur....in both knees. Can't replace cartilage.

I told her I'm eating a low inflammation diet, and she thought it was a good idea, but also mentioned knee replacement, since we can't replace or regrow cartilage. :( She didn't think it was the thing to do right now, but she did say it is in my future :( She also recommended sticking with my gym visits and putting in a bit less time on the bike. I need to keep at it, to lubricate the joint, but maybe 30 minutes at a go is too much. So I'll head back over there tomorrow morning. Gosh it's been hurting though. Started really bad on Saturday, walking with a cane again starting Sunday, and haven't been to the gym since Monday. Welp, tomorrow it's back at it. I'm bound and determined not to turn into a puddle of sludge on the couch as I age.

And going to simplify my eating again. When I had reactive arthritis back in 2014, I had this pain in every joint of my body, pain levels in the 10's...and I fasted for three days...reduced my pain to about a level 3 and then just ate non-inflammatory. Sweet potatoes and greens. It also helped. I don't know about the fasting, since that can start my heart thudding, but the sweet pots and greens I can do.

See if it helps, eh?
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Aug 27, 2021 7:32 am

Went to the knee doctor yesterday, and was able to get my x-rays explained a little better. Before, the impression I was getting was that my knees looked like the knees of a 60 year old woman, and didn't hear anything about lack of cartilage. Just "some patellar arthritis" but DANG this pain is just awful, how can it be so bad if my knees are kinda average? Well, evidently, between my femur and my lower leg bones, it's quite normal. Pretty much no sign of arthritis or calcification. BUT, the view between my patella and my femur is ugly. There's bone spurs and zero cartilage in some spots, on both knees. In fact, the right patella is worse than the left and it's currently the left knee that is in agony.

So, one of the things she recommended was continuing with the bike, but only for 5 minutes instead of 30. Just to keep the joint moving, which creates lubrication, which makes things easier. I am also planning on adding ground flax seed to my meals every day. I will grind up a couple TBSP in the morning, and then sprinkle it over my food. Also want to start back up with the "golden tea" made with turmeric. When I got reactive arthritis I was almost completely anti-doctor...still MOSTLY am that way, but grateful for docs when Wylie's had his heart attack, and grateful for docs when I was screaming in pain. After all, that is what doctors are for, right? We can steer our own health HUGELY by lifestyle, but in an emergency or acute situation, please take me to the doctor. I can get my BP down, but please don't make me set a broken bone.

Anyway, when I got reactive arthritis, it freaked me out because overnight every joint in my entire body was in agony and I feared it was RA, so I went to get blood labs done, which is how they found it was reactive, not rheumatoid arthritis. And I researched home remedies for joint pain. First thing was to fast. Go without food. And it worked! my pain decreased to about a level 3, from about a level 13. Then anti-inflammatory foods: sweet potatoes and greens. So I'm back in that mindset. I want to be pain free, and medical pro's are telling me that there's no permanent cure other than a joint replacement, so pain management is my life for now. And I can do that to a large extent by cutting inflammatory foods (heh, I guess those insidious starlight mints are out, eh?) and keeping up with the exercise.

New instructions for the gym: five minutes on the bike instead of 30; then the knee ex's that the PT gave me. Quad extension and shallow squats. But I'm going to get my 30 minutes of aerobics in by using the arm bike. I found out this morning that my right arm is MUCH weaker than my left. So I did seven on the bike for the knee, and 20 on the arm bike for aerobics. Then some abs, deltoids, and bicep/tricep stuff. And I feel good. I walked into the gym with my cane and did my workout. :nod:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:21 am

Yikes, knee replacement possibility. Well, the stronger you can make the surrounding muscles and tissues, the better/faster the recovery. And yes to eating non-inflammatory foods. Good luck.
deweyswakms

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:07 pm

Thanks Marsha...I'm going to do everything I can to make it better without that HUGE major surgery.

Which is the main reason I came here. This morning my knee was hurting pretty bad. I went to the gym to put in my 10 minutes on the stationary bike and it hurt pretty bad at first...until it didn't any more! The pain went away! Makes me want to get myself a little portable pedal machine :nod: It felt so good those several minutes without pain, and when I first got up to move to the "hand bike"...same. Pain free! For a few minutes.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:57 pm

Geez I'm edgy today.

Last night, I got home from my PT job and couldn't remove the key from the ignition. The steering wheel was loose, the car was in park and for quite a few minutes, the key wouldn't budge. I texted Wylie to come take a look, and before he came over it came out just fine. Of course. And of course he said "The steering wheel was locked" and it wasn't but he just pooh-poohed me and that was frustrating. I have been driving for my entire adult life and know about locked steering wheels and putting the car in park. But Wylie wasn't having any of that. "The only POSSIBLE problem is that the steering wheel was locked or the car wasn't in park" Ticked me off, tbh.

So this morning I went to the gym...and the key was stuck again. Couldn't get it out. Period. So I got out my phone and got video of it, with my own "commentary" Sent the admittedly snarky video to Wylie by text. Hey. I was in pain, and his insistence that I was doing it wrong previously sorta ticked me off, you know? and then drove back home.

The key stayed stuck, with the dash fully lit...Auxiliary. And draining the battery. So I went back outside a few times to try again, and finally about a half hour later, it came out. Wylie got the video, but he never watched it (which I'm glad, because I was in a bad mood and my tone wasn't pleasant) And Wylie drove around using my key and had no problem getting it out. :roll: well duh. It's happened to me three times, and I've been driving it for a year, dude. Of course it doesn't stick EVERY time. But he still maintained that attitude of "poor little wifey, can't figure out car things"

Heh. Then I DuckDuckGo'ed it ;) and found that 2017 Subaru Foresters HAVE THIS PROBLEM. So it isn't just me WYLIE.

but anyway...we've got an appointment to get the problem diagnosed (to the tune of $125 JUST for the diagnostic :angry: ) and probably fixed. They did talk us into a warranty when we bought it, and I pray that this problem is covered. Otherwise, it's probably several hundred dollars...but we'll keep the receipt in case of a recall.

But boy howdy, have we been snappy with each other all day long. Ugh. Wylie is a sensitive person, and picks up energy readily. Me being in a bad mood, he just grumps back at me and we end up glaring at each other all day long. *sigh* When he stomped upstairs to get the VIN for the car diagnostic, I said "Chill, babe. why are we pissed at each other?" and things are a bit better. Took me most of the day to figure it out.

Knee news: I found out yesterday that 10 minutes on the bike relieves knee pain. Last night, I also ate Jr. Mints and this morning my knee was KILLING me...so I'm cutting sugar out. It's inflammatory. If not eating sugar relieves this pain somewhat, I'll do without it. Tomorrow is a PT appointment. I'm still working out daily, on the mornings that my key doesn't stick :lol: and carrying on with the compliant eating. Hoping to see the scale move some day. Maybe now that I'm not eating refined sugar any more :roll:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:33 pm

Well, I had a PT appointment yesterday and got outfitted with KT tape and a new exercise: leg presses. Just like when I run the stationary bike, after three sets of 10 presses my knee was pain free for a minute. :) But more than the tape and the new exercise, I appreciate the little bit of anatomy lesson that I got about the ligaments going from the hamstring to the front of the knee. They attach EXACTLY where the pain is. And of course, the PT had to continually fiddle and poke at that very spot until I was crying :\ :|

But other than being an Over Palpater, he gave me hope. If this is a soft tissue injury and not bone-on-bone arthritis under my kneecap, there may be healing and a pain free future...an avoidance of knee replacement surgery. I was getting a little freaky and somewhat depressed thinking that my pain all comes from this arthritis. You can't replace cartilage and it felt hopeless. As if the only permanent solution would be to get rid of the knee :shock: which I do not want. But inflammation and damage in ligaments seems like a "gentle exercise and rest" kind of thing. Maybe over time, I'll have my knee back.

Meanwhile, today when it was feeling a little bit pain free, I puttered around the place without my cane...and immediately regretted it. So...walk with a cane, Heidi. Give it a minute. Quit pushing it. SMH. Still feels good after time on the pedals and now the leg press :nod:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals