My Daily "Weighing in"

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My Daily "Weighing in"

Postby squealcat » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:40 pm

Thank you Marsha for your encouragement ! Your comments always make me feel good ! :)

I had this post almost finished and accidently leaned on the wrong computer button and POOF !! all disappeared :crybaby:

So I start once more :
exercise today was 30 minutes of Essentrics stretches followed by 3 miles walking at the gym. I cannot wait for warmer weather and no slippery stuff on our road ! :nod:

Breakfast: Oat groats and mango with cinnamon
Lunch: large salad with my hummus and balsamic vinegar on top. one large baked potato with mustard, 2 bananas
Dinner: I am making rice and beans in my InstaPot as I am typing this. That is my dinner with my veg soup before it.

That's all for today. Going to mass soon so have to get myself ready !

Happy Valentines weekend to you all! Reminds me: I have to get my husband a card !! Maybe tomorrow !

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:13 pm

Hey Marilyn,

You are doing great!!! :)

I am going to check out Essentrics!!!

Hope that you have a wonderful day (and week!!!)...

Cheers,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby squealcat » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:59 pm

Stephanie, I kept seeing things and reading about Essentrics and joined for a free two week challenge and really liked it so I subscribed ! You could look for it on a PBS station and record it on your DVR. That's what I was going to do but really fell in love with it. I want to keep my posture as good as I can as time goes on and also feel so good afterwards. My feet feel better too. Each class really limbers up you whole body.

Today I did an Essentrics class for 30 minutes and then walked at the gym for 3 miles. It would make sense for me to do those stretches after walking but frankly, I just don't want to afterwards ! :roll:

Breakfast: steel cut oats with mango
Lunch: had to run off and meet friends for knitting so just threw together a couple slices of oil free bread with almond butter and fruit-only jam. I knew I would be starving when I got home unless I had something to eat.
Snack: I was a bit hungry when I got home so had an apple followed by a yellow potato with mustard. They had cookies and chocolates at the knitting group thing. If I hadn't had that sandwich before, I would have probably had two cookies and chocolate ! Glad I did what I did ! No cookies or candy for me and I was fine with it ! :nod:
Dinner: veg soup, cooked carrots, rice and beans, pear

that's it for today !
-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:06 pm

exercise today: Essentrics stretches followed by 3 mile walk at the gym

Breakfast: steel cut oats, mango
Lunch: large salad with balsamic dressing and my hummus, rice and beans and then a little sweet potato since I was still hungry. Oh, there was apple in that salad so more fruit
Dinner: big bowl of zucchini soup, baked potato with beans on top, pear for dessert

Pretty good day today. Worked on getting wrinkles out of the dress I will wear at my son's wedding (it arrived at my house in a bag, all wrinkled ). I have found that using a steam iron with a pressing cloth that I spray with water seems to help the best. I am a little worried about the skirt part which is a kind of chiffon material. I may just put it in a steamy bathroom or something. Anyway, I have ironed part of it and it is looking much better. I am also making invitations to the rehearsal dinner. This keeps me busy and I worry less if I can do something about things that need to be done.

Babysitting my grandson tomorrow. I will be taking that soup with me and a big serving of rice and beans and also an apple. Keeping filled up really helps me stay away from temptation.

Have a good week everyone !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:19 am

Hi Marilyn,

Hope that you are having a great weekend!

Just wanted to say thank you a bunch for mentioning the PBS / DVR option for Essentrics. I have recorded some and am going to give one a go today.

Preparing for your son's wedding sounds exciting (but stressful...)... :)

Take care,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby squealcat » Tue Mar 08, 2022 3:51 pm

Haven't posted here in quite a while ! I am mostly posting in the MWL group now.

I continue to do well. Didn't lose any weight last week though but feel curious about this week. My clothes are looser and just generally feel better on me and I feel really good !

Son's wedding is still stressing me out and I don't even have a good reason :-( . We are giving my future daughter-in-law a shower the end of the month. My latest worry is: "what if nobody comes? " :crybaby: Invitations are mailed so I hope to feel better in a week or so when I get feedback. It will be a smaller shower, I think because many relatives live further away now. Smaller is ok but having no one is NOT ok. Silly, yes? That is how my brain is working right now. Sorry, I cannot talk about this to anyone so all of you have to put up with me. This hasn't had an effect on my eating and I persist in eating the MWL way.

I hope to give you all a good report ! :)

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Daydream » Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:29 pm

squealcat, it's sweet of you to give your daughter-in-law a wedding shower. I'm sure people will come! You already have your dress for the wedding so that is a load off your mind. Enjoy eating MWL--I eat that way too and love the food.
Daydream

Postby squealcat » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:00 pm

Today I kept it simple (yesterday too ! :nod: )

Breakfast was cooked faro with mango , cinnamon and cardamom
Lunch: large salad with my hummus and ginger balsamic vinegar , also a sweet potato, black beans and a little corn
Dinner: asparagus, yellow potatoes, black beans, mushrooms and a pear

I wanted to make cauliflower soup today but no time. It has lima beans in it and crushed caraway seeds which makes it pretty tasty (if you like caraway ). I am watching my grandson tomorrow so maybe will make it Thursday.

Anyway, that is it for now. Just wanted you to know I am still around. I have been posting in the MWL area so not as much here.

-squealcat (marilyn)
squealcat

Postby Trinity » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:40 pm

Hi Marilyn,

I’m reading through your journal and I’m only on December 21, 2020 but I wanted to leave you a quick note before I forget. First of all, it is so great that you and your husband just each make your own food and therefore it’s just not an issue between you anymore. Like a restaurant! That is so awesome. Second, I am absolutely the same way in that when I’m hungry I want to pull something out of the fridge and microwave it. My best days are when I’ve made something for dinner in the instant pot and we can just come home and start eating it. Most of what just I (not anyone else in my family) eat for non-dinner meals/snacks is microwaved, peeled russets that I keep in a big bowl of water in the fridge, since even peeling 3-4 potatoes before a meal is just too much work, I’m hungry right now, ha! Sometimes I even go ahead and microwave them, and just leave them in the microwave for when I’m ready to eat them because they stay warm for awhile. Anyways! My point is that I also love my microwave.

Going to keep reading!

Trinity
Trinity

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:07 am

squealcat wrote:
I wanted to make cauliflower soup today but no time. It has lima beans in it and crushed caraway seeds which makes it pretty tasty

-squealcat (marilyn)

That soup sounds so good! is there a recipe somewhere for it?

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby squealcat » Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:16 pm

the soup recipe is in Dr Neal Barnards "Breaking the Food Seduction" book. He has oil in the recipes in this book. I leave it out.

Cream of Cauliflower and Lima Bean Soup

16 oz Frozen Fordhook lima beans
1.5 cups chopped onions
2 tsp whole caraway seeds or 1.5 tsp ground caraway
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 med cauliflower cut into small florets
5 C water
salt and pepper

I leave out the oil ..... Cook lima beans according to directions, drain and divide in half. I water saute the onion, caraway and garlic then add the water and cauliflower and cook until soft. I use an immersion blender and blend it all up with the half of the lima beans. I then salt and pepper it and add in the non-blended beans.

I made it this time in my instant pot. cooked the cauliflower for 2 or 3 minutes. didn't have lima beans but had two cans of butter beans and blended it all up because I didn't have enough cauliflower to make the soup thick. It turned out great ! If you don't add salt, it is quite bland. I add salt and pepper. I really like the taste of caraway in this recipe !

I came to this journal because I was getting tempted to get something crunchy to eat and I am not hungry. I DO NOT want to answer the call to the kitchen so here I am typing away !! Hope you try this recipe and enjoy !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Trinity » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:35 pm

I’m finally up-to-date! I find Christmas/weddings/big events stressful and try to keep it simple too so I don’t lose my mind. Good luck with your future daughter-in-law’s shower. You are doing great sticking with the plan even during times like these!
Trinity

Postby squealcat » Tue Mar 22, 2022 6:17 pm

Here I am again ! I am full from dinner and still wanted something crunchy. I gave in and had saltine crackers....but stopped after that. I think it helps that I am full of the starches I had at dinner.

I walked 30 minutes and did 23 minutes of essentrics exercises today

Breakfast: steel cut oats and blueberries
Lunch: large salad with my hummus and balsamic vinegar, rice and beans after that and a banana
Dinner: cauliflower soup, broccoli, mashed potatoes with kale and some dal I made from a Well Your World recipe (so easy ! It was all frozen veggies and red lentils thrown in my electric pressure cooker .) Had a red pear after dinner and then those saltine crackers. I am done now !

Yup! I DO feel stressed out by this wedding even though I know I have only a couple things to worry about. ( Yes, Christmas stresses me out too ! ) Maybe too many expectations ? I don't know. I have been doing calming things the last week and I feel better but will be glad when it is all over. Taking my walks and doing other exercise really helps and also praying. Once my day begins and I have things to do then it all gets better too. Giving a shower this Saturday along with my daughter and daughter-in-law. Feeling better about that too because I know who is coming and what my duties are. It will be a small shower and visiting with ladies I haven't seen in a long time will be fun. All in all, I really know the whole thing will be just fine ! I am happy for my son and know they will be happy and that is all I can ask for ! All of you are the only ones that know just how tense I am. On the outside I always appear so calm ! Even when I was working as a nurse when going to a high risk delivery "you are always SO CALM ! " No, I was NOT !

Ha ! Enough of the venting !

I may be back here tomorrow ! My tone may be entirely different then ! Who knows?
-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:08 am

I missed reporting on the MWL March thread. Busy weekend but today is my lazy day ! :nod:

Yesterday was the shower my daughter, daughter-in-law and I gave for my son's fiancée. Even though I was initially very worried about this, it did, of course, go VERY well ! It was a small group but very chatty and happy to see each other ! We had plenty of food. I brought raw veggies and fruit salad along with cute pictures of my son and a 47 year old picture of my husband's family on our wedding day. Everyone loved that retro picture and found themselves in it and remembered the hand-me-down clothes they were wearing that day ! I helped clean up after, ran to church to meet my husband for Saturday evening mass and felt very thankful for all I have, all I have been given, for my health and ability to move (as I could see how difficult it was for some of those guests to move around, get up stairs etc. )

I did not eat well at the shower but did not go crazy. I can feel it though in a couple achy joints in my hands, a fuzzy feeling in my brain (brain fog?) and general feeling of lethargy. I am counteracting that by drinking water and green tea today, doing my Essentrics stretches and eating my vegetables and starches. I am going to follow Starch Solution this month but staying away from the higher fat things (peanut butter, vegan margarines, etc ) .

I listened to Dr Lisle's talk on how often to weigh yourself. I am going to follow his advice and weigh the end of the month on three days , averaging it out for the beginning of April. Then will do it again for May. My April experiment !

_squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:52 pm

Feeling much better now that it is later in the day.

Today I cooked starches ! Roasted sweet potatoes in the oven, cooked plain yellow potatoes in the instant pot. Next I cooked 3 or 4 servings of steel cut oats then brown rice in my instant pot. All done for now with the cooking.

I mixed up Happy Herbivore's Mmmmm...sauce and then made Mary McDougall's mayonnaise. I don't use these things often but I need to dress up my meals a bit without adding anything too crazy .

I did 30 minutes of Essentrics stretches today. No walking.

Breakfast: steel cut oats and mango with a little cinnamon
Lunch: large salad (adding chopped up fennel this week to my salads and I like it !) , my hummus and balsamic vinegar used as dressing for the salad. After the salad I had a portion of dal but I just ate it plain. Had an apple afterwards
Dinner: summer squash soup (made the McDougall recipe but used yellow summer squash instead of zucchini because the store's zucchini didn't look too good), broccoli, Japanese sweet potato with half cup of garbanzo beans on top. I put a little of my sauces over that and it didn't need any salt or other seasonings. No fruit for dessert as I am feeling satisfied !

That's it for today. Tomorrow I plan on getting my walking in at the gym. I want to make a no egg salad this week too so maybe will do that tomorrow. I should plan out my week a little first so I don't make too much to eat. I am hoping that a little variety with help me stick to the Starch Solution way of eating but I know that I must be careful not to let in really rich food.

-squealcat
squealcat

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals