My Daily "Weighing in"

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My Daily "Weighing in"

Postby Trinity » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:23 pm

Mmm, I love fresh basil. A recipe I used to make (before my family wholesale rejected lentils) was a super-easy lentil bolognese from the show “The Big Fat Truth.” You could include some zucchini too! You cook some pasta and some lentils, and then for the sauce sauté fresh chopped tomatoes, broth, basil, and really whatever else you want and then put the cooked lentils in, and serve it over the pasta.

https://go.zliving.com/article/5abc6dee ... r-5-people — so sad this show by J. D. Roth didn’t last.
Trinity

Postby squealcat » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:16 am

Just what I needed to see this morning Trinity! I was thinking that I wanted to make something using pasta this week. I LOVE lentils ! I am putting this on my menu for this week. Thanks !

Last evening my youngest son and his new wife came over and we just had sandwiches etc for dinner. Strawberry shortcake for them and I had plain and simple strawberries. Michigan strawberries are in season right now and they are SO sweet ! No green ones, all are ripe and fresh ! I DID have a couple of sandwiches though but left off the cheese and minimumized everything else. The only thing is, I was not prepared for what I (myself) was having and I really should have tweeked it more. The lesson is : plan better ! I planned for everyone else but not for me and I could have chosen a lot better. I am glad I didn't go wild and did not binge. I am fine today.

Exercise today: walked outdoors for 1.5 miles before the humidity goes up

Breakfast: cup of matcha tea (plain) , steel cut oats, greens, fruit and some salad sprouts that I finished sprouting yesterday.

I am trying to stay up on sprouting. I was getting lazy and it is SO easy that I have no excuses. Sprouted the last of my broccoli seeds last week and now working on a mixed bunch of zesty seeds that includes radish. So healthy ! My goal is health !

Lunch will be a large salad. I have made this a routine. Today's will include some of the beets that I am cooking right now in my instant pot. I will plop on some garbanzo beans as well and hopefully that will fill me up.
Dinner: will include some of the chickpeas and also brown rice and steamed zucchini and I have some veg soup thawed so will have that before the meal. Sounds like a plan to me !!

Besides beets, I plan to cook up a bunch of potatoes. Will rinse out the pot so I don't have pink potatoes :lol: !

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby Ruff » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:03 pm

You got to watch those Zucchini! :lol: I dont know about yours but mine wait, all teeny tiny, hiding under leaves, until I have checked for them, and then put on a HUGE growth spurt so when I come and check them the next day they are all sitting there being big fat smug marrows and grinning at me.....
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby squealcat » Fri Jul 22, 2022 6:12 pm

Yes, katie, we vow every year to keep an eye on those zucchini and always we forget one day and find a baseball bat sized one smiling at us !! So far, so good this year. I have a one pounder on the counter top right now and that's the biggest one. I need one more pound and I can make the zucchini soup that is on this site. Very easy and very tasty !!

I have been neglecting to update my journal. Too many things to do I guess. Also, have been reading my book (The Great Alone) and it is getting pretty good ! Should be done in a couple of days !

Exercise: walked 3 miles at the gym and then more steps while getting groceries, so more than 10,000 steps today !

Breakfast: steel cut oats, a little soy milk, flax seed meal, blueberries
Lunch: very large salad, balsamic vinegar and 1 Tbl of tahini as dressing. Also polenta and scrambled tofu
Dinner: corn on the cob (the first corn of this year and SO good !!), steamed broccoli, two slices of Ezekiel bread, one veg burger and tomato . I feel pretty satisfied so I guess I am done for the day.

I haven't had any bingeing in quite a while. Yesterday I was tempted to get a sweet thing at a restaurant but held back long enough to think about what I could have at home. Well, instead of that calorie filled baked item, I went home and made a shake in my blender using one banana, a tablespoon of cocoa and a little vanilla and soy milk. It was delicious and a LOT less calories than what I would have bought. I don't have bread very often and instead I usually have potatoes or rice. Very satisfying !! My loaf of bread is in the fridge and is about 3 weeks old now. I will have to start inspecting it to make sure there is nothing green growing there !

Now, I MUST catch up on everyone's journals !! I will get that done this weekend! I am feeling pretty good, my blood pressure is very good now (it was running high when I wasn't eating well ---- lesson learned ) it feels easier to walk now as my legs were feeling heavy with water weight I guess. I am losing weight again and my belief is back !!

I will catch up on journals and comment too !

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:23 pm

Hi Marilyn! :)

Your food always sounds delicious!!!

Great job on the no-binging and the "different" treat!

Hope that you have a great week!
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby squealcat » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:58 pm

Thank you Stephanie for your wishes !!

Exercise today: Kind of rainy this morning and muggy so walked outside for maybe 30 minutes. Tomorrow is supposed to be cooler so look forward to a full 3 miles then.

Breakfast: old fashioned oats, pineapple and a splash of soy milk
Lunch: large salad that included beets, kale, spinach and tomato and lots of cucumber with balsamic vinegar for dressing. I ate all the leftover tofu scramble and polenta after that
Dinner: peach, zucchini soup (blended in basil after cooking.....YUM !!) and corn on the cob You can find the recipe for the soup on this website. It is called, I think, Easy zucchini soup !! It is just onion, garlic, basil and zucchini ! :nod:

Now, I confess that between lunch and dinner I had a bowl of granola with a little soy milk. I measured it out to make sure I didn't overdue it. Because of this snack, I wasn't very hungry for dinner . I was glad I had made the soup so I could just have that and one ear of corn. That was enough for me. No bingeing today but I had in the past planned on having a cup of tea while sitting quietly whenever my husband left the house in the afternoon to go to the store. I forgot about this today but am glad I measured out the cereal and was aware of what I was eating.....I just wasn't aware of what I had planned to do. Oh well ! Next time !

Oh, I finished "The Great Alone" today ! really good book. It gave me a good picture of Alaska, especially the more remote places. It sounds like a beautiful state ! I am also reading "Tiny Habits" and so far, ok but I liked "Atomic Habits" better.....but I am really not far into it yet so this is not my final thought on that book.

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:26 pm

Much cooler day today and less humidity !

Exercise: walked 3 miles outside today :-D

Breakfast: old fashioned oats, flax seed, pineapple and I had a banana before my walk along with green matcha tea
Lunch: large salad, balsamic vinegar for dressing, mashed potatoes
Dinner: oil free bread with tofu and tomato and another banana

I need to plan my daily menu better as I ate too much today. I have already written tomorrow's food down. Live and learn ! No, I did not binge today. :-)

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:38 pm

Exercise today: walked 3 miles outside Beautiful weather today !

Breakfast: old fashioned oats, splash of soy milk, peach
Lunch: large salad, balsamic vinegar, 1 Tbl tahini (I measure this always ), grape tomatoes,
Dinner: steamed broccoli, large bowl of zucchini soup, mashed potatoes, cheeze sauce (that I made), apple

I had something else at lunch but can't remember what..... I know it was something small...hmmmmm ? Oh ! it was corn on the cob !! :nod: I had a smaller lunch because I had a Lara bar or something like that so not hungry for anything heavy.

Good day today. Really just ordinary with nothing special. Tomorrow I watch my little grandson and have my lunch packed and ready to go !

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby Trinity » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:24 pm

Hey Marilyn! I also liked The Great Alone. I would love to visit Alaska someday, as long as it’s in the summer! Have you got another book lined up? I just started reading Atomic Habits and I like it so far.
Trinity

Postby squealcat » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:58 pm

Well, 2 1/2 weeks with no binge and.....it happened today. Booooo! I am trying to assess why it happens. Part of it is I made a poor choice yesterday when out to lunch with a friend even though the rest of the day went well.

Exercise: walked 3 miles outdoors. The weather is perfect right now !!

I tried something different for breakfast and that may be another reason why my day didn't go well. And THEN I went grocery shopping :crybaby: . I brought home a lot of veggies for my salads but also a couple of items I should not have bought.

So now I plan for tomorrow. My stomach does not feel too great (not sick, but just over full :duh: ).

tomorrow: oatmeal and fruit for breakfast, large salad for lunch with a leftover sweet potato and maybe fruit, dinner? not sure yet but I need to make some brown rice so maybe have that with broccoli and fruit for dessert. I plan to walk again in the morning as usual. I think the big word for me is USUAL ! I like my routine foods and, I guess, if I sway too much then I sway WAY too much.

Tonight I will have a bowl of my zucchini soup with basil. That will be the last of that batch but I have another zucchini on the counter so maybe will make more or maybe just steam it. I like steamed zucchini too. I bought a melon that maybe someone here recommended?? it looks like canteloupe , or probably is a type of one but there is the word "sweet" in the name of it. It is VERY good with a good flavor and is sweet but not too sweet. It was priced as "buy one get one for $1" so I got two ! Thank you to whoever recommended !

Have to go now. I am getting too chatty! :nod:

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:07 am

So far, so good for today !

Exercise: walked a bit over 3 miles this morning. As I was walking, it just popped into my head that I could walk 3 miles and then walk a bit more to the "turn-around" and back home. That would be a little less than 3.5 miles. I did that pretty easily as I feel like my legs are a little stronger from walking on our street with all the little hills as all. :) I am thinking of making a habit of walking that extra little bit every evening at about 7:30 while my husband eats his dinner.

Breakfast: steel cut oats, peach and a little soy milk (YAY for going back to my usual and much loved breakfast !!)
Lunch: (will be) a large salad made up of power greens and my sprouts and tomatoes and cukes....with balsamic vinegar and a bit of tahini for dressing. I will cut up my last cooked Japanese sweet potato and mix it in. If still hungry then maybe the rest of my zucchini soup.
Dinner: for sure I will finish the soup I mentioned before, then steamed broccoli or asparagus and brown rice (cooking right now) and the rest of my cheeze sauce that is nearing expiration. I have a little tofu that I need to use up too so will mix in with the rice.

I am feeling SO much better now that my intention for the day is in my mind. I listened to a podcast about setting habits in place (one of my favorite things to study) . It was very good....not much new to me but always helps me to think more about it.

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:30 pm

Hey Marilyn!! :)

You are doing great!!!

I think that I may have been the peep to mention the "Sugar" cantaloupe... I eat a couple of melons every week and know all of them that are available here!!! My favorite fruit!!! :lol: (Other best cantaloupe is just called in groceries here "Orange Melon")...

Saw your book recommend on Trinity's thread... Loved the Paula Hawkins "Girl on the Train" ... and have put the other you mentioned in my "to read" pile...

Thanks for mentioning the Alaska Kristin Hannah one... Will check that out too... My favorite of hers is "The Nightingale"... but I also love "FIrefly" and "Fly Away" ... and perhaps a bunch of others...

Maybe we can all have virtual book club!!!

Hope that you have a fantastic weekend!
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby squealcat » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:41 pm

Stephanie: The Nightingale is one of my all time favorite books !! I remember crying as I finished it ! I think we already DO have a book club going ! I have made notes of books the others are reading. :nod:

Exercise: ?? none today. I was watching Felix today. I am NOT an afternoon exerciser. Just can't get myself to do it then. I have started to take a mini walk at 7:30 each evening....just 10 minutes so I can add to my steps to make it to 10,000 or usually 11,000.

Breakfast: steel cut oats, peach and splash of soy milk
Lunch: large salad, balsamic vinegar and 1 Tbl of tahini, 2 slices of Ezekiel bread, veg burger with lettuce and tomato, 2 cups of that delicious sugar melon :-D (my favorite thing right now !)
Dinner: steamed zucchini, brown rice, mixed bean soup and fruit

Today was a great day ! I was a bit tempted to snack at my daughter's house but I kept telling myself that I am not the type of person to do that. I don't eat unless I am hungry. I knew I would be proud of myself for that and i AM !

I watch Felix tomorrow and again Wednesday. It is a little tiring but then my son-in-law said today that this week is not very busy for him (he works from home ) so I didn't need to stay as long. So tomorrow my plan is to get my walk in, shower, and then get to their house by noon in time for Felix's care and tube feeding. I will probably stay until 4:00.

We go on vacation Saturday. I was all tense about it and starting to worry until I stopped myself and remembered how it all goes. It is always just fine ! We will probably not even eat out the first two days. The other days it will be one meal eaten out. Traverse City is very veg friendly so not too bad for me. I will just have to made good choices.

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:59 pm

Exercise today: walked 11,024 steps

breakfast: old fashioned oats, mango, splash of soy milk
lunch: large salad with balsamic vinegar and 1 Tbl tahini as dressing, 2 slices of Ezekiel bread, lettuce, tomato and veg burger, also some sweet kiss cantaloupe
dinner: steamed zucchini, brown rice and stuffed pepper s oup, also a banana

was happy to get my steps in today. tomorrow's temps will be in the high 90's . I will go to the gym to walk before watching Felix. Not sure I will want to walk any more in the evening.

I did some reading today and played games with my granddaughter as well as helped her learn to play the piano. I really haven't played since sophomore in HS but I guess I know more than she does. I wish I had practiced more and kept it up. Little Felix is doing well and seemed to be in a good mood today. I will be ready to be done tomorrow. Three days is enough for me.

Nothing much. Will be glad to have elections done for now. Tired of phone calls and mailings . Enjoy your evening everyone ! Stay cool (unless you are in New Zeeland....then keep warm?

-Marilyn
squealcat

Postby VegSeekingFit » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:10 pm

Hey Marilyn!!

Wow, you get a lot of steps!!! :-D

Love how you support your grandkids!!! That is priceless...

Hope that you have a wonderful upcoming vacation.

Wanted to say that I cried a ton when reading "The Nightingale"... Glad we have a mini-book club!!!

Best,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals