My Daily "Weighing in"

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My Daily "Weighing in"

Postby squealcat » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:19 pm

Day before last was a not so good day as far as eating. I started to put a lot into my mouth even though I was not hungry. Somehow I was feeling like I had permission ! Crazy ! Anyway, I did not feel well when going to bed that night and then woke up around 1:30 with "the runs" ! :duh: I think my body was trying to protect me by pushing everything through. I felt much better after that and was able to sleep again until my usual time. Needless to say, I did not repeat that craziness again and feel much better. Had a large salad yesterday and today and my veggie soup at dinner time. Funny how I feel the need to have vegetables after all that. I must inwardly sense the need to have that what is good for me.

I noticed that on the Essentrics web site they offered 2 weeks free (trial ) and I took them up on it. I have heard so much about this and wanted to try it out. So far the three days I have tried it have been great ! I did the stretches before my walk today and could walk so much faster since my muscles were awake. Felt good !

Nothing much more to report. I put my scale in the closet but might just get it out once a week to see where I am. No temptation that way to get it out more frequently. How often do any of you weigh yourselves?? Does daily weighing mess with your brain or does it just make that number seem "matter of fact"?

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:00 am

squealcat wrote:then woke up around 1:30 with "the runs" !
I noticed that on the Essentrics...

-squealcat

I love Essentrics! such good and gentle but effective stretching. And, after several episodes of increasing pain with the middle of the night GI tract issues, I have learned my lesson. The last one was the worst. And I know it is from eating crap (I suspect wheat or maybe a non-celiac disease food sensitivity). Never again.

Good luck, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby squealcat » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:31 am

YES Marsha ! I was thinking that exact same thing too! Usually after eating bread I get very gassy and bloated. If I have just one slice maybe not so much. I am really starting to think that limiting gluten may be a good thing to do. I will have to observe how I feel after having gluten-containing foods. I just made Dr Gregor's grain mix recipe which contains a couple of gluten grains. There is a way to make it gluten free so I will do that the next time and compare how I feel.

I remember feeling very uncomfortable after drinking milk and milk products many years ago and was surprised at how all the symptoms disappeared after eliminating it. That was the beginning of my looking into this healthy eating plant based way. People still look at me funny when I say I don't drink cow's milk. They think it is so healthy !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:36 am

squealcat wrote:YES Marsha ! I was thinking that exact same thing too! Usually after eating bread I get very gassy and bloated.

I gave up cow's milk and milk products years ago. Now I only have maybe 1/4 cup of almond milk on oatmeal. Too many bad episodes after any dairy products (sob, no ice cream).

I am now highly suspicious of any wheat products. I may venture into trying some gluten-free items, later, but frankly not tempted after so much misery. I don't really need them. There are gluten-free bread if you want them.

I like how my body feels now; no bloating or gas or pain. Am in no hurry to change that by going back to eating that stuff.

Good luck, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby squealcat » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:11 am

Yesterday (and the day before , to be truthful :P ) I had a slice of homemade bread. Yesterday I noticed within 30 minutes some rumbling and bubbling going on in my abdomen. OK, today is a no bread day. I will compare.

I am still struggling with the MWL plan (as you can see by the bread ) but I am not giving up. I am making small changes trying to get to a place where I am comfortable and losing some weight AND eating healthy. Having veg soup before dinner is actually (finally) working out well but now I have to get used to steamed veggies after that, 50/50 with my starch ! That is my goal for the day. Work on dinner ! :nod:

I just finished my Essentrics workout and I really do love it ! The time just flies !! It gives me energy and my walking at the gym will be faster too !

Now I need some breakfast as I am hungry. Oats and fruit for breakfast today. I have pears to use up so that will be the fruit today. Lunch will be a big salad and some kind of starch. Not sure what yet.

Today I will make a pot of rice. Running out of starches. I still have some cooked potatoes but need to keep on top of it.

bye for now !
squealcat
squealcat

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:38 am

squealcat wrote:Yesterday (and the day before , to be truthful :P ) I had a slice of homemade bread. Yesterday I noticed within 30 minutes some rumbling and bubbling going on in my abdomen.

BINGO! I hope you will take a few days on the elimination diet; consider it a lab experiment! I log my results; helps to identify what issues I have.
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/co ... s-to-food/

I am still struggling with the MWL plan (as you can see by the bread ) but I am not giving up.
Good, never give up. Yes, we have to find the combinations that work for our bodies and our lives, within the MWL guidelines. They do work.

squealcat

Good luck, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby squealcat » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:11 pm

thanks Marsha ! You have been so encouraging !

Today I was able to check off all the 10 points on the MWL plan. This means I had no bread :unibrow: or crackers and no other fatty foods.

I went over my weekly MWL checklist today and determined that I am doing quite well on #1 now which was a problem for me before. Now I will concentrate on #7 which says to eliminate high calorie dense food like bread, crackers and cookies.

I sometimes feel like a failure and like I have accomplished nothing. Today I thought back and realized that 5 years ago I rarely ate salad or vegetables, I didn't walk for exercise like I do now almost every day, I frequently stopped at fast food places on my way home from work. I don't do that now . I have maintained my weight and am really good at that but now I have to figure out how I will eat to maintain a lower weight. I think getting real good at following #7 is key to that. :nod:

Since I had no bread today, I am noticing that there are no gurgles in my abdomen. All is calm ! :)

I am going to soak some oat groats right now to cook for the next 3 or 4 breakfasts. Had old fashioned oats and a pear for breakfast today but love to have my food all ready to heat up ! Salad and bean soup was lunch and veg soup, broccoli, potato and a homemade bean burger followed by a banana was dinner. I am comfortable. :nod:

Maybe "see" you tomorrow ?
-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:25 pm

Exercise today: 30 minutes of stretch exercises and walked about 50 minutes

Breakfast: a pear and oat groats
Lunch: large salad with added romaine lettuce and a large sweet potato
Dinner: vegetable soup, broccoli, brown rice and black lentils followed by an orange

Two days now without eating any calorie dense foods (like bread or crackers) . This is my special challenge for the week. So far, so good !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:00 pm

I am feeling really good today and in a good mood. Eating well and exercise really helps with that.

Exercise: active stretch for 30 min. and walked for 30 min.

Breakfast: pears (they were small ) and oat groats (I am liking these groats more and more ! :nod:
Lunch: very large salad with my hummus and balsamic vinegar for the dressing, also a baked sweet potato with black lentils on top (I used to dislike black lentils and even threw some out once ! I love them now ! ) :P
Dinner: the last of last weeks veg soup , brown rice, broccoli, black lentils again ! Probably an orange for dessert

That's my day ! So far, so good ! I am always on the alert for missteps. I know from experience that things can go great and then a thought enters my brain and I am eating something I (really) don't want and then regret steps in. Trying to avoid this by being aware , always aware !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:19 pm

I forgot again to post on the MWL board for the week. I think I will just journal here for now.

Today I took a day off from walking but I did the Essentrics stretches for 30 minutes.

Breakfast was about a cup of mixed grains, cooked with blueberries and flax seek and a splash of almond milk
Lunch was a bowl of veggie soup, half of an Ezechiel english muffin with a Tbl of almond butter on it
Dinner will be finishing off last week's veggie soup and maybe some pea soup

I made pea soup using yellow split peas. Not fond of it but I will use it this week. I really like green split peas better. Live and learn ! I also made black lentils in a gravy to put on potatoes or rice. It really turned out good (like SOS vegan style). I baked sweet potato and yellow potatoes today in the oven.

I did really well this week and even lost a couple pounds but today was harder for me. I am OK now but other foods were calling me. Trouble is, I will not be very hungry tonight but will for sure have the veggie soup.

I need to buy some zucchini tomorrow to make that easy squash soup tomorrow or the next day. Just typing it in so I will remember.

Have a great week everyone !
-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:00 pm

I am making Heather McDougall's zucchini soup. It is cooling in the garage right now so I can blend it later (maybe tomorrow). Pretty easy recipe to follow. I forgot to buy fresh basil. Might pick it up tomorrow on my way home otherwise I will use something else.

I am going to really work at following the MWL plan for February. I listened to an interview of Chef AJ with Shayda and Shayda said she follow the plan as if she had blinders on and didn't look at any other plan (she followed Chef AJ's diet ) and I thought that I really need to get my blinders on and not look around at other's foods, recipes etc. I really have enough of my own to follow.

Breakfast today was a grain mix (included oat groats) with blueberries on top
Lunch was a bowl of veg soup, a roasted sweet potato with black lentils with gravy over the top. Had an apple too
Dinner was a large salad with my hummus and balsamic vinegar and also had a banana

I haven't been eating the greatest the past couple of days . I think I will soon be getting away from facebook and other social media. All that is making things difficult for me and I don't need that.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:36 pm

Exercise today : Did 30 min of Eccentrics stretches followed by 3 mile walk at the gym. I had to push myself a bit at first but then it all went quickly

Breakfast: steel cut oats with blueberries and peaches
Lunch: large salad with my hummus and balsamic vinegar as dressing, brown rice with lentils, I think I had a banana after
Dinner: bowl of zucchini soup , mushroom soup over mashed potatoes, broccoli, watermelon

My day went pretty well today. I finished up a couple of things from the fridge today and was looking at recipes. i think I will try making Sloppy Jill's from Vegan Under Pressure book but first I have to buy beets, mushrooms and more steel cut oats. I will use black lentils instead of mung beans. I like recipes like that because I can pair it with potatoes, sweet potato or rice to make a meal. This recipe uses an apple for the sweetness and that intrigues me. I usually use a recipe by Heather McDougall which has a little sugar in it. I also have a recipe for cole slaw that works really well over the Sloppy Janes (or Jill's) but maybe it has tahini in it. I will have to check and see.

Have a good week everyone !
-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:44 pm

Exercise: Just 30 minutes of Essentrics stretches. that is all :roll:

Breakfast: steel cut oats, mango with cinnamon and cardamom on top.
Lunch: large salad with my hummus and balsamic vinegar, mushroom soup with potato
snack: banana, apple, potato with mustard (I almost had another potato but stopped because I felt satisfied.) It was tempting because those potatoes were still warm and I love yellow potatoes right after they are cooked. So creamy !
Dinner: zucchini soup, steamed veggies, brown rice with lentils. This is the plan but thinking about cooking up some pasta and having that instead of the rice. Marsha mentioned pasta on her journal and I keep forgetting to use it once in a while.

I am watching little Felix tomorrow and I have to get there a little earlier as my son-in-law has to lead an on-line meeting for work. He works from home so I can usually get there around 10 but tomorrow it will be 9:30.

I am working on avoiding over eating this week . Eating when hungry and stopping when satisfied. That also means snacks, if needed. I have to make sure and pack up some extra food in case I get hungry. If I get too hungry, I am in trouble.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:08 pm

Got a text from my daughter that said I didn't need to come and watch my grandson today. Good news, actually !

I was able to go to the gym and get in a couple miles of walking today and then did a few errands. Also stopped at a shoe store and looked at possible shoes for my son's wedding in May. I found a pair (or was shown a pair) that was a little sparkly, has a little heel AND comfortable enough that I can probably walk in them at the wedding and reception ! I wasn't sure that was possible ! They were a bit pricey but comfort is important ! Now I can check that one off my list !

Breakfast: old fashioned oats and mango
Lunch: large salad with my hummus and balsamic vinegar, a bowl of mushroom soup, mashed potatoes. Still hungry so I had an English muffin (a brand with no oil) and a little almond butter. I could have stopped after eating a half of it. I realize that now and will be more careful next time.
Dinner: veg soup, carrots, brown rice with bean soup over it. I will be more aware of how I feel during that meal and eat until I am satisfied and stop. Still working on that one.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:06 am

squealcat wrote:I will be more aware of how I feel during that meal and eat until I am satisfied and stop.
-squealcat

Hi. I am doing that too; really staying MINDFUL of how my body feels. I also notice that I need to wait 15-20 minutes after eating to realize I am full and satisfied.

Carrots are my go-to when I need munchies.

You are doing so good!

Marsha
deweyswakms

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals