My Daily "Weighing in"

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My Daily "Weighing in"

Postby squealcat » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:45 pm

I just read Mark's and Jeff's information for the next year's MWL group. I will be starting this for 2022. I DO believe that following a positive path will lead to lifelong health. It is not the goal that will do it, it is taking action and actually DOING it !

I have been thinking about not weighing myself except for maybe once a month or so because I want to get the feeling that I am just living a healthy lifestyle and not just trying to get to a certain weight. I really would just like to eat healthy, be active and be happy ! Concentrating on a certain weight makes my brain just think about weight loss and then I start thinking about ways to lose weight faster and then I look around at other ways to do it and then I mess up badly. Not helpful !! :crybaby:

So let us embrace this way of living and actually live our lives to the fullest !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby wildgoose » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:04 am

Squealcat, I think you’ve captured exactly the reason that the MWL group made the changes. Do the behaviors, and the results will come! Results come in proportion to the amount of adherence to the behaviors :-D, and they come with time. Hence the new name, based on a long-time maxim of Jeff's: time and adherence.

It’s hard to take the focus off of the numbers on the scale, but we're in this for the long haul. It’s worth it. This is going to be my third New Year's that I don’t put "lose weight" on a list of resolutions. That’s worth celebrating!

See you in the MWL group next week!

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby squealcat » Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:52 pm

I am 69 years old and since I was 9 or 10 I have always thought about losing weight . Since I was probably 13, I have had a New Year's resolution to FINALLY lose weight and solve all my problems. This year my goal will be different.

Yesterday I was looking at dresses. My youngest son is getting married. I looked at the size I figured I would order and that waist measurement really got to me. 34 inches???? Then the worry..... what if I can't find a dress that fits ! WHAT??? Here I go again ! Thinking about size and measurements is just like thinking about my weight. STOP !! Of course I will find a dress. I know the truth. I have to keep telling myself the truth. I will find something this month so that particular thing on my checklist is completed.

I guess I don't really have any resolutions this year. I will just continue on eating to maintain and better my health. I want to live my best life right now ; not when I see a certain number on the scale.

I am curious to find out what it feels like to not weigh myself so often. I may just feel like a "normal" person !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:17 am

I started my day with a 20 minute meditation, ate a banana and then went off to the gym for my walk.

Today's walk was about 3 miles long. I usually say my prayers then listen to my Bible in a Year podcast (which I love ). After that I listen to a Youtube talk usually by someone inspiring and on the same track as me. If I can't find anything then I listen to music for the remainder of my walk. I did some stretches when I got home.

Breakfast was steel cut oats. I didn't have enough to satisfy me so I added some winter squash and topped that with steamed cauliflower. If you haven't tried it, cauliflower is really good with oats ! I sprinkle a bit of salt and some pepper on top. The squash was just meh tasting. I want to go back to oats and fruit tomorrow.

Lunch will be salad as a preload with my hummus and balsamic vinegar as dressing. Maybe a Japanese sweet potato too as the starch.

Dinner? I may make some veg soup today for preload or salad and the soup as my veggies and preload. I made bean soup yesterday so maybe a bit of that over brown rice as my starch. Sounds good !

Like Esther Loveridge, I want to look at this first month as an experiment. How will this path go and where will it lead? Will I feel better or worse (I think I know the answer :nod: ) Can I stop eating food that undermines me? I have a strategy for that and may let you know if it works. I know after a few days it will get easier but I must be watchful ! I want this to be low stress as well.

How are all of you doing? Let's have a very happy, joyful 2022! It will not all be perfect but it can be full of love. Take care of yourselves !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:03 pm

Just as I was finishing my last post, my daughter called and asked me to pick up my granddaughter. Their little two year old son was rushed by ambulance to the children's hospital. He had had a seizure that would not stop. Well, this made me think about how life happens and how it changes in mere seconds ! I also thought about this MWL time and adherence thing and adjusting to make it all work in my life.

Yesterday got a little busier than I was expecting but it was fine. I did have a small bowl of popcorn while watching a movie with my husband and granddaughter and a cracker. So much better than before. I DO think I was using this sudden change as an excuse. I will watch that in the future. :nod: I also found (as it was the first day in quite a while that I followed MWL ) that I felt pretty hungry all day. Thank heavens I had a lot of roasted potatoes in the fridge and cucumber as well. They rescued me !

The bean soup I made, along with brown rice really hit the spot for dinner and I was much more satisfied. I listened to a Youtube talk on the starch solution and finally "get it" that filling up with starches is the key !

My little grandson is doing better today and is getting treated still at the hospital. My granddaughter was just picked up by her dad. Going to add to my starch collection by making some mashed potatoes this afternoon. Maybe some lentil soup tomorrow!

Happy New Year !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Daydream » Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:47 pm

Squealcat, I hope your sweet grandson continues to improve.
Daydream

Postby squealcat » Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:41 pm

Little grandson is coming home today from the children's hospital. Still had a fever last night but all tests came back normal. Maybe a virus? Not THE virus that is going around. I am sure they tested him for that. He is on antibiotics, of course and feeling much better. That little guy has been a mystery since he was conceived . They thought he had trisomy 18 (not compatible with life ) but then all other tests came back ok. He ended up having Nemaline Myopathy which is a muscle disorder that affects his ability to use his skeletal muscles. He has a trach and is on a ventilator. I help take care of him three days a week. Hard to find nurses for home care. I am happy that I can help ! He is a beautiful boy with a calm demeaner that quietly plays with little toys during the day and also likes to watch video . After I leave he is taken up to the living area for time with the family. He enjoys observing everyone and what they do. We love him !

I started this MWL way of eating (or re-started, I should say ). I have been eating rather frequently as I have been so hungry ! Don't know if this is adjusting or what ! I have cooked potatoes and have been eating them with mustard in between and making my portions larger . Trying to just go with the flow.

Oatmeal/buckwheat mix for breakfast with two small pears, got hungry so had about three small potatoes with mustard. Then had a Japanese sweet potato and banana. When I have lunch it will be a large salad with black beans, rice and corn. I hope that fills me up ! Dinner will be rice and bean soup. I am making mashed potatoes right now . Probably will make lentil soup next (today or tomorrow ). I guess my body is trying to figure it all out. Once in a while I think about bread or granola but quickly dismiss that thought. I want to get away from it. Now is the time.

I am happy to feel the freedom of not weighing myself until the end of the month or beginning of the next. Checking my weight is a distraction that is best avoided if I want to concentrate on this MWL program. (takes time and adherence !)

that's all for now. time to mash those potatoes ! :unibrow:

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Sun Jan 02, 2022 4:03 pm

I had trouble with hunger early afternoon. I kept eating potatoes, sweet potato, fruit......then I finally just made a huge salad and put the rice, black beans, corn on top and then salsa. It was pretty good ! I felt satisfied after that and still do. I guess I just needed to eat a full meal ! It just seemed like the time was too close to the breakfast that I ate but I should have just given in and eaten a large lunch. I feel much better now.

PS: when all that hunger was happening, I ate a small chunk of my husband's cheese that he got for New Year. I opened the bread drawer too but then thought about how I wanted to do this experiment and just see how I felt. I passed it by ! YAY ! I must remember that I just need to eat starch !! This is a bit hard right now but it will get easier !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:50 am

squealcat wrote:I had trouble with hunger early afternoon. I kept eating potatoes, sweet potato, fruit......then I finally just made a huge salad and put the rice, black beans, corn on top and then salsa.

-squealcat

So glad to hear your grandson is back home; hospitals are scary places these days. I too don't like to be hungry. I finally realized that fiber is the key. A huge salad like yours always really fills me up. Smart move.

Keep going! Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby squealcat » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:18 pm

" Failure points you in the right direction". quote from ??? don't know :|

I really did quite well yesterday when I was so hungry most of the day until evening. At that time I turned to my old snacks. Not going to say what they were. We don't have a lot of junk in the house; not even chips ! My downfalls are usually bread and dry crispy things and sometimes sweet things like raisins. I had some of those but then stopped.

Today I listened to a YouTube talk (well, it was a few talks ) by Justina Froese. She did an excellent job explaining just what my problem is and got right to the point without drawing it all out. She was taught by Dr Lisle . I should know all this by now but something about how she delivered the information really helped it to stick. The CRAM circuit is what Dr Lisle calls it. Eating after I have already eaten. Looking for richer food even though I am finished eating. I am so glad I found her. She also stresses that we should eat when we are hungry and eat enough starches. If we are thinking a lot about food, we are probably hungry. That is true with me. If I am thinking about food and don't eat, then it is crazy how I just start putting things in my mouth and don't stop.

I have been much more satisfied today and not constantly hungry. I don't know what the difference is but I simply feel quite good now after lunch. I had another salad with black beans, tomatoes, rice, corn and salsa as well as the greens. No other dressing is needed. Lentil soup is in my instant pot. My multi bean soup will be finished today (except for 3 servings that are in the freezer ). I may have that last bean soup over mashed potatoes.

That is all for now. I think I will be back watching my grandson tomorrow. I will check with my daughter later and see. It was nice to be home today however. I got a good 3 mile walk in at the gym and that is always a good start to my day .

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:53 pm

Exercise today: walked 3 miles at the gym and did some stretches

Breakfast: steel cut oats/buckwheat mix with pear
Lunch: large salad, balsamic vinegar for the dressing, black beans and my hummus, also had a quarter of a sweet potato
Dinner: steamed mixed vegetables, mashed potatoes, lentil soup, apple

I seem to be back in sync as far as hunger is concerned. Not overly hungry and not overly full. I didn't have to grab any cooked potatoes today because I was hungry all the time. I feel pretty good about that but I know that I can just eat starches if I start thinking about food. Even if it has only been an hour, if I start thinking about food it means (for me) that I am hungry and I should eat. I continue to observe this in myself and see if I can bypass eating rich foods and instead eat starches.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:53 am

It has been almost a week since I committed to doing MWL . One step at a time is what "they" say ! Today some thoughts came into my brain regarding "how long can I really do this?" It seems like a silly thought because I plan to do this always/forever ! I am feeling a bit tense thinking of the food I have been eating (which I really like, by the way ), and wondering if I can keep this up. That is a ridiculous thought and I am calling it up as false !! I really CAN do this forever and I plan to ! There must be part of my brain that is still wondering about burgers, fries and dessert ! Well, I know I can still have burgers , fries and dessert and enjoy it all and not eat animals and oil. One day at a time !

We got a huge dump of snow yesterday and it continues into today. No walk for me ! I started reading a book about essentrics-type exercise and I have done the first two stretches yesterday and today. The book is called "Ageing Backwards" (I think). This summer I will turn 70 so I have been thinking about ageing. Not fearing it but just wanting to experience it to it's fullest and feeling my best. Eating the starch way and exercising are the paths I want to take.

Breakfast today was a mix of steel cut oats and buckwheat along with chopped apples all warmed up together.
Lunch will be salad followed by a rice and bean mix I have just cooked in the instant pot.
Dinner will be steamed veggies and mixed bean soup over potatoes.

I am planning on making a batch of steel cut oats/quinoa mix on the stove soon for breakfast tomorrow. Always have to think about what is next !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Daydream » Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:07 pm

Squealcat, I am familiar with Miranda Esmonde-White, the Canadian fitness trainer and creator of Essentrics/Classical Stretch. I have most of her exercise DVDs. If you can get PBS on your TV, you can do some of the Classical Stretch/Essentrics workouts in your home. Look for the PBS listings of Classical Stretch/Essentrics in your area. Also, some libraries have Classical Stretch/Essentrics DVDs that you can borrow so check with your local library.
Daydream

Postby squealcat » Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:42 pm

Good idea Daydream ! Thanks !

Back to the gym today after two very snowy days ! It was 4 degrees when I woke up but the sun was shining so I was in the mood to get going ! I walked 3 miles and did some stretches. To the grocery store after that to get ingredients for a vegetable soup (and some other things ).

Breakfast was a mix of quinoa and steel cut oats and pineapple
Lunch was a large salad topped with broccoli sprouts and balsamic vinegar and also lentil soup with the last of the mashed potatoes
Dinner was some of the veggie soup, then broccoli, then rice and beans. I had smaller amounts of the last two as I was not feeling very hungry. I had a banana afterwards. Done !!

I feel determined to avoid bread and crackers this week as that was my downfall on two or three occasions last week. I was not even tempted today.

I was going to wait until the end of the month to weigh myself buy then the thought came to me: " what if I am not going to lose weight doing this ?" Crazy thought, I know. I stepped on the scale to take a peek and (of course) I DID lose weight! Why did I doubt? I have done this before and averaged about 5 pounds per month! I hope I can stay away from the scale for the next 3 weeks now and just believe ! That scale can work against me (I know from experience )! Let's see what happens !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:11 am

squealcat wrote:"

Today I listened to a YouTube talk (well, it was a few talks ) by Justina Froese. She also stresses that we should eat when we are hungry and eat enough starches. If we are thinking a lot about food, we are probably hungry. That is true with me. If I am thinking about food and don't eat, then it is crazy how I just start putting things in my mouth and don't stop.
-squealcat

Great info, thanks. I will listen to Froese.

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals