My Daily "Weighing in"

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My Daily "Weighing in"

Postby squealcat » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:55 am

:) Trinity ! You read that book ? Yes, really liked it ! My daughter has another for me to read. I will let you know how it is, but maybe you have read it already.....will see !

I came here to let all of you know that I made (what I think) is a positive step. I just went on Facebook and deleted myself from a whole bunch of groups. I was surprised how many are not even active and many I am not interested in anymore. I had to take a deep breath before getting rid of some of them as I read them almost daily. I know that the ones I got myself out of were leading me astray. I keep switching out of MWL and trying all the different ones around and I have to stop it. It is not helping me. There are a couple of McDougall groups that are very helpful and positive and I am staying in those.

That is it for now.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Ruff » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:33 pm

Hi SC! Well done on ditching Facebook. It was one of the first things I did after I retired. I never post on my own page but I had all these groups...most of which I never ever went to. I kept an NZ knitting group, a quilting one, and Running with Foot Drop.

Actually I deleted the McD ones too. I found posting here much more helpful, with the added bonus of having people like Dr McD, Jeff Novice, Jim and others available to help if necessary. And being on Facebook kept me away from here, as I am only prepared to spend so much time a day on the computer!

MWL. Its hugely helpful for some people, but not for others. I am a huge fan of basic vanilla Starch Solution. Its not as fast but it is so easy to live with. I have been at this for 10 years, and lost the weight with SS not MWL (around 100 pounds total). Yes it took longer but it worked and I have maintained the loss. If MWL works for you, go with it, its a great plan. For me it felt like dieting (and I love me some plant milk in my tea!), whereas SS just feels like how we eat. Its adaptable enough so my ultra running husband can not die of starvation (he does have nuts and avocado ) but is also a great way of eating for a post menopausal woman.
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby Trinity » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:59 pm

Yes, it sure is a page-turner like you said! I get them through the library online as e-books. I prefer real books but it is convenient this way, and I always have my phone with me to read on the Kindle app. I’m reading “Cloud Cuckoo Land” by Anthony Doerr right now—it’s weird but I’m at the very beginning. “The Plot” by Jean Hanff Korelitz was pretty good. “People Like Her” by Ellery Lloyd was interesting (if shocking)—I didn’t even know what an “influencer” was before reading it!
Trinity

Postby squealcat » Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:31 pm

Trinity: I had to look up Anthony Doerr and he wrote " All the Light We Cannot See ". One of my favorite books ! Let me know how you like the Cuckoo one !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:54 pm

Exercise today: walked 3 miles

Breakfast: steel cut oats, splash of almond milk, blueberries
Lunch: large salad, my hummus (no oil, no tahini ), brown rice on top
Dinner: broccoli, yellow potatoes, strawberries

I did go astray a bit this afternoon which is not reflected in the above meals. I know what messes with my mind when I read about other's eating frenzies so I don't want to mess up anyone else. Tomorrow is a new day. I don't usually have a problem in the evening (thankfully ).

My daughter is almost over covid now and her husband is a bit better too. My daughter is planning on taking me to Chicago on Thursday for a two day mini vacation BUT now their 2 yr old son Felix is sick now this afternoon. He is special needs with a trach and on a ventilator.....some of you may know that. Not sure what is wrong. Hope it is not covid. :( If it is, we will not go on our trip as my son-in-law should not care for him by himself. Will see what happens. As it is now, I will not be going over there Wednesday (I usually care for him once a week ) because I don't want to get covid before our trip. I think their nurse is still going over there 3 days a week but with PPE in place. Will check in on them tomorrow and see what is going on. You think you won't worry about your kids when they get older and are out of the house??? Love never stops though and along with love comes concern and worry . They are such a great team. I am so proud of them ! :-D

Enough for now.
-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Ruff » Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:13 pm

How is Felix?
Katie

Ruff

Postby Daydream » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:23 pm

Squealcat, I hope your grandson is OK. I'm 66 and I'll probably always worry about our 3 adult kids and our grandchildren.
Daydream

Postby squealcat » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:42 pm

I checked with my daughter and little Felix is cheerier today and had a long nap. He has a runny nose and stuff so is definitely sick. They haven't done a covid test on him. I guess they figure that if they need to take him to the hospital then he will be checked there. They know he is sick and they will treat the symptoms with breathing treatments etc like they usually do. Not sure we will be going to Chicago. I haven't asked yet. Maybe see how he is tomorrow.

Exercise today: I walked 3 miles. It was pretty hot today and getting humid but I did the walk pretty easily

Breakfast: steel cut oats and Michigan strawberries :-D
Lunch: large salad with balsamic vinegar and my hummus, also brown rice and ??? forgot what it is called. (made out of whole soybeans....??) I will think of it later. also a banana
Dinner: asparagus, 2 slices of bread and sloppy lentils

done :)
I have 9,700 steps in so far. I may get out for a short walk to see if I can reach 10,000

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:57 pm

Exercise today: Walked 3 miles at the gym today and got steps in at other places and outdoors too. I am now over 10,000 steps for the day.

My daughter is picking me up tomorrow at noon and we are headed to Chicago for a couple of nights! I am excited to do this ! She has planned out the whole thing and made reservations. We will be going to the art museum and doing some exploring and shopping. I really don't get to even talk to her much although we do text a lot. She is a very busy person and busy mom. She is also very different in personality from me too so it will be nice to have this time together and bond a bit.

Her little guy is doing well and her daughter as well so hopefully my son-in-law will be able to cope . My husband will help by picking up my granddaughter from summer camp tomorrow. Little N_ will be happy to see her grandpa!

I will be back posting here on Sunday maybe. Not sure. I know I will be happy to get back to my routine.

I am so glad to see all the new activity on these boards ! So exciting! We need to keep it up and keep things in motion !

"See" you all in a couple of days.
-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Ruff » Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:43 pm

I'm so glad Felix is OK, and you are getting away on your trip. Have a wonderful time away. :)
Katie

Ruff

Postby Artista » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:25 am

Hi Marilyn, you’re doing great so far! Your menus look good and good job keeping up with the exercise. That’s the one I have a hard time keeping up with. The only food or health related group I look at on Facebook is the 100% Esselstyn Reversal Nutrition Form. It’s very close to MWL and the people there are very serious about reclaiming their health, some good recipes too. I just ignore mention of foods that don’t line up with MWL. I avoid everything else on fb unless it’s something art-related.

Let me know how you like the art museum. You said you do Zentangle, I’d never heard about that until I saw people mentioning it here on the forum. It sounds like it would be a lot of fun and relaxing too. I just do traditional art, oil painting mostly or acrylic. I love portrait painting, also still life. Have a good time in the art museum and visiting with your daughter! :)
Artista

Postby squealcat » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:16 pm

I got back home later this afternoon from my trip to Chicago with my daughter. I felt so special and cared for ! I never had someone just plan everything and make reservation for me ! We had a great time walking through Millennium Park looking at all the sculptured, flowers and watching all the people ! Took lots of pictures ! We went to the Art Institute and saw so much beautiful art ! The Cessane exhibit was so great ! I learned a lot about him and his art.

Lots of walking (which was great !). I got over 10,000 steps in on Friday . We went to an Italian market today and there was so much to see. I bought myself some whole grain pastas and one balsamic vinegar. Bought my husband some pasta too along with things he enjoys. So much to see !

Anyway, back to my routine tomorrow ! Not sure I will get a walk in tomorrow but I may just try for 30 minutes ! Have to get to church first. I think the weather will be ok.

Will be back to report my usual life and usual food !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Ruff » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:20 pm

I'm so glad you had such a great time. Its so special if someone actually takes the time and trouble to arrange something for us. AS mums we are normally the ones making the plans and reservations.

I wish it was easy to post photos on here. I will have to look at how to do it again. I used to be able to do it...but photo bucket which I used doesn't have a free membership any more.
Katie

Ruff

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:32 pm

Hi Marilyn,

Your trip to Chicago sounds awesome!!! :D Glad that your grandson is better and that you were able to spend quality time with your daughter. Millenium Park is beautiful... So much excitement in the city!

Hope that you have an excellent week.

Best,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby squealcat » Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:16 pm

Tomorrow I will follow the MWL plan. I have packed all my food to take to my daughter's house (watching little Felix tomorrow) and I have PLENTY to eat ! I will not get into my daughter's cupboards and take out any of her snacks. Once again: I have PLENTY to eat !! :nod:

that is all :-D

-squealcat
squealcat

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals