My Daily "Weighing in"

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: My Daily "Weighing in"

Postby squealcat » Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:56 pm

I didn't do things as I said I would. It has been hard to get back to the MWL way of eating. I mostly eat that way but it is the "in betweens" that are troublesome to me. Also, I have been sidetracked with reading about others of Facebook and what they are doing about their weight. I don't need to do that, do I ?

I can't really tell you just what I had to eat today. I know I began with steel cut oats and fruit. That is pretty much what I have every day and I enjoy it.

Today I made a pasty recipe in my Insta Pot. It has whole grain rice, whole grain pasta, tomatoes, lots of veggies and spices. That will last me 4 days probably. I put some in the freezer for another week. Tomorrow will be oats and fruit for breakfast and a big salad for lunch and that pasta dish for dinner. I work toward eating the way I know is right for the next few days. I hope to report on the MWL group on Friday or Saturday.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Trinity » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:01 pm

Don’t worry, Marilyn! Everyone falls off the wagon. The important thing is that you came back!
Trinity

Postby squealcat » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:51 pm

Well Trinity, I am not back yet ! I did not do very well today but will do much better tomorrow. Trying not to look at other's plant-based eating ways. That trips me up every time !

I DID have a nice 3 mile walk this morning !

I DID have oatmeal and fruit after my walk !

I WILL have a bowl of my pea soup for dinner !

What I learned: don't look at other social media sites for other plant-based groups that don't look like McDougall's way of eating. Don't wait so long to eat breakfast because you (I mean YOU Marilyn !) cannot tolerate being so hungry and you want to eat everything in site ! That is about it. I get too hungry and then cannot stop eating.

That is all for today

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby Trinity » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:46 pm

Well—no matter where you might be eating-wise, you’re back on this forum! :)
Trinity

Postby VegSeekingFit » Tue Jun 07, 2022 8:56 pm

Hi Marilyn!! :)

Come back to the MWL thread!!! We miss you!!!

You can work through any troubles there --- and I have never seen a single person that isn't supportive on that thread... :unibrow: :-D

Best,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby squealcat » Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:11 pm

OK Stephanie, I am back !!

Exercise today: I went to the gym and walked 3 miles. I want to eventually walk another mile outdoors later in the day. Trying to work that in as a habit. Hasn't happened yet !

Breakfast: steel cut oats and mango with cinnamon and cardamom on top (a favorite !!)
Lunch: large salad with balsamic vinegar and my hummus (maybe I need to make more? I will check.) Then potatoes and asparagus
Dinner: carrots and celery first and then my "baked" ziti that is not baked but done in the instant pot. It is a WYW recipe that I like. I will have more asparagus too, I think or steamed carrots.

That's it for today ! I am glad to be back with the group. I am going to wash and cut up some carrots and celery now to put in jars as one of my preloads this week. I also think I need to make more hummus too!

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Artista » Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:08 pm

Hi Marilyn,

I saw your post in the MWL Group thread and I wanted to tell you how much I can relate to being influenced by facebook posts and the whole online WFPB world of people who eat differently from me. It would always end up in a trip to the Pleasure Trap for me. I had to make a commitment to stay away from all of that stuff, at least for the time being. Maybe we can encourage each other in this. I’m glad you will be coming back to the MWL group. Joining that group has helped me to stay on track. Congratulations on a great day today!
Artista

Postby squealcat » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:28 am

Started my day with my favorite steel cut oats. I can eat oats every single day ! Today I used blueberries with them. So good !

Right now I am cooking up some Scarlet Runner Beans. Never had them before but ordered them from Rancho Gordo's and thought I would give them a try. I love beans !! I will also make up some polenta today as well. I already have cooked yellow potatoes and brown rice (in separate packages in the freezer right now) so then I will be all set.

Going to start a new book today and do some drawing. Just finished some laundry (not my usual for a Sunday but my oldest son just left and I was waiting for his towel etc. before washing towels ).

I will see how the day goes and maybe return later to report.

Thank you too all for your support. I am determined to get on this right road and make it a routine.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:33 pm

YAY, Marilyn!!! :)

Glad to see you back!!! Your day sounds great. Hope that you enjoy the week.
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby Artista » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:03 pm

squealcat wrote:Thank you for your comment on my journal page. I have come to the conclusion that I am drawn (and maybe addicted ) to checking up on other pages that support plant-based /weight loss goals. The latest was Brightline Eating and in the past was Dr Fuhrman's plan. I always return to Dr McDougall's way and I need to stick to it and make it a habit /routine. Your support is SO welcome! I really do think I need to stay away from sugar and flour. I don't think salt is really an issue as I am able to use just a small amount and I am satisfied and don't need more. Sugar and bread, on the other hand.....once I start, I cannot stop.

We don't have a lot of snacks in our house as my husband is (what my mom and I used to call ) a "civilian" who can eat just a bite of cake or a cookie and throw away the rest . He doesn't really care about those things . We don't have either in our house. The few things we do have I try to hide so I don't see them very easily unless I search. I will binge on them though and lately that has been my difficulty.

So, for this month I will work on not bingeing, staying away from sugar and flour and stick to the 10 MWL points. Please get back to me time to time with your encouraging words and I will do the same for you.

-squealcat

Hi Marilyn, I’ve also listened to Dr. Fuhrman and others like Dr. Greger. My problem was with the recommendation to eat nuts and seeds. I would eventually end up overeating them. I could also run into trouble with some WFPB recipes that use ingredients like dates & nut butters. They're too much like pleasure trap food for me. That’s great that you’re able to keep you home fairly free of tempting foods. That’s key for me. When I was first eating this way my family thought I was off on another crazy diet, but now they’re starting to ask about how I eat, how to cook without oil, etc.

Sugar and flour is a problem for me too. I’ve listened to the founder of Bright Line Eating before. It sounded interesting and I looked into it but it seemed very strict and I knew that wouldn’t work for me. I mostly stay off of facebook now unless I’m doing something art-related. MWL is perfect because I can eat when I’m hungry, eat food I enjoy, I don’t have to do any weighing, measuring, or calorie counting, and it excludes the foods I'm likely to overeat.

It looks like you’re doing great so far. Well done!! :-D
Artista

Postby squealcat » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:58 pm

Thank you for your comments Artista ! What kind of art do you do? I love to draw Zentangle and visit a couple of Facebook sites that support that art. So relaxing!!

Today I walked 3 miles. It is hot out but I may try to walk just one more mile later on.

Breakfast : steel cup oats and strawberries (Michigan strawberries are in !!)
Lunch: large salad with my hummus and balsamic vinegar for dressing. I have made some pickled red onions and put them on top of the salad too. I also had about 3 yellow potatoes with some scarlet runner beans that I cooked this week. I felt pretty hungry and having a small amount of beans really helps me feel more full
Dinner: Michigan asparagus (a favorite of mine ) and something else..?? maybe polenta. I still need to cut up some carrots and celery to have before the meal. Probably a piece of fruit after dinner if I am not full yet.

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby Trinity » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:58 pm

Your menu looks great! I made my kids asparagus for the first time recently (husband doesn’t like it) and I was surprised and pleased that they (1-2 out of 3) liked it! I also just finished “The Dutch House” which I think you read. It was good! I’m now reading “Essex Serpent” while I wait for one of my books on hold to become available. I thought the TV series was disappointing though I liked the actors so maybe actually reading the original novel will help me understand the story better.
Trinity

Postby squealcat » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:29 pm

It is so hot today ! I got my 3 miles in but walked on the track at the gym. I want to get in another mile later this evening (yeah, I may have said that on other days :nod: ) I will try for one day this week doing that and getting more steps in.

Breakfast: oats and blueberries.
Lunch: (will be) large salad with my hummus on top and balsamic vinegar, maybe chop up a pear to put on top. Polenta and bean to follow the salad
Dinner: steamed veggies (probably broccoli because the asparagus is almost gone :-( ) and potatoes.

I have yet to cut up carrots and celery but I will do it right after typing this (promise :nod: ) I have to wash and chop some kale too.

Working on stopping my cycle of binge eating still. I have been fine for the last two days ! I have been doing some meditation around 3PM (my tough time) and maybe that is helping get my brain in order. Self talk also is what I am doing (" You know , Marilyn, if you eat now when you are not hungry, you will not die ! You will be just fine ! ") It is funny that I get no urge to eat after dinner, which is most people's tough time. Maybe habit is part of it. Maybe boredom. I am never bored in the evening. I get bored in the afternoon.

Well, let's see how today goes. Time to chop veggies then time for lunch !
-squealcat
squealcat

Postby squealcat » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:19 am

Exercise today: walked 3 miles outside :-D . Yesterday I did the 3 miles and then another mile and got in over 12,000 steps !! (grocery shopping with walking around the store probably helped that too :nod: )

Breakfast: steel cut oats and strawberries. I had a banana before my walk.
Lunch: large salad with my hummus and balsamic vinegar as dressing. I am not sure what else. Not quite hungry yet and I need to prep more food. I will let you know later.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Trinity » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:36 am

“Don’t Look For Me” was really good too! :cool:
Trinity

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals