Marsha's MWL journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Marsha's MWL journal

Postby squealcat » Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:11 pm

Ha ! Marsha, welcome back to the other side ! Yes, it is so hard to climb back but it is so do-able !! Just step over that small crevasse (is that spelled right? ) and eat what you have just prepared. Come here and chat with us ! We like your company !

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:31 pm

squealcat wrote:Ha ! Marsha, welcome back to the other side ! Yes, it is so hard to climb back but it is so do-able !! Just step over that small crevasse (is that spelled right? ) and eat what you have just prepared. Come here and chat with us ! We like your company !

-squealcat (Marilyn)

Hey Marsha,

YES!!! I agree 100% with Marilyn!! Come chat... You always do great... super easy to adjust course...

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:43 am

Oct 29, 2022

Hi all,
I am still here, eating whole foods plant based. But I have changed the types of foods I am eating. I have been studying Dr. Will Bulsiewicz' book, Fiber Fueled Cookbook. It can get a bit science-y but fascinating about the gut biome. Because I have so many symptoms of histamine intolerance, I am following the histamine reducing diet. Gotta say, probably 75% of my extreme congestion, sneezing, nasal drip etc., are gone! After years of meds, allergy testing etc., which gave little relief, this is huge. I am still suspicious of wheat so am cautious about only having a little organic whole wheat products. Red lentil pasta in my veggie soup works great.

Yesterday I made a really tasty and filling chopped salad: 2 medium apples chopped; 2 cups chopped radicchio (could use thinly sliced red cabbage), several cups of well chopped kale leaves (stems removed), 1 cup very thinly sliced celery, 1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds, and blueberries (could use pomegranate seeds but what a pain to harvest them). I made my own dressing from apple cider vinegar, pickle juice, a dash of mustard, a dash of ginger and pepper, diluted with a little water; I added a bit of brown sugar to counter some of the acid.

A tasty balance of sweet and bitter. I had it along with my version of Jeff's fast food meal, so a chili bean and veg mixture over basmati rice. Sooooo good!!

Soon I will try the blueberry buckwheat pancakes; want to try to sweet potato waffles but need to get a waffle iron.

Hope everybody is doing good. Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby Ejeff » Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:21 am

Marsha, thanks very much for sharing the info on histamine intolerance. I have watched Will on a few videos and skimmed through his book, but I figured I’m eating so many plants my gut must be great. I don’t have any nasal drip or other symptoms, but some family members do so I may try to learn more as it could help them.

I think I will try your salad dressing also, sounds very good. I would likely blend in a date or too as my nutribullet is my best buddy! :lol:

Very happy you have found a solution to your symptoms! Have a great week.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:59 am

Happy December 2022 and coming Equinox!

I am already sick of holiday food; too rich, etc., and I haven't even had much. I am also bored with my usual round of recipes. So today I am going to start a modified 'Mary's Mini', more of a detox actually; potatoes, veggies, 1 fruit a day (pears right now are soooo good, so are my favorite Envy apples ). Plus I'll make my usual yummy veggie soup.

A new favorite of mine is a big bowl of mixed greens, with broccolini slaw and maybe a few diced orange slices or diced apple.

Had my insurance-required annual 'wellness' check; blood work all great. Love my MD but he is overweight; takes hints though, so I planted seeds about the blue zone and fiber fueled cookbooks. He said I am the healthiest 75 yr old he has seen.

Happy Holidays to everybody, keep your eye on the prize. Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:18 pm

Hi Marsha!!! :D

Great to "see you" and sounds like you are doing great!!!

Happy holidays - hope you enjoy!

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby deweyswakms » Mon May 01, 2023 2:08 pm

May 2, 2023

Wow, I haven't posted in a long time. That's because when I went off the road, down the ditch and into the ravine of poor food choices, it took me quite awhile to crawl back up to the road.

I fell into some kind of sugar coma, for lack of a better phrase. Thinking I could have a treat here and there (well, it's NEVER just here and there, is it?) lead me to regain several pounds, and I could not lose it. It was if I forgot everything I knew about MWL program. I would weigh every day (don't do this), then beat myself up because I either gained a bit more or wasn't losing. I decided the scales were broken. Finally, finally, I got fed up with myself and this behavior, so I threw out the scales. In a matter of days, that cycle just...stopped. It wasn't even hard. I just bought a lot of veggies, decided if I wanted a treat I would have sugar pea pods ($7/lb where I am). They are so good! Filling. And I thought, hmm... :lol: more veggies please. So now veggies are my treats. I loaded up on celery (love the crunch), cucumbers, lots of carrots; love sweet potatoes, steamed broccoli, broccolini, apples etc. Rice and potatoes are my favorite starches; legumes, red lentil pasta, oatmeal, hemp hearts & ground flax seed, soy milk, steamed collard greens.

I have no idea what my weight # is, nor do I care. My pants are loose again; I bought a smaller size pair of jeans. I do track measurements once a week; back to where I was before the insanity started.

Have I tried a cookie or treat since? Sure, and they just DON'T TASTE GOOD anymore. My homemade veggie soup tastes so much better. I know that chips are my crack, so I just simply don't have them.

Satiety is an issue for me, so now I just spend time after a meal thinking "do I feel full"? I realized that I didn't really know what it meant to 'feel full', so now I wait awhile to test this feeling. And if I decide yes, I really am still hungry, then I eat more of my good food! Often just munching on carrots, apple slices (or pea pods!) fills me up.

So, this is my story. Hope you are all healthy.

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:52 am

Sunday, Feb 18, 2024

Good morning.

I tried 3 times to send a private message with this message; forced to log in 3 times which is very annoying and still wouldn't send a private message.

Anyway, will one of you Admins delete my journal. I don't have anything new to say. I am still, and will always be, a whole foods plant based eater. I do this for my own good health, will never eat animal flesh, and to try to help the warming planet. Also because the food just simply tastes better.

Good luck, thanks. Marsha
deweyswakms

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals