Marsha's MWL journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Marsha's MWL journal

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:47 am

Monday Dec 13, 2021

Another cold, gray, soggy day here in the NW. There is no dodging this rain for a walk so I'll go to 24 Hr Fitness today for some time on the stationery bike and then rowing machine. I love the rowing machine.

The other day a number came into my mind; I keep seeing it, and that's the new # I will see on the scales in a day or two. Tired of the 1-2 # dance around it, so now I see the number when I think about what I will eat. I am just one pound away from it. (Wish this worked with the lottery numbers. :D )

Now I am loving my veggie soup with either rice or potatoes; the veggie chili is soooo good over half a sweet potato. Sprinkling a bit of cinnamon over half a sweet potato = the best dessert. And I have salad to finish. Time to cook something new soon. I'm going to try one of the McDougall recipes in the newsletter. https://www.drmcdougall.com/recipes/one ... c2c666ecb2

Red pears! and oranges are also delicious right now.

Hope you all are healthy and safe, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:50 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:
deweyswakms wrote:Sunday Oct 17, 2021

And I transferred my Silver Fitness membership from the more distant Y with the great pools that I can't use to a nearby 24hr Fitness. They have 3 lap Olympic sized lap lanes, plus the bike & rowing machine equipment I like to use. I am proceeding slowly because too much on this aged body makes me hurt 1-2 days afterwards.

I finally learned my lesson about the elliptical. SMH.

Yes, a few years ago I gave up on the elliptical too; very hard on the knees. Stationery bike works, so does the knee extension weight machine; strengthens the muscles and tissues that support the knee. Try a rowing machine, total body workout. I do love swimming but hate the heavily chlorinated water; excellent weight-supporting workout though.
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:42 am

deweyswakms wrote:
bunsofaluminum wrote:
deweyswakms wrote:Sunday Oct 17, 2021

And I transferred my Silver Fitness membership from the more distant Y with the great pools that I can't use to a nearby 24hr Fitness. They have 3 lap Olympic sized lap lanes, plus the bike & rowing machine equipment I like to use. I am proceeding slowly because too much on this aged body makes me hurt 1-2 days afterwards.

I finally learned my lesson about the elliptical. SMH.

Yes, a few years ago I gave up on the elliptical too; very hard on the knees. Stationery bike works, so does the knee extension weight machine; strengthens the muscles and tissues that support the knee. Try a rowing machine, total body workout. I do love swimming but hate the heavily chlorinated water; excellent weight-supporting workout though.

I found a level to set the recumbent to get my heart rate up for cardio. Regular stationary bikes are SO uncomfortable in the seat area... but I'll try the rowing machines. I've always wondered, since your knees really do bend deeply, but I know they get the heart rate right up there. Also, the quad extension machine and leg press are part of every weight session. The Physical Therapist gave me those X's for knee strength and I like them. Taking a break from the gym every other day is helping immensely
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:32 pm

Dec 23, 2021

I think I last logged in on Dec 13, but today got the error message saying I had exceeded my maximum logins. Very annoying. I wonder if there is some limit per user id.

I am very close to the # I have been envisioning for a couple of weeks. I will get it and soon. First time to crack the 170 #.

I made a menu of thing I will cook, shopped accordingly and this helps me stay out of the store, which saves $. Even my groceries are pricey! Too bad we can't rent food. Yesterday I made the NY Times veggie burgers; love them, so filling. That is what I am taking to the (vacced & boosted) Xmas Eve family dinner.

I wanted to say Happy Holidays to everybody here who manages all these forums, gives gentle and helpful advice, is so encouraging. It really makes a Big Difference.

Here is to a Healthy New Year for all of us. Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:16 pm

deweyswakms wrote:
I am very close to the # I have been envisioning for a couple of weeks. I will get it and soon. First time to crack the 170 #.

Here is to a Healthy New Year for all of us. Marsha

So awesome, Marsha!!! You are an inspiration!!!

Happy holidays!

Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:39 am

Monday, Jan 3, 2022, and so it begins!

I still haven't cracked the 170#, very close. It will happen. I updated my cronometer diary to check nutrients and plan the day.

I have decided not to label my meals 'breakfast, lunch and dinner', because that seems to lock me into thinking only certain foods can be eaten for breakfast, etc. Food is food, doesn't matter when or how we eat it. This morning I have had a small banana, a small orange, and some diced collard greens with one small potato.

I am busy in the morning and don't like to set time aside to eat a lot of food. This is very filling. Sometime today I'll have oatmeal, veggie chili with a small serving of basmati rice, a huge salad at the end of the day; also raspberries and a few cherries. My gut needs at least 2 fruits a day. I may not even eat all this food.

We have days of rain so off to the gym for some indoor walking and rowing machine. Rain = many feet of badly needed snow in the mountains = ease the awful drought in the West.
HAPPY NEW YEAR and keep working it. Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:54 am

Thursday Jan 13, 2022

I am reading all that is featured here about GI tract issues. Have had too many episodes of gut pain (like glass in the gut) and other issues. Last night was the worst; 2 weeks have not been good; 2 or 3 good days, then gas, bloating, pain, etc. I even wondered if I had covid, but the home test was negative. So clearly something is wrong! I am SURE it is the food I have been eating; venturing outside the guidelines into sugary/wheat based treats; even eating more citrus (vitamin C, yes?), raw foods (celery? lots of salad with tomatoes and cucumbers), and added a couple of prunes thinking it would help. That stops immediately. Nothing like pain and terribly upset GI tract to change my behavior!

I am immediately beginning the Elimination Diet. I started a food/GI tract log. Frankly, a bit nervous to eat anything. So today will be bland foods of oatmeal, the last of the good split pea soup with some rice, a sweet potato, more potatoes. I am going to try a couple bites of pineapple too. I'll probably make the beans and berries recipe; gotta have something to eat.

Hmmm, thoughts? Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby Daydream » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:44 am

deweyswakms wrote:
I am immediately beginning the Elimination Diet. I started a food/GI tract log. Frankly, a bit nervous to eat anything. So today will be bland foods of oatmeal, the last of the good split pea soup with some rice, a sweet potato, more potatoes. I am going to try a couple bites of pineapple too. I'll probably make the beans and berries recipe; gotta have something to eat.

Hmmm, thoughts? Marsha

Hi Marsha (deweyswakms)! Dr. McDougall says that all fruit and veggies need to be well cooked on the elimination diet. So if you eat pineapple or berries, make sure you cook them first.

I hope you resolve your gut pain soon!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/co ... s-to-food/
Daydream

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:16 pm

1/13/22

Thanks Daydream; good point about all fruits & vegs being cooked. I am not doing any raw food for at least a week.
I was eating 4-5 cherries every few days for my arthritis, really helped, but I'll skip for now.
deweyswakms

Postby Daydream » Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:12 pm

deweyswakms wrote:1/13/22

Thanks Daydream; good point about all fruits & vegs being cooked. I am not doing any raw food for at least a week.
I was eating 4-5 cherries every few days for my arthritis, really helped, but I'll skip for now.

You can still have the cherries. Just cook them first. ;)
Daydream

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:13 am

Friday Jan 14, 2022

Day 2 of elimination diet. Body is quiet, feels peaceful and good. I like this ED way of eating. Today I will venture into sauteeing romaine lettuce (hate to waste it but won't eat more than a forkful or two, see what happens), will poach pears (my gut still needs fruit to move); then stick to the berries and beans (with potatoes) (from the McD quick & easy cookbook). I also liked steamed frozen broccoli & cauliflower, but small portions of everything. I am still not very hungry.

No rain today! also no sun but hey...so will get outside and a walk.

Stay healthy, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby squealcat » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:39 am

Marsha, I am very curious about your elimination diet and am following you ! Just typing in my journal about my past reaction to dairy triggered the thought about gluten sensitivity or something else like that. When I stopped eating/drinking dairy the bloating , gas and diarrhea all went away. My last recent episode was very uncomfortable so I need to investigate. Thanks for your comment on my journal site.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:06 am

squealcat wrote:Marsha, I am very curious about your elimination diet

-squealcat

Did you find Dr. McDougall's post about it? VERY helpful. I like this way of eating a lot and plan to continue, plus I lost almost 3 pounds. More importantly, my body is 'quiet', feels peaceful.

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:24 am

1/17/22 Happy Birthday to me!

My body is very happy with the elimination diet (day 6). I am not 'bubbling' with gas and bloating, let alone pain. In fact, I will continue eating this way. I strongly suspect a problem with wheat and chocolate; those are now gone, not to be eaten again (nothing like aversion therapy to change behavior). My GI tract still not 100% working so I will add back raw fruit, pears and apples, cautiously.

Another plus: I lost almost 3 pounds. I had plateaued at 170, for many weeks; was 'surprised' to see 167# on the scales the last 3 days. It is interesting that I haven't been as hungry either.

Squealcat: search for Food Allergies, or Elimination Diet, on the McD website. You should find it. Give it a try for a few days.

Stay healthy and happy, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:33 am

Thursday Jan 20, 2022
Today is last day of rains (days of it) and SUN arrives for several days. Badly needed.

Still maintaining the weight loss using the Elimination Diet. A couple of days ago I did 'combine' maybe 1/2 a cup of the berries & beans recipe with maybe 1/2 a cup of veggie stew. Not a good idea because not long after i felt gassy, painful and bloated. So, I conclude not to combine types of beans. The Berries & Beans recipe (soooo good and easy) is cooked several hours in the crock pot; it doesn't bother me. For now, I am going to stay away from black beans, and certainly not combine different types of beans.

I steamed red potatoes with peas and shelled edamame; rough mash; great for first meal of the day. Later I'll eat more romaine lettuce with cucumber. For tomorrow, I'll make the 'no tuna' salad (with garbanzo beans) and eat on chopped lettuce. Apple, banana & cherries for fruit. I have also liked steamed cauliflower and broccoli. And, I have some baked sweet potatoes to finish. So, plenty of food for today and tomorrow.

I'll also make a new batch of vegetable soup (I freeze individual portions). Yesterday I had the last of it with maybe 1/4 cup of whole wheat pasta. The pasta didn't bother me at all. Not sure if I should stay away from all wheat products, even whole wheat?

Carry on!

Marsha
deweyswakms

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals