Marsha's MWL journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Marsha's MWL journal

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:15 pm

Happy Birthday!!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:28 am

Saturday Jan 18, 2020
The pound I gained from going sideways last week (salty cashews are calorie/fat bombs! you can't eat 'just one'!) is gone. Done a lot of thinking about where I slipped last week so I can do better this week. I really want the lower # by next Friday, and I can do it.

I think too often we focus on the mechanics of MWL eating - what foods, what recipes, when to eat, etc. All important elements in behavior change. But for me I realize I am not practicing mindfulness when it comes to eating. Taking TIME to enjoy my meal, to think about how grateful I am to have food to eat, grateful I can afford to buy healthy foods, thankful for the people who helped bring it to me. I want to raise my level of thinking about taking care of my body via healthy food and movement. Chemically and statistically my body is healthy for where I am in life (in the 7th plane of existence now!). But I do admit that 'food' (what to eat, when, where) dominates my thinking too much.

I started my day with oatmeal with hemp hearts, ground flax, frozen blueberries and almond milk. I have other foods to be eaten today, so I can focus on finishing a painting, and later getting into the pool at the Y for some swimming work.

Have a great Saturday. Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:53 am

Sunday Jan 19, 2020

It's not raining today, woo hoo! I like journaling for accountability, but also it helps me set my intentions for the day. Today I will paint (always a top goal of mine, to do something creative even if it's watch an art video). I may try a self-portrait because of my birthday, and because they scare me so that's a good reason to try. Later today my son is hosting a birthday brunch for me, so I will eat before going to it and enjoy the fruit salad!

First I will do one of Jeff N's fast food meals. Dinner will be oatmeal with the usual (ground flax seed, hemp hearts, blueberries and almond milk). I am switching to soy milk because growing almonds requires so much water. Snacks today will be an apple, probably celery or carrot sticks. Maybe a sweet potato. Monday I have to cook more foods. I like to prep 2 or 3 things that I can eat on for a few days.

Go Chiefs!!
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby moonlight » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:30 am

Hi Marsha,
I wanted to send you a recipe through the Private Message feature but I don't see that option for you. Do you receive PMs?
moonlight

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:12 am

moonlight wrote:Hi Marsha,
I wanted to send you a recipe through the Private Message feature but I don't see that option for you. Do you receive PMs?

Hi, sorry to take so long to respond. I am annoyed how BUSY my life has been lately; my own fault as I control my calendar! I am not sure how to do the PM's here. Let me check the control index and see.

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:21 am

Friday Jan 24, 2020

It has rained all week (I live in the soggy NW rainforest) so I didn't get in my usual daily walk. Nor did I get to the pool or gym. I let my calendar get too full of errands and well-intentioned projects, but they keep me from my own goals. I control my calendar, so it's up to me to make some changes. This coming week is also too busy but after that, I wrote NO NO NO on February. I will be saying NO to all the 'time temptations', fun though they may be.

I LOVE this essay by Jeff N. Being too busy means I forget to do the simple food prep that works for me. At 73, I don't have the energy or stamina to go go go all day long. When I get tired, then it's too easy for me to slip into the ditch of eating off MWL program.

Keep it simple! simple food routines, simple exercise; rinse repeat over and over. And it works for me.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=58019&p=583235&hilit=oatmeal#p583235

What are you cooking now? Today I make my favorite split pea soup with carrots, potatoes and celery. I have been making quick meals in the skillet (1 can of drained black beans, 1 can of tomatoes, half a bag of frozen veggies (corn, peas, whatever), add diced greens of some kind, edamame is good too. Season to taste. Serve over rice or potatoes.

Marsha`
deweyswakms

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:50 am

deweyswakms wrote:
What are you cooking now? Today I make my favorite split pea soup with carrots, potatoes and celery. I have been making quick meals in the skillet (1 can of drained black beans, 1 can of tomatoes, half a bag of frozen veggies (corn, peas, whatever), add diced greens of some kind, edamame is good too. Season to taste. Serve over rice or potatoes.

Marsha`

Hi Marsha,
I am cooking pinto beans in the 2 qt. slow cooker. I use 1 c. of dry beans, 3.5 c. of water, handful of onions, handful of jalapenos, a dollop of NSA salsa, and some spices (cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper). Cook them all day until they are nice and soft and then mash. :)

What is your favorite split pea soup recipe? Yum!!

Happy McDougalling!
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:21 pm

VegSeekingFit wrote:
deweyswakms wrote:

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie, your beans sound great! I will make them soon.

I love the split pea soup recipe in one of the Engine 2 Diet cookbooks. I make it all the time. In a large soup pan, put 1.5 cups of dried split peas; 6 cups of veggie broth; 1 tbsp of dried mustard 1-2 bay leaves; 1 chopped onion (I just use half); some garlic. Low boil this for about 20 minutes. Then add 2 chopped carrots, about 1 cup chopped celery, 3 medium red potatoes chopped 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar. I add 1 Tbsp tamari soy sauce, pepper and salt, and I am liking a ginger/curry/turmeric seasoning so I added 1 Tbsp of that.

Low boil for another 20-30 minutes until the peas are cooked. I only mash a small amount of the soup, to thicken it.

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:52 pm

Sat Jan 25, 2020

The rains let us, the SUN came out! so I enjoyed a mile walk outside. Rains back most of next week so I simply must get myself to the gym.

Lunch with friends at a new to me restaurant, healthy Mexican food. Well, simply the best food I have had in a very long time. And I managed to lose weight too. I LOVED a salad of cucumber and jicama spears treated with lime juice, chile powder and a corn/mango salsa. I could make this this at home; hardest part would be peeling the jicama. The vegetarian corn tacos had poblano peppers, corn, mushrooms, spinach. No cheese for me. Absolutely delicious. I don't eat out very much because I want to lose weight and there is usually too much sodium for me.

Today I made another pot of split pea soup; it's so good. Tomorrow I have veggies that need to be cooked. Not sure if I'll make more black bean burgers or a 'fast food' meal. (Stephanie's slo cooker bean are tempting.)

This morning I had the most delicious pear! Pears are in season here. Surprised how tasty it was. Will get more! Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby moonlight » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:14 am

Hi Marsha,
That Mexican meal sounds delicious! Good for you for staying within your goals.

I wanted to let you know I got your PM message. It is an odd message system but it seems reliable once you get the hang of it. :)
moonlight

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:51 am

Thursday Jan 30, 2020

Doesn't this sound good!? one of the McDougall superbowl recipes. Cucumber salsa.

2 cups cucumbers (about 2 medium cucumbers), peeled, seeded and diced, 1 cup tomatoes, seeded and diced, 1/2 cup red onion, diced, 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped, 2-3 tbsp lime juice. Chill in fridge for an hour.

I am just 2 pounds from my first goal. I know I want to lose more pounds. My weight has gone to my middle and there's still some belly I want to lose, so I will keep after it. But I will savor achieving my 1st goal. I was at 197 in July when I recommitted to MWL. Now I am at 182. Amazing.

I rely on potatoes a lot for my starch, plus brown rice. This week I have been eating my good split pea soup with lots of potatoes, celery and carrots. Also a 'fast food' (ala Jeff N); beans, tomatoes, frozen veggies, I add chopped bok choy and collard greens to it; simmer in a skillet for awhile; onions if you like; add seasonings. Serve over rice or baked potato. So good and easy and filling.

It has been raining for days here in the soggy NW. So boring. I try to walk during rain breaks, like right NOW! going outside.
Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:44 pm

deweyswakms wrote:
VegSeekingFit wrote:
deweyswakms wrote:

Stephanie

Hi Stephanie, your beans sound great! I will make them soon.

I love the split pea soup recipe in one of the Engine 2 Diet cookbooks. I make it all the time. In a large soup pan, put 1.5 cups of dried split peas; 6 cups of veggie broth; 1 tbsp of dried mustard 1-2 bay leaves; 1 chopped onion (I just use half); some garlic. Low boil this for about 20 minutes. Then add 2 chopped carrots, about 1 cup chopped celery, 3 medium red potatoes chopped 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar. I add 1 Tbsp tamari soy sauce, pepper and salt, and I am liking a ginger/curry/turmeric seasoning so I added 1 Tbsp of that.

Low boil for another 20-30 minutes until the peas are cooked. I only mash a small amount of the soup, to thicken it.

Marsha

Thanks for this recipe, Marsha! It sounds really good! May make a batch this weekend. :)
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:56 pm

Saturday Feb 1, 2020

Pouring rain. I am going to start this recipe;haven't made it in awhile. It's easy (my favorite).

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... hite-Beans

And I will make the cucumber salsa that was in the recent McDougall newsletter.

I have a busy day so won't get to the gym today. Maybe tomorrow!

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:49 am

Thursday Feb 6, 2020

It is breezy and chilly out but not raining, so I am heading out for a brisk walk. Helps me wake up, get oxygen moving, body wants to move.

My weight is up a bit this week, so am doubling down before tomorrow's MWL weigh-in. I started a new allergy drug 2 weeks ago; and yikes it makes me so groggy. Playing with dosage now to try to find sweet spot between helping with the congestion without being a danger operating heavy machinery. It has left me with little desire to eat healthy but still trying. (oh, it also can cause weight gain.) I will probably stop taking it after another few days, even at half the capsule.

I made a great pot of McDougall's slow cooker white beans; froze some. And yesterday I made one of my best versions of veggie chili. So yummy! served over mashed potatoes. Today is my school volunteer day (helping kids with reading). Plus I want to get in 20 mins of painting. So I better hop to it!

Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:59 am

Saturday Feb 8, 2020

I just want to say how much I love oatmeal. It's such a quick and easy meal when everything else seems too much effort. I use about 3/4 cup of old fashioned oats; I add hemp hearts and ground flax; sometimes I add frozen blueberries or other fruit. Add water (can't tell you how much as I eyeball it, just barely enough to cover the oats), then microwave for 5 minutes. Add your favorite plant based milk. It' so good.

Today I will do a quick 'fast food' skillet meal with a can of drained black beans, a can of mild Rotel tomatoes, frozen veggies, diced greens of some kind, seasonings and serve over rice. Also so good.

Glad citrus fruit is in season; orange segments are so good.

Happy weekend, Marsha
deweyswakms

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals