Marsha's MWL journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Marsha's MWL journal

Postby JeffN » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:51 pm

deweyswakms wrote: Cronometer shows I am at 43% of 519.3 mg of calcium.

Let me clarify what it is showing you.

The DRI is 1200 that it defaults to based on your age/gender. For the day you are looking at, you consumed 519.3 mg of calcium from the food you consumed (if all are listing calcium), which is right inline with the 450-600 I said.

The 43% means your 519.3 is 43% of the DRI of 1200. .

deweyswakms wrote: Probably from beans, broccoli and greens.

The cronometer shows you which foods are contributing the most. If you are accessing it online, just hover your cursor over the total and it will show you. If you are accessing it through the app, just click on the total and it will give you a pop up windows showing you the biggest contributors.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby deweyswakms » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:29 am

JeffN wrote:
deweyswakms wrote: Cronometer shows I am at 43% of 519.3 mg of calcium.

Let me clarify what it is showing you.

The cronometer shows you which foods are contributing the most. If you are accessing it online, just hover your cursor over the total and it will show you.

In Health
Jeff[/quote]

Thanks for the info! As nutrition amateurs, seeing Cronometer's red highlight over a nutrient can be concerning.

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:49 am

Tuesday 8/14/21
Cooler temps are here! Delicious high 70s, now hope for badly needed rain; trees and land here in the Pacific NW are badly stressed.

Astounded today to see I lost another .6 of a pound. Not sure why I continue to be so surprised; maybe because I haven't been in this range for probably 17-20 years. I thought I was too old; not true. Now I know I can lose more, which I do want; my belly fat is almost gone. Gonna need a smaller pant size. And I notice that the 'usual' aches and pains are maybe gone. I rarely need a pill for arthritis like aches.

I spend a lot more attention on guideline #2: 50/50 volume of food I eat between starches and non-starchy veggies. Dinner last night was potatoes with half the bowl being steamed collards and green peas. Celery has turned out to be a fun crunchy snack.

Today I will make a smoky lentil veggie stew.

Keep going! Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:27 am

Sunday, Aug 22, 2021
Temps are back in lo to mid 70s. Summer is winding down, frankly fine with me. Too many 'heat domes' here in the Pacific NW. Badly need rain; I'll never complain about rain again.

I am still at 173.4#. That's OK. I want to lose a bit more, so time to shake up the MWL formula. I will pay strict attention to the 50/50 plate rule. I notice that eating more veggies, preloading with fruit and/or a salad, means I just get full much faster; I need less starchy foods. I stay 'full' longer. Having read Starch Solution and other, similar books in the past, I always thought "just eat starch". Now I see the BALANCE is key. And look at me, now I love my simple salads. I am adding more veggies to them.

Glad to see Jeff N say "We do not recommend EPA/DHA supplements and are concerned with their potential risks." Another well known plant strong MD did recommend them a few years ago, so I did take them. They are expensive! I like not spending that $.

I'm going to make a red lentil, couscous and zucchini soup (lots of those around now). Want something different in my recipe rotation.

Keep working the plan! Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:13 am

I'm with you: supplements are too expensive. I was recently listening to Joe Rogan talk about helping ourselves stay healthy in this time of Covid and I agreed with SO MUCH of what he said about eating well, exercise, getting outside, etc. But he's a supplement guy and I had to actively turn my ears off for that one, because Vitamin D! but then I got thinking about how healthy my gut is already, and the gut's role in our immune system and I realized I'm good. My system is healthy and overall alkali not acidic. With that in place, I don't need to supplement.

It would be good to get more sunshine though because Vitamin D! ;)

Which means getting outside and now that the smoke from the NW fires is a little bit cleared I might be able to actually do.

I'm super happy to see the temps cool down, as well. We actually had RAIN for TWO DAYS last week!

Let us know how your lentil/zucchini stew ends up...sounds yummy. *eyeballs huge garden zucchini*
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby deweyswakms » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:02 am

Sunday 8/30/21
Gosh, summer is over now. Cooler temps here in the Pacific NW, STILL waiting for rain. The West is burning up.

I am still at 173.4#s, want to lose 3 more, so really need to change up some things. I helped a friend with a garage sale, and did slip a bit in eating, but actually didn't like the tastes much. So glad to realize how much I prefer my own veggie friendly cooking.

It is so encouraging to look back at how much weight I have actually lost since 1st starting MWL, and then again since 2019 and even earlier this year.

Off to find one more summer cantaloupe! Keep on working it, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby Health 1st » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:22 pm

Marsha,

Even though you slipped a bit with your eating while helping your friend with the garage sale, the most important things are that you didn't even enjoy the tastes, + that you didn't let that get to you mentally where you could "beat yourself up" and/or have it lead to a downward spiral. So, kudos to you!!!! :nod:

You'll whip those 3 pounds off...of that I am certain!

Hope you got to find a nice, juicy + sweet melon. :)
Health 1st

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:52 am

Sunday, Sept 5, 2021

Gee, SEPTEMBER already. We are so DRY here in the Pacific NW; sad to see all the dried up vegetation. So bring on our normal rains, if anything is 'normal' anymore.

"Maintaining is just as tough as losing", somebody said. Course I still want to lose 3# more; I did gain .3 of a pound this week from a very few slips. This is why I weigh almost every day, so I can nip this *&%$ in the bud. It's all behavior change anyway. Back to 173.4 again today. Looking at the MWL guidelines, and I need to 100% comply with #1 guideline. I always have fruit in the morning but not a soup or salad, so time to make a soup. Need to find an easy soup recipe; maybe the veggies & lentil soup.

I did find a cantaloupe and watermelon! love them so much. So much better tasting than any 'sweet'.

I made one of my favorite Jeff N 'fast food' recipes. So easy and tasty. I will add the SNAP template meal but am curious why no beans, peas or lentils in it. I'll go explore that.

Everybody is doing so good; your stories inspire me. Carry on! Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby JeffN » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:03 pm

deweyswakms wrote:I made one of my favorite Jeff N 'fast food' recipes. So easy and tasty. I will add the SNAP template meal but am curious why no beans, peas or lentils in it. I'll go explore that.

You just have seen the "simplified" version.

The original recipe included beans separately
https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/view ... =22&t=7168

The simplified version used mixed vegetables which included beans in them.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10519&p=8296

And

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10519&p=82967#p82967

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:26 am

Friday 9/10/21

After 2 weeks at least looking at 173.4 on the scale, I just stayed the course, maintaining what I have been eating and doing. Admittedly not too hungry the last couple of days, so I was shocked :eek: this morning to see 171.8 on the scale.

I have tracked my weight in Cronometer since I came back to MWL on July 2021 when I was at 193#. Wow. Adhering to MWL guidelines 1 & 2 are the secret sauce for me. Now to maintain at this level and expect a few more to slide away.

This week I have enjoyed couscous with a tasty veggie chili. It's filling and nutritious with some calcium. That's my 4pm-ish meal, with steamed broccoli later. I don't want to eat too close to sleep time.

I am hungry for the Egyptian red lentil soup, so that's what I shall make today.

Keep working it! Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:29 am

Thanks Jeff for the SNAP and 'fast food' links. Those were key for me when 1st starting out on relearning how and what to eat. Simple foods are the best. And they taste so good too!
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:06 am

Thursday 9/16/21

Well, it took a few patient weeks to lose about half a pound. I had dropped lower but then bounced back, so I just stayed the course. Now it is important to watch the calories because I do want to lose 2 more.

My Egyptian red lentil soup is good; plus I really like couscous as an option besides potatoes as a base for veggie chili or one of Jeff N's 'fast food' meals. Couscous is The Easiest to cook! Just add to boiling water and set aside for a few minutes.

Thankful for RAIN to arrive Saturday. Pacific NW may get 2-3 inches, the first since Spring.

Keep working it! Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:21 am

Friday, 9/24/21, almost October! The Pacific NW is still 9" or so behind on rain. It surely will arrive, soon, we hope.

Today I decided to claim the new weight #; lost a pound since last week, I kept checking every day because it doesn't seem real, but it is.

I am just staying the course, working the MWL plan, and notice that I eat more veggies than relying mostly on the familiar standby starchy recipes. I have added a very few almonds to the morning food plan, but not changed much of anything else.

This week I have apples, banana, berries, veggie chili over basmati rice, the yummy mexican skillet with quinoa, broccoli, and salad. Carrots for afternoon munchies; sometimes just a steamed potato with the carrots. I am craving a sandwich, so will make the yummy chickpea 'no tuna' dish and probably add it to a pita with tomatoes and lettuce.

I also notice that I have almost 'no pain' since losing more weight. My usual daily doses of ibuprofen aren't needed now. Yes i am old now, but one doesn't have to assume that automatically means to accept pain. I am stiff though; tissues are not resilient anymore, but the arthritis pain is mostly gone, even in my hands. It's the food, people!

Off for a morning walk. Stay safe and healthy everybody, Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby deweyswakms » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:35 am

Thursday 10/7/21

I lost another pound since 9/24/21. Just staying the course, eating (mostly) MWL guidelines. It's almost automatic now. Food planning and prep is very important for me. Today I'll make another of Jeff's 'fast food' meals. They are so easy and simple, why not? 1 can of black beans drained & rinsed; 1 can of spiced tomatoes; a package of frozen mixed veggies; 1 stalk of chopped up bok choy; and probably some chopped up collard greens. Simmer, season to taste, serve over potatoes. Makes a lot so I will freeze a portion.

We are into beautiful fall weather. Needed rain and temps heading to the 50s. Great walking weather. I switched my silver fit membership from a Y that has great pools but can't get into use them, to a 24 hr fitness near me so I can start using some machines.

Keep working it! Marsha
deweyswakms

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:47 pm

Hi Marsha,

Thank you so much for feedback and support that you posted on my journal. Your thoughts have broadened my view of how to look at this - so much appreciated!

Looks like you are doing great and enjoying some wonderful meals!!!

Take care,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals