Shmookitty's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Shmookitty's Journal

Postby Shmookitty » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:42 am

Finally broke my one month plateau! Down three pounds to 210. :-D

I didn't resist the urge to weigh today, because I really felt like I'd lost and I wanted the confidence boost after being stuck since December 10. But going forward, I plan to just weigh at the beginning of every month. I am not quite ready to completely give up the scale as the Intuitive Eating book advocates. I decided the first of the month since it's easy to remember and it's not around my menstrual cycle. Once I am at my natural healthy weight, I may decide to completely give up the scale, we'll see, but I think once a month is very reasonable in the meantime, compared to the four or so times a week I was doing as recently as November. It's progress.

So lowering my starch percentage to 50-60 instead of 80-85 made a definite difference. I will stick to that general guideline from now on.
My name is Renee, McDougalling starting October 5, 2019
Shmookitty

Postby Ejeff » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:54 pm

Good for you losing 3 pounds. I think Jeff Novick and others recommend weighing once a week. I have done that for quite some time and I record it in a couple of tracking apps. I’m not sure why I began weighing weekly, I think having a routine that records my progress was important to keep me on track. I have found over the years that most of all the scale helped me to see when I was gaining so I could put the brakes on and not gain even more weight.

Whether weekly or monthly you seem to be on the right path and I wish you continued success.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby moonlight » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:47 am

Congrats on finding what works for you! :D All last year I kept losing and gaining the same 3-5 pounds. I am hoping to start keeping it off and losing more.
I've been reading your posts about IE. I've considered purchasing the IE workbook. Have you read The Beck Solution? I'm wondering if those two books have similar information. I'd like to focus more on eating when I'm hungry and not eating for other reasons.
moonlight

Postby Shmookitty » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:58 pm

Thanks for the encouragement and comments!

I have not read The Beck Solution. It uses Cognitive Behavior Therapy concepts with regard to weight. I have done Dialetical Behavior Therapy (not weight-focused though) and didn't find it helpful, so I was not drawn to the Beck book. Sorry I don't know much about it.

I am not a workbook person so I am not ordering the IE one. There is also an IE one for teens that I've read is very good for all ages, but I'm just not the fill-in-the-blanks type. I used to keep a journal many years ago when I was actively in therapy, but I also used to go through little "ceremonies" where I would destroy what I had written. I am guessing there is some good content in both the IE workbooks though.
Shmookitty

Postby Shmookitty » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:53 pm

Goodness, I overate today. Between the two (smoothie sized) individual packets of Dole frozen berries, two bananas, and apples, I probably took in about 800 calories just in fruit today! Day one of my period and I was just a bottomless pit. I made two servings of the Spicy White Bean pitas (with kidney beans instead of white) from the Quick and Easy Cookbook, and had amaranth for breakfast. I didn't eat non-compliant, I just was a volume eater today big-time! I'm absolutely STUFFED now. It didn't register until I was already there, I went from still hungry to stuffed in just a couple of bites. My intuitive eating signals didn't work today! :shock:

serene, thanks for jumping in about Beck. :-D
Shmookitty

Postby Shmookitty » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:53 pm

whoops, double post, sorry.
Shmookitty

Postby Shmookitty » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:17 pm

YIKES I am totally craving fats today. It's day two of my period and I am glad I don't keep crap in the house or I would be bingeing right now. I had a tablespoon of peanut butter and feel somewhat better, but I want a LOT of something wicked.

From my food tracking days, I know I normally only eat about 10% of my calories from fat. Today that is totally not enough.

I had a nice big barley bowl with kidney beans, cauliflower, snap peas, and salsa, so volume-wise I am okay. I do feel full now but am still mouth-hungry for junk. Specifically fat. Like cheesecake or cheese danish pastry. The WHOLE strip of danish pastry. :oops: :shock:

It will get better. I hope. I will not actually leave the house and get junk food, so I guess I will be okay. :-(
Shmookitty

Postby Shmookitty » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:57 am

Went to Food Lion today - for more bananas since I ended up eating five in two days! No danish. Also got some really yummy fresh pineapple.

The fat cravings seem to be gone thank goodness. Yesterday was the first day I can truly say I struggled with compliance. Normally I have no problem on this WOE but who can understand female hormones anyway? :)

The important thing is, I did NOT eat cheese.
Shmookitty

Postby alishana » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:00 pm

Shmookitty wrote:The important thing is, I did NOT eat cheese.

Well done ! You can be proud of you ! I also have fat cravings on my periods so I can relate and I know how intense it can be :eek:
alishana

Postby moonlight » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:12 pm

Shmookitty wrote:YIKES I am totally craving fats today. It's day two of my period and I am glad I don't keep crap in the house or I would be bingeing right now. I had a tablespoon of peanut butter and feel somewhat better, but I want a LOT of something wicked.

From my food tracking days, I know I normally only eat about 10% of my calories from fat. Today that is totally not enough.

I had a nice big barley bowl with kidney beans, cauliflower, snap peas, and salsa, so volume-wise I am okay. I do feel full now but am still mouth-hungry for junk. Specifically fat. Like cheesecake or cheese danish pastry. The WHOLE strip of danish pastry. :oops: :shock:

It will get better. I hope. I will not actually leave the house and get junk food, so I guess I will be okay. :-(

I felt this way yesterday, too! I like your phrase "mouth-hungry". :) I past menopause so I can't relate it to that. I let myself get too hungry earlier in the day. I think that may have triggered it. I ate a whole container of hummus over about 5 hours. :(
Good for you, getting back on track today.
moonlight

Postby Shmookitty » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:10 pm

You had a container of hummus, I have been eating three bananas a day - it's okay! :-D

I have discovered the absolute joy that is a Fuji apple. I had a bag of dried Fujis I was rationing and really enjoying, so I bought three fresh ones to try at Food Lion on Saturday. Had one this morning. BLISS! I am not usually much for apples, I guess I equate them with being a "diet" food so have not been interested in a long time. This was probably my first fresh apple in about five years other than a few granny smith slices in a restaurant salad a couple of months ago. Now I will be obsessed with them and eat one or two Fujis a day! Holy fiber! (Who was it that liked the BM posts)? :-D
Shmookitty

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:33 pm

Hey Renee, what’s new? Your journal is oddly quiet.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Previous

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals