Mutual Accountability

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Mutual Accountability

Postby Ejeff » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:47 pm

Very good day today. Played pickleball for 2.5 hours.

L: spaghetti squash with chickpea dressing, Apple
S: sweet potato fries
D: brown rice, peas, tofu, avacado, soya sauce, 2 cookies
S: 15 raisins and a mandarin orange

Tonight was a big win for me. We attended a pot pie dinner same as last year. Last year I ate the salad and the dessert pie. This time I brought my own dinner and it was super easy. I thought it could be quite awkward, but nobody really noticed or cared. My challenge to avoid all oil, sugar and alcohol is keeping my resolve very strong. Yesterday it was free ice cream and I wasn’t even tempted.

We discovered a produce store with the cheapest prices I’ve ever seen. I got a large bok choy for $0.31 and Swiss chard for $1.29. Blackberries were just 50 cents a package and blueberries $1.50. I really like this store. I’m stocked up with healthy goods for this week.

Annette, glad your afternoon eating is working well for you.
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Zoey » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:03 am

Serene, sounds like it all worked out perfectly. Today is my family day out, and I hope they don't want pizza. (sigh)

Amy, I call two hours of cleaning exercise, too! Of course I call five minutes exercise, so...

I did OK yesterday. Oatmeal with apples and raisins for breakfast, then some pretzels at lunchtime, and popcorn before bed. I think I was still full from pizza. And I didn't feel like weighing this morning. I know I'm feeling great, and I know I could be even better if I get away from the processed foodstuffs. For now, the gingersnaps are gone, the crackers are gone, the pretzels are almost gone, and I'm not buying more.
I got my four miles in, and I like the ankle weights my husband bought me. It's good to feel sore.
Zoey

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:55 pm

Doing terrific. "Starting over" on Jan 2 was a good idea, after all. Got really down on myself at first, when my body wouldn't do yoga the way I used to be able to do, but with modifications, stress relief techniques, and good eating, I pulled out of that horrible funk. It's not fun being so ticked off at oneself.

D: baked potato; carrot sticks, cauliflower florets, 1/2 a cucumber.
B: Broccoli oats
L: lentil stew; cuties

Exercise: 20 minutes yoga
Meditation: before bed, I plan on setting down in 15 minutes or so of stillness and breathing. Yoga was a little bit meditative, but physically challenging so I stayed "in" my body rather than resting in my breath.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Ejeff » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:03 am

It’s going well. My decision to only eat fruit and a couple raisins if I need a later evening snack is working well. It’s stopping me from stuffing myself lol. Made a batch of smokey pasta sauce and air fried a bunch of zucchini. Will try out yoga class this morning and also play pickleball.

Buns, glad you’ve gotten it turned around to a positive direction for yourself!
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby moonlight » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:26 pm

I've felt pretty good about my eating habits until last night... I think I got too hungry but I ate a whole container of hummus over about 5 hours. :( I did eat some carrots with it. Then I ate some bulgur with it. Then later I had two slices of bread with it. :( :( That's the first bread I've had since the beginning of the year. Hopefully I'll remember to not take even the first bite...
moonlight

Postby moonlight » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:45 am

Congratulations, Serene!!

I need to get in compliance with my exercise goal... I’ve set the intention to exercise at 5:00 today.
moonlight

Postby Zoey » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:03 am

serene wrote:Still going well. Tomorrow will be 9 weeks (63 days) compliant!

Bravo! That is really an accomplishment.
Zoey

Postby AnnetteW » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:11 am

Just checking in. Being compliant is easy when nothing sounds good to eat.
AnnetteW

Postby Ejeff » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:48 am

Great going Serene! I have been doing well eating compliant. For me it starts at the grocery store because when I buy lots of greens I need to eat them. Yesterday I sautéed up a huge bok choy and had that with garlic powder and soya sauce. Followed that with a tomato and mustard sandwich. Today I will add some mushrooms and ginger to the leftovers for lunch. Having just a few raisins is working really well, satisfies my craving for something sweet which stops me from over eating on something else.

I made another batch of chickpea and lemon juice dressing for salad. I’m surprised it’s quite good even without the tahini. I haven’t bought any tahini so I think I will just keep making this for the next while.

Annette, hope your stomach feels better very soon.
Ejeff

Postby Zoey » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:34 am

Ejeff, that's great that you've figured that out about the raisins. Do you buy the little mini-boxes, or just portion them out? I think I would have to buy the boxes, as I'm not sure I could trust myself. But it might be a good thing for me to try in order to break this nightly chocolate addiction. Hmmm...
Oh, and I like my chickpeas without tahini now, too. It's just one less thing to buy, which is always good.
Zoey

Postby bunsofaluminum » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:55 am

Doing really well with my food choices. I think I had a danish butter cookie (you know, those round blue tins ... Wylie bought two tins on bargain, and I had one on Saturday) Oh...a Hershey's kiss on Saturday, as well. Otherwise, 100% compliant INCLUDING a visit to a Chinese restaurant where I requested no oil and THEY DID IT FOR ME!

D: barley mushroom soup
B: grits with berries; cuties oranges
L: barley mushroom soup; carrots & cauliflower
S: an apple

Today is my long day, so I brought bean dip and some raw vegs with two baked potatoes for dinner at my PT job.

Exercise: a neck and shoulder yoga practice 20 min
Meditation: lying in bed this morning, I centered on my breath. I'll take some time during lunch to do the same.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Ejeff » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:00 pm

Zoey, no I just bought the big bags from Costco, 2 in a box and I just take a few out. You are right, it takes discipline to not wolf down too many. But I think those little boxes are way more than 15 or 20 raisins, although I’m not really sure. I had trouble finding raisins without oil, so make sure you read the label carefully.
Ejeff

Postby Zoey » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:25 am

Buns, I love those cookies! I've successfully avoided them for a long time now.

Ejeff, I decided I'd better not try the raisin trick for myself, because I'll probably end up eating the chocolate anyway. :roll:
Zoey

Postby moonlight » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:28 am

I wasn't able to keep my intention with exercise. Maybe today will be the day I allow myself to move past this stubborn resistance. I feel like I'm two completely different people in the same body!

I ended the week up 2 lbs. so lots to do on making better decisions this week!!
moonlight

Postby Ejeff » Tue Jan 21, 2020 8:37 am

Going good for me. Had a social function this weekend, but it worked out well as it was a taco bar. I took my own taco chips and refried beans to remain oil free.

I made some muffins with smashed up bananas and strawberries and 1 cup of oats and 1 cup of flour. They are super moist, it’s amazing how they are so tasty and sweet without having to add sugar. Cooked up some farro so will be eating that this week. I think I I’ll make some air fried potatoes too as I haven’t had those in a while.

Zoey, I hear you. Is it possible to remove the chocolate from the house? I have my best success when I just don’t have it available.
Ejeff

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals