Reflections on a Life Change

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Reflections on a Life Change

Postby FoodisFuel » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:04 am

Okay. I successfully made it through day 1 of the program. I got my 10,000 steps in (easiest way for me to track my walking) and did not eat anything that is not a part of the program. I did eat too much starch at lunch as I did not eat my greens first and was then too full to take another bite. I ate my spinach first for dinner.

I am surprised to find that I am not loving veggies. That is a sign to me of just how far off my own normal eating I have gone. I have eaten veggies most of my life because I usually really like them. Right now they taste bitter to me or have little flavor. I know that if I stick to this plan I should like them again in about a week because that is what happened to me before.

I am finding that I am not hungry in the morning. I think this is because I've been eating too much for the past month. I haven't eaten breakfast yet today although I've been up for a couple of hours. I think I should have eaten because I'll be out from noon until four and I don't want to wind up starving but I didn't think of that earlier. I'm not sure what the best way to handle this is. I will eat breakfast before I leave and then slice up an apple and bring it with me because at this stage that's something I'll enjoy. I will need to research what to do about this going forward.
FoodisFuel

Re: Reflections on a Life Change

Postby FoodisFuel » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:09 pm

Thanks Serene!

I ate my apple and it held me over until I was back home. When I was waiting at the car dealers I found myself automatically going over for a cup of hot chocolate to make the wait more tolerable. Before I started the machine I realized that I don't drink that anymore. Instead I sat down and found something interesting to read to pass the time. I'm realizing that I do mindless eating as well as reward eating.

I did stay with the program yesterday and happily enjoyed the broccoli I steamed. I also had Brussels sprouts as my young adult son loves them.

I don't feel good today and have no appetite. I've got plenty of healthy, cooked food in the fridge, but I'm going to stick with tea until I feel like eating.

I am realizing that I need to get unhealthy foods out of the house. I have some almond crackers which I used to snack on because they had an onion flavor and were salty. Since I don't feel well, I want crackers and they are here in all their salty glory. I am going to walk them to the garbage chute. Luckily, most of the food that I'd like to eat that is in the house has gluten which makes me sick so it's easy to ignore.
FoodisFuel

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals