CarrieB's journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

CarrieB's journal

Postby cbritten101 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:04 pm

So this is the first time I've made a journal, public OR private. It's a little scary, but easier because I don't really know any of you :D

I am 61 years old and have only been at a "normal" adult weight for about 15 minutes. I began my first diet at 12, and have never really been off of one, yet have continued to gain weight with each additional year. I'm afraid it has become something of an obsession, that food, grocery shopping, cooking, and eating are the majority of my thoughts and time every day.

I have been following Drs McDougall, Fuhrman, Klaper, Esselstyn, and T. Colin Campbell for many years, probably about 35 years. But I have allowed myself to be talked out of full committment to any of their programs by family and friends (and the pleasure trap, for sure) to the point of being about 40 pounds overweight.

No more. I'm done pleasing other people. I'm done cooking what they want to eat and shopping for foods I do not believe are good for human consumption. This decision has been met with mixed results by my family. I have a wonderfully supportive husband though, and that will be key for me.

So here we go, good luck to all of us here in this forum, and thank you in advance for all your support.
Carrie
Focus on the Journey, not the Destination
cbritten101

Re: CarrieB's journal

Postby debbiebellerose » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:40 am

I think there are many of us in this boat. However, everyday we wake up we have a clean slate in front of us. The more we stay “ on track” , the easier this becomes. I find having vegetables, fruits, whole grains and legumes ready to go makes all the difference in the world for me. It’s when I don’t have the healthy foods ready to go I grab something not so healthy. I eat plant based 100% of the time, but that doesn’t mean it’s always a healthy choice.
debbiebellerose

Postby Aprincess » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:53 am

Hi Carrie,

You’re right. Your husband being on board is key. This would be so much harder for me to do without my husband. I do have an adult mentally challenged daughter that still wants some of her favorite foods. That’s where it gets hard for me. I don’t want to force it on her but I hate fixing crap food for her, too. So, we’ve found a way to compromise and she basically eats what we eat a good 5 or 6 days a week and then has her crap food for 1 or 2. When she’s with her father, I have no control, so she gets plenty of junk when she’s with him. I do see her starting to make better decisions just from watching us, though, so I’m hopeful!

Have a great day! :nod: :-D :D
~ Amy ~ :) :-) :-D :D
Aprincess

Postby cbritten101 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:30 pm

Today went really well. We have been keeping our grandkids over the Christmas holidays while school is out, and today was the last day. So I can truly clean the junk food out of the house now.
Breakfast: air fried potatoes
power greens
pico de gallo
Lunch: Whole foods salad bar with romaine, kale, beets, quinoa mix (no oil), tomatoes, cucumbers, black eyed peas, and balsamic vinegar
Dinner: Butternut squash curry (fatfreevegan.com), brown rice, and frozen mixed veggies

The curry was really good, but a pretty time intensive. Just realized I didn't have any fruit today. Will try again tomorrow.
cbritten101

Postby Aprincess » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:32 am

Sounds like a great day of eating to me, especially if you still have junk in the house. Good job!
~ Amy ~ :) :-) :-D :D
Aprincess

Postby cbritten101 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:57 pm

So things are going well. Really not experiencing any cravings or difficulties. Yay!
Today's menu: No lunch because I have a class tonight, so dinner will be early
B: Oat groats, blueberries, flaxseed meal. I used a small amount of almond milk to thin it out.
L: apple
D: Sauteed swiss chard with balsamic
eggplant/lentil stew
farro
cbritten101

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals