Lennie's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Lennie's Journal

Postby LennieP » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:42 pm

I think this journal will be good for me. I think the mental/emotional part of eating is one of my primary failings. I stated in the signup email that I have several general weaknesses that I hope to grapple with.
1)eating out or too richly when I am tired, esp at the end of the day
2) hungry at work, go get coffee and end up with a pastry too
3) chocolate or other sweets cravings after eating, esp at night
4) caving in and eating goodies at social situations
5) generally eating too much and getting uncomfortably full

I am 5'2"157# 57 yrs old

goal 135#

food today:
oatmeal with peaches, a bit of soy milk, ground flaxseed and a bit of brown sugar, cinnamon and cloves
baked potato skins with mushroom sauce
bean soup
bean soup(I liked it a lot!) with brown rice

How I felt about it: pretty darn good! A good first day.
LennieP

Re: Lennie's Journal

Postby LennieP » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:47 am

Day 2

oatmeal/peaches/cinnamon and cloves/soy milk/bit of brown sugar/ground flax, coffee

bean soup with brown rice, carrot, clementine, tea

carrot

mushroom barley soup, spinach salad with lemon tahini dressing(I know tahini is not on the program but I need to finish this lovely, homeade dressing)

not much exercise just 2 short dog walks.

Feeling good and already feeling some of the effects. :-D
LennieP

Postby moonlight » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:58 am

Keeping a journal is a great way to track your actions - not just progress. Over time, if you have struggles, you can see the pattern developing from your diary. If you struggle, ask for help. This forum is amazing. Many knowledgeable people who have made this transition and are willing to help you.
Good luck with your goals!
moonlight

Postby Ejeff » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:01 am

Glad you are already feeling the effects, it’s amazing how quickly that happens. I am the same age and height as you and was able to drop over 30 pounds. I believe you will reach your goal and feel really great before you know it. :-D

Wishing you continued success and good health!
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby LennieP » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:32 am

Day 3.
b oatmeal w mixed fuit, soy, bit of chokecherry syrup, flaxseed, coffee

l. mushroom barley soup, tea w bit of sugar

d. veggie "fried" brown rice, baked apple (this was probably off program since was a xmas gift)

BIG exercise--2hr 20m Xcountry ski, 40 min dog walk. I was really tired after this. I definitely felt that I was at the end of my available glucose stores during that ski on just a bowl of oatmeal. Of course I didn't bring a snack! I notice that my husband doesn't tend to bonk like I do on long skis or bike rides--could this be a sign of impending problems with metabolic syndrome stuff? Or is he just in better shape?

I worry about these sorts of things. I have had some elevated bp's when I go to the dentist and want to avoid getting into the medication hamster wheel. I need to get my blood panel done and some consistent bp readings without dental fear to see if it is really an issue instead of avoiding dealing with it.
LennieP

Postby LennieP » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:38 am

Day 4

b oatmeal, mixed fruit, soy, flax a bit of chokecherry syrup

l. worked through lunch, surprisingly wasn't hungry until about 3 p.m.

d. salad w tahini dressing, mushroom barley soup, banana

exercise. 2 short dog walks

I was working and couldn't be bothered to go home and eat but by 3:30 when I got home I was starving! I was pretty scattered, headed home to get grocery bags so I wouldn't have to use plastic, wanted to go to the bank at the same time. Ended up forgetting the bank stuff. Shopped and got home very anxious but luckily I had salad stuff and my mushroom barley soup. This is a time when I would normally order a Dominoes pizza and eat my half without even tasting it, so that was good. Another dangerous time is after dinner, my husband offered me chocolate and I was reaching out to take it and my daughter just started to laugh at me(!) If she hadn't done that I would have taken it. Unfortunately, she heads back to college next week and I will have to rely on my own resources. :roll:

My brother is coming for a couple of days. He recently lost his wife and I feel bad for him. We grew up loving food and eating a lot of it. He is a bit overweight and has cholesterol and bp problems. I will try to feed him and my husband and daughter without totally falling of my plan.
LennieP

Postby LennieP » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:50 pm

Day 5

b. smoothie, coffee

l. mushroom barley soup, broccoli slaw, green tea

d. ww spaghetti with tofurkey, bread, dark chocolate, 1 beer

Dinner was a bit off the program but on the up side I did 90 min of yoga and 1 hr hike with 2 small dog walks.
LennieP

Postby LennieP » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:35 pm

Day 6

b oatmeal wi raspberries

banana

early d Vegetarian burrito, 2 Margaritas :|

Dinner out with my brother. Vegetarian burrito at our local Mexican Restaurant. All things considered I think I did pretty well. Just can't do this stuff very often.
LennieP

Postby LennieP » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:28 am

Day 7

b oatmeal wi raspberries

l. curry veg with brown rice, tea

d. curry veg wi brown rice, small amnt ww pasta wi tofurkey

half apple

1 hr hike
LennieP

Postby LennieP » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:33 am

Day 8

b. oatmeal w raspberries and soy, coffee

l. curry veggies, apple, tea

d. ww pasta w marinara sauce and tofurkey, 2 glasses of wine, carrots w hummus

Art opening tonight so had some appetizers and wine but not too fargone....Lost 2 pounds for the week but got a bit sidelined by this opening and brother's visit
LennieP

Postby LennieP » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:43 am

Day 9 (Saturday)

b. oatmeal w raspberries, soy, coffee

l. curry veggies and tea

snack dessert item from bakeshop and coffee :duh:

dinner dominoes pizza (I caved!)

bad food day today. I did BOTH activities that I identified as weaknesses--coffee shop and end of day, low energy pizza purchase. My beautiful daughter was working at the coffee shop, I had a gift certificate and she leaves again for college so I HAD to go....As for the pizza, I was in working, didn't think I would stay and realized I had signed up for an hour of work at the end of the day. I would have been fine to come home and eat curry or soup or whatever but I had to have something for my family so I did a fail....

Week in Review--several weak points. Entertaining/eating out, ordering in were my downfall. Some alcohol consumption. I really need to learn to make my husband eat what I eat, it would be good for him too...
LennieP

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals