kthakk4's 2020 MWL journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

kthakk4's 2020 MWL journal

Postby knt » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:16 am

Starting my own MWL journal inspired by others here. I plan to track daily progress on the 10 point check list and log wins/difficulties in following the plan.

10-Point checklist:
Start each with a soup/salad/fruit:
Follow the 50/50 plate method:
Choose fruit for desert:
Reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts:
Eliminate all animal foods:
Eliminate all higher fat plant foods:
Eliminate any added oil:
Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods:
Don’t drink your calories:
Don't under/over eat:
Exercise for 30 mins:
knt

Re: kthakk4's 2020 MWL journal

Postby knt » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:03 am

10-Point checklist:
Start each with a soup/salad/fruit: :thumbsup:
Follow the 50/50 plate method: :thumbsup:
Choose fruit for desert: :thumbsup:
Reduce or eliminate added sugars a nd added salts: :thumbsup:
Eliminate all animal foods: :thumbsup:
Eliminate all higher fat plant foods: :thumbsup:
Eliminate any added oil: :thumbsdown:
Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods: :thumbsup:
Don’t drink your calories: :thumbsup:
Don't under/over eat: :thumbsup:
Exercise for 30 mins: :thumbsdown:

I checked 8 of the 10 items today - decent day. Had to fly after a full day of work so did not get the time in to get exercise except for the walking around at the airport. Had to eat out for lunch and dinner - but I planned ahead of time and stuck to the plan. Made good choices including starting with salad/soup and 50/50. Food I had must have had some oil in it so could not be completely oil free today. Travel days are generally very difficult for me - so pat on the back for sticking to the plan today.
knt

Postby Drew_ab » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:53 pm

You are off to a great start. Kuddos to you for your commitment to health. Mind sharing a bit more about your goals, motivation for changing, health markers, and so forth?
Drew_ab

Postby knt » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:13 am

Thanks @Drew_ab! Wasn't sure if anyone other than me was reading this. But now that you have, here is some more information about me :)

I am 34, Male, living in Bay Area. I have been overweight/obeese for the majority of my adult life. I have also been trying to get healthier for the most of my adult life. I have had moderate success losing weight in the past, but have been losing and gaining back the same 20-25 lbs over the last 15+ years.

I spent my childhood and teenage years in India eating fresh, home cooked vegetarian meals. Ate without quantity restrictions and was still underweight. When I moved to the US at 17, the the calorie density of the food went way up and so did my weight. I didn't know it at the time, but my hunger drive was being manipulated by attractive, tasty food that was cheap and always available. So I ate myself from underweight to obesity in the span for two years all while thinking that I was winning at life (much like the story Dr. Lisle tells of a bird on heroine). That was nearly two decades ago and I have struggled to take that weight off since then.

Other than the weight loss, there are other motivations for being on MWL in 2020. I have a family history of hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease. Going into the second half of my thirties, I am increasingly paranoid that a heart attack or diabetes diagnosis is just around the corner. I'd like to live my life without the worry about dropping dead the next day.

Secondly, my thoughts are constantly consumed by either food or weight loss. I constantly find myself on pendulum either thinking what tasty, mindblowing foodgasm I can have next (one last time!) or feeling guilty about my unhealthy habits. Losing weight has been a goal for a long time. I would like to achieve that goal and move on with my life once and for all. I would like to get to stage where I can be comfortable with food as a fuel (as opposed to fun) that makes it possible to pursue other things in life. Currently, it feels like I am either living to eat or living to get healthy. Neither one is a desirable to me.

I have attended a 3-day intensive weekend program with Dr. M and his team. I have also read and watched all available content on the topic (what I said earlier about thoughts/mind being consumed by food or health). My main struggle has been and will be adherence to what I know. I am using this forum to hold myself more accountable on that front in 2020.

My stats:
Height: 6' 2"
Starting weight: 257 lbs
BMI: 33
BP: 122/86
Cholesterol: 196 Total, 130 LDL
Triglyceride: 105
knt

Postby knt » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:53 am

Was at a meditation retreat for the last four days so I could not post here. MWL adherence was good but not perfect for the last four days. At breakfast, I ate oatmeal with bananas every day. On the last two days, I was really hungry and I also added a PB&J - which violated MWL principals - nuts, concentrated starch, and added sugar.

For lunch, I primarily stuck to brown rice with steamed veggie/salad and beans/curry. The later was not oil-free and one of the days it featured Tofu. No dinners served for the four days.
knt

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals