Stephanie's Journal - One Bite at a Time...

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Stephanie's Journal - One Bite at a Time...

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:27 pm

Trinity wrote:Wow, Stephanie, you are doing great! I was wondering if you’ve heard one of Doug Lisle’s analogies about this WOE. You probably have: it’s something like we’re in a submarine or boat (gosh, now that I think about it I’m not going to get this right but I don’t know where to look)…let’s say a boat because it’s less claustrophobic…we’re in a boat that is taking water all the time and we’re constantly bailing it out to stay afloat. That’s what doing McD is like in our current environment where non-McD food is around all the time and constantly in commercials and we’re wired to eat the richest food which is the easiest to get etc. etc. So if that’s the case then MWL even more so.

I love early mornings but I absolutely can’t fall asleep at night if my husband is still awake and I unfortunately just need a lot of sleep. 5 am would be my ideal wake-up time. The summer before I got married I would wake up at 5 am and go for a 6-mile run and fall asleep at 8 pm before it was even dark…those were the days! :wink:

Hi Trinity!

Thanks for sharing this analogy from Doug Lisle... I have NOT seen this before, but can understand how you describe this bailing out of boat concept...

Hard to run and keep timetable like you say with little ones... But it sounds like fun!!! I did this too in prior days (but probably 6AM)... :cool:

Take care,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:39 pm

Hi,

So, I am grateful to feel really fantastic today. I feel a bit foolish for starting my own stress last week with additional goals that made for a couple of fiery hoops (which I would prefer to avoid)... Wasn't relating the goals to "Keep it Simple"; "Don't Overcomplicate this" which JeffN does consistently say... Don't know why I couldn't identify this faster, but just shaking it off and moving on...

Found a great poem that seems relevant to McD'ing and today's world in general...

He Tells Her by Wendy Cope

He tells her that the earth is flat ---
He knows the facts, and that is that.
In altercations fierce and long
She tries her best to prove him wrong.
But he has learned to argue well.
He calls her arguments unsound
And often asks her not to yell.
She cannot win. He stands his ground.

The planet goes on being round.
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby Lizzy_F » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:17 am

Hi Stephanie! Just wanted to pop in and thank you for your support and encouragement! I'm going to start a new accountability journal for the new 12-Day Program me! I also joined the MWL group. The more accountability and support, the better. I am so determined to carry on with time and adherence. I just don't want to consider "falling off" as an option.

I love that poem! And also the boat analogy shared by the other poster. We really do live in a toxic food environment. I am so happy that lots of potatoes just seem to make my brain and body feel so GOOD!

Wishing you an awesome holiday weekend!

Beth
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby Ruff » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:54 pm

I love this poem, and I have sent it onto a few other people as well. It makes me think of some Paleo people I know! But then they probably think that way about us! I saw a post once that asked "why are people still vegan when all the evidence is against them and for paleo?" That made me think, obviously they are cherry picking their research. But are we also? Then I thought about the results. Paleo made me slow and sick and tired all the time. Plant based...I run over mountains...nuff said!
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:38 pm

Hi Beth, :)
Thank you for stopping by... Awesome that you joined the Time & Adherence group and are keeping a fabulous journal!!! Glad that we were able to connect... Power in numbers (same tribe?)!!! :) I am not considering "falling off" an option either... Potato strong... Keep going, you are doing great!!!

Hi Katie, :-D
Glad you liked the poem. Agree, this is pertinent to the paleo people... Sadly, I think it is relevant to LOTS and LOTS of folks today with money = power (including media time)... I wonder sometimes if folks (in US) have stopped learning how to critically think (maybe partially powered by No Child Left Behind and teaching kids how to take tests.... )... You run mountains!! Amazing!!! :D

Cheers,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

Random Weekly thoughts...

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:18 pm

Hi,

So watching the Mary McD interview that was in the email yesterday... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdOHh364EYU Not that far in, but I have to say that this is amazing so far!! She is a super "real person" speaker and heartfelt with her comments. I may watch in chunks since it is 1:42 - but will definitely finish it. I TOTALLY LOVE LOVE LOVE some of her recipes - tending toward the super simple ones... I am so impressed how she developed all of these no oil, no animal recipes - when there wasn't much (if any) guidance to follow. Also, totally remember this red plaid cookbook she is talking about ...

On the topic of interview / lectures, LOVED this Jeff Novick lesson on label reading... I was lucky enough to be able to hear it at the 12 Day, but a refresher is always great (and I did attend this one "live"). Super entertaining as well as INFORMATIVE!!! Even if you are following MWL and not eating much packaged food, there are key learnings for condiments to help you pick the best one that you can. Watch it!!
https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 22&t=62181

Was thrilled to get to the Farmer's Market this weekend (last weekend was rained out). OMG, I don't know what has gotten into me with the cauliflower... Bought a huge head of purple (tastes same as white, but is super pretty)... Also purchased: Roma tomatoes, watermelon, various onions, blueberries, radishes, various mushrooms...

Missed my melon last week! Scored a couple of Tuscan melons at TJ's... These are cut -- as well as the watermelon & other produce..

Made Jeff "Mushroom" burgers... HA! Made it up from the great template - which is excellent because I can remember it and it comes together well for me (Foreman grill)!!! These are wonderful!! Ingredients below:
Can of kidney beans
Can of red beans
2 cups of oatmeal
2 T of tomato sauce
Hot sauce - a few good shakes
A couple handfuls of chopped red onion
A regular size can (like 15 oz.) of NSA mushroom pieces & Stems

Also, made a bunch of roasted potatoes. Bought more Pomi tomatoes and NSA beans ... as well as split peas to replenish the stock!! Hoping to be good from a food prep perspective for the week ahead.

Goal weight... I have none... HA!!! I was pretty ok with where I was for the past 3+ months with a + or - 1 lb deviation. Well, then I lose 2 lbs. total over 2 weeks which gets me to what I announced on page 1 of my journal was my "goal"... Was a bit anti-climactic as I had already started thinking of the scale as a thermometer --- to help guide whether to increase / decrease non-starchy veggies... So, I am great to be able to "tick" this off... My goal remains to be able to follow this way of eating for lifelong health / weight management.

I have also stopped allowing any specific checklist point to take up too much real estate in my head. Just looking to follow overall...

Well, that is a lot of random thoughts.... :-D

For all McD peeps, check out Karen Carpenter live "SIng"... Happy song!!! We can all relate to "don't worry if it's not good enough for anyone else to hear..."
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=yo ... &FORM=VIRE

Cheers,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

Postby Trinity » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:04 pm

Hi Stephanie, your post just made me so happy. I haven’t watched Jeff Novick’s lecture yet but if you say it’s entertaining I’m going to put it in my watch list for the car ride home. The burgers you made sound amazing and I love hearing about farmer’s markets. My parents have one in their town I hope to get to on Saturday. I made roasted potatoes last night as part of our meal and they are always a favorite. I’m glad you have no goal weight! I think that removes some of the stress of wanting to get weight off fast. Hope you have a great week!
Trinity

Postby Ruff » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:36 pm

I am sewing today. I will listen to Jeff Novicks lecture whilst I do it, Thank you for the suggestion and link.
Katie

Ruff

Postby VegSeekingFit » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:38 pm

Hi Trinity! :)

Thank you for your nice comment which made me smile... (and I am in need of a smile today!!)

I think you will like the lecture (and Katie will too!! ) :-D I will tell you that my HUSBAND who does not McDougall (except he will eat rice, potatoes, some veg & fruit) --- heard bits of it and really liked it. I didn't ask for his opinion, he just told me.

The burgers are great... I like to add sometimes frozen corn or chopped bell pepper too. Delicious --- and can mix and match spices, different beans or grains, etc.

If you get to the Farmer's Market, please share your bounty!!! :lol: I look forward to going on the weekend and usually buy the items that taste significantly better from there vs. local grocery.

Pretty happy to forget about the weight except for a weekly check on the scale.... Very freeing!!!

Hi Katie! :) Happy sewing!!!

So, I am eating on plan and keeping it simple. By not focusing on any specific checkpoint, I am feeling much better mentally. I think that I was like rubbing salt in a wound each night by thinking of weaknesses to overcome. Much more relaxed now (and not focusing on "the bad"). Remembering it is the 95% and not the minutiae.

Have to end this on a somber note... :-( My heart is with all of the folks in Highland Park (about 30 min from me). It is a beautiful and peaceful area with a tight-knit friendly community. Grieving for the community - especially the families and friends who lost loved ones. Wishing that this town was trending in social media for the excellence of Ravinia or anything else.

"I can't believe the news today...
Oh, I can't close my eyes and make it go away

How long, how long must we sing this song?
How long? How long?" - U2

This is #309 mass shooting in US for the year... Lynn Sweet is a writer from DC visiting the area - she wrote a great column explaining how this one hit home for her (after covering many other such stories over the past couple of decades)...
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/7/5/2 ... lynn-sweet

Best to all,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

Postby Lizzy_F » Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:42 pm

Hi Stephanie!! I did't realize you live so close to Highland Park! (which 'burb do you live in?) Our world seems to be getting more and more violent and unpredictable - I just don't even have any words. I can't imagine what the directly impacted individuals and families are going through. :crybaby:

Thank you again for connecting me into your cohort support group! I'm really enjoying the group chat. I'm finding it so helpful to immerse myself into the McDougall Program as much as possible. Your tips and support mean a lot to me!

I watched part of the Mary McDougall/ Chef AJ interview last night (until I fell asleep LOL #oldpeopleproblems). Mary is SO AWESOME! It really was fun to listen to her on her own! You know she has to be a super strong woman and strong personality in her own right to be able to partner with Dr. McDougall!!

I also am enjoying immersion into Jeff stuff. Are we going to tell him that there are a whole bunch of married women our here claiming to be his girlfriends????? :lol: :lol: :lol: (Hi Jeff! :D ) I'm looking forward to watching the label reading lecture - I pick up something new every time I watch Dr. McDougall, Jeff, Dr. Lisle, etc. etc. even if I have seen the lecture previously. More immersion I guess!

I hope you are having a fantastic day!
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:24 pm

Hi Beth, :)

I don't have any more words on that topic either... Just :-(

I am so glad that you are able to join us and that you are enjoying it!!! Strength in numbers... You definitely bring so much enthusiasm and humor - much appreciated! Happy to have met you IRL. :-D

Also, so glad that you are doing AWESOME! Will check in at your journal later.

On the humor topic, I think that you let the cat out of the bag that middle-aged ladies can be silly... :mrgreen: So, no -- I was going to follow the "rule of Vegas"... I am going to put a bit of context around this (and then best to let it drop) --- just because I would be unnerved if places reversed... So, after almost an hour of talking weekly challenges, successes, recipes... a participant says something like "I have been reading so many Jeff articles and threads that it is like he is in my brain - like a secret boyfriend.." I think most found this pretty hilarious... Hope that you may get a small chuckle, Jeff.

Hope that you have a wonderful weekend!

Best,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

7/8 Time & Adherence Group - Weekly Food / Exercise

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:16 pm

Below is Behavioral assessment that I will post to the Time & Adherence Group.

Hi Team Time and Adherence! :)

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
:) Yes. Still usually salad / raw veggies, but a few times fruit. Still loving the cauliflower - also loving tomatoes of all kinds -- and Romaine and carrots...

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.
Choose fruit for dessert.
:) Yes.
Still was crunched for time this week. Used simpler approach (same as I posted last week).
Did some batch cooking over the weekend - roasted potatoes, soup, roasted veggies, cut produce (yes, this counts!), Jeff burgers.
Made some super simple plates for meals like: raw cauliflower, carrot, grape tomato with roasted potatoes. Preloaded with frozen fruit.

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
:) Yes. Reduced not eliminated. A few times this week I had a controlled amount (like 1-1.5T) of California balsamic vinegar or BBQ sauce - both sugar. A few times this week I salted potatoes.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
YES, of course. :D

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
:-D Yes.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
:nod: YES.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
:D Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
:) Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
:) Yes. I didn't stuff or starve.
I think I only snacked once after dinner this week. My appetite was not what it usually is for a few days. Today, it has come back with a vengeance.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes. :)
* 7/7 days walked briskly

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

Somewhat ironically, by not hyper-focusing on any certain parts of the checklist --- I did fine on all points this week. Relief! :)

Comments:
Welcome back, Mark! Hope you had a great vacation!

Noella, loved your post to Beth! Thanks for sharing your successes and enjoyment of the McD food!!! (Insert love emoji)

WOW, Wildgoose, really loved your post on the "flock" concept --- how we are all on the journey together and nobody gets left behind... (Insert another love emoji)

BambiS So fantastic that you reached 50 lbs. lost!!! YAY!!!! You've worked diligently to get there! :D

Rebecka22 - Hope that you are feeling a bit better each day. Covid sounds like a miserable way to start the summer.

Beth - Mark Cooper answered your questions!! :) I'll weigh in with a few thoughts:
Pressed for time --- I was taking this as you didn't have time to eat your standard meal? Perhaps because I am a super slow eater. When I have to eat faster, I would choose things that are "scarf-able" --- like banana, grape tomatoes and potato fries / slices or Jeff burger.
For the pinto beans, some additional things you could try for heat / spice are: cumin, chili powder, cayenne --- or add hot sauce at the table.
A few signs of healing --- clearer skin, more energy, dropping clothes sizes, rings fit, wanted to move and could move faster, clockwork digestion, thicker hair, faster growing nails, cuts / abrasions heal faster, wake up before alarm clock, mental clarity, feeling terrific.... (probably missed some).... I continue to notice changes 14 months out.

Carol - You asked if anyone else needs constant reminders --- YES, I sure do!! :) Also, what you mentioned about making your split pea soup more of a stew --- that is what I do too. It is super filling a quite tasty!!

Hope everyone enjoys the weekend!
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

Postby Ruff » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:34 pm

Hi Stephanie, just popping in to cheer you on.

I am storm bound here today (we might pop up to the top of the dunes at high tide, I think it will be quite impressive) so I am visiting everyones journals whilst sitting in front of a roaring log fire! after a good read around the forums with a cup of tea, I am going to spend the day with my knitting and crochet. it can be quite fun to have a 'storm day'.
Katie

Ruff

Random Weekly thoughts...

Postby VegSeekingFit » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:07 pm

Hi Katie!! :)

Thank you, for cheering me on. This helps a ton. Much appreciated.... I LOVE your routine that you described --- only since we are opposite seasons (on opposite ends of the planet), the fire is NOT what I'd love now... (but will appreciate in a few months) :lol:

Hi JOURNAL,

So, pretty cool thought... I had another quote in the recent McD email on the 12 day... even better than the last (IMO)... OMG!!

Here it is... "I am most excited about the support built into the course. I am happy that there is support, when and if needed to keep me on-track." - StephanieD YES, I have been a pretty needy person... more than I would think... So a huge THANK YOU to every single person on these Boards (and in IRL) that has helped me a TON to just keep going (and course correct). I wish that I could figure out how to pay it forward...

Funny thing that I found when looking at old McD archives of newsletters ... Pretty hilarious - graduation song from Oct 9, 1994 McD Program (sing to the tune "Hit the Road Jack") :

Hit the road fat and don't you come back no more, no more, no more, no more
Hit the road fat and don't you come back no more!

There's more lyrics... I am just too lazy to type them out...

Fun with walking.... It is weird that I see houses where I would like to know the people... So, here are a few examples:
* Huge number of sunflower plants in a row... saw the woman planting them - now they are enormous... YAY for the birds... pretty!!!
* House with a sign " Don't feed the velociraptors..." and then in their fenced yard they have fake ones (dinosaurs!!)... pretty damn hilarious...
* Places with Free Little Libraries --- I pass at least 4 on my walks
* House with Rainbow flamingo birds in support of Pride month...(so, ROYGBIV flamingos!!)
* Hate has no home here signs...
* OK, there is a guy that I call "sun speedo" in my head... so, will just leave it at that... (nothing nefarious here... he is like mid-70's laying out on a black asphalt driveway with aluminum something to tan.... )

Had to go buy new pants ... saggy baggy jeans... Anyway, was far less traumatic to try on pants in the horrible dressing room lighting now that I have been on plan for a bit... So, I am down at least 5 jeans sizes --- and probably will not go down more than that because I am at a good weight for myself now... not concerned if I do lose a few more pounds, but pretty much the right size for my frame. Have no aspirations to be smaller... I am at a FIERCE weight... :lol:

Reading many books at the same time... Not sure if anyone else has that have several books going at the same time? Got this Atomic Habits (and was impressed with the Foreward)... Also reading Sugar Salt Fat (again, I listened to the audio as well as Hooked)... which makes me quite mad because I resent being manipulated... Still chugging through Vegetable Literacy... Joy Fielding's "Cul-de-Sac" and Stephen King's "Billy Summers"... Oh boy, that isn't even mentioning my stack of books that is "real" on my coffee table... :mrgreen:

Hope that everyone has a great week!!

Best,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

Postby Trinity » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:15 pm

Hi Stephanie! Wow you are doing great! 5 jeans sizes!!!!! I’m going to look back at my McD emails and try to find your quote. It’s like I know a famous person!

I’m also reading more than 1 book now…“Courage to Start” by John Bingham and “Housekeeping” by Marilynne Robinson though I’m more of scanning it. I liked “Salt Sugar Fat” when I read it. I’m waiting for “Atomic Habits” and excited about it.

Keep up the good work and thanks for supporting the rest of us!!!
Trinity

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals