Stephanie's Journal - One Bite at a Time...

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

7/22 MWL Group - Weekly Food / Exercise

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:38 pm

Hi Katie, :)

Thank you for stopping by and for your support. It means a lot!!

Hi Journal,

Another week down... crazy --- time to do the weekly report again...

Best thing this week is that I have FINALLY figured out how to do pictures... Will try not to over-do, but seems a bit fun, huh?? :D

So, my little cat was a bit miffed that I didn't post her picture... :lol: First picture of the post is today's lunch... This is: finger food salad (note the pretty purple cauliflower), Jeff burgers & roasted potatoes, and blueberries with nectarine -- pretty yummy!! :-o

Then, here is Minnie doing what she does best...

Next best thing this week is the pull chopper that Wildgoose recommended on the MWL thread. Going to pick up some tomatoes and jalapenos tomorrow for a homemade pico de gallo. Also, going to make the pasta salad that WG posted.

Final best thing this week .... Summer hours!!! :-D Going to take another walk and then get some yardwork done. The weeds are definitely winning this year.

Below is Behavioral assessment that I will post to the Time & Adherence Group.

Hi Team Time and Adherence! :)

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
:) Yes. Mostly salad / raw veggies - sometime fruit. Loving blueberries this week. Also, loving baby cucumbers and broccoli.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.
Choose fruit for dessert.
:) Yes.
I continue to make the same recipes in general.
I did eat pasta more this week than I normally would - 50/50 with roasted veggies.
Ate a ton of potatoes - baked, roasted, microwaved, grilled on the George Foreman.
I still love the 50/50 Mexican type of plate with potatoes, beans, corn on one side and romaine, tomatoes, red onions, peppers on the other with a bit of salsa and taco sauce. Delicious!

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
:) Yes. Reduced not eliminated. I used salt a few times on potatoes and once about 1.5 TB BBQ sauce.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
YES, of course. :D

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
:-D Yes.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
:nod: YES.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
:D Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
:) Yes. I didn't stuff or starve.
I keep recommended foods READILY available to snack on (as needed). I pair up a starch with a fruit / veggie. I did snack a few times this week / hungry!

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes. :)
* 7/7 days walked briskly
Many days took two walks. The morning is generally a bit cooler --- and different things to see!! Also, like to take a break at lunch as well. This schedule will likely change when the weather / daylight is different in the late fall, but is great for now!

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

Again, not stressing on any particular checkpoint seems to be a much "happier path" for me...

I feel like this "positive self-talk" concept has been the most challenging thing for me to fully grasp on this journey AND I think it is so critical to being able to continue on...

Hope that everyone has a wonderful week!!! Who may eat the most potatoes??? :lol:

Best,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Re: Stephanie's Journal - One Bite at a Time...

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:58 pm

Hi!!

Perhaps ridiculous... but I am super loving this pictures thing...

Here is my breakfast!!

OK, favorite breakfast... except it isn't split pea soup? WTH? Seriously, ridiculously good and worry not that this makes you gain weight!! Pretty yummy!!! So, I am super anxious about many things.... but following MWL Checklist will not be one of them!! EAT if you are hungry!!! EAT EAT EAT.... Recommended foods, recommended fashion (MARK COOPER!!!)...

Here is my bounty from Fruit Market --- got rained out from Farmers Market... Yes, I will eat all of this --- except the split peas..

OK, my other cat is mad that she isn't featured here... :D Boo... Finding it hard to find her picture...

Cheers,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby squealcat » Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:18 pm

Stephanie, that looks like what I buy at the store each week! My fridge is SO FULL and then by the end of the week it is SO EMPTY! I admit I haven't bought melon yet this summer except for a couple of small watermelons. I should put on my list for next week.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:47 pm

Hey Marilyn, If you get the melons this week --- try to find "Sugar Kiss" cantaloupe... Super delicious!!! Have the same "empty" fridge thing at the end of the week... :)

Hi Journal,

So, like I said... loving this picture thing... Here is my MWL eating in pictures... HA!!! I will try to keep it under control and not photo everything!!! :lol:

First, here is my other cat... She is at least 2.5 times the size of Minnie... but she sure gets bossed around... :)

I bought the pull-chopper that WildGoose recommended in MWL thread last week. I am pretty much NOT a "get all of the appliances " person... BUT... This is pretty awesome. Easy to use and easy to clean and small!!! So, SCORE --- big thanks to WG!!! Other thing that I would say is that it is FUN to use!!! Here is my first salsa --- just 2 kumato, 1 large Roma, maybe 1/3 red onion, 1 large jalapeno (used about 1/3 of the seed for heat)... that's it ... and it is really good!!!

Best,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

Postby wildgoose » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:41 pm

Stephanie, your salsa looks outstanding. Glad you’re enjoying the pull chopper. When you wash it (by hand is best — I don’t own a dishwasher, but I imagine even if I did, I’d wash this by hand), two things to keep in mind. (1) Don’t get water inside the lid. Keep water away from the little hole the string comes out of, because if the string inside gets wet, it’s a mess. (2) Be careful cleaning the blades — they’re SHARP!

I’ve given tons of those choppers as gifts, and they’ve never not been a hit. QVC sometimes has multi-packs of them on sale (yes, I admit, I’m an "In the Kitchen with David" fan). I first saw the chopper demonstrated there, and I was hooked. It lives up to the hype.

Love your cat pictures too!

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Postby VegSeekingFit » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:02 pm

Hi Wildgoose,
Thank you so much for the tips on cleaning!!! Will definitely keep the water away from the pull-string --- handwashing !!! :) I like that the blade piece comes with a protector guy for when you put it away... My cats say "hi"... they live to be admired.... :lol:

Hi Journal,
So, no food pics today. Too lazy to take any. Plus, I guess it would mostly have been potatoes, more finger food salad, fruit, pasta.... boring looking (but tasting delicious!!)...

Here are "summery" marigolds with a butterfly visitor instead.

Peeked at my weight which is holding steady - almost 3 weeks. So that is good news!!! :) Today I have already had 6 potatoes, sloppy lentil salad (on Romaine), and various fruits & veggies... so certainly not hungry!!! :D

Have a great day!
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

Postby Trinity » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:01 pm

Stephanie, I love your pictures! The food, your cute kitties, and that beautiful butterfly on the flower! I hope you keep it up!
Trinity

Postby Lizzy_F » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:21 pm

Hi Stephanie!!!! I am totally loving your pictures! The food is beautiful as are your flowers and your KITTIES! I ordered that pull chopper thingy and it arrived last night. I am going to make some pico in the next day or two. :D I saw the washing tips from Goose which I too will follow!

Keep showing us the PICTURES!

I need to figure out how to do that. Bingo and Jojo (German Shepherds who think they are people) want to say hi! 8)

Still plugging along here. I am so anxious for that stupid scale to read 169 (highest weight for healthy BMI for my height) that I just KNOW it won't move there for another 6 months. (I was at 171.4 this morning!). :-P

What are summer hours for you? Summer hours for me are goofing off 100% of the time! I don't get to do that every day, but a certainly some days, which I LOVE! :lol:
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby Lizzy_F » Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:22 pm

Oops I pushed the GO button too quickly...

I meant to congratulate you on maintaining your lovely low weight, while enjoying all that lovely FOOD!!!! Your posts give me so much encouragement and hope that maybe I too can eventually get there!
Beth

Lizzy_F

7/29 MWL Group - Weekly Food / Exercise

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:46 pm

Hi Trinity, Hi Beth! :)

Going to keep doing some pics - you guys have encouraged me!!! :lol: Haven't taken any this week - busy with work so a bit distracted. However --- just for fun will post below from last year.... GUESS the animal.... Give yourself points if you are correct...

OK, if you guessed "flying squirrel" you win!!! And, yes - he likes to hang out on the peanut feeder (but only at night)...

Beth, thank you for the support!! :) You are doing great --- just keep going like this myopic tortoise... :-D Also, awesome that you got the pull chopper!!! Looking forward to seeing pics of your shepherds!!! Rick posted instructions on his journal --- I actually am using the site that he linked to (you don't have to get an account to use it)... Read a few places Terms & Conditions to compare... blah blah blah... So, summer hours that I was referring to are really for my job... between Memorial Day and Labor Day we can (if business activity permits) close down at least 2 hours early on Fridays. :cool: Your summer hours sound better than that!!!!

Hi Journal,

Not much to say today... I actually dropped a couple of lbs. from Wednesday -- expect that may be a fluid anomaly as I have been consciously increasing my starch % - since I am pretty ok with staying where I'm at... Mind-blowing (or science??) that this whole Time & Adherence concept works --- even on me... :lol: Seriously, I think that my starch % tweaking may have been partially offset by taking longer walks (actual is more like 90 min / day) and not eating my split pea soup each day (in perhaps a misguided attempt to rationalize my beans to the 1 c.)... Anyway, will continue to monitor / adjust... I guess I really never managed my weight before, just let it fall where it may... (and look where that got it...) :eek:

Hoping to go to Farmers Market tomorrow... Have not many plans over the weekend as I am on call if any work production issues ... so my fingers are crossed there.

Below is Behavioral assessment that I will post to the Time & Adherence Group.

Hi Team Time and Adherence! Happy end of July.... :)

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
:) Yes. Still mostly salad / raw veggies - sometime fruit. Loving cantaloupe this week. Also, loving purple cauliflower, Romaine lettuce, and carrots... ok, baby cukes too... :lol:

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.
Choose fruit for dessert.
For starch, I ate a ton of: whole wheat pasta, Sloppy Lentils (made with red and double veggies), potatoes (lots of YG and red) mainly microwaved (time was short!)
Added raw or roasted veggies and fruit to the meal.

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
:) Yes. Reduced (not in cooking or product; at table only). I used salt a few times on potatoes.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
YES, of course. :D

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
:-D Yes.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
:nod: YES.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.
:D Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
:) Yes. I didn't stuff or starve.
I keep recommended foods READILY available to snack on (as needed). I pair up a starch with a fruit / veggie. I did snack a few times this week when hungry between meals.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes. :)
* 6/7 days walked briskly (took a rest day, but counting full credit here due to time....)
Many days took two walks. Liking a 6:30AM and a lunch time walk. The weather has been beautiful except a couple of rainy days (but not stormy)...

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
Still is working great for me to focus holistically on the Checklist. I am still kind of amazed on how that has changed my mindset and enabled me to be more relaxed about the whole process (and increased adherence at the same time).

I so appreciate reading everything shared on this thread!! This is such a fabulous community... Thank you!!!

Hope that everyone has an excellent week!!!

Cheers,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

No finish Line

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:28 pm

Hi Journal,

One thing that I am grasping my brain cells around is that there is no magical "finish line"... For instance, whatever goals that you may have set at the onset of McD'ing... and now achieved... You may reach them, but there is this maintenance concept.... (which is iterative... just keep going...) WildGoose has a great post about this somewhere... ( Just keep doing what it took you to get there... and don't get mad at me for telling you so...)

For example, I have exceeded my weight loss goal... So??? A couple of people have suggested to me, this is great... now you can go back to the #5/#7 things that you had to give up... (and was hard!)... NO NO NO NO NO... Yeppers, have done that "experiment" and nope... Not even on my radar --- and kind of scares me in a way. So, YES ---- I will follow the MWL checklist with those recommended foods without delving into others...

Anyway, just wanted to say that this is learning to eat for life... Yeah... I am pretty ok with that concept... Also, folks going for it... remember that there are iterative improvements in how you feel / quality of life ... as you go ... even before you reach some "magic" number.... Just keep going!!!

Walk on Sunshine!!! (Sorry, this is more a ladies song... :-D )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CeRWTdYFY8

Hope that everyone has an excellent week!!!
Best,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

Postby Lizzy_F » Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:26 am

Hi Stephanie! I wish I would have saved my GoGo Boots from back in the day! :D

Love your musings on maintenance and the long term of this program. I definitely can't afford to think in terms of doing it one way to lose weight, and doing things a very different way for maintenance. I know that won't work. I would rather strive to adhere to MWL principles 90% of the time (or something like that - I'm still figuring it out) now AND later. If I completely let go of the MWL principles, I think that honestly I will end up in the ditch sooner rather than later. I love how Dr. McDougall encouraged us during the program to just figure out 10 - 20 meals that we LOVE and just put them on repeat. I think if I repeat that many meals I LOVE the vast majority of the time, things will work out fine. (I'm not talking here about adventures into the Pleasure Trap. I'm talking more about the occassional use of products such as corn tortillas or whatever.) Who knows. That may end up being a really bad idea too. Will have to see what happens when I get "there" - wherever "there" ends up being!

I just bagged up 6 more bags of too big clothes to take to the local Mission tomorrow. I have way too many clothes!

Hope you are having an awesome Sunday! :D :D :D
Beth

Lizzy_F

Postby Ruff » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:53 pm

just popping in to say Hi...and I love the photos. Just reading through the journals to catch up again.
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:08 am

Loving your pics here! Your food choices look really good, too. Good thing for the MWL guidelines...they help a lot, don't they? simplifies things ;)

I was guessing rat on that flying squirrel LOL I knew it was a rodent! I knew it! hahahahaha
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby VegSeekingFit » Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:10 pm

Hi Beth, Katie, Heidi!! :)

Thank you for kind comments!!! OMG Heidi -- YOU WIN the figure out the picture thing!!! Rodents... hmmm... I am pretty good with the flying squirrels and even petted the one that I pictured, but you are RIGHT... rodent... I am only scared of the rats that have a tail like a snake... :lol:

Hi Journal,

So, I am writing up my challenge / transgression this week that I will include in my weekly MWL report...

After several weeks of "all good" have hit a bump... Had the #5 and #7 foods (BOO!)... But, have otherwise followed regular MWL eating... I honestly do not understand why the dry, salty calorie dense is so attractive to me... and I know if it wasn't in my environment, then I wouldn't eat it... Kind of a conundrum...

Anyway, I did practice this being kind to yourself thing... I kind of understand what set me up to do that... A bit too much work and I had to stay up (when I wanted to sleep) to synthesize IT findings on a work project... So, don't play your little violins for me... I am still going mostly "unbothered"... and a few thousand calories (but I don't really know how many)... of CRAP does not really have to de-rail anyone... Just get back on the bike...

"Made a wrong turn, once or twice
Dug my way out, blood and fire
Bad decisions, that's alright
Welcome to my silly life...

Mistreated, misplaced, misunderstood
Miss knowing it's all good, it didn't slow me down
Mistaken, always second guessing, underestimated
Look, I'm still around" - Pink

Anyway, I blame this on the Zombie junk food seeking part of my brain... that usually would not be activated, but I had to stay up!!! Will look for more solutions... I did eat first potato and fruit (that I love)... So, perfection is not a good goal for me... this happened, but I go on!!!

Wishing everyone a wonderful week!!!

Cheers,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals