Weight Loss and Recovery

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Weight Loss and Recovery

Postby Ruff » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:53 pm

kirstykay wrote:I'm re-reading the MWL book. It's been YEARS since I've read it and, frankly, I truly thought I knew everything. But, I am learning things I don't think I fully understood before. Either that or they are just making sense to me in a new way or I'm just in a different place than I was back then. Idk, but this feels transforming. I'll share more specifics later, but I'm really glad I picked this book up again.

I think I need to reread Starch Solution! I will start that today. Thank you for the idea.
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby squealcat » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:04 pm

KK: I just read the last few posts and I agree, that I also needed to read SS again. I picked it up and started scanning some parts and read a couple of chapters. So glad I did ! That book was written a few years ago and it still is "right on" today !! Thanks for the push to read it again (even though you really weren't pushing....just making a statement ). I am looking for ideas and there it was ! :nod:

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby kirstykay » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:31 am

Ruff and Squealcat,
Thanks for commenting here. I'm so glad you've been inspired to re-read SS! I am finding my "refresher course" of re-reading MWL has been revolutionary!

I have printed out the 10-point checklist numerous times and followed it to varying degrees, but never too consistently. I am realizing now that is because I see that list as another set of "diet rules" and that brings up all kinds of reactions that range from, "Wow, this is amazing and so simple to follow. I'll have no problems with this." to " Oh, man, this is too hard. There is no way I can keep this up!" to "You can't tell me what to do, I'll eat what I WANT!" to "I really need to get back to following this because I have to do something about my out of control eating, and I know this will work."

I don't know if anyone can relate to this cycle, or if I just sound crazy. I know sometimes I FEEL crazy. What I've realized from re-reading the book is that I have lost the meaning and reasoning behind it all. By that, I mean, I have been treating this checklist as a set of rules that are being imposed on me (against my will). Now that sounds super crazy because I'm willingly here. No one is forcing me to do this or join the MWL group. I WANT to. But, as someone who was first introduced to dieting at the age of 9 (when my mom took me to my first WW meeting), dieting has ALWAYS felt like something that has been imposed on me...something I "should do" because I am broken, not like all the other "normal" people out there who can behave "normally" around food. So, while there is a part of me that wants to lose weight and who knows that I need to control my eating in some kind of sustainable way, there is another (often stronger) part of me that REALLY resents it and will rebel against any kind of restrictions I put on myself. Because, let's face it, I'm not 9 years old anymore and I am the boss of me. But, diet culture is super toxic to me because of my history with it. I could go on about that, but I won't. That's not my point. My point is that when I understand the science behind things, and the reasons certain things work or don't work, the "rules" become something else. They become tools. They become answers to my longing for freedom from the food and body war I've been in for the last 45 years. They become that freedom. And that changes EVERYTHING. I am not broken. My body is not an anomaly. There is NOTHING wrong with me. I don't have to engage in this war any longer. I can walk in the freedom laid out in the MWL plan, even in the 10-point checklist because I can understand why and how it works and stop seeing it as punishment for being somehow defective.
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:17 am

kirstykay wrote:I can walk in the freedom laid out in the MWL plan, even in the 10-point checklist because I can understand why and how it works and stop seeing it as punishment for being somehow defective.
I feel like this is a really important observation, and it made me think of this post and discussion from June 2020. It can be really easy to forget, but YOU, yourself, are NOT the problem. :)
Mark Cooper

Postby kirstykay » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:13 am

Thanks Mark! That post is so helpful and timely! I appreciate your helpful and encouraging comments!

I'm posting the text from the 2020 post here because it's so rich with helpful and foundational information for really making this program work long term. I know I've posted the latter part of Jeff's comments on my journal before, but it bears repeating here in the context of his larger post:

To reiterate, we don't expect perfection, because making these changes in behavior is extremely difficult; the direction of participation for the group is important - are you willing to make an honest attempt to follow the guidelines as intended, and keep trying to work toward improvements when you are struggling? If so, you are in the right place, no matter what your starting point is, and how much (or little) success you may feel you're having at the moment. Intentionally planning NOT to follow the guidelines, or not attempting to make changes when appropriate, however, doesn't serve the individual participant well, nor is it good for the group as a whole.

Just because you are struggling, doesn't mean you are "broken" or something is wrong with you! These are HARD changes to make and, especially in the beginning, they might not feel very good at all.

JeffN wrote:
As Dr Lisle says, part of the problem is that when in the pleasure trap, doing the wrong thing feels so good and doing the right thing doesn't feel good." Even when one finds success, exposure to the Pleasure Trap can very easily put someone right back there.

We live in a very toxic food environment where there is very little social and environmental support for what we do. This is not always easy for everyone to deal successfully with.
I think people tend to underestimate how much that toxic food environment is stacked against all of us. The convenience stores, groceries and restaurants are replete with calorie rich, ultra-processed, unhealthy "foods," supported by an unceasing (and increasingly targeted) advertising machine. Untold dollars and resources are expended devising and presenting more and more insidious "food traps" to ensnare us. No wonder it's a struggle! The problem isn't you! As Dr. McDougall would say, "It's the food!" Taking all that into account, it seems essential that we stack the deck in our favor. The people who are able to successfully practice this WOE long-term, the people who make adherence "look easy" have actually invested enormous amounts of time and effort to shift the balance to be as much in their favor as possible. They have a plan for how to succeed, tested by trial and error, time and effort. To paraphrase Jeff, "things may not always turn out the way we planned, but we increase our odds of success by planning to succeed." If we take it as a given that we can't be successful, or don't try, we are planning to fail. This lifestyle only starts to feel "easy" after all that work has been put into making it so. Don't fault yourself when this is hard, but don't fool yourself into thinking it will ever get easy without putting in A GREAT DEAL of work.

I would humbly submit that many who believe that MWL is significantly more restrictive than the regular McDougall program, are perhaps misunderstanding the boundaries and recommendations of the standard McDougall Diet. If one compares the MWL 10-Point Checklist to the 10-Point Checklist for the McDougall Program, they are remarkably similar. The differences for which the McDougall Program allows are meals comprising up to 90% minimally processed starches, and the allowances for LIMITED amounts of calorie dense foods and LIMITED amounts of higher fat plant foods. (Additionally, it omits the recommendation to begin meals with soup and/or salad and/or fruit.) So one must ask themselves, based on an honest appraisal of past history, current status, and health and weight loss goals, am I likely to be able to include limited amounts of these foods without making things harder on myself, or am I more likely to overeat these foods? What has typically happened in the past?
JeffN wrote:
People struggle to achieve their goals and when they take a close look at their diet, they see, there are too many foods that may be allowed but not ideal.

That is why many can't find success till they go on the MWL program (or some other stricter version of the program). The MWL is pretty black and white about what is allowed. There are no exceptions to it either. The regular program has a lot of gray area. And, for many, the little becomes a lot.
JeffN wrote:
Know thyself.

As this study shows, for many of us, it is that occasional lapse on a "forbidden food" that is going to start the downward spiral.

Looking at the full study, it was forbidden foods, usually consumed at home, usually in the evening, usually on the weekend. So, to be successful, we have to keep our home and our environment a safe place and to avoid feeling deprived, which we can do by eating when we are hungry until we are comfortably full of the approved foods.

As the old saying goes, "out of sight, out of mind." For many of us it is also, "in the house, in the mouth."
I'm not saying one particular path is right or wrong, but rather it will be most productive to decide what is attainable for you at present, and work assiduously toward achieving the changes that are appropriate.

The lengthy thread on Compliance on a Healthy Diet provides a fuller picture of important ways one can set themselves up for success. Near the end of that thread, Jeff provides some valuable recommendations.

JeffN wrote:
I had 3 Q&A Sessions and this topic came up in each one, especially in the last one. I reviewed most of the things in this thread with the group but they still wanted to know what were the 3 most important things I recommended for their best chance at success.

Here they are...

For the first 6 months to a year....

1) Simplicity

Keep this as simple as possible and resist every influence to make this complicated. You don't need 5 versions of oatmeal, and 15 dinners, and fancy pots, pans, utensils, etc. Just use what you already have and keep it simple. Oats, fruit, rice, beans, veggies. They dont have to be organic, Non GMO, fair traded, imported, etc. Eat sweet potatoes, not imported Japanese Satsumas. They can be fresh, frozen, canned, etc, whichever makes it easiest. You just need oatmeal, brown rice (Starch), beans and a few veggies and fruits you like.

2) Focus

First, on this program

You invested a huge amount of money, time, effort and energy in Dr McDougall, his program and his staff. Trust your decision and the process. For the next 6 months to a year, if you have a question, ask Dr McDougall, Mary, Doug, Alec or me. We are all accessible. If you need a recipe, Mary has about 4000, if you have a question, most of them are answered in the forum or our hot topics. If you need reading material for support, we have a dozen books, 100's of newsletter and articles and videos going back about 30 years. Read the Hot Topics and this website and my forum and the Education material at the website and the FAQ here in my forum. When done, re-read them. If you need, email us, we are all responsive.

It is not that others WFPB Health Professionals are wrong, it is just that there are some slight differences between them all and you are just going to get confused. I would tell you the same thing if you picked one of the others but you are all here and made this choice. And, there are many WFPB "experts" that have little to no clinical and patient experience but you may not be able to know that about them. You are spending this week with a bona fide, licensed, credentialed professional team that each has over 25 years of direct clinical experience helping people. Get the most out of your investment.

Second, on yourself.

Until you have put the time in over the next few months and understood the program and been able to achieve and maintain your own success, keep the focus and attention on yourself. Do not worry about telling your spouse, your parents, your daughter in law, your cousins, your neighbor, your hairdresser, the local school, your church group, the food industry, the USDA, the FDA, the FTC, your doctor, the neighbors kid, etc etc or anyone else about the program or trying to get them to do it. Keep the focus on yourself, understanding and implementing the program and getting yourself well. We are not asking you to become a evangelist or preacher of this way of life or to try and convert anyone. We are only trying to help you take care of yourself.

This is not selfish, this is self nurturing and right now, you need all your focus and attention on you.

3) Avoid the vegan trap

Fully explained in this thread...

When Vegan is not Enough

As predicted, vegan is now a trend, and while this is a good thing for the animals and possibly the environment, for most of us, this is bad news as most of the vegan food in grocery stores and restaurants is not healthy. The Pleasure Trap appeal of this food is very very strong and hard to resist.

However, no one has ever come to the 10-Day program to save the animals or save the environment. They made the huge investment of time, money, energy and effort for one (and only one) main reason, their health is suffering. And, almost always, this is a major health issue and not a minor one. They come to my classes with the primary goal of learning how to address, treat and reverse their health issue through diet and lifestyle, not to be a vegan.

Don't mix them up.

This has turned into a lengthy post, but let me finish with the reminder to eat when you are hungry.
JeffN wrote:
When hungry (regardless of whether you may think it is true hunger, appetite, or something else) just eat. Eat of the recommended foods as outlined in the 10 point checklist.

Over time, it will work itself out.
It should not require Holmesian levels of attention to know when you are full. Do you feel uncomfortable? Are you stuffed? If you overshoot the mark, take note and do your best to slightly adjust next time, but don't spend energy fretting and beating yourself up over that - if you stuffed yourself on MWL suitable foods, the calorie density was low and it seems unlikely that you will be continuously stuffing yourself at each meal, each day, on an ongoing basis. Don't overvalue the importance of these episodes, or think you need to perfectly manage hunger cues, as compared to the impact from including troublesome foods in your menu or planning not to adhere on a consistent (or occasional) basis. If you are over consuming problematic foods, the problem isn't your appetite, it's the food, and you can direct your efforts accordingly.

Also, based on Jeff's comments that I highlighted above, regarding the differences between MWL and the regular McD program not really being THAT different, I have decided to continue on the path of MWL with a new mindset...one that is not focused on deprivation, rather one that sees this as being my best hope to achieve my goals and restore my health. MWL is the tool I need to make this lifestyle change. Others may have had success with the regular program, but I do "know myself." My brain is tricky and will use any grey area as to convince me that certain "allowed" foods are harmless, but they quickly become quite harmful.

TRIGGER WARNING-DON'T READ FURTHER IF YOU WILL BE TRIGGERED BY MENTION OF OFF PLAN FOODS!

One recent example is avocado and fresh baked whole wheat bread. Before I rejoined MWL most recently, I had come out of juice fasting and and ADF that was a disaster... then tried to follow Dr. Fuhrman for a while. Of course, I did his strictest, "emergency" plan which was very low calorie and pretty complicated (and expensive). Then I stumbled upon this adorable YouTube couple who both lost 130 pounds eating whatever they wanted (not at all vegan) by just calorie counting and exercising. I had the brilliant idea that I could do that, too, but I would just keep it vegan. So, I began eating vegan food, but whatever I wanted - with the only restriction being that I had to stay under a certain (low) calorie total for the day and exercise everyday. I thought this would be "freeing" because I was loosening up the rules of what I could eat, I just had to control how much...and it would be better than fasting, right?
Well, during this time, I had gotten into the habit of having some very "healthy" avocado toast for breakfast...Whole Wheat bread from a local bakery (organic, no additives, vegan, and delicious, but expensive-$8 a loaf), avocado, red onion, arugula (so much delicious arugula, it was practically a salad) and fresh tomato slices and Everything Bagel seasoning sprinkled on top...definitely very healthy. Problem is, what started out as one piece of bread with 1/4 avocado for breakfast soon turned into 2 pieces with 1/2 an avocado, which eventually ended up regularly being 4 pieces (and including the whole avocado). Once this habit was ingrained, I started toasting and eating the bread with peanut butter. and sometimes jam ( organic, all-fruit jam, of course), first a measured amount that I counted. Soon, I wasn't measuring it anymore. Often times, I would eat all this in the same morning...not right away, but maybe an hour later because the bread and the avocado and eventually the peanut butter (which I keep in the house for my very thin husband) were calling my name and I couldn't rest until it was gone. Then it wasn't just in the morning anymore...you get my point. The slippery slope in action. WOW! writing this all out is really embarrassing. But, it is the truth. And not an uncommon progression of my overeating/binge eating progression. And because I was counting calories, I often used up all my calories in the morning and then could eat barely anything the rest of the day...but I usually would cave in and eat anyway.

END OF TRIGGER

So, when I opened Dr. McDougall's book and read Chapter 2: THE POWER OF HUNGER, I literally read it like I was reading my own story! It practically made me cry. Had I heard/read this before? Yes, but I read it from a completely different experience, a personal one. More importantly, I believed it for the first time!
" What everyone who wants to lose weight must first realize is that the hunger drive was not meant to be ignored or suppressed. It was designed by nature to be POWERFUL, sometimes overwhelmingly so, in order to keep you alive. Therefore, the longer you go without food, the stronger the hunger drive becomes." (p.15)

I'm not flawed or morally weak or "addicted" to bread and avocados, or powerless to change, as I have believed for so long...I am NORMAL. My body behaves normally and predictably when faced with a lack of food. My hunger drive is powerful and predictable and doing it's job to keep me alive! AND...it ALWAYS WINS! And when it does, which it will and always should, I am filled with guilt and shame instead of gratitude for a body working normally to protect me. WOW! This changes everything.

kirstykay

Postby Ruff » Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:19 pm

Gosh KK, this makes really powerful reading. Well done on working this through. Its looks like you are in a great place for moving forward from here. We are all rooting for you.
Katie

Ruff

Postby kirstykay » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:15 pm

Thanks, Katie. That means a lot coming from someone who I know has been there. I appreciate you cheering me on! More than you know. :)

kirstykay

Postby kirstykay » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:44 am

I'm preparing for our trip to Chicago. We are driving, so I'm bringing food for the 12 hour drive. I'm bringing cooked red potatoes. I enjoy eatingbthem cold with a little salt. Also, raw veggies and no oul hummus. I also have some fruit: bananas, sliced cantaloupe, and fresh strawberries and blueberries. Should be a good travel day. We always drive straight through, and my husband likes to drive, so I get to be the passenger. We'll leave at 6am and with a couple quick stops for gas and bathroom breaks, we'll arrive by 6:00 or 6:30 pm. We'll head over to my M-I-L's house for dinner. I'll cook something simple like a veggie Stir-fry with rice. She likes when I cook, and I like to leave them with some healthy meals when we visit.

We're staying with good friends who know we eat "weird." They are happy to let us use their kitchen and don't try to cook for us. They mostly eat take out. I'm bringing my IP. I plan to stay on the MWL path. I hopped on the scale yesterday and it was down 2 pounds which is very motivating!

kirstykay

Postby Ejeff » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:13 am

Excellent, you have come to understand the MWL program is the one that will work for you! Thank you for such an informative post, I intend to read it a few more times.

Have a great trip, I love cold potatoes also. :-D

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Ruff » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:00 pm

Have a wonderful trip :D
Katie

Ruff

Postby kirstykay » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:44 am

I'm back from our vacation! It was a wonderful trip, and over-all I feel like I did well with MWL. Not "perfect" but really, really well. Probably the best I've done while traveling to date. We are lucky in that we stay with friends who just let us cook our own food and enjoy eating some of it with us. Especially our morning oatmeal! I had to make extra each day because they always wanted some and asked me to show them how I make it taste so delicious! That was fun. We also made an easy stir-fry, mashed potatoes and veggies, and on our last evening there, we were going out to a ballgame and knew we didn't want to eat ballpark food, so before we left we had a delicious meal of grilled vegetables, spinach salad with chickpeas, fruit salad, and baby dill potatoes...it was wonderful and they really enjoyed it. They bought treats at the ballpark, but we didn't feel the need to and were perfectly content and full from our wonderful meal. One other night my mom treated our family to a restaurant meal (the only one on our entire trip), but she let me pick the place. I chose a Mexican restaurant that served really fresh and not too oily veggie fajitas with TONS of veggies in them (zucchini, yellow squash, onions, peppers, Portobello mushrooms). I did have the fresh tableside-made guacamole which was off plan, but delicious. Also, the car rides ( 12 hours from SC to Chicago, and another 8 hrs to visit our son in Iowa) were good. I brought veggies, hummus, fruit, and potatoes and had plenty to eat. My husband reminded me that we often just eat out of boredom while on long car rides, and we determined not to do that, but ate at appropriate meal times instead. I brought Spindrift to have when I felt like I wanted a "treat." It all worked beautifully. Overall, I felt like I really enjoyed our trip and felt relaxed and in control of my eating. I didn't fall into the "vacation mode" trap like I normally do, but I did splurge on a couple things like the guacamole and some nuts, but nothing too terrible.
That being said, I am happy to be home and in my own food-environment again. It's just nice to be back and not feel like I have to make up for the indiscretions of being gone.

The other exciting thing I did in Chicago is buy my Mother of the Bride dress! My girlfriend asked me if I had it yet, and I said no. She asked me if I was still trying to lose weight first, which of course I was. She told me to forget about that and buy something that I feel amazing in right now and if I lose weight I can have it altered. She went shopping with me. I felt great in several dresses and even had other MOB's and MOG's compliment how I looked great in everything I tried on. It was a real ego-booster! I chose a dress I absolutely LOVE and sent my daughter a picture and she loves it too! It's so satisfying to relax and not feel like I HAVE to lose weight before the wedding. Of course, I'd LIKE to, but if I don't I will be okay and feel confident and comfortable. That is a huge relief. It take the "desperation" of losing weight off the table and makes me feel like I really CAN just focus on adherence to MWL and the 10 steps. THIS is how it's supposed to be. My old self would be planning what cleanse or detox or fast to go on for the next 3 months in order to lose as much weight as possible before the wedding, but that's not the way I want to live anymore. It's so liberating!

Our 4th of July is quiet. I was having some emotions about that, after just leaving all our friends and family and knowing that they are getting together without us. I am still adjusting to living so far away from everyone. We could have planned more, but wanted a relaxing day after our trip before my husband has to go back to work. There is a bbq at our neighborhood pool, but food-wise it's not a great idea for us to attend. We may head over there to swim a bit later, but not plan on eating. Also, we're not going to go to the city fireworks, but many people set them off in our neighborhood, so we''ll see those. It's just weird. 4ht of July used to be such a BIG celebration when our kids were growing up...parades, picnics, fireworks...makes me a little sad and feels like we're getting old. I am made corn salad, potato salad, fruit salad, and the veggie burgers featured on the McDougal website. We will have a feast and leftovers for the week! Yay! :D

I have a plan for the week for food and exercise, and I'm feeling strong and confident and ready to hit the ground running now that we're back home. It feels good to be back! I'm taking a week -long trip with my sister later this month. She is also always trying to lose weight but usually with SAD WW diet. She's used to my woe and tolerates it, but will want to drink wine and have more of a vacation mindset while we are out. I plan to build on what I did right this time and have no regrets again with that trip...making this a lifestyle and not a diet is my main objective, and I really feel like I'm on the right path to do that this time!

kirstykay

Postby Trinity » Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:57 pm

You are an inspiration! Good timing too, I’m at my parents’ house for the week with my kids. I’m going to remember your post when I’m tempted to boredom-eat or vacation-eat!
Trinity

Postby Ejeff » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:36 am

That’s wonderful you enjoyed your trip and made excellent food choices. It’s so true how we snack on road trips because we are bored. Good you and your hubby realized that and made changes.

How exciting you found your dress! My youngest daughter is getting married in 11 days so we have started some of the running around to make sure all the details are covered. It’s going to be a busy, but exciting few days.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Ruff » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:08 pm

I am so happy for you that you found YOUR dress and that your daughter loves it too.And I am so proud of you that you are not getting back into the 'how much weight can I lose in 3 months' bandwagon. We all know how that ends dont we...and its not pretty. You are doing amazingly well, just work the steps and all will be well.
Katie

Ruff

Postby kirstykay » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:34 pm

Trinity, Enjoy the time with your family!! I hope it's a great te of connection and fun! And yes, we are always happier when the food is right, too, aren't we?

Erin!!!! Congratulations on your daughter's wedding! 11 days!! WOW! That's soon. :) I hope you have a wonderful time and that all the last minute details get buttoned up without any trouble!! Enjoy!! You'll have to give me some tips when it's all over!

Katie,
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm in new territory here, so your insight and confidence and experience really helps me! Yes, I was so happy to find my dress and love it. It. 3 months will go by in a flash! I really appreciate your support.

kirstykay

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals