Weight Loss and Recovery

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Weight Loss and Recovery

Postby Trinity » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:02 pm

Kirstykay, I’m so glad you’re back! I probably never posted on it but I’ve read your whole journal. You and Bunso both recommitting today was a great birthday gift :) I’ve never been able to stick to the MWL guidelines for very long, but for about 7-8 months now I make my main meal microwaved peeled potatoes and it has made my life so easy. I keep them peeled in water in an extra instant pot liner on the fridge and so when I get hungry I stick 3 in the microwave and food is ready in 10 min. Fruit and vegetables with balsamic vinegar on the side and by the end of the day when I’m sick of potatoes I eat a normal dinner with my family—Split Pea Soup, pasta, Speedy International Stew, Gallo Pinto or something easy like that.

Good luck, we’re with you!
Trinity

Postby kirstykay » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:26 pm

Thanks Trinity!!
Those are some really great tips! And I really appreciate the warm welcome! :)
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby Ejeff » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:34 am

Welcome back Kristy. To keep it super simple for point number 1, make a big batch of soup in your Instant pot or on the stove. Portion out serving sizes and keep 5 or so in the fridge to be ready for the next 5 days and freeze the rest. If you would prefer salad instead, prepare carrot sticks, cucumber slices or whatever raw vegetables you enjoy. Have these raw vegetables ready to go so you don’t have to think about point number 1.

Glad you are back! This program will work for you, don’t focus on the weight, focus on being successful in meeting all 10 points. Perhaps you could also post on your fridge the number one reason you are doing this. My number one reason is to remain active and pain free.

Looking forward to reading about your success going forward!

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby kirstykay » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:30 am

Thanks Erin! Great tips. I think I will make soup today. And I need to buy potatoes. I was doing a plan that shunned potatoes(what was I thinking?) so I've gotten out of the habit of having them around.

DAY ONE - MWL compliance
I am counting today as my Day ONE of my new lifestyle. I KNOW I can do this, I've done it before quite successfully, and I intend to be here for the long-haul, no matter what.

It's great advice to write down my "WHY." I am doing this for my health. I know weight loss will be a byproduct of healing, and I have learned the hard way that I cannot focus on the scale because it messes with my head. I have had T2D for 18 years and thanks largely to Dr. McDougall and his teachings and the WFPB community, I have not suffered any long term health consequences from this disease. I know, however, that I am walking dangerously close to the edge, and I need to get myself a safe distance away from that. I have stayed off medication and fought really hard against my food addiction to get where I am today. But, it's not where I want to be! I used to weigh 260 lbs. Today, I weigh 187. My A1c used to be 12.1. Now it is 8.7 (up from 7.4 6 months ago). Still too high...and I can fix that. I intend to get my blood sugar as well as my weight into a normal range with this WOE and lifestyle. I am done with shortcuts, fasts, tricks and hacks! This time I mean it!!! They only serve to keep me stuck and sick. I am ready for permanent change while I still have the ability to turn this around.

I am using this journal to record my progress and success as well as my struggles as I turn my life around. I spent the morning printing off most of the MWL recipes from the website and putting them in a binder to help me get started. I know when I did this before I had my go-to recipes, but I feel like I've gotten so far away from this that I need a refresher course in what to eat. Printing the recipes helped. I also ordered the new edition of the MWl book even though I have the original. It will be here tomorrow and I will read it from cover to cover and take notes and that will be my refresher course. It feels good to be back here and not look back, only forward!

Today's Meal Plan
Bkfs: Oatmeal with mixed berries
Lunch: Salad at a restaurant- will ask for lemon juice for dressing (meeting a friend for lunch)
Dinner: Kale and White Bean Soup with brown rice ( I have a lot of Kale I need to use up)

I already had my 3 mile walk this morning...had to get out early because it's going to be 100 today!!
I may do Yoga with Adrienne later this evening.

kirstykay

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:57 am

KK is back! hey grrrrl :)

Let's do it! I read a few of your journal posts from early in this edition, and just realized that we signed on here the same year, 2009 and lost weight (mine was more like 75 lbs, nowhere near my ideal weight) over three years, and kept it off nicely for a while. :nod: go us!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby JeffN » Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:39 am

Welcome back and my best wishes for your success.

kirstykay wrote:Lunch: Salad at a restaurant- will ask for lemon juice for dressing (meeting a friend for lunch)

Your plan is great, Just one comment
Whether you can get it there or have to bring it with you, you might want to make sure you have some minimally processed starch with your lunch. They might have some potatoes or beans or rice that meets the guidelines that they can add. Or of course, just bring a spud or two with you.

Regards
Jeff
JeffN

Postby squealcat » Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:32 pm

Welcome back KirstyKay ! I, too was swayed by others because I panicked and wanted to lose weight faster, afraid I would not "get there" by eating the McDougall way. How crazy ! Did it get me anywhere? NO ! I am at the same place I was before!

Let us support each other !

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby kirstykay » Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:41 pm

Jeff, thank you for that advice. I really appreciate your input and encouragement. I did end up having some potatoes when I got home.

Heidi!!!! YES!! I guess that makes us LIFERS!!! I have been thinking a lot about those early days and what made it all work for me back then, and why I ever strayed... One thing I do remember is that I was very compliant because I was pretty scared. I had just gotten a cancer diagnosis, and realized I HAD to do this if I wanted to see my kids grow up. Fear was a great motivator...until it wasn't. I had so much success that I got complacent and almost cocky..."I've got this." Turned into "I don't have to be so 'strict.'" Turned into "I can come back to this if I get into trouble again." Then I got distracted by other things and had a hard time getting back here. This time I am concerned about my health, but I also recognize that fear isn't enough of a motivator long term. I am approaching this as the GIFT that it is; one that will enable me to live my best life well into old age. I'm doingbthis for ME this time, and I intend to ENJOY IT!!!

Marilyn,
It sounds like we're twins!! Yes! Let's support each other!! We've GOT this!!! :-)

kirstykay

Postby kirstykay » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:40 pm

Slowly but surely getting back into the groove of things. Keeping it simple. Today I was able to do some cooking for the week. I steamed red potatoes in the IP, made some brown rice in my rice cooker, made a sweet potato, Kale, White bean soup and also Dr. McDougall's wellness soup. I have some fresh and frozen veggies on hand and just bought a watermelon that I'm looking forward to cutting up. I think I'm set for the week. We are leaving next week for a trip to see family. We're driving and staying with our dear friends who let us use their kitchen freely and don't try to cook for us, so I'm going to bring my IP with me so I can cook most of our meals. In fact, they love when I cook for them, especially my morning oatmeal. They eat mostly take-out. They are throwing our daughter a wedding shower, which will be wonderful. I have no idea what the menu will be for the shower, but I will prepare a veggie and fruit tray. I'm actually really happy to be on this plan because it really is so simple to follow on vacation...just steam up some potatoes and rice and buy some bags of frozen veggies, make oatmeal for breakfast and we're all set.

kirstykay

Postby Trinity » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:19 pm

I didn’t know your daughter was getting married—so exciting!!!
Trinity

Postby kirstykay » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:08 am

Thanks, Trinity! We are super excited and so happy for them both. We love our future son-in-law, and are so grateful that God brought them together in His perfect timing! They were old friends from College. They had kept in touch casually, but never dated until about a year ago when he reached out to our daughter to reconnect. Neither of them were dating anyone else and their love quickly bloomed. They were both turning 30 and had pretty much given up on finding their person. And then they did! They will be married in Denver in October.

kirstykay

Postby kirstykay » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:57 am

I made a list of compliant meals that I know I like, are easy to make, and enjoyable. I have to keep reminding myself that this is not too hard for me or out of my reach. I think I have been in the "pleasure trap" for so long that I can't trust my brain. I need to go into auto-pilot on this WOE and not listen to my thoughts from my lower brain that doesn't want to give up getting what it wants. Making this list helped me in that endeavor:

BKFS
Oatmeal with Berries
Sweet Potato Beginnings
Potato Hash
Fresh Fruit

LUNCH
Veggie Soup (any kind)
Salad (McDougall Recipes)
Mixed Greens and Veggies with Sweet potatoes and Beans
Tu-no Salad
Veggie Wrap
3 Bean Salad
Leftover Dinner
Veggie Sushi

DINNER
Veggie Stir-fry W/ Brown Rice
Split Pea Soup
Potato Corn Chowder
Chili or Taci Soup
Burrito Bowls
Lentil Tacos
Beans & Rice
Pasta Primevera
Air Fries W/ Greens
Cabbage Roll Ups
Bean Burgers / Corn on the Cob
Grilled Vegetables w/ Roasted Potatoes
Mashed Potatoes w/ Mixed Veggies

"Partial adherence is neither partial nor adherence."
"Minor and occasional indulgences are often neither minor nor occasional."

I just saw this on another thread. I have been the queen of "partial adherence " and "occasional indulgences." I attribute that to my inability to reach my goal and stay there. That changes now.

kirstykay

Postby Ruff » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:12 pm

KK! Hi! I have just read through your journal, not every word but most of it. Reading it through from the beginning is interesting. there is a pattern. Its easy to recognise the pattern because...ehem....been there myself, :o

You decide to reconnect with McDougalling, you take stock of the damage, and you decide this is an emergency! Then you do MWL very strictly, or Mary's Mini, and a month later its all too restrictive and off goes the wagon without you again. I used to do this a lot right back at the beginning before I got into my groove. I found I was heaps better just following basic Starch Solution. No it wasn't as quick as MWL, but frankly I like a bit of plant milk in my tea, and I hate having to start each meal with salad! I dont eat much bread because it is calorie dense but I make my own multi grain sourdough, and I reserve the right to have a piece every now and again. I found I focused on food WAY too much.

Yes, it took longer, but 10 years later ....so what? I have a way of eating I can live with, I can have the occasional treat, Joel Fruhmans oatmeal cookies being a favourite, and the weight is still off. Have I fallen off the wagon in these 10 years? yes of course, Christmas, birthdays...vegan chocolate cake! But simple SS is so easy and unrestrictive its so much easier to get back on the wagon again, its not like a diet. Its like life used to be before I got fat. If I had a blow-out (Christmas, say) I would simply eat less for the next few days...Now SS is the way I eat. After Christmas I might eat a bit less' meal' and a few more veggies. I might cook more soups, and not eat bread with them. But not restrictions beyond SS. And things settle.

If you were advising a young person re money, you would say, just pop $X into the investment account every payday...and dont bother looking at it. In 10 years you will be surprised! Same with SS. Just do it, dont worry about it, and in 10 years.....well, we will all be asking you how you did it!

Good luck and hang on in there. Dont over think it!
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby kirstykay » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:58 pm

Katie,
Thank you so much for your observations. I really appreciate your perspective. It's true...weight loss always feels like an emergency to me. I feel a panicked, desperate sense that if I don't get this weight off immediately, I something horrible will happen. Truth is, I've been at this way more than 10 years already and I often wonder what would have happened if I would have been able to go the slow and steady road a long time ago. But that panicked feeling always gets the best of me and I run off looking for a better, faster way. And, YES...it occupies most of my conscious thought. ALL. THE. TIME.

I will give a lot of thought and prayer to what you said. I really do appreciate you being honest and direct, and that you come from a perspective of personal experience. I am 54. I don't want to still be struggling with this 10 years from now. And, I DO want to still be around 10 years from now. I long to be free of this. Thanks for inspiring me to believe it's possible.

kirstykay

Postby kirstykay » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:08 pm

I'm re-reading the MWL book. It's been YEARS since I've read it and, frankly, I truly thought I knew everything. But, I am learning things I don't think I fully understood before. Either that or they are just making sense to me in a new way or I'm just in a different place than I was back then. Idk, but this feels transforming. I'll share more specifics later, but I'm really glad I picked this book up again.

kirstykay

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals