Katie's Food Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Katie's Food Journal

Postby K-Squared » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:59 am

Well, it is my husband's 32 birthday today! His cheesecake is baked and looking delicious, but I will just enjoy it from afar.

Breakfast
Steel Cut Oats
1 Tsp Brown Sugar
Strawberries/Banana

Lunch
Salad
Potatoes
Broccoli

Dinner
Lentil Loaf
Mashed Potatoes with White Bean Gravy
Asparagus

Snacks
Carrots
Cherries
Apple
K-Squared

Postby Ruff » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:41 pm

Happy Birthday to your Hubby.

And well done on your steely determination :D
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby K-Squared » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:17 pm

Happy Tuesday. Delivered half of the birthday cheesecake to our friend who watched our plants while we were in Florida. The boys still had slices tonight and, once again, I enjoyed my free smells! :lol: We went for a nice walk at a local open space followed by a trip to the pool.

Breakfast
Steel Cut Oats
1 Tsp Brown Sugar
Bananas/Strawberries

Lunch
Small Piece of Leftover Bean Loaf
Salad

Dinner
Summer Squash
Corn on the Cob
Sweet Potato

Snacks
Apple
Mango
Baby Carrots
K-Squared

Postby K-Squared » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:19 pm

Ruff wrote:Happy Birthday to your Hubby.

And well done on your steely determination :D

Katie,
Thanks! I did end up eating a bite of the cheesecake yesterday just to test the fruits of my labor. Thankfully, since beating my sugar addiction 4+ years ago, its easy to have just one bite!
K-Squared

Postby K-Squared » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:04 pm

I've got to say, I'm feeling a bit discouraged today. My home scale is obnoxiously different from my mom's in Florida. There, I was able to check daily and see small progress each day. My own scale, however, fluctuates ridiculously from morning to morning and I just don't know what to trust. Of course, I would prefer to believe in my mom's scale, but what if mine is right and I'm just flying all over the place? It makes me wonder if these changes I am implementing will truly make a difference or if I'm just going to remain overweight forever!! While I am following the 10-point checklist, I wonder now if I am eating too much or too often. :? I have seen the recommendations for weighing just once per week, and understand them, but have gotten into the habit of weighing myself twice per day... maybe its time to break that habit!

Breakfast
Steel Cut Oats
1 Tsp Brown Sugar
Bananas/Strawberries

Lunch
Roasted Potatoes
Salad
Cauliflower

Dinner
Chickpea/Rice/Cabbage Soup
Asparagus

Snacks
Roasted Potatoes
Carrots
Blueberries/Grapes
Cherries
K-Squared

Postby K-Squared » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:48 pm

While I'm still unhappy with my scale situation, I am feeling better today. Woke up with lots of energy and went for a run with my boys (Day 1 of Couch 2 5K). Years ago, when my son was born, I would run a 5K each day, pushing him along in the jogging stroller. Those days are gone, but I'm hopeful I can get it back, especially since I weigh 15 lbs less than when I used to run 'long' distances. Today, I'm working to be sure I follow the 10 point checklist just right in order to assure that I get the results I want!

Breakfast - Missing the Soup/Salad/Pre-Fruit
Oatmeal
1 Tsp Brown Sugar
Banana/Blueberries/Strawberries

Lunch
Carrots and Snap Peas
Mixed Veggies
Chickpea/Rice/Cabbage Soup (A super favorite)

Dinner
Carrots and Snap Peas
Mashed Potatoes with White Bean Gravy (I LOVE this meal sooo much)
Corn on the Cob
Summer Squash

Snacks
Grapes
Cherries

Exercise
Day 1 of C25K: 8 1-Minute Runs
90 Crunches
30 Squats (I can do more but want my legs to function tomorrow :lol: )
30 Assisted Push Ups
10 Lunges :lol:
K-Squared

Postby K-Squared » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:07 pm

Happy Friday! Went out with my son for another run today :-) Hoping he will be able to join me for the first couple weeks of C25K before it becomes too much for his little legs to handle!

Breakfast
Steel Cut Oats
1 Tsp Brown Sugar
Blueberries/Banana

Lunch
Salad
Broccoli
Roasted Potatoes

Dinner
Carrots and Snap Peas
'Queso' Bowl: Brown Rice, Pinto Beans, Kale, Tomato, Bean 'Queso'
Asparagus

Exercise
C25K Day 2 - 8 1 Minute Runs
60 Sit Ups
30 Assisted Push Ups
30 Squats

Snacks
Cantaloupe
Apple
Roasted Potatoes
K-Squared

Postby jan_npr » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:38 am

wow you are doing great with the exercise. I am trying to get back into that habit.
jan_npr

Postby K-Squared » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:49 am

jan_npr wrote:wow you are doing great with the exercise. I am trying to get back into that habit.

Thanks jan_npr! Today will make it just day 3, but two days ago I just felt like I had all this energy and a run actually sounded appealing. I made a playlist of favorite songs and took my son with me to run it off. It was definitely challenging, but I'm bolstered by the fact that I was once capable of running 3 miles straight!

I wish you luck incorporating more exercise into your day! :-)
K-Squared

Postby K-Squared » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:11 pm

Went for another run today! I'm finding that my legs are pretty sore from the running and squats.

Breakfast
Steel Cut Oats
1 Tsp Brown Sugar
Bananas/Strawberries

Lunch
Roasted Potatoes
Salad
Mixed Veggies

Dinner
Red Beans and Brown Rice
Summer Squash
Carrots/Snap Peas

Snacks
Cherries
Apple
Snap Peas
Roasted Potatoes

Exercise
C25K Day 3 - 8 1-Minute Runs
30 Squats
30 Assisted Pushups
90 Crunches
K-Squared

Postby K-Squared » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:21 pm

Finished the first 3 days of C25K yesterday, and took a break today from strict running. Still got a bit of running in playing soccer with my boys. Also, kept with the body weight exercises. I felt somewhat snacky this afternoon, so hopefully I didn't eat too much! Last night I skipped my 'bed time snack' and am hoping I have the self-control to do so tonight! While my bed-time snack now consists of a piece of fruit, I still feel like it is a habit worth breaking to achieve maximum weight loss.

Breakfast
Steel Cut Oats
1 Tsp Brown Sugar
Bananas/Peaches

Lunch
Mixed Veggies
Broccoli
Red Beans and Brown Rice

Dinner
Roasted Potatoes
Collards and Mushrooms

Snacks
Snap Peas
Carrots
Grapes
Cherries
Roasted Potatoes

Exerecise
60 Decline Sit-Ups
30 Incline Push-ups
20 Tricep Dips
20 Squats and 10 Box Jumps (Those are so hard!)
30 Minute-Walk
Soccer with My Boys!
K-Squared

Postby K-Squared » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:30 pm

Started Week 2 of C25K today - went well, aside from the fact that I may have gone a bit too soon after lunch. Tomorrow I think I will try and wake up early to accomplish my writing and run before the household wakes up... Of course, most days I plan to rise early and still manage to sleep in till 7:30. :roll: My weight is still a hot mess - I'm probably eating more than I should, even though I don't feel like I'm eating into the pain. I am considering trying some SNAP meals for next week for better calorie control, but feel like it could be difficult planning SNAP meals and meals for my family. MWL is easy for all to eat - my boys just consume more starches and less veggies!

Breakfast
Steel Cut Oats
1 Tsp Brown Sugar
Bananas/Peaches

Lunch
Salad with Bell Pepper, Red Onion, Cucumber, Cherry Tomatoes, and FF Dressing
Broccoli

Dinner
All You Can Eat Cabbage Soup
Cauliflower
Corn
Sweet Potato

Snacks
Roasted Potato
Cherries
Snap Peas
Peach

Exercise
Week 2 C25K 6 90-Second Runs
30 Squats
30 Assisted Push Ups
90 Crunches
K-Squared

Postby K-Squared » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:28 pm

Well, I woke up at 6am this morning, stayed away for 30 minutes, realized how much I hate being up early when I don't need to be, and went back to sleep. My husband and I are both teachers and expected back for (in-person!) school in the next 2 weeks, so I've decided to enjoy sleeping in while I can! It was a nice cloudy morning here in Colorado, which made for a cooler run. I'm glad to be progressing through the C25K program once more.
My scale-saga continues. Despite by avowals of shirking the scale, I continue to check each morning with all sorts of outrageous results. I suppose I will bite the bullet and buy a new one. Still, if my scale is correct and my weight is a hot mess, then I need to look at my diet and see what I'm doing wrong. I am trying to keep a positive mindset and focus on making appropriate modifications to the way I'm eating. My husband was kind enough to make me a batch of cabbage soup which I'm now eating before lunch and dinner. In addition, I'm going to try and actively limit my intake of starches, as I am becoming concerned that I might be eating too much. On the bright side, my face looked thin on my zoom conference yesterday!

Breakfast
Steel Cut Oats
1 Tsp Brown Sugar
Bananas/Peaches

Lunch
Cabbage Soup
Brown Rice
Chickpeas and Mixed-Veggies

Dinner
Cabbage Soup
Chana Masala with Brown Rice

Snacks
Apple
Cabbage Soup

Exercise
6 90-Second Runs
Long Walk
45 Squats
30 Assisted Push Ups
90 Crunches
Last edited by K-Squared on Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-Squared

Postby Ruff » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:32 pm

With Couch to 10km (or couch to 5km) there are a couple of nasty jumps. If you need to repeat a week, just do so and dont give up.

Hope this helps :D
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby K-Squared » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:39 am

Ruff wrote:With Couch to 10km (or couch to 5km) there are a couple of nasty jumps. If you need to repeat a week, just do so and dont give up.

Hope this helps :D

Hey Katie!
Thank you for the encouragement! Hoping I'll be able to handle the 3 minute runs coming at me next week. As I huff and puff through 90 second runs, I wonder how the heck I was ever able to run for 30 minutes straight! It's true what they say, 'If you don't use you it, you lose it!'
Have a great Wednesday!
Katie
K-Squared

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals