Sunny Food Log

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Sunny Food Log

Postby sunshine-oats » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:51 am

I thought I might just as well keep a food log here :)

15/01/21

Lunch: 1/2 grapefruit, 1/4 iceberg lettuce, 1 tomato, stalk of a cauliflower, 1 Tb flax seed, 2 tiny purple sweet potatoes with balsamic vinegar as dressing
Snack: 1 banana, 0 calorie stevia sweetened ice tea
Dinner: 1 tiny purple sweet potato, 1/3 head cauliflower & 1 carrot steamed, 1/2 lemon as dressing
Snack: 2 tomatoes, 1 apple (I ate the apple because I just bought the apples and I really wanted an apple.. even though I was not really hungry..)

too much fruit I suppose?
and the tea was a mistake..

In case somebody with better knowledge of the MWL reads this.. is 1 Tb of flax really not allowed on the program? Are SNAP recipes posted by JeffN not compliant? (there are some with tahini, flax and raisins.. in small amounts of course)

On a different note I am sure I am cooking these purple sweet potatoes wrong.. I steamed them in the pressure cooker together with some beets.. they got extremely dry and starchy after cooling.. and while being close to inedible they are extremely filling..
sunshine-oats

Re: Sunny Food Log

Postby sunshine-oats » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:09 am

16/01/21

Lunch: 1/2 Grapefruit, 1/4 head iceberg lettuce, beets, cherry tomatoes, purple sweet potato, a bit of flax seeds, balsamic vinegar
Dinner: 1 Banana, aloo gobi like stew/soup, a bit of nutritional yeast, 1/2 lemon
Snack: cherry tomatoes, 1 apple

had the apple quite late.. after 10 in the evening.. fasting blood sugars were 119 mg/dl this morning.. a bit higher than I would like them..

other than that.. did not get to my 10k step goal (only 6.5k) as the weather was not to my liking.. :thumbsdown:
sunshine-oats

Postby Ejeff » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:56 am

Hello. Yes if you are following MWL flax seed is not allowed as it is considered a higher fat food. As for Jeff’s snap meals, I haven’t seen any with tahini or raisins. The ones I’ve seen are starch, vegetables and beans. If your goal is to lose weight and follow the MWL plan then tahini is out as it is a higher fat food. Raisins are not allowed as they are too calorie dense since they are a dried fruit. A small amount of sugar is allowed to be sprinkled on food if required.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby sunshine-oats » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:48 am

Thank you Ejeff!
Well then I shall not have them anymore..
The recipes I am talking about is a PDF that is linked a few times but of course I cannot find at the moment.. the last two recipes in it.. one is a hummus with a bit of tahini the other an oatmeal with a bit of raisins.. plus another thread in this forum with his SNAP meals where when he was asked for breakfast ideals all of them seem to have a bit of flax on them :D

17/01/21
Lunch: 1/2 Grapefruit, 1/4 head iceberg lettuce, cherry tomatoes, beets, aloo matar, 1 banana
Dinner: 2 giant carrots, 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1 Banana

And the nonsense that followed.. cherry tomatoes, 2 giant carrots, 4 apples, big bowl of potatoes and green peas, 2 Tb almond butter..

Big mistakes.. I had thought I would not touch the almond butter.. but obviously I did, so that is being thrown out today..
as for the rest.. I used spoiled tomato paste for lunch and that sent me to the loo all afternoon.. the oats for dinner were probably not enough and that's why it went downhill..
In general I should probably stop using fruit as snacks.. or snack at all.. I think that is discouraged on the MWL plan.. I will steam myself I big pot of potatoes to eat instead of apples..

well... onward :ninja:
sunshine-oats

Postby JeffN » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:10 am

The PDF in question had several recipes and went along with a DVD. It was explained that only the first few recipes followed the template and were low in calorie density & MWL approved. The last 2 or 3 recipes included higher calorie dense foods (raisins, tahini) and not MWL approved and were explained as such. Sorry for any confusion.

In health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby sunshine-oats » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:39 am

That clears everything up! Thank you very much Jeff :)

18/01/21
Breakfast: 1 apple, 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 banana
Lunch: Red cabbage and carrot salad, spinach rice
Dinner: Mushrooms, spinach rice
Snack: 1 apple

exercise was not enough.. just 3.5 k steps.. I need to find alternatives for when it is raining and I cannot go out with the dog for too long..
sunshine-oats

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:09 am

I've found purple sweet potatoes to be quite dry, so I think your cooking method is just fine. I like to use a little bit of soy sauce on starches that are dry like that. It adds a little salt, and moisture.

Love your menus...looks so good and wholesome!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby sunshine-oats » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:36 am

Hello bunsofaluminum,
I am glad to hear that other people think the same about the purple sweet potatoes.. had the last one today.. still dry even though this one was baked.. I like the ones that are white inside and out the most.. they are like candy..
I am happy to hear you like the menus :) I am trying to stick to the rules about preloading and just 2 pieces of fruit but I am still struggling a bit..

19/01/21
Breakfast: 1 Grapefruit, red cabbage and carrot salad, spinach rice
Snack: 1 cucumber
Lunch: 1 apple, red cabbage and carrot salad, spinach rice, 1 cucumber
Dinner: beets in vinegar, roasted cauliflower, spinach rice

walked even less yesterday.. It was so cold.. only 2.5k steps I think.
I read in an ancient thread in the maximum weight loss part of the forum that beets and all root vegetables count as starches.. I sincerely hope that is not true.. I did not see that in the book. so many things I need to remember to ask on friday :?
sunshine-oats

Postby sunshine-oats » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:06 am

onwards with bumps in the road.. :|
20/01/21
Lunch: roasted cauliflower, 1 purple sweet potato
Snack: vegan lemon cookies :\
Dinner: 2 cucumbers, 1 sweet potato, 1 apple

I should learn to say no when people gift me cookies.. but.. well I did not do that yesterday..
In better news.. I got my 10k steps in :nod:
sunshine-oats

Postby sunshine-oats » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:39 am

21/01/21
Breakfast/Snack: 1 banana
Lunch: steamed cauliflower, 2 small sweet potatoes, a bit of lemon juice
Snack: 1 apple
Dinner: steamed carrots, 2 small sweet potatoes
Snack: 2 apples

almost 14k steps... :unibrow:
Too much fruit again.. but no more apples in the house so they won't be a problem anymore..
I need to go shopping today as I am out of salad ingredients.. and all other vegetables as well.. besides a leek and a fennel bulb..

aaannd.. 1.3 kg down this week.. I am at 100.2 kg :D soon I shall be under 100 :ninja:
sunshine-oats

Postby sunshine-oats » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:45 am

22/01/21
Snack: 1 banana
Lunch: sauteed leeks with onion and fennel bulb, sweet potato
Dinner: 1 grapefruit, cauliflower, 2 sweet potatoes
Snack: 1/2 cup pinto beans

I got my steps in :D

Those were the last of my sweet potatoes.. glad I tried them baked for the first time..

Now those beans at night.. I just wanted to try them, because they had just finished cooking.. they are dangerously good.. I made the chorizo spiced pinto beans from the Krocks in the Kitchen blog.. :drool:
sunshine-oats

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals