Nancy's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Nancy's Journal

Postby Nancy Lou » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:21 am

August 26, 2021
Weight: 139.4 -- seem to be holding steady here. A bit bloated today

Meals yesterday were
oat/barley cereal
Banana

Brown rice
Black beans
onion/bell pepper mix
corn

orange segments

hummus *NC
flatbread *NC

Had a couple noncompliant items (added oil) But otherwise I am happy with my choices - too be honest I am not feeling too guilty about the *NC choices because it kept me from eating the sweetened junk.

The two youngest grandchildren come today - I am looking forward to school starting so we do not have them here as much - it is only because I am so far behind in my outside work. I have so many projects started but not completed. Hubby is no help with me getting things done because he interrupts what I am doing so I can do his whatever he wants to get done. He went up north for a funeral of a family friend - I am totally amazed at how much he can do for himself when I am not around. It is frustrating. But then he is a "drama queen" or "king" and I think I play into it because I chose to pick my battles and let him get away with it. So, my bad and I really ought not be complaining too much then.

My sister bought a tent and said maybe they should go camping - I suggested a nearby state park and said if they go, I'd get a spot next to them and join them. Well, see what happens with that.

Not sure what my meal plan is for today, so far I am only focusing on getting some of the clutter cleaned up. That is a never ending chore. That puppy (almost a year old now) Germain Shepherd/lab mix is worse than a toddler in making a mess around the house. She finds things she is not supposed to have (and where she gets these things is beyond my knowledge) and chews them. So far: brand new pair of $150,00 shoes, toilet brushes, grandson's Godzilla toy, my aqua clip (water bottle holder - I misplaced it and was looking for it for weeks: found it when I heard her crunching on something, and the list goes on and on. Plus she is always in the garbage can pulling out her "treasures".
Nancy

Nancy Lou

Postby Nancy Lou » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:06 pm

August 30, 2021
Weight - no official but I think it is up a bit due to stress. Amazing what stress does to a body. We had a contractor come to do some work and he brought his 5 year old daughter and niece along. Since I had 2 of our grandchildren, the youngest had two playmates. But to keep the guy focused on the work we were paying him to do, I ended up entertaining the two extra children. They were good kids and everyone got along so all in all it worked out okay. But, oh my, was that a long day! For the contractor too, but he got done what he planned to do. So win win. But I am tired! Plus, I did not have the opportunity to do what I wanted to get done. Now those chores are waiting patiently for me to get them done. :nod:

Meals have been a bit off plan. I still have not got the grandchildren used to whole food plant based. I supplemented the meals with watermelon. It is hard with hubby not on board also -- two different meal plans going on.

I am obsessed with those extreme budget meal plans - Some day I want to do it and see how many days $10.00 worth of groceries will last me - I have a huge appetite.

Well, got to cut this short, things to do and places to go ....
Nancy

Nancy Lou

Postby Nancy Lou » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:20 am

Sept 2, 2021
weight - 139.4 different scale but at least I am holding.

Made some rice and beans -- enough for 4 meals
Ate a bag of lettuce and sweet kale mix.

Those are my compliant meals -- I am a stress eater and have been making bad choices. Got tired of it all and so I went for my "woods therapy". I took a 3 mile walk at the state park. I was really enjoying it until I saw the road closed signs --- OOPS! Bear opener and this park has hunting. Called my daughter and told her where i was, just in case. No worries only saw squirrels.

I did an experiment and boiled and mashed some potatoes. Then I put them in the dehydrator to make some potato flakes. When I checked them this morning - I exclaimed, "OH, look I can make potato chips this way." They were a bit too hard for that this time so I blended them up to use as instant. I'll let you know how that turns out.

I've had 2 days of solo time -- so nice.
Nancy

Nancy Lou

Postby Nancy Lou » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:47 pm

Sept. 15, 2021
weight = ? haven't hopped on the scale

I am basically checking in just to keep my journal active. I am struggling to get on and stay on plan. Sometime ago I went camping with D1 and 3 of the 4 grandchildren and I have been struggling to get out of that downward spiral. D1 brought some oreo cookies, man I love those cookies - not the filling just the cookie part. I found myself in the cookie aisle looking for those "thins". On the positive I did not eat the whole bag in one sitting.

To combat, I found a cookbook that had soup recipes - I made a creamy broccoli soup - main ingredients were onion, broccoli and potato. That was good. I added some nutritional yeast to give it more of a cheezy broccoli soup.

Rice and beans - I added some Salsa Lizano, this gives the dish a whole new flavor profile

Ramen noodles - no packet - added some curry powder and soy sauce with a lot of vegetables.

Went to a Mexican Restaurant and orders a fajita quesadilla - minus the dairy - it came with a lettuce salad.

Went to Buffet style restaurant with GD1 - filled up my plate with salad items. Ordered lunch sandwich (hubby wanted to take that home) it came with a baked potato which I topped with salsa and some black olives.

I am still obsessing with those extreme budget meals and I am wondering if I will ever do it as a challenge to myself. I really don't know if I have the discipline to actually do it.

I am thinking I would buy:
1 pound brown rice
onion
carrots
celery
black/pinto beans
mixed vegetables of some sort
oats
banana
apple

That is for starters - I think that would be close to $10.00 -give or take some. I think I could eat that all in about 3 days and have to fast the rest of the week :-( That is a difficult challenge - stresses me out just thinking of doing it. Reminds me of the days when I had $30.00 left over after paying the bills to feed me and our 2 daughters for the month. It was supplemented with WIC and SNAP. Maybe that is why I am having difficulty doing this challenge; it is bringing back memories of hard times.

I am working on figuring out how many servings I can get with those items and what meals I could make:
Rice and beans with diced onion, carrot and celery
A rice soup with vegetables.
Oats with apple/banana.
Apple Rice Breakfast

But then, I am going, "Oh, if I had this item or that item... To be honest, I don't know why I am obsessing over doing this. But, did I ever mention, I did this challenge for my sister and her family? - $10.00 per person (total $40.00) I bought the groceries and even gave her the recipes for the meals. So, why can I not do this for me!?
Nancy

Nancy Lou

Postby Nancy Lou » Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:58 pm

Sept 17, 2021
Weight - did not weigh, but I think I am up a bit because I had a couple bad eating days. :oops:

Well, since I made my list, I did a bulk cooking session with some of those ingredients:
3 cups brown rice - made in the Instant Pot
1 large onion
2 carrots
3 celery
1 green pepper
1 small head of garlic - from our garden

my meals yesterday were:
Great Northern Bean soup, Used a portion of Those Veggies and added potatoes
bread

Rice "Cereal" - Non dairy milk, cinnamon and craisins

Today:
Coffee
fruit bar :oops:

left over Great northern Bean Soup Added rice to this
Bread :oops:

Fried Rice With Vegetables (onion peas and corn) :nod:

My meals were not with all the ingredients on my planned, but at least I got started with my budget challenge. Hubby is participating halfway. But, overall, I feel like I am getting back on track, maybe not all there yet, but at least I am moving forward.

That Great Northern Bean soup was so good that I am thinking I may make another batch again. And I cannot believe how much rice those 3 cups made and I have plenty for the soup and possibly another meal. But it is nice to have it ready to just heat up and throw in a dish.

The best thing about having the food already cooked was we were in town doing errands and hubby was hungry>He kept hinting he wanted a bite to eat and I just replied, I already had some food cooked and was planning on making fried rice -- He waited til we got home -- I think that saved him about 400 calories on getting something to tied him over. For me, I did my Beck Diet Solution and told myself hunger is not an emergency and I can wait until I get home.
Nancy

Nancy Lou

Postby Nancy Lou » Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:50 pm

Sept 21, 2021
weight - ?? Trying not obsess over it -- you may notice this happens when I think I gained. Reality is that I think I am holding steady give or take a couple of tenths. So, all is good.

Today, we had the grandchildren for overnight (parents working so we let them sleep here). This meant an early morning and hubby had a doctor appointment so I really did not have time to do any chores. But, I made time to hop on the treadmill. One hour workout using the Just Run App the 5k one and I did week one days 1 and 2. Each workout is about 30 minutes. It felt so good to get back to exercising again.

The other day when I was hiking with my daughter and grandchildren the youngest was running on the path and suggested I get my run in for the day. I think that is what motivated me to get off my butt and start moving again. I hope my motivation stays with me and I actually get to that last workout because it felt so good to get 'er done.

We just finished the meals I had prepped. I really like having something all ready because it makes it so much easier for me to say that I do not want to eat out when we are doing our shopping. It is difficult because hubby likes to eat in restaurants. I wish i could get back my determination to stay on plan and be more selective in what I do eat when we do eat out. I am thinking If I can drop at least 5 pounds it will be easier for me to stick with the plan.

The apples on our tree are ready to be picked so I am seeing that Breakfast Apple Rice on my menu plan. Recently, I had about 6 apples that were starting to go bad so I peeled them, diced then then pulled out my sandwich maker; and made something like apple turnovers using bread. Grandson 2 (GS2) loved it. I dehydrated the leftovers. I think the next time, I will make it like a fruit leather (is that what you call it?) Like a fruit roll-up. Grandson 1 took a couple bags of apples home with him.

I learned a trick for peeling garlic cloves: trim the ends and then put in a jar, cover and shake and the skin comes right off. I tried this several times and can say that it does work. Let me know if you try it and if it works for you.
Nancy

Nancy Lou

Postby Nancy Lou » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:19 am

Sept. 22, 2021
weight - did not bother hopping on because I forgot to do when I first got up.

Started my day with:
coffee

1/2 hour workout -- 30 Day Shred Level 1 -- boy, oh boy, am I out of shape -- did not make it through some of the intervals without have to stop --

Brussel Sprouts
Boiled Potatoes

Now, I am going to go outside and get some yard work done. I want to get one section of the yard mowed so I can set up my newest tent so I can see if condensation will build up. Still have to get my dog to spend the night in the tent with me -- she is such a scaredy cat for the big dog that she is. Every little noise she hears she wants to run back into the house.

For lunch:
salad romaine hearts
onion
beets
shredded carrot
garbanzo beans

"Creamy" Broccoli soup - I will make it creamy by using potato

Not sure if that will fill me up so I may end up having some bread (I found some no oil pita) with it or corn tortilla
Nancy

Nancy Lou

Postby Nancy Lou » Thu Sep 23, 2021 5:38 pm

Sept 23, 2021
Weight - forgot to hop on the scale -- can be a good thing or bad.

Yesterday, at the last minute I made a creamy carrot curry soup instead of the broccoli one. I did not follow the recipe, added an extra potato, apple, black cumin seed etc. I finished it tonight for supper, along with a salad (romaine), boiled potatoes, corn and peas.

My taste buds are adjusting again to just the food and no sauce. I added some garlic powder when boiling the potatoes - yum!

My exercise today was mow the grass on the hill, only got about 1/3 of finished before my mower died --- I abuse my mowers so bad. At least yesterday, I got one of my trails in the woods mowed. I am slowly getting my yard work done, but fall will be here before I know it so I better put those things that need to get done on the priority list.

Oh, my body is just starting to scream at me for the 30 day shred workout I did yesterday. I am so out of shape. Years ago, lots of years ago, I used to do Level 1 as a warmup for an hour run. Oh, I wish I could have those days again. But the mowing the hill was a workout, but I did do some squats, lunges, crunches and pushups.
Nancy

Nancy Lou

Postby Nancy Lou » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:31 pm

Sept 24,2021
Weight - 139.6 Not sure if I should count this Because I weighed myself after my treadmill workout.

I started my morning with coffee, but then grabbed some biscotti without thinking.
Had some Cheerios and a banana topped with nondairy milk

did 2 workouts of the just run app-- walk/run 58 minutes Total run time was a total of 17 minutes and I managed to do 3.96 miles. Reminded me of the time when I was about 8 years old and I had to walk to and from school, which was about 1 mile away and I tried to do in 15 minutes. Here it is 55 years later and I am still trying to do a 15 minute mile --- :lol:

We had to do some errands in town- hubby want to go to the chocolate store - Fortunately for me she did not have my favorite so I did not buy anything. I love dark chocolate covered orange peel. Then we went to Costco - the Drumstick ice cream cones were marked down -- tempted, but I said, "NO! I won't buy because I will eat the whole box" (speaking from experience). It felt good to just walk away.

When we returned home, I was going to make a soup from the Soup's Alive book, but saw my leftovers from yesterday (diced potatoes, corn and peas) So, instead I added an onion to that, fried it, add a Chipotle Bean burger (I found in the freezer). Load a bowl with lettuce, topped it with the potato mixture and bean burger, Brussel Sprouts and carrots.

I don't want to jinx this, but I feel like I am on a good start to getting back on track -- not there 100% and I am thinking if I really want to lose some of the weight I gained this past year, I may have to eat more less calorie dense foods - I am seeing that I am leaning toward starchy vegetables. I am sure I'll get the hang of it soon
Nancy

Nancy Lou

Postby Nancy Lou » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:19 am

October 3, 2021
weight -? I have been overwhelmed with emotionally things happening with family members that I seem to be putting things I need to do for me on the back burner, stepping on the scale seems so insignificant to me at the moment.

My eating is not too bad except for my morning coffee - I started having those fruit bars with my coffee and began to enjoy them a bit too much. I know better.

My meals other than coffee
lentil soup - onion, carrot, celery, green pepper, tomato, kale, potato and Lentils. I made a huge batch and that is what I am eating for at least one of my meals. Last night I had a salad with it on the side and included beet and shredded carrot on it.

I found an old pair of jeans and was able to get into them comfortable, I think this pair is what I call my 140 pound pair of jeans, meaning that was my weight when I first bought them. So, considering what my weight has been the past few weigh-inns, I would day that I am holding steady. Aches and pains are a bit less --

Oh, my granddaughter GD!- has just been accepted into the nursing school program -- so proud of her.
Nancy

Nancy Lou

Postby Nancy Lou » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:52 pm

Oct 21, 2021
weight --??

Just checking in -- not 100% there but working on it
Today I made a huge batch of minestrone type soup : onion, carrot, celery, garlic, tomatoes, potatoes, shell noodles, broth + spices
yum! should last us 3 -4 days
Nancy

Nancy Lou

Postby Nancy Lou » Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:54 pm

Nov 12, 2021
weight - holding steady

made some Curried Butternut Squash Soup

Today I had some butternut squash, black beans, apple

I have been working on not eating between meals and focusing on identifying if I am truly hunger or just wanting to eat for the sake of eating.

Still not quite 100% starch solution but working on it
Nancy

Nancy Lou

Postby squealcat » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:58 pm

That's my mission too. Waiting for hunger , eating until satiety . Sometimes hard, sometimes easy. Trying to make it regular practice.

I love squash soup ! I have some in the freezer. Just made pea soup....also a favorite of mine.

Best of luck Nancy !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Nancy Lou » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:51 pm

Dec 17, 2021
Weight - 142.2 holding steady these past few weeks

Just checking in -- I am struggling getting with the program. Lots of family drama and the stress to go with it. I am having a hard time emotionally and thinking about what to eat and what not to eat when no one else is wanting to eat this way is hard.

BUT, I am at least doing 1 meal with the starch solution - today I made a mixed grain side dish: rice, quinoa and red lentils and topped it with a veggie butternut squash chili. GS2 enjoyed it and asked it I could send the recipe home to his mom when he goes home.

Hope you all are staying well - stay strong and keep on starchin"
Nancy

Nancy Lou

Postby Nancy Lou » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:59 pm

Dec 31, 2021
Weight: 142.0

Well, I think I may be back now. I am tired of making excuses. Tomorrow is the new year and for the last 6 weeks, I was in a challenge with family members. 6 weeks and I only lost 1 pound; but I was not really dedicated to losing. I just wanted to get back to healthy choices.

We are all starting round 2 today. And ON Jan 3, I am joining Joey, from Plant Based Dads on facebook for his 21 day Starch Solution Challenge. I am hoping that will motivate me to get with the plan and stick with it. I did it a while back and it helped me stay focused.

It is holiday break from school and I have been watching the grandchildren (3 of the 4).I did not really want to do it, but they are at that age where there are only a couple more years before they won't want to spend time with grandma and grandpa. So, we decided to take advantage of the time with them while we can.

We had a lot of snow and I was able to get out there on the sliding hill and get a path going down the hill. The is enough snow that I want to make a quinzee (snow hut) but the weather is too cold to be outside for any length of time. So, that will have to wait til it warms up a bit.

Hubby gave me a hammock for my holiday gift. Not sure I thought about hammock camping but with a mosquito netting and tarp, I can think of a couple of campsites to use it.

For dinner tonight I made some butternut squash soup, Corn bread, brown rice, and broccoli, cauliflower and carrot blend veggies.

Well, I am hoping to posting more frequently so I will hold myself accountable.
Nancy

Nancy Lou

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals