Finally ready to conquer for good!

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Finally ready to conquer for good!

Postby Health 1st » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:33 pm

JeffN wrote:
Health 1st wrote:That's a very good thing to know about Jeff saying there still are nutrients in iceberg lettuce. I'll have to look that up.

https://jeffnovick.com/RD/Articles/Entr ... nsity.html

In Health
Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks so much for your link! I doubt I ever would have found it on my own. :-)

While I never heard of iceberg lettuce being a junk food + always knew it had to better than a candy bar, French fries, or macaroni + cheese, I had no idea that it was fairly comparable to Romaine, + at times even superior!

I will no longer look at iceberg lettuce with a sly eye, but instead give it the praise it's due + confidently enjoy eating it. Thank you!
Health 1st

Postby Health 1st » Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:12 pm

Howdy, Folks!

Just thought I'd post quickly. I'm alive + well + continuing to do very well with my eating, thank God! It's been over 3 weeks now + I haven't looked back. :-D I'll update again as soon as I can, just have been busy + tired. Hoping everyone is having a fantastic week thus far.
Health 1st

Postby Health 1st » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:04 pm

Happy Wednesday! :)

This'll be short because things are busy, but I just thought I'd share what I had for lunch yesterday that I'm still thinking about because it was just so tasty + satisfying! :-D

I had about 1/3 left from a 1# bag of red lentils. Quickly rinsed them with water in a colander, dumped them in the IP with water, garlic powder, + a McCormick salt-free seasoning. Cooked on Pressure Cook for 12 minutes, let steam release naturally.

Took pot out of IP to start to let cool. Cut up tomatoes, baby carrots, red onions, lots of leaves of red leaf lettuce. Added all the veggies to the pot, stirred + enjoyed! Called it a soup salad because it was still warm but didn't wilt any of the veggies. Served 2.
Health 1st

Postby Health 1st » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:48 pm

Hi there, I've been thinking it would be nice to have basically all my posts in 1 spot, so what better place than in my journal? This way in case I don't always update during the week, at least all posts directly relating to my journey will be in 1 place + easy to find.

So the below was my MWL entry from 7/2/21. Little did I know then that I'd have a terrible "start" + go completely off-plan, but then finally recommit 7/13/21.

by Health 1st » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:35 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: -6

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: The 1st day was great, but by the 2nd, I had something small that was a higher fat WFPB item that I don't even remember now...probably a few dry roasted peanuts. Anyway, try as I might, that started eating away (no pun intended) on my mind. I have batteled an all or nothing mentality for far too long and really want and need to get out of it because instead of being great with my eating 99-100% of the time, I end up being great 5-15%. So unfortunately I dealt with that this week. Yes, I lost 6 pounds, but I actually lost more, gained some and lost again to settle on 6 pounds in 6 days. But what my main concern is is putting health 1st and that includes my mind. If/when a dish has a couple peanuts or little avocado, I don't want it throwing me off. I appreciate, in advance, your bearing with me on my rocky journey of eating. I'm kind of seeing this week as a "soft start" or an easing into the full-blown program. I still did a LOT better than I have for months...so small victories did at least occur.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Still haven't mastered this one.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Did pretty good with the 50/50 plate or bowl. Had fruit for snacks...fresh peaches are very yummy right now!
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Didn't add any sugar or salt and am reappreciating the wonderful inherent flavors of plain, natural foods! But did still co some some processed foods that have sweeteners and salt. :cry:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Still had some dairy. :-(
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Had something WFPB the 2nd day but don't even remember what it was and yet it led to my derailment.
6. Eliminate any added oil. No added oils while cooking but had items a few times that had oil.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Did have a very healthy sandwich made on Ezekiel Bread for 1 lunch. Had 1 bag of non-compliant (oil/butter) popcorn.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). No problem here...finally a full victory! :-)
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Actually succeeded on this one, too, just have to consistently have better food choices for ALL times I put food in my mouth.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Walked 30 minutes+ for 6 days. Hope to get more brisk as body feels better--aches + pains.
Health 1st

Postby Health 1st » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:56 pm

Postby Health 1st » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:13 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: -8

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.----Did pretty good with this one, but could use improvement.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.----Doing very good with this one!

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.----100% compliance.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).----100% compliance.

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).----100% compliance.

6. Eliminate any added oil.----100% compliance.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.----Did good except for having rice cakes 1 time this week + Ezekiel bread 2 times this week.

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).----100% compliance.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.----100% compliance. Actually there were several times early in the week I did not eat enough because it was too painful to make food.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).----0% compliance due to injury + pain.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I've had 10 full days of being on + have not missed the old, damaging "foods" at all, thank God! But I do believe my being in such pain has helped me to have a rock solid start, as I have been out of the stores except for 1 quick stop to get produce. I am very grateful for this excellent start, + I am blown away with the amount of weight lost. I literally checked 2 times to make sure. :eek: One good thing with the pain/injury, I have been forced to rest...a lot. Usually I'm one who runs on fumes with only about 4-5 hours of sleep. So I'm sure the rest has helped my body lose...for now.

Question: For #1, can it be 30 to 60 minutes before #2? I did this sometimes and used #1 as a snack before my 50/50 plate meal. The snack definitely took the edge off of my hunger + I ate less when it came to my meal.

I don't feel guilty for the weight lost, but I certainly do not want anyone to think I'm flaunting it. Please keep in mind that I only just started + I have a lot to lose. I know the losing will slow down, stop, + sometimes even go up a tad in the future--the ebb + flow of weight.
Health 1st

Postby Health 1st » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:01 pm

Post by Health 1st » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:38 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: -4.2

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.----Did most of the time.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.----Usually do all the time.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.----100% compliant

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).----100% compliant

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).----Did have 3 slices of Ezekiel bread that had sesame seeds in/around the edges, otherwise 100% compliant.

6. Eliminate any added oil.----100% compliant

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.----100% compliant except for having Ezekiel bread 2 different times. The 1 time the bread had sesame seeds in/around the edges.

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).----100% compliant

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.----100% compliant.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).----0% compliant due to injury healing. Am slowly improving, though, + have been able to walk a little further in daily activities. Looking forward to regular walks like I did before even started MWL; I really miss them.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: My only real hiccup is this nasty sprained ankle + subsequent problems (pain + lack of normal use) on my entire left side with my muscles from my foot through my leg, buttock, hip + mid-way through my back. I can stand for a little longer than last week, but have to keep sitting on a short stool. I know that once I can move freely + also can lift heavier things (anything above a couple pounds) without causing pain, I will be able to make more food + not reach for the bread as a quicker/less painful-to-prepare option. Otherwise things are going really well! :) Thank you, Mark, Jeff, and all my fellow MWLers---wishing you a successful week. :nod:
Health 1st

Postby Health 1st » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:12 pm

Okay, here's my most recent post from the MWL Weekly Weigh-In from this past Friday. Hope I didn't do anything wrong by re-posting my entries here, but I know that re-gaining my health + getting down to an ideal weight is going to be a fairly long journey. Seeing it all delineated here will be very helpful for me + I hope others, as well. :)

Post by Health 1st » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:53 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: -3.8

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.----I did pretty good, but not as good as last week.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.----I do this (50/50) for just about every meal. Since I started 7/13, I have not had any fruit for dessert except for 1 time this week as the dessert for my dad's birthday: organic red grapes.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.----100% compliant

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).----100% compliant

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).----100% compliant except for on my dad's birthday I had 4 slices of vegan, no oil added "ham" = 1 serving. It was primarily made from vital wheat gluten, so at least it was low fat or no fat since there supposedly was no added oil per the label.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.---Did fine except for 1+1/2 rice cakes when was away from home + was "starving" + had 2 slices of no oil, NSA whole wheat bread on the outside of the 4 slices of "ham" to make a sandwich.

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).----100% compliant

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.----One time over-ate. Strange but true, I was laying on the sofa on my side to alleviate the pain in my leg/hip + was eating a bowl of sweet corn (1 meal not 50/50.). Didn't realize until I was vertical just how over full I was! Yuk! I learned valuable lessons: 1-- to start with less + 2--just how filling starch is, which is a wonderful thing, a big blessing! :-D

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).----Still haven't been able to actually exercise, but I finally did some more movement because I just had to get some things done. On the right trajectory with healing, thank God, + hopeful it'll continue. One day I overdid it, though, + paid for it the next day because the pain was worse.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
--Due to continued pain, I still found it hard to do regular food prep. With that I'll be able to do #1 a lot more easily. I finally was able to use the Instant Pot Mini (3qt.). It is so much easier to handle--carrying the inner pot with food + to hand wash (I'm the dishwasher--lol!) than if I tried to cook on the stove or use the 6qt. IP.

--I know I went off MWL with the 1 "ham" sandwich, but I feel good that it did not derail me in any way. I did have some very valid concerns that having this "treat" could cause me problems, but the "ham" not having any oil really helped my mindset. I consider this a real victory! :nod:
Health 1st

Postby Health 1st » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:33 pm

Yes, so just to piggy-back (maybe not the best phrase to use for vegans :lol: ) on what I just said about in my posts, having my weekly weigh-ins all in my journal will hopefully help to see patterns, etc..

Well, today I officially have 4 weeks in--wow! I must say, eating-wise it has actually been very easy. I have a long history with McDougalling, being vegan/vegetarian, etc., so that history no doubt has helped me a lot! Also, I was ready. Obviously by my posts above, I had to recommit, but I have been thinking about + planning on starting (+ continuing!) for months/years--had some decent starts + even multi-month compliant stints over the last several years, but always fell off the wagon, :cry: something I desperately need + want to change!

Then, the tremendous pain + lack of mobility was also a factor because not only did it keep me out of the stores where temptations may abound, but the pain took my concentration off of all the garbage I normally would be "missing".

And finally, I do not mean to be preachy, but I cannot close this post without giving glory to God for His incredible grace in leading me to this way of eating decades ago and for allowing me to be here today without a heart attack or stroke, because the Lord knows, I easily could have not been here because I was a walking time bomb.

So today I weighed in at 272.4--a 29.6 pound loss in 4 weeks. Never did I think that could happen, especially without exercise + being in my mid-40's, but I am living proof that, as Dr. McDougall always wisely says: "It's the food!"!!!!

Many, many thanks to Dr., Mary, Jeff, Mark, + everyone else I've missed. Your dedication to helping spread this health message is beyond admirable. I am forever grateful!! :)
Health 1st

Postby deweyswakms » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:03 am

Wow! look how much weight you have lost. Bravo. Lather, rinse, repeat.

One of your earlier posts mentioned how hard you push yourself. I sure get that. I spent literally decades pushing myself (single mom, very demanding job etc); stressed not enough sleep, pushed my poor body into herniated disc, surgery etc. I am a slow learner because it took me all that abuse to finally understand the importance of slowing down, rest, sleep. Vital for health. Sorry for the pain you are in now, but 'silver lining'?

Keep going! Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby Health 1st » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:20 am

This week's weigh-in (8/13/21):

by Health 1st » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:17 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: -5

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.----Definitely have not mastered this one, though believe will do better in coming weeks as can do more shopping + food prep.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.----Doing great with the 50/50 plate/bowl.

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).----100% compliant

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.---Did fine except I did have 1 previously homemade seitan Italian "Sausage" in an Ezekiel bread bun as part of a different birthday celebration for my Dad (last 1 for this year). Since I made the "Sausage" I know there was no added fat and minimal salt. Also had 2 rice cakes as a snack 1 time when I had a skipped breakfast + very late lunch.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.----As mentioned for #7, 1 day I had such a hectic morning, wasn't hungry, it was very hot, so I didn't eat until a late lunch. Hunger-wise I could have eaten a couple hours sooner. That day I only had 2 meals + a snack (the aforementioned 2 rice cakes).

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).----I've been able to do more household activities + be on my feet longer, so this is the most active I've been since I started. But I still haven't been able to actually exercise yet due to pain. Standing is still the hardest thing for me to do.

----Sounds like a wonderful vacation, Mark! Hope you + your family have a great time!! Wildgoose, thank you for not only taking care of the weigh-ins this week, but your lengthy response to Noella--helpful to us all!!

----I know that the Italian "Sausage" wasn't MWL compliant, or the 2 rice cakes. I am not trying to justify my deviating from the MWL protocol at all. But I am acknowledging that, since MWL is about behavior, my behaviors are changing for the good because these off-plan items were super controlled (didn't have 2 or 3 "sausages" + it was for a celebration rather than no reason), + it didn't cause me to de-rail (SO important for me!!). My reason for having the rice cakes was not to have a cheat, but because I was legitimately hungry. This is where being able to do more food prep will help me a lot because then I could have rather had a potato, etc..

----I am shocked (but very grateful!) that I lost 5 pounds this week! I did have a scant less oatmeal each day this week because l was realizing I didn't need as much as previous weeks. I also ate a lot of homegrown tomatoes + cooked zucchini from a friend's garden, so I'm sure that helped with the loss (gain in health! :-D ), too.

----I started exactly 1 month ago today + couldn't be happier with how I'm feeling + looking! And I know I'd feel even better if it weren't from recuperating + still having a lot of pain + muscle tightness. I look forward to my b/p continuing to go lower, but am very pleased with the reductions I've already had, + that I've had no angina for a couple weeks or any other symptoms of impending doom that easily could have led to a heart attack, stroke, +/or death--what a burden lifted!!! Finally, my total loss for this 1 month is 31.9 pounds--unbelievable!!! But as I mentioned earlier this week in my journal, it's all due to what Dr. McDougall so wisely says, "It's the food!"!!! I can't thank Dr. McDougall, Mary, Heather, Jeff, Mark, wildgoose, + everyone else for doing so much to spread this wonderful, positive life-changing health message + for helping us so much!!! Much gratitude + love! :nod:

---This completes my novel. :lol:
Health 1st

Postby Health 1st » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:22 am

Marsha, thank you! Short on time now...will reply more soon...happy Saturday! :)
Health 1st

Postby deweyswakms » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:18 pm

Health 1st wrote:Finally, my total loss for this 1 month is 31.9 pounds--unbelievable!!!

Well, BRAVO!! Imagine another 30 days! A friend of mine once said, 'out of a rut and into a groove.'

Keep going, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Postby Health 1st » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:26 pm

deweyswakms wrote:Wow! look how much weight you have lost. Bravo. Lather, rinse, repeat.

One of your earlier posts mentioned how hard you push yourself. I sure get that. I spent literally decades pushing myself (single mom, very demanding job etc); stressed not enough sleep, pushed my poor body into herniated disc, surgery etc. I am a slow learner because it took me all that abuse to finally understand the importance of slowing down, rest, sleep. Vital for health. Sorry for the pain you are in now, but 'silver lining'?

Keep going! Marsha

Hi, Marsha!

Boy, the irony. I've been too busy to get on here to post...so yes, I completely agree with you about the "silver lining", but I've still been stretched too thin...well maybe that's not the best choice of words because I'm still in my 270's--lol--so obviously meant to be taken figuratively rather than literally. :-D

But seriously, I hear you, and I am so sorry to learn of your herniated disk, surgery, etc.. :cry: Is all your pain gone from that?

We all are slow learners from time to time. But in your circumstances, you had to do what you had to do to provide for your family. So, sometimes we know what we should do but it's hard to do it because of responsibilities.

I have slowly been learning, too, and I agree that this pain and (hopefully) temporary "disability" are blessings in disguise because I've been forced to slow down and get more rest. And, even though it bugs me to not keep up with you and others on the forums and in my journal, I'm trying to listen to my body more and not push it so hard...hence my gross delay in replying and posting.

Thank you for your wise words, congratulations, and the time you took to share! :) Lol--lather, rinse, repeat: I love it! :thumbsup:
Health 1st

Postby Health 1st » Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:31 pm

deweyswakms wrote:
Health 1st wrote:Finally, my total loss for this 1 month is 31.9 pounds--unbelievable!!!

Well, BRAVO!! Imagine another 30 days! A friend of mine once said, 'out of a rut and into a groove.'

Keep going, Marsha

Thanks so much, Marsha! Very wise words from your friend, too...yes, I'm in the groove, even when I wasn't able to be 100% MWL this week which I think I'll share until tomorrow in my weigh-in since yeah, you guessed it, short on time now. :?

Thank you, again!! :nod: And please forgive my delay in replying?
Health 1st

Postby Health 1st » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:42 pm

Happy Saturday! :)

I'm really hoping to get back to making entries at least 1-2 times during the week, but it's just been hard to do lately. So for now, here is my entry from the August MWL Weigh-in Forum:

by Health 1st » Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:33 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: -4.7 (270.10 to 265.40)

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.----Unfortunately, no. Again, I anticipate doing better with #1 once pain has subsided more + can do more shopping + prep.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.----Yes, 50/50 for almost every meal.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.----Yes.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).----Yes.

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).----Had 1 serving of Trader Joe's Everything but the Bagel seasoning (has seeds and salt) 2 different days.

6. Eliminate any added oil.----Yes.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.----I'll explain below why, but I had a total of 3 slices of whole wheat, no salt or oil added bread, half a box of wheat crackers from Whole Foods (only wheat + salt, but waaay too much salt!), + half a package of corn cakes (corn, sesame seeds, + salt). Otherwise good.

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).----Yes, did not have.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.----Pretty much. There were a couple times where I ended up eating too much because I had become too hungry and that is not good. Further comments below.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).----Yay! I actually was able to walk 4 days give or take 500 feet. I was in discomfort/pain, but it certainly felt good to move--probably more mentally than physically. I had to walk slowly. Hoping I can do more and more in the coming weeks.

----Welcome back, Mark; so glad you had such an enjoyable trip...it sounded wonderful!! :-D

----wildgoose, thank you for filling in + writing all you did. I apologize for not having responded in a timely manner + hope to do so soon.

----I really appreciate having the reporting window be as long as it is. I started Friday morning + 1st finished now. :roll:

----Why I had the bread + crackers. I was going to shop Friday, but ended up not getting to shop until later Sunday evening. Sunday afternoon, an opportunity arose for us to drop everything + get out in the late afternoon for a concert in a park over an hour away. We decided to go, but what to eat on the go + no food prepped? With lack of time, still dealing with pain, + lack of groceries, I grabbed frozen bread, apples, water, + the box of crackers, hit the road + had a most enjoyable drive + concert. (First outing since the pandemic hit last year--we stayed on the outskirts of the venue to avoid possible exposure to covid.) I know the bread + crackers were not MWL compliant. But I think this is where the rubber meets the road. Can we navigate through life, maybe sometimes not being 100% MWL, but yet still be 100% McDougall (except too much salt in crackers), yet not let that lead to us continuing to not be MWL, + worse yet, fall off the wagon all together? I am so grateful that, despite the food choices not being ideal, I was able to successfully get right back on to MWL. I didn't "beat myself up" over it, but instead appreciated the fact that I passed a lot of formerly "yummy" "treats" being sold at the concert + formerly favorite fried potato wedges at a favorite gala gas station in that area.

----The corn cakes (like rice cakes but made from corn, sesame seeds, + salt), were eaten because of not having enough time to prepare adequate food before I left the house + I became hungry while out. Again, prep not done. The good thing is that the only reason I ate them was because I was legitimately hungry. It's not because I had a craving for them or am addicted to them. Just figured they were better than going through a drive-thru. Hope to have MWL food prepared so I don't have to fall back on rice/corn cakes or bread. And I really need things I can eat with my fingers (cold potatoes, cut raw veggies) because i couldn't eat the can of no salt added beans I had in the trunk.

----Regarding eating too much: As mentioned, I did eat a bit too much 2 times because I had gotten too hungry (1 time was with the corn cakes). But 1 good thing is that I'm now able to listen to my body in that it's acting more so like a naturally thin person because I naturally eat less at the next meal and/or eat later or not at all. Nonetheless, I can use improvement.

----Question. I ran out of berries that I had washed, drained, + frozen. Just bought frozen berries. But now am wondering if there could be possible covid contamination because I don't think they wash the berries before they freeze them. Or does freezing kill covid + other undesirable things like ecoli, etc.?

Thank you!!! Hoping everyone has a wonderful, MWL week. And remember, all we have control over is what we put in our mouths. If the scale isn't showing what you'd like, try to keep the course, have your chin up, + keep trudging along...eventually you'll get your desired results on the scale. :nod: And like I've been experiencing, the positive changes in my health and behavior are even more important than a # on the scale...though I do like to see the #'s dwindle, too. :wink:
Health 1st

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals