No topic.

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: No topic.

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:49 am

Trinity wrote:Today: (1) :) and (2) :) and did run-walk. Today was so great because my husband first took the kids to the pool and later took them to a movie. They’re still gone! Haha. I got a lot done around the house, then ran some errands, and now I’m just chilling because they’ll be back any minute I think. Unfortunately, I’m feeling the beginning of a cold in my throat—hopefully either it’ll go away or it will be a mild one. I blame air travel.

Isn't that the best? getting some alone time at home...noice! Hopefully you'll conquer whatever that is, that's bringing the scratchy throat. Zinc lozenges FTW!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Trinity » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:45 pm

Thanks Heidi! Yes—it was great. Feeling much better today, though I did too much stuff around the house this morning and got tired. My older daughter made a dessert recipe she invented with grandma over the weekend which undoubtedly has oil and/or animal products in it and I’m going to taste it later so oh well. I think it had something to do with hollowing out strawberries and filling them with something so whatever I eat that’s off-plan it will only be a little bit. The other goodies grandma packed went into the freezer to be put into school lunches next week (!). I did “exercise” by walking around the house for 30 minutes today though I really didn’t feel like it. However, yesterday I could barely drag myself off the couch to do anything so that’s a great improvement.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:48 pm

Oh and thanks Katie! I’m going to try to do a slow run-walk tomorrow morning on the treadmill. I’m in my 7th week now (first 1-1 was 6/19) and school starts next week so I really hope I don’t quit now!
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:18 pm

Hey all. Fine today except for 1 Reese’s cup. I exercised but it ended up being just 1-1 really slow but better than nothing. I’m looking forward catching up with everyone’s journals one day soon!
Trinity

Postby VegSeekingFit » Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:24 pm

Hi Trinity!!! :)

You are doing so great with the running!!! Keep going!! You inspire me... :D

OK.... OMG... I guess I have to super understand Reese's... :mrgreen: I am lucky that right now nobody in my house is looking for candy... or... UGH! :lol:

Have a great week!
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Trinity » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:08 pm

Haha…thanks Stephanie. It was the absolute last bit of the “recipe” my daughter made and no one wanted it because it had been drizzled with Hershey’s chocolate syrup and then had sat in the fridge a couple days. I really tried to throw it out but—no luck.

Today was (1) :) and (2) :) and I walked around the house for exercise. So that was good. Trying to finish Atomic Habits before my loan expires (can’t renew because it’s an ebook). It’s really good—I’m just busy with it being the last week before school and I still don’t feel great. I haven’t tested for Covid because I honestly don’t want to know but at the same time feel guilty when I go out, though I wear a mask if I’m going to be in close proximity with people. Didn’t go out much today for that reason. Kids are starting to sneeze/have runny noses :( but I guess it’s inevitable as we’re all around together all the time.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:08 pm

Today is going to be (1) :) and (2) :) and I run-walked on the treadmill this morning, but very slow 1-1; surely next week I’ll be almost back to normal. I’m not trying to push myself too soon after not feeling well BUT this is a critical time for me as school is about to start and this time because I’m A Runner I’m NOT going to break my 7-week habit of doing run-walk at least once every 3 days. Wow that looks lame in writing but here we are.

Getting to the end of Atomic Habits. I think next I’ll check out all the free printouts on his website.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:45 pm

Today was (1) :) (presumably) but (2) :( as we met my mom for lunch and finally found a decent marinara pizza though it did contain oil (and is over an hour away). Exercised.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:29 pm

Today was (1) :( but (2) :) as my daughter made some kind of dessert bar with butter and I had one bite. They’re too buttery to tempt me further—bleah. Exercised (walked—tomorrow is run-walk).

I made shepherd’s pie for the first time today because I found an oil-free vegan “shepherd’s pie seasoning” packet (Colman’s) so we’ll see later if it’s any good. I had to also make mashed potatoes and I see why you’d want to use leftover because they must be easier to spread on top before you bake. I just used mushrooms, corn, carrots, and green beans in the filling. We’re out of white beans and peas or else I would have used them too (and son doesn’t like them so hopefully he’ll eat this).

My husband is already gearing up for a weigh-in at the end of the month and is frustrated with his progress (he counts calories and runs a lot and therefore is hungry all the time and cranky as a result) and I felt like it was a good time to bring up calorie density—seemed like a teaching moment. I texted him Jeff Novick’s article (https://www.forksoverknives.com/wellnes ... anagement/) and the chart (https://plantstrong.com/wp-content/uplo ... 1x1024.jpg) after explaining very briefly. I doubt he’ll pay much attention but there’s always hope.
Trinity

Postby Lizzy_F » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:16 am

Hi Trinity! Wow you are really rocking the walk/run program. I have not gotten any real traction with exercise consistency and I just need to do what you are doing! Shepherd's Pie sounds so good! Let us know how it turned out! I too have a husband who eats different than me. I too hope that someday he will decide to check out McDougalling. So far no go, but I am making him mighty jealous eating watermelon right now! :lol: Calorie counting never worked for me - I couldn't tolerate being hungry all the time. My husband is low carb but I'm starting to see some cracks in that armour.
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby Trinity » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:22 am

Hey Beth! The Shepherd’s Pie was delicious and my husband and both of my older kids liked it. It’s so exciting when I find a dinner I can add to my regular rotation! With regard to exercise, I learned a lot from Atomic Habits but I also realized I was already using a lot of the strategies he writes about (and he gives them all names of course). Anyways, one is “don’t break the chain” and if I can manage to find 30 minutes in the day to just walk around my house then that “counts,” and then not breaking the chain of exercising every day keeps me motivated. (This also gets the Fleetwood Mac song in my head :).)

It’s still early but:

Today: (1) :) (2) :)
Exercised (run-walk and I finally felt normal again—probably should have taken the week off but oh well).

School starts tomorrow for my 2 older kids. I’m planning on doing run-walk on Tuesdays and Fridays (and one or both of Sat. and Sun. too) since I have stuff on M W Th. Goodbye summer. :crybaby:
Trinity

Postby Ruff » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:48 am

congratulations on making a meal that husband AND kids will eat. Sometimes that is a real challenge. Like you I like to make the mashed potatoes ahead for shepherds pie. The first night we have mash and gravy. I got this from Mary McD who says it is Dr McD's favourite meal. Just mash and gravy and a vegetable or two. But I make heaps of mash and we have shepherds pie the next day. I put any left over veg and gravy in the pie too.

And also HUGE congratulations on keeping up with the walk run programme. I have given that programme to so many people, but hardly any of them have actually done it! Its like McDougalling, people think its a great idea...but actually doing it...well thats another matter entirely!

And if you are saying goodbye to summer, maybe it will start to get warmer here! Though right now it is really cold, snow in the port hills.
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby Trinity » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:04 pm

Hey Katie! Yes—I can’t thank you enough for your programme recommendation (I love the NZ/UK spelling). Like I’ve said before I didn’t know most of those rules and every other time I’ve tried to get back into running I’ve messed up: either too much too soon and getting hurt and having to quit, or trying to start too slow and then stagnating, not sure how to progress without getting hurt. So thank you again!

Today was (1) :) and (2) :) and I exercised (walking). Both my older kids had a good day at school so I was relieved—my daughter especially gets nervous. Youngest had a fun weekend at grandma’s so getting her up before 7 tomorrow should be a hoot.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:17 pm

Today was (1) :( and (2) :( due to eating 2 store-bought cupcakes (anniversary today) but I exercised (walked). I could have done run-walk. Tomorrow definitely. Starting this week Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons are going to be super busy until mid-October, especially Tuesdays—blah.
Trinity

Postby Lizzy_F » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:33 pm

Hi Trinity! I need to get out Atomic Habits and give it a re-read. I think I have it on my Kindle so should be easy enough to find! Sounds like the concepts are helping you with your exercise program and that is an area I desparately need to improve in!

Grocery pickup does indeed save me from myself! I love not having to deal with all the various temptations in the grocery stores. I can totally see how it would be helpful with young children seeing = wanting as well!

I can't believe schools are already getting started. Why do I think I remember summers being longer? Time sure seems to fly faster and faster with each passing year!
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals