No topic.

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: No topic.

Postby Trinity » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:21 pm

Today was (1) :) and (2) :) and I exercised. The candied apples were a failure. We didn’t have a candy thermometer and the instructions made it sound unnecessary so we boiled the sugar, water, and corn syrup for 20 minutes (as instructed!) and burned it. The resulting apples are brown instead of red but still edible (for me only). We’ll be all ready for next time.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:20 pm

Today is going to be (1) :) and (2) :) and I exercised. I'm making an effort to eat more fruits and vegetables and I upped my B12 back to 1000 mg daily. Husband is leaving for a trip tomorrow through next Thursday. I’m still reading Cloud Cuckoo Land which I had to wait a long time for and which I’m not thrilled with yet. Gymnastics and cross-country later. I made Red Lentil Chili last night but with brown lentils and I wasn’t going to cook tonight but then my husband brought some to work for lunch, yay, so I’ll just throw together some Speedy International Stew later. They don’t sell red lentils at the commissary and due to inflation I’ve basically been instructed to not get groceries anywhere else. It works fine with brown lentils anyway. I’m also making bread in the bread machine (the only ingredients are flour, water, salt, and yeast for the French bread setting).
Trinity

Postby Ruff » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:42 pm

do you use wholegrain flour in the bread maker? and how does it work if you do?

Well done on achieving both daily goals...and exercising!
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby Trinity » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:08 pm

Hi Katie! When I use whole grain flour no one eats it except me. Even white whole wheat. My alternative is to spend money on bread at the store where even the oil-free bread has added mono- and diglycerides. I should try half-white, half-white-whole-wheat again. If no one else eats it then I get to eat a loaf of bread! I did the stairstepper today but tomorrow will be my last day of 1-1 because I may not get a chance on Saturday.
Trinity

Postby Ruff » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:39 pm

how about making whole wheat dough in the bread maker and then using it to make rolls (by hand) for you? You can freeze the rolls and take them out one at a time. and then make white bread for the family in the bread maker. Its still better than shop brought.

I love making bread by hand and have a sourdough starter going. I make a poolish with kibbled grains the night before as well, and then add the flour and extras in the morning. I find bread making the old fashioned way very soothing...but it does require eons of time! From perking the starter to a finished loaf takes more than 48 hours....mind you most of that time I dont do anything, just leave the bread to get on with it by itself. I do confess though, when the kids were teenagers and I was working I had a bread maker going daily, churning out white loaves at the rate of 2 a day!
Katie

Ruff

Postby Trinity » Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:16 pm

Wow, 2 a day! It’s all I can do to remember to start the bread machine to have bread in time for dinner (French bread takes 6 hours and everyone seems to prefer it to the regular 4-hour bread). For awhile they got tired of it and that’s when I started buying rolls or baguettes from Publix which are easier for me to resist because if I ate them I’d have to say I consumed oil (due to the “-glycerides”) and that would be a (2) :(. I’ve been trying to avoid bread just for weight maintenance. And the white-whole-wheat bread turns out so dense…I’m happier eating potatoes. And my husband and son would not suffer from similar weight-management measures…they have a similar body type and just love food. The girls are thin eating whatever they want for now but that won’t last!

Today was (1) :) and (2) :) and I did my last day of 1-1. Next time will be 2-1! One daughter has a make-up gymnastics class in the morning. Then we’re planning to go see the Buzz Lightyear movie. I am definitely more excited to see it than I was to see Sonic 2, which we did the last Saturday that Dad was out of town. For dinner we had potatoes, corn, and edamame which the kids had never had before (the edamame, that is) and all liked, which was great, but they probably won’t like it as much the 2nd time.

I take back anything negative I said about Cloud Cuckoo Land because now I can barely put it down. It just took me awhile to get into it. I will have to put it aside briefly to watch the new Dr. Strange movie on Disney+ though.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:11 pm

Today was fine. (1) :) and (2) :) and I exercised. Finished Cloud Cuckoo Land last night and started watching new Dr. Strange but it’s not that good. I’ll finish it later. Tomorrow the kids want to go to the mall and the pool and then get Chinese.
Trinity

Postby Ruff » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:44 pm

I love reading, but with my fiction I like all my stories to have happy endings. I find most modern fiction way too challenging. Life is challenging enough as it is without having to read about it in my leisure time too....the trouble is that tends to lead me to poorly written romantic drivel. However I am enjoying re-reading through the Isabel Dalhousie series (Sunday Philosophers Club) by Alexander McCall Smith. He has written a lot so I have plenty to work through. And a D.E. Stevenson for my bedtime reading. Gentle and predictable (I always have a D.E. Stevenson on the go. When I get to the end of the row, I just start again at the beginning!)

Non fiction, I am currently reading Whole by T. Colin Campbell, and also have just dragged out the Starch Solution to re read. I am also listening to The Wave on audio book when doing the housework, all about big waves around the world, surfing, and shipping as well as tsunami.
Katie

Ruff

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:26 pm

Hi Trinity, :)

Was catching up on your journal and have to say that I got a chuckle on a post (prior page) where you mentioned your "walking-around-the-house thing"... :lol: I did some of my winter exercise by "pacing with a purpose" around the house... Who knew this was possible?

Anyway, love your 1) and 2) tracking -- super simple !!!

Appreciate how you (and now Katie and Erin!!) have started a posting wave in the journals --- fantastic!!! :-D

Best,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby Trinity » Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:48 pm

Hi Katie! Cloud Cuckoo Land was really good but I also have to wait until I’m in the right mood to read a certain book. I agree with what you said about modern fiction being too much. Most of the books that I read are because my mom has recommended them. I also read a lot of children’s books because for one thing, they’re not too heavy and for another, I like to see what my kids are reading. I read the Hunger Games series recently which was interesting and then the series that starts with Divergent which I thought was pretty good. I love Liane Moriarty though I didn’t think her most recent one was nearly as good as Nine Perfect Strangers which I love so much I’ve read twice and will probably read again in a few years. The problem with that one (9PS) was the first time I read it (on the Kindle app) I decided I’d finish it that night though I wasn’t willing to see how much was left. I avoided looking at a clock but I stayed up waaay too late. It wasn’t light yet but who knows what time it was. So it’s best for me to read books that are good, but not so good that I’m tempted to stay up all night. :)

Stephanie, thanks for stopping by! Whatever it takes to get some “exercise” in, right? 8) Thank YOU for being a dependable poster! I am so inspired by your goals. Sometimes the very act of me setting a goal causes me to immediately sabotage myself. By setting small/vague goals it’s like tricking my subconscious (or whatever) into doing what I want.

This week though I have truly no food goals besides my (1) and (2) which today were both a :) (and I exercised: first day of 2-1) because I’m alone with my kids for a week and sometimes I just need (want) a spoonful of brown sugar right out of the bag in the freezer. I love them and we have a great time but I’ve learned from experience that it’s not a good time to also, say, do a Mary’s Mini or something. Yet it always seems like a good idea at the time since my husband is not home and so we don’t have to have as dinnerish of an evening meal. Anyways, we’re going to my parents for the 4th of July so I’ll just have to really tighten up after that before our weeklong trip to New England towards the end of the month.
Trinity

Postby Ruff » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:31 pm

goals v habits..stephanies journal. sorry, arm.
Katie

Ruff

Postby Trinity » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:10 pm

Thanks Katie! Don’t feel like you have to post when your arm hurts!

Today was fine, exercised, but my daughter wanted to finally bake a little kit of “whoopie pies” that my husband’s aunt (the baker in our family) gave her for Christmas and I stuck in the freezer. She does get so excited to bake and she did the whole thing except I stuck the cake parts in the oven and pulled them out. A whoopie pie is basically a cookie sandwich but the cookie parts are chocolate cake and the filling is vanilla frosting. Like individual inverted chocolate cakes with white icing. Anyways, I did have a small one after dinner (with sprinkles) so I’m at (1) :( and (2) :( for the day, but I’m glad we can check that one off finally. Also after getting a candy thermometer I did successfully make candied apples without burning the candy. We haven’t tasted them yet but at least they’re red instead of brown this time.
Trinity

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:54 pm

Trinity wrote: I also read a lot of children’s books because for one thing, they’re not too heavy and for another, I like to see what my kids are reading. I read the Hunger Games series recently which was interesting and then the series that starts with Divergent which I thought was pretty good. I love Liane Moriarty though I didn’t think her most recent one was nearly as good as Nine Perfect Strangers which I love so much I’ve read twice and will probably read again in a few years. The problem with that one (9PS) was the first time I read it (on the Kindle app) I decided I’d finish it that night though I wasn’t willing to see how much was left. I avoided looking at a clock but I stayed up waaay too late. It wasn’t light yet but who knows what time it was. So it’s best for me to read books that are good, but not so good that I’m tempted to stay up all night. :)

Hi Trinity,

Hoping I can pop in (butt in??) on the book topic.... :)

I super love Liane Moriarty (thought I haven't finished her latest yet) and so relate to this staying up too late reading sometimes... Started with Husband's Secret... and loved the Nine Perfect Strangers too!!

Anyway, wanted to recommend based on The Hunger Games / DIvergent ones that it sounds like you enjoyed .... The Margaret Peterson Haddix "Among the Hidden" series. Totally un-putdown-able (made up this word?) I bought that for my son one year for Christmas and read them first... :lol: The first in series was the best, but they are all great - if you haven't read her yet...

Take care,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby Trinity » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:41 pm

Hi Stephanie! Yes! I actually did read the first “Among the Hidden,” such an interesting story since we had 2 kids, waited, then all of a sudden I did really want a third and so she’s 5 1/2 years younger than my older daughter (my older 2 are 2 years 9 months apart) (had a miscarriage first but that’s another story). My son was reading it in school. I need to read the 2nd one! Along that line but older was “Ender’s Game,” long but ultimately good if you stick with it.

The first Liane Moriarty book I read was “What Alice Forgot,” which I read when I just had 1 baby, and then reread later when I had 3 kids and it was like reading a different book. That was so interesting. Probably my 2nd favorite of hers. At one point I went back and read all of hers, one of her early ones is “3 Wishes” I think. Hopefully she’ll get another one out soon!

Another good book I read somewhat recently was “Bright as Heaven” which was about the 1918 flu epidemic. Katie’s post on habits (I found the book she mentioned and now I’m waiting for it) reminded me of “The Power of Habit” by Charles Duhigg which I also loved. It’s true—if there’s something you want to start doing you just have to make it part of your daily life. Then you can’t help but not do it.

Today was (1) :) and (2) :) and I exercised. The scale finally budged downward which was motivating. Ate a lot of sushi though (veggie but with avocado) which was something we wanted to do this week that Dad is gone. I really couldn’t find any John Bingham books at any library, e-book or not, so I went on eBay and got 4 of them (used) for $12! It was buy 3 get 1 free—I’m considering the one for marathoners the free one since I do not intend on running a marathon. My husband ran 2 in college and I wanted to do one for awhile but not anymore. “Born to Run” by Christopher McDougall (no relation) made me want to do ultras but not anymore, ha, 30 minutes is all I can fit in a day. Also I was disgusted when he went on to write a 2nd book which has paleo/keto/whatever leanings.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:06 pm

I’m going to go ahead and post. (1) :) and (2) :) and I exercised (2nd day in a row of 2-1 so I’ll do the stairstepper tomorrow). What a day. Was heading out of the house with the kids and a tire went dead flat within 1/4 mile of the house (thank GOD). Long story short probably won’t get the car back till tomorrow. I’m a little nervous to be without a car (rental car agency on post was out of cars and the next one I called I never got off of hold). Had my first experience with an Uber which was actually great. So glad my husband is supposed to be coming back tomorrow. Why does stuff always happen when he’s gone?! Ha.
Trinity

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals