No topic.

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: No topic.

Postby Trinity » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:08 pm

Today I exercised but it was also

(1) :(
(2) :(

because we went out to lunch with my mom at a Thai place (oil) and later we had cake (dairy/egg) because I wanted to get all the celebrating (that is, feasting) out of the way today and have a healthy day tomorrow (which is my actual birthday).
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:46 pm

(1) :)
(2) :)

And I exercised. Yay!
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:02 pm

Today was (1) :) and (2) :) and I exercised so that was good. Husband is dealing with some serious stuff at work AND our air conditioning is not quite working right. Someone came and worked on it today and it is still cooling, no doubt about that, just not quite to what it’s been set on. We have a couple of window units we may put in tomorrow. It was a busy day just knocking off piddly stuff on my to do list.
Trinity

Postby squealcat » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:14 pm

Hi Trinity ! I like the small goals you made for yourself ! I find that I do much better with just one or two goals as I get lost in the abyss of a large list. :) :)

I am glad you liked the book "Dutch House" ! I just read a book my daughter gave to me and it was VERY exciting and tense! I got through it rather quickly (for me). It is called "Don't Look For Me" by Wendy Walker. I will read other books by her now. To follow that one, I am now reading a book by Anita Shreve. Her books are calmer ....I also read her books rather quickly ! I have read more than one of hers and like them all (she wrote The Pilot's Wife, which is a well-known book of her's ).

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby Trinity » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:05 pm

Thanks Marilyn! I was able to get “Don’t Look for Me” from the library on Kindle. I’m excited to read it! Thanks for the suggestions!

Yes—I realized I was spending too much time thinking about how I’d have to post that I ate the crumbs of a box of Wheaties (still McD) that my family wouldn’t eat and silly stuff like that. It’s better to just focus on the big picture, at least for now.

Today was (1) :) and (2) :) and I exercised. It’s thunderstorming now, which I love. My husband and I are watching Spider-Man cartoons from 1981 courtesy of Disney+ (a trip down memory lane for him, apparently.)
Trinity

Postby Ruff » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:59 pm

Hi Trinity, I was thinking about your daughters nightmares. My daughter went through the same thing. (she is 32 now!) She wouldn't sleep in her bed. So we made a dream catcher together and hung it above her bed to catch the bad dreams (I have no idea if this is how dream catchers are supposed to work, I was clutching at straws...) We also got her a 'super teddy'. She chose it and super hero teddy would look after her at night. We still let her (and teddy) sleep in with us if she did have a bad dream, but quite often I would carry her back to bed once she had fallen asleep. But overall the nightmares lessened and went away.

I used to tell myself that not many 12 year olds are still sleeping with their parents!!! This too will pass....
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby Trinity » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:14 pm

Hi Katie! You’re such a sweet mom. My older kids actually do each have a dream catcher though I’ve never tried to make one. Luckily my youngest got over it pretty quickly and is back sleeping in her own bed (for now). Funny you should mention that though because my 12-year-old son has been having bad dreams now and ended up in our bed last night. I went and slept in his bed. I just can’t sleep with extra people in my bed (my husband’s bad enough, he flops around in his sleep like crazy but sleeps like the dead—usually he doesn’t even realize a kid has come in). I will keep the super teddy idea in my back pocket for later so thanks for that!

Today was (1) :) and (2) :) and I exercised AND cross-country practice was canceled again due to the heat—whew. Tomorrow we’re meeting my mom for lunch though I don’t know where yet. Planning to eat a bunch of potatoes on the hour drive up and just get a salad when I get there or even maybe just an iced tea or whatever.

I’m worried about my dad. I hope nothing serious is going on with him. He’s just so grumpy and never feels like doing anything. We were actually going to go up for Father’s Day or at least meet for lunch with him Sunday but he literally said no thank you. It doesn’t hurt my feelings or anything but my father-in-law was really uncharacteristically grumpy the last time I saw him and then a month later he died of his 3rd heart attack (this was in 2013). My dad is a cancer survivor since 2001 so he’s got good genes or something but who knows. We’re meeting my mom tomorrow to give her my Dad’s card (so I didn’t have to mail it) and a small gift. He’s pretty grumpy naturally and is also getting over a cold so maybe it’s nothing.
Trinity

Postby Ruff » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:59 pm

Trinity wrote:. Funny you should mention that though because my 12-year-old son has been having bad dreams now and ended up in our bed last night. I went and slept in his bed. I just can’t sleep with extra people in my bed (my husband’s bad enough, he flops around in his sleep like crazy but sleeps like the dead—usually he doesn’t even realize a kid has come in).

I’m worried about my dad. I hope nothing serious is going on with him. He’s just so grumpy and never feels like doing anything. We were actually going to go up for Father’s Day or at least meet for lunch with him Sunday but he literally said no thank you. It doesn’t hurt my feelings or anything but my father-in-law was really uncharacteristically grumpy the last time I saw him and then a month later he died of his 3rd heart attack (this was in 2013). My dad is a cancer survivor since 2001 so he’s got good genes or something but who knows. We’re meeting my mom tomorrow to give her my Dad’s card (so I didn’t have to mail it) and a small gift. He’s pretty grumpy naturally and is also getting over a cold so maybe it’s nothing.

Oh Gosh....I remember those bed hopping days! We even had one occasion when all 3 were in our bed and both me and my husband were in different rooms in one of the kids beds! (thats one kid bed each...we needed the sleep... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: )

I hope your Dad is alright. Hopefully your Mum will be able to reassure you. Enjoy meeting up with her.

Right...must go for my run, Its getting light but its still frosty. However if I dont get my act together I will miss the sunrise. I was supposed to go after writing my journal, but just popped in to say Hi and here I still am! :D
Katie

Ruff

Postby Trinity » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:55 pm

Holy moly. You run before the sun comes up? Even though that’s at 7:45 for you now (this is what the internet tells me) I’m impressed. Early morning is the best time of day but it’s so hard to be awake for it. Before kids I used to do that and even when I only had 1 kid I did but as soon as I got pregnant with #2—no way. In fact that’s when we got the treadmill we have now that I’m asking my husband to replace because it’s in rough shape (“for Father’s Day” haha). Now that my older 2 kids are runners in addition to my husband I really want to follow suit. I even tried to get inspired by that “miracle morning” stuff but no dice, haha. I just feel like life is better with running in it.

I am pretty confident that today was (1) :) (no animal products) but equally confident that it was (2) :( as my mom decided on Red Robin, where I got a veggie burger with a side of steamed broccoli. I couldn’t find any ingredient lists online but what restaurant has oil-free buns and/or veggie burgers? None, at least not in Georgia I don’t think. We had a nice afternoon and my mom said she’d see how she thought my dad was after he gets over his latest cold. He still walks on the treadmill 30 min. per day, practices piano, and reads and stuff like that so maybe it’s nothing—he’s 70. I just had microwaved potatoes for breakfast and Split Pea Soup and salad for dinner (all compliant) (eating non-compliantly at home is just a recipe for disaster).
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:56 pm

I forgot to mention I exercised yesterday. Actually, I did my walking-around-the-house thing and then after dinner I took a walk outside. It was 92 but not too bad because it was later and also starting to get cloudy. It reminded me of one time when we lived in Texas and I was big into running I waited until 10 pm to run and it was still 92 degrees in the pitch black dark. But nice and flat.

I am so happy that first thing today (after a cup of tea) I got on our treadmill and did 1-1 for 30 minutes (walk a minute, jog a minute). I even didn’t wash my hair today (gross, TMI) to motivate myself to do it again tomorrow morning. I also was excited about this high-velocity fan we got at the PX today to put into the garage but I tried it and it doesn’t seem very strong. Anything will help though.

Today was (1) :) for no animal products but (2) :( for no oil. My husband wanted to go to this Mexican place he likes—the service is super fast and he and the kids like the food—for dinner as an early Father’s Day thing. The thing I usually get has corn tortillas, refried beans, lettuce, tomatoes, guacamole, and salsa and I’m sure they put oil in the refried beans but it’s on the vegetarian menu so I assume no meat (I just order it without the cheese).
Trinity

Postby Ruff » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:38 pm

Gosh, that is hot! I dont think I could exercise in that heat! Although my daughter ran from Perth to Darwin in Australia (as part of a relay team) and that was HOT! There is no way I could have done it.

This morning it is cold and frosty here......
Katie

Ruff

Postby Trinity » Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:41 pm

Haha…I would love to go to New Zealand one day. So beautiful—so many movies have been filmed there! My youngest today asked when winter was going to be. Not for a looong time. I was hoping we could get to NZ and/or Australia when we lived in South Korea but the flight was still super long (especially with a 2- and 4-year old).

I got my behind out of bed at 7 am (on a Sunday!) and did 1-1 for 30 minutes before going out to get donuts for my husband for Father’s Day. Whatever temperature it was at 7:10 am or so felt great, probably low 70’s. 2 days in a row, hoping I can go for a 3rd. So far today I am at (1) :) and (2) :) but my older daughter had her heart set on baking something and so I may have a Strawberry Corn Muffin later (the whole batch contained one egg) but I am really full so maybe I can avoid it. She got the cookbook for her birthday. I like how it says at the beginning:

“Question: Are you a cook or are you a baker? When you’re in the kitchen, do you like to throw a little of this and a handful of that into the pan and see what happens?”

Yes.

“Or do you like to take your time, measure everything carefully and follow recipes just as they’re written?”

No.

I already knew I wasn’t a baker but now it’s crystal clear. I can’t tell you I’ve ever absolutely followed a recipe as written. Even what she made today I made her substitute lemon extract for lemon zest so I could avoid buying an actual lemon and who wants to eat lemon peel anyway? I’ll let know how how it turns out tomorrow.
Trinity

Postby Trinity » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:52 am

I’m going to go ahead and post since today I am not going to stray. These weekends are catching up to me and my shorts are getting tight. I did end up eating a muffin my daughter made yesterday which did contain animal products and oil so that turns yesterday into (1) :( (2) :( though today is going to be (1) :) (2) :). I managed to run-walk again today though I am really sore. I’m going to push through with 1-1 until I’m not sore anymore and then maybe do 2-1. If my daughter makes anything today it will be candied apples which are just apples, sugar, corn syrup, and food coloring. We’re at the playground now and it is hot. If we do this again tomorrow it will be much earlier.
Trinity

Postby Ruff » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:51 pm

Trinity...running. I am going to tell you what I did when I started running aged 49. I am going to be 60 in October and I am still running.

This plan was devised by my ultra running daughter.

The Rule. Never run for more than 2 days in a row, and never rest for more than 2 days in a row. (This allows recovery, you dont need this rule after the plan finishes, by then you will be a runner! Run when you want.) So you can run 2 days, take 1 day off, which is what I did. And that means you have the extra day in hand for days you simply cant run. Or go the slow route, run a day and take 2 days off. You can of course walk on your off days.

The Plan. walk briskly to warm up then...
Week 1. Run 1 minute, walk 1 minute for 20-30 minutes, whatever is logical for where you live...you need to end up back at home!
Week 2. Run 2 minutes, walk 1 minute for 20-30 minutes as above.
Week 3. Run 3 minutes, walk 1 minute for 20-30 minutes as above.

NOTE... if you cannot run 3 minutes without stopping and gasping, then week 3 lasts until you can! It took me 3 weeks to get through week 3!

Week 4, Run 4 minutes, walk 1.
Week 5. run 5 minutes, walk 1.
Week 6. Run 6 minutes, walk 1. By now you might have to be out for longer, maybe 35-40 minutes. Remember if you need to take a couple of weeks to achieve this level thats fine, dont push on until you can run 6 minutes without stopping.

Week 7. Run 7 minutes walk 1
Week 8. Run 8 minutes, walk 1
Week 9. Run 9 minutes, walk 1
Week 10 Run 10 minutes, walk 1. By now you will probably be out the door for 50 minutes to an hour.

You are now a runner! It took me more than 16 weeks to get through this. I know because I did a 5km on week 15 and I was not through the programme. I just did Run 9 minutes walk a minute until I finished.

I LOVE running, but when I started I was huge fat red-faced woman lumbering down the beach barefoot because I didnt have any running shoes.....I wish it was easy to post photos on this forum I would show you the pictures.
Katie

Ruff

Postby Trinity » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:53 pm

Hahaha Katie, thank you! Thanks for the instructions! I am glad to know about the “run a max of 2 days, rest a max of 2 days” rule. I really hope I can stick with it this time. We have a treadmill in the garage which is not too hot even in the afternoon if I keep the garage door shut and run our new fan (the AC in the house keeps the garage cooler than outside). Both my parents and my MIL have a treadmill in their finished basements so I have no excuse even when I’m alone in the house with my 4-year-old at either place. This upcoming school year will be different too because even the 4-year-old will be in school every day 9-1. No excuses!

Today was fine, exercised and (1) :) and (2) :). I liked reading other peoples’ posts. I’m excited more people are posting now. I also saw Jeff N. refer to the MWL program as the “Maximum Health” program which I liked. It does pretty much line up with his Healthy Eating Placemat. There’s something about “Maximum Weight Loss” that makes me think, eh, I don’t need to lose that much weight or do it fast, BUT “maximum health” is more motivating. However, it is still hard for me to reconcile the idea of all those vegetables with Dr. McDougall’s famous line that you only need a slice of orange or a floret of broccoli to have enough nonstarchy fruits/vegetables. (Jeff, if you’re reading this, please correct me if I’m wrong but I have heard him say it so many times, I think!) How many vegetables are really necessary? I’m sure there are threads on this.
Trinity

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals