Caroveggie & Melody's Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Caroveggie & Melody's Journal

Postby Caroveggie » Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:47 am

Melody is my calico cat. She's along for the journey. :)

Hello again, and thank you to Dr. McDougall for his life's work helping people get healthy. I tell you, even if you're "off the wagon" you still know in your heart what you need to do if you've read his books, website, or the documentaries he's been in (or heard him speak). So thank you, thank you, Dr. McDougall.

I'm on my health journey again and have been eating cleanly since a health scare in January. I've been losing weight and my blood panel numbers have been improving.

I've moved in to help take care of my parents but they are unwilling to change their eating habits, and get angry if I try to educate them or share books/documentaries with them. Meanwhile, they are the unhealthiest they have ever been and it was the wake up call I needed to start taking my health seriously again.

My mom is bedridden with congestive heart failure and my dad has legs so weak we've had to call the fire department to come out and help lift him up on many occasions. Both have had heart bypasses, and more, both have diabetes (although my mom's is Type 1) - and watching them slowly kill themselves with a rich Western SAD diet has been depressing, to say the least. It's been a close-up view of heart disease around here which I'm using as motivation so that I can create a healthy self for my own future. I have gotten my dad to eat Beyond burgers and such but other than that, it's not been easy.

The good news is I've made some great improvements in a very short time in my own health. I think my doctor was impressed although wanted my HDL higher. I researched and found some Dr. McDougall newsletters that reassured me that I don't have to worry about it.

What I've been eating: a lot of Buddha Bowls, McDougall soups with added veggies, oil free and dairy free mashed potatoes with green salsa and spinach, and more. I'm enjoying eating healthy and it seems the more I do it the easier it is to continue it and stay away from the bad stuff which is around now (since I'm at my parents house I don't have the option to keep it out of the house). I've also been staying away from too much processed stuff.

I'll continue keeping on this path. I've also been walking a lot and plan to get more types of exercise daily in the future.
Caroveggie

Re: Caroveggie & Melody's Journal

Postby Trinity » Tue May 03, 2022 6:25 pm

Wow, Caroveggie, you are dealing with a lot. We’re here to support you.
Trinity

Re: Caroveggie & Melody's Journal

Postby deweyswakms » Wed May 04, 2022 7:57 am

Oh, it is so sad to see such health decline in our dear family and friends; plus what a burden on you. We can only change ourselves, and you are doing it. So glad you are taking care of your health now.

Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals