Artista’s Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Artista’s Wabi Sabi Journal

Postby Ejeff » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:27 am

Artista you are doing great. Your cholesterol number is heading in the right direction so that’s a very good thing. I love that your doctor supports plant based eating. I don’t discuss my diet with my doctor for the most part.

Just keep going, time and adherence works. I bet the next time your cholesterol is checked it will be lower yet again.

Have a great day!

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Artista » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:00 am

Hi Erin, thanks so much for your words of encouragement!
Artista

Postby Ruff » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:58 pm

Congratulations on setting your cholesterol off on its downwards journey. I hope your doctor will see that the diet is working and be prepared to give you a little more time.

Just keep working the programme and everything will fall into place.
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby Artista » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:52 pm

Thank you, Katie. That’s what I think too, if I just stick with the program, everything will sort itself out.
Artista

Postby Artista » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:23 pm

What I ate today:

Breakfast
Arugula,
Oat groats, cannellini beans
Blueberries & strawberries

Lunch
Salad
Steamed green beans & cauliflower
Sautéed mushrooms, onion, garlic, cannellini beans, kale, collards
1/2 sweet potato

Mid-afternoon
2 plums

Dinner
Raw vegetables
California style vegetables
Rice & pinto beans
Banana nice cream

Exercise: 37 minutes brisk walking
Meditation: 20 minutes
MWL 10 point checklist: 10/10

I read a JeffN post on foods that are helpful in lowering cholesterol, BYOB &B (beans, yams, oats, barley, and berries) so I’m working on eating more of those foods. Those are all foods that I like so it shouldn’t be a problem. I like all the foods in this WOE. :)
Artista

Postby Ruff » Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:03 pm

I know...all the foods in this way of eating are wonderful...and there are so many of them. People say...dont you get bored, and I consider their foods....burgers, fries, nuggets, pies, pizza. I would get so bored with that!
Katie

Ruff

Postby SilverMtns » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:24 pm

Ruff wrote:I know...all the foods in this way of eating are wonderful...and there are so many of them. People say...dont you get bored, and I consider their foods....burgers, fries, nuggets, pies, pizza. I would get so bored with that!

Some day I would like to feel that way. :-D
SilverMtns

Postby Artista » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:42 pm

SilverMtns wrote:
Ruff wrote:I know...all the foods in this way of eating are wonderful...and there are so many of them. People say...dont you get bored, and I consider their foods....burgers, fries, nuggets, pies, pizza. I would get so bored with that!

Some day I would like to feel that way. :-D

I believe you will, SilverMtns. It may take awhile but it will happen. It was hard for me at first and it took time to adjust. Sweets and flour products were the hardest thing for me to give up. There are times when I can still hear a layer cake calling my name. But the more I fall in love with this way of eating, the less I think about the foods I no longer eat. Every choice I make in favor of my own health and life, reinforces the joy I experience in living this way.
Artista

Postby Artista » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:47 pm

It's so true, Katie! I never get bored with the food I eat. I would feel sick so fast if I tried to eat greasy, fast food!
Artista

Postby Artista » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:21 pm

What I ate today:

I woke up at 2 am for some reason and at 3 am was hungry so I ate rolled oats & apricots

B: Cantaloupe, Rolled oats, pinto beans, arugula, blueberries & strawberries
L: raw veg, salad w/chickpeas, steamed cabbage & carrots, sweet potato
D: raw veg, green beans, pinto beans, 1/2 sweet potato, a few grapes.

MLW 10 points: 10/10
Exercise: 45 min yoga
Meditation: 20 min.
BP: 113/66

I’m starting to get tomatoes from my garden. I have a Sungold tomato and some kind of cherry tomato. I’ve been doing all the watering in my yard by hand but Monday I should have a watering system installed and that will save an immense amount of time and attention. The summers are very hot and dry where I live and so watering is critical. I planted a couple fruit trees this spring and I’m looking forward to them growing up. I’ve never been a natural gardener, one of those people who loved being out in the garden, but I’m making some inroads into the world of gardening. Trying to grow even the few things I’ve tried to grow has given me a whole new depth of appreciation for farmers.

Wishing you all good health and happy eating! :)
Artista

Postby Artista » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:16 pm

What I ate today:

B: white tea, cantaloupe, arugula, rolled oats, pinto beans, blueberries & strawberries
L: plum, salad, chickpeas, pinto beans, sweet potato
S: apple
D: raw sugar snap peas & cauliflower, cannellini beans, greens, mushrooms, onion, brown rice, 1/2 sweet potato, grapes, banana

MWL 10 point checklist: 10/10
Exercise: 30 minutes jogging on mini-trampoline
Meditation: 20 mins
BP: 114/66

I ate more for dinner than usual and more fruit today than I intended but otherwise, it was a good day. I’m still loving this way of eating. I originally set a goal of 60 days to keep a daily journal. After that I’ll probably shift to updating every few days instead of daily.

I’m so tired I’m starting to see double. I better sign off now. ‘Night all.
Artista

Postby Ruff » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:12 pm

tomatoes! Its midwinter here, and the garden is dank and dripping! I hope to get some broad beans in this week though, to catch an early crop. As I will be in the Uk over Christmas, and that is the main growing season, I won't have as many things growing this year, just salad, courgettes and potatoes I think.

I am also not a natural gardener, but I am learning. Some things grow great, and some dont. Some years are good and others not so good. Last year I planted a nectarine tree and a peach tree, so I hope for some fruit from them this year.
Katie

Ruff

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:39 pm

Hi Artista, :-D

Your meals sound great (and simple)... I think we may have a similar love of cantaloupe :lol: --- I like some everyday for breakfast too. If you ever see one that is marked "Sugar Kiss", be sure to pick up as many as they will sell you - they are simply awesome.

How are you liking the bit of beans at each meal? I have been generally eating legumes almost at every meal (trying to keep to the 1 c. McD max, but definitely always hitting that and perhaps sometimes exceeding) and think that it does keep me feeling full longer. I know that you mentioned that you were doing for cholesterol - sounds like a good plan and hoping that you are enjoying the beans!!!

Hope that you have a fabulous week.

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Artista » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:09 pm

Ruff wrote:tomatoes! Its midwinter here, and the garden is dank and dripping! I hope to get some broad beans in this week though, to catch an early crop. As I will be in the Uk over Christmas, and that is the main growing season, I won't have as many things growing this year, just salad, courgettes and potatoes I think.

I am also not a natural gardener, but I am learning. Some things grow great, and some dont. Some years are good and others not so good. Last year I planted a nectarine tree and a peach tree, so I hope for some fruit from them this year.

Hi Katie! I plant things that are easy to grow because I'm not very good at gardening and delicate things don't tend to last. Tomatoes are easy. I also have a planter box of herbs growing. Nectarine and peach sound lovely. Mine are fig and apricot. Both are fruits I like and they're suppose to be easier to grow. I have a few things that came up as volunteers from dirt I had composted. There're potatoes and a cantaloupe and something that looks like a leek. I'm not sure how they'll taste since they are volunteers but I thought I would let them grow and find out. I should really grow potatoes in earnest since I eat so many of them!
Last edited by Artista on Sun Jul 03, 2022 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Artista

Postby Artista » Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:24 pm

VegSeekingFit wrote:Hi Artista, :-D

Your meals sound great (and simple)... I think we may have a similar love of cantaloupe :lol: --- I like some everyday for breakfast too. If you ever see one that is marked "Sugar Kiss", be sure to pick up as many as they will sell you - they are simply awesome.

How are you liking the bit of beans at each meal? I have been generally eating legumes almost at every meal (trying to keep to the 1 c. McD max, but definitely always hitting that and perhaps sometimes exceeding) and think that it does keep me feeling full longer. I know that you mentioned that you were doing for cholesterol - sounds like a good plan and hoping that you are enjoying the beans!!!

Hope that you have a fabulous week.

Best,
Stephanie

Hi Stephanie, You're right, I love cantaloupe! It's the perfect food as the first thing I eat for the day. Not many foods could fill that bill but cantaloupe is perfect. I'll look for the Sugar Kiss melons. I've seen them in the stores before so I'll watch for them again.

I like beans so it wasn't too difficult to include them at every meal. For breakfast I mix them in with the oatmeal. It's not a great addition but it works for me with some varieties of beans. Cannellini beans or pintos are the ones I've tried and they're not too bad. And, as you said, it does keep me fuller longer. I hope it makes a difference in my cholesterol, I'll have to wait and see. I thought about the 1 cup limit for beans and I try to keep them to 1/3 or 1/2 cup at each meal.

Wishing you a fabulous week too. I always appreciate your cheerful and inspiring posts.
Artista

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals