Artista’s Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Artista’s Wabi Sabi Journal

Postby squealcat » Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:21 pm

Hi Artista ! I love reading your journal ! Reading what you eat every day is inspiring me ! I plan to make Stephanie's pea soup and may include some peppers. We have some growing in our garden.

Good luck with your art ! I am sure it will go well !

-Marilyn (squealcat)
squealcat

Postby Artista » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:19 pm

Hi Marilyn! :) Thanks for posting to my journal. I enjoy reading your journal too. All of you have such interesting journals. I always update mine at the end of the day and by then I’m feeling pretty empty headed. Sometimes all I can do is post what I ate. You’ll love the pea soup!
Artista

Postby Artista » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:34 pm

Day 60

What I ate today:

Breakfast: green tea, cantaloupe, arugula, oatmeal, peach
Lunch: kohlrabi slices, green beans, kale, chickpeas, sweet potato, plum
Dinner: a few cherries, cauliflower, broccoli, chickpeas, potatoes

Exercise: 40 minutes walking
Meditation: 20 minutes
MWL 10-point checklist: 10/10
Artista

Postby Artista » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:53 pm

Day 61

B: green tea, cantaloupe, oatmeal, blueberries, cherries
S: apple
L: kohlrabi slices & tomatoes, Normandy-style vegetables & green beans, Jeff burger, sweet potato
S: plum
D: grapes, green beans, Jeff burger w/a little BBQ sauce, potatoes

Exercise: 30 minutes jogging on mini-trampoline

MWL 10-point checklist: 10/10
Artista

Postby Artista » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:03 am

Report for yesterday, Wednesday, July, 27, 2021
Day 62

B: green tea, cantaloupe, arugula, oatmeal, cannellini beans, strawberries
L: raw veg, white bean stew, green beans
S: plum
D: bean burger, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potato

Didn’t get a chance to exercise
Meditated 20 minutes
MWL 10-point checklist: 8/10 (no exercise and forgot to preload at dinner)

I did some batch cooking today, made a white bean stew and a batch of bean burgers using a recipe from the Esselstyn’s. The ingredients are very similar to Jeff’s burger recipe (beans, rice, oats, onion, seasonings, and this one added a 1/4 c. of NSA salsa and some nutritional yeast. I don’t usually use nutritional yeast but thought I would follow the recipe once before I try changing it).

I originally set a goal of keeping a daily journal for 60 days. I feel like it’s served it’s purpose in helping me to cement the behaviors and food choices of MWL. I’m so busy right now, I just need to step back from the daily posting. I’ll try to post an update every few days just to help me stay on track. I feel pretty solid in following MWL, not perfectly, obviously, but most days I’m able to nail the 10 points. It’s not a struggle anymore and by now it feels familiar and routine. I’m not craving foods that aren’t on the plan, at least I haven’t been lately but who knows, cravings are mysterious things. But I know now that if I just stay the course they will eventually go away. I haven’t been doing a very good job of keeping up with others’ journals but I have noticed that there’s been a lot of postings lately. It’s been great to see a thriving community here of people committed to healthy eating and lifestyle. :)
Artista

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:02 pm

Hi Artista!! :)

Hope that you are having a great weekend!!!

Completely with you on knowing how to follow the Checklist and not having to post everyday... Super awesome that you have integrated that!!!

Anyway, post us something!!! A picture of your art or another swing story!!! :D

No pressure... :D

Seriously, understand that you are busy. Just wanted to say "hi" and we miss you!!!

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Re: Artista’s Journal

Postby Artista » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:40 pm

I decided to resurrect my journal from the dustbin and start reporting what I eat again. It was helpful in the past during a time when I was following MWL. I lasted only bout 2 months or so then went completely off script and eventually ended up in some hope-I-never-go-there-again food territory. That was about a year ago. I'm hoping to move in the direction of MWL again but in truth my self-efficacy is not robust. I'll just commit to doing the best I can and reporting what I eat.

I tried adding some higher calorie dense foods to my diet hoping that would help me find a place of peace. But I came to the conclusion that if I am going to adhere to a health-supporting diet and lifestyle and live in the world I live in, I am going to have to embrace deprivation at some level and I just better get used to it. Sometimes I think my desire-meter is stuck on “more”, more richness, more quantity, more fat, more sweetness, etc., and that no diet this side of sanity can appease that. Once I accepted that, things got easier. I have a new appreciation for how difficult this can be, also how important it is to be kind to oneself. If I’m feeling miserable and dissatisfied, then maybe it’s time to rethink, maybe make some adjustments, ask for help. In his recent post on longterm adherence Jeff provided some suggestions for how to adjust calorie-density without adding potentially problematic foods. I’ll be keeping that in mind as I go forward. He suggested I keep a journal to help me with my progress. I thought that was a great idea so here I am.

Exercise will be a challenge for the next month or so. I'm recuperating from an accident and have one arm in a sling and one foot in a walking boot. I'm starting to feel better and starting to think about what kind of exercises I can do that won’t cause more problems. I'm definitely missing being able-bodied. I'm getting ok writing with my left hand and even painting left handed. Food prep is a challenge so I’m keeping things as simple as possible.

I appreciate all the other folks who journal here. I'm inspired by reading your posts.

Yesterday I ate:
B: tea, cantaloupe, 1/2 c. rolled oats, 1 T. flaxseeds, 1 mango, soy milk
L: a few grapes, steamed Brussels sprouts & broccoli, 1/2 c. edamame beans, 1/2 sweet potato
S: 2 figs, 1 apple
D: steamed California-style veg., Yukon Gold new potatoes, pinto beans

Stephanie, thank you so much for leaving that nice message on my journal way back a year ago!
Artista

Postby Artista » Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:03 pm

What I ate yesterday:

B: green tea, melon, green beans, arugula, 1/2 c. rolled oats, 2 figs, 1 T. flaxseeds, unsweetened soy milk
L: steamed California-style vegetables with added broccoli, chickpeas, brown rice, 1 fig
S: 2 figs
D: steamed California-style vegetables with added broccoli, chickpeas, brown rice

Exercise: none but I did see the doctor today and was cleared to not use the boot anymore so I’m hoping to get back to walking soon. Yay! I’m excited about that. :-D
Artista

Postby Artista » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:39 am

Monday I ate:

green tea
B1: honeydew, green beans, arugula, 1/2 c. chickpeas
B2: 1/2 c. rolled oats, 3 figs, 1 T. flaxseeds, soy milk
L: a few grapes, a few grape tomatoes, Calif.-style vegetables w/added broccoli, 1/2 c. edamame beans, 1/2 Japanese sweet potato
D: raw vegetables, brown rice, mashed pinto beans, 2 figs

I've been on a fig kick lately. A friend has a tree so I've been getting lots of them. He discovered this great idea to freeze them then let thaw for 5 minutes or so before before eating. Nice on a hot day!
Artista

Postby JeffN » Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:20 am

Welcome back!

Best wishes for your success!

If you have any questions let me know.

Jeff
JeffN

Postby VegSeekingFit » Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:21 pm

Hi Artista! :)

Nice to see you back!!! Hope that your foot and arm are healing well.

Your figs sound wonderful!!! Enjoy!

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Artista » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:41 am

JeffN wrote:Welcome back!

Best wishes for your success!

If you have any questions let me know.

Jeff

Hi Jeff! Thanks for the welcome back. If I have any questions I'll be sure and ask. I appreciate all the information you've made available here on the forums. I tend to worry about nutrition especially now that I'm recovering from a fracture in my shoulder. My family worries about me being vegan, but I'm trying to trust the process and also read up on your posts on bone strength and other topics. I have the book Strong Women, Strong Bones and I'm reading that too.
VegSeekingFit wrote:Hi Artista! :)

Nice to see you back!!! Hope that your foot and arm are healing well.

Your figs sound wonderful!!! Enjoy!

Cheers,
Stephanie

Hi Stephanie! Thanks for stopping by and saying Hi! Healing is going well. Everyday I see some improvement. :)

What I ate Tuesday:
B:Green tea, slice of honeydew melon, green beans, arugula, 1/2 c. edamame & chickpeas, 1/2 c rolled oats, 1/2 peach, 1/2 banana, soy milk
L: grape tomatoes, steamed Calif.-style vegetables w/added broccoli, natto & chickpeas (about 1/2 cup total), 2 figs
S: 1/2 banana
D: steamed broccoli, potato, mashed pinto beans (Mary McDougall’s recipe)

Exercise: 50 squats

Wednesday:
B: green tea, slice of honeydew melon, green beans, arugula, 1/2 cup chickpeas
L; apple, 1 fig (busy day and not very hungry)
D: cucumber, tomatoes, mashed pinto beans, brown rice, slice of honeydew

Exercise: 20 minutes walking.

Edited to correct typos.
Last edited by Artista on Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Artista

Postby Artista » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:04 am

Thursday's food:
B: green tea, honeydew, green beans, arugula, 1/2 c. oats, blueberries, 1 T. flaxseeds, unsweetened soy milk
S: apple, carrots
L: sautéed mushrooms, onion, garlic, kale, chickpeas, potato
S: banana
D: carrots, Calif.-style veg., broccoli, 1/2 c. edamame beans, 1/2 sweet potato

Exercise: did some strengthening exercises, not sure how many minutes
Artista

Postby Artista » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:18 pm

Catching up on the last 3 days.

What I ate Friday 8/25:
B: Green tea, cantaloupe, 2 figs, green beans, arugula, chickpeas,
L: Apple, dry sautéed onion, garlic, kale, chickpeas, brown rice, 2 figs
S: 2 figs, a few bites of potato
D: Steamed vegetables, edamame beans, sweet potato
Exercise: 10 minutes stair-stepping

Saturday 8/26:
B: green tea, cantaloupe, oatmeal, blueberries, 1 T. Flaxseeds, soy milk
L: steamed vegetables, potatoes, watermelon
D: cucumber, pinto beans, brown rice, arugula
Exercise: yoga

Sunday 8/27:
B: tea, cantaloupe, 1/2 banana, green beans, arugula, chickpeas,
oatmeal, blueberries, soy milk
L: steamed vegetables, brown rice, edamame beans
S: pear, apple
D: cucumber, mango, pinto beans, sweet potato, grapes
Exercise: 30 minutes walking, stair-stepping, squats

I spent some time browsing around the forums and came across this formula which Jeff provided: Health=CR-ON + appropriate exercise/fitness + adequate rest, relaxation & sleep + adequate sunshine + emotional poise + pure air + pure water.

I really like this. It seems like a nice summary of the diet and lifestyle changes that are taught and practiced here and I thought it would make an interesting point of self-reflection.

CR-ON: I think this stands for Calorie Restriction-Optimal Nutrition. I think I’m ok with the optimal nutrition part but the calorie restriction could be better. That's something I'll be working on.
appropriate exercise/fitness: I’m still getting back to a consistent exercise routine since fracturing my shoulder. Just tying the laces on my walking shoes is a challenge but each day I’m able to do more.
adequate rest, relaxation & sleep: I would say no for this one as far as sleep goes. I usually don’t get the recommended hours of sleep, especially during the summer months, but I do allow time for relaxation during the day.
adequate sunshine: I get some sunshine when I go for a walk but it might not be considered adequate. I’m ordering a Sperti Vit D lamp to help with Vit. D levels especially during the winter months.
emotional poise: This area may need some work. I’m usually poised outwardly but not always inwardly. I’m thinking of restarting my meditation practice, also simplifying my schedule and my life. Having my arm in a sling has forced me to simplify what I’m able to do. I’m trying to really embrace that process going forward.
pure air: Yes for this one. The air quality is fairly good in my area right now and I have air purifiers indoors.
pure water: Yes, I have a Berkey water filter. I’ve also been thinking of upgrading to a reverse osmosis system.
Artista

Postby Artista » Sat Sep 02, 2023 12:08 pm

Catching up on the last few days ...

Mon. 8/28
B: green tea, cantaloupe, oatmeal, peach, blueberries, soy milk
S: plum, tomatoes
L: carrots SNAP meal withCalif.-style veg., tomatoes, potatoes, pinto beans, grapes for dessert
D: cucumber, SNAP meal from lunch, small sweet potato

Tues. 8/29
B: green tea, oatmeal, blueberries, peach, soy milk
L: SNAP meal, raw tomatoes, small sweet potato, grapes
S: pear, fig, grapes, natty
D: beans, 1/2 sweet potato

Wed. 8/30
B: green tea, cantaloupe, green beans, arugula, steel cut oats, mango
L: Broccoli, collards, SNAP meal w/added chickpeas, 2 figs
D: Calif.-style vegetables, pinto beans, sweet potato, grapes

I’ve been reviewing the MWL guidelines and see a few guidelines that I could improve upon:

1) Thrive on Unrefined Starch — I think sometimes I’ve tried to thrive on fruits and vegetables which could explain why I’ve felt hungry and dissatisfied at times in the past when following MWL. I'll be paying more attention to this one going forward.
2) Avoid Refined Foods and Flours — I do pretty well with this one.
3) Eat Green and Yellow Vegetables — Also good here.
4) Eat more raw foods — I eat raw fruit and when I remember to preload its usually with raw vegetables.
5) Avoid All High-Fat Plant Foods — I fall down a little with this one, mostly with soy milk and edamame beans, occasionally natto and flaxseeds. I’ve been working on this!
6) Avoid Sugar — Doing well here, fortunately!
7) Minimize Fruits — This is one of the hardest ones to follow. I’m not exactly sure what minimize means but I’m pretty sure its less than what I’m eating. I’m going to aim for 3-4 servings of fruit a day.
8 ) Eat Slowly and Frequently — Not quite sure what to do with this one. I’ve been trying to reduce or eliminate snacking. I’m a natural grazer and it’s gotten me in trouble in the past. :?
9) Keep Your Meals Simple (Monotonous) — This one was an eye-opener. My meals have not been simple or monotonous. I’ve been working on simple/monotonous the last couple of days and find i really like it.
10) Lower Salt Intake — I do well with this one. So grateful for Jeff’s post on salt and that we don’t have to eliminate it completely.
11) Its Okay to Be Hungry — Sometimes I can be hungry and ok with it but not always.
12) Exercise — This one can be a challenge for me in the best of circumstances but even more so since fracturing my shoulder and injuring my foot. I’ve been trying to come up with exercises that don’t require two arms and two feet. :lol:

Thurs 8/31
B: green tea, steel cut oats, cantaloupe, pear
S: green beans, arugula
L: tomatoes, cucumber, SNAP meal, sweet potato
S: carrots
D: raw tomatoes, broccoli, collards, brown rice, pinto beans
S: grapes

Fri 9/1
B: green tea, cantaloup, steel cut oats, mango
D: SNAP meal, small sweet potato
Artista