Artista’s Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Artista’s Wabi Sabi Journal

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:51 am

Hi Artista! :-D

Love your perseverance quote -- thank you for sharing that.

Wanted to say that I so relate to your story of gratefulness with walking, swing, friend. I had a similar epiphany this weekend when I met my friend for a walk - where we kept pace slow because she has bad knees. We bring our own lunches usually when we meet up --- and at this particular place there were no picnic tables (and neither of us had camping chairs in the trunk). Well, we ended up eating on a curb under a tree --- and it made me sad to see how much trouble that she had both getting onto curb and then getting up... So, I am with you on the gratefulness spectrum...

Also, with the Time & Adherence ... (ignore if this is not helpful)... I totally understand the frustration with the scale. It has a mind of its own and it doesn't always take a downward turn in proportion to our efforts. A few weeks, I wanted to throw that puppy out the window. In the MWL group, Mark Cooper always comments to not get hung up on a number, but to focus on the habits and consistency --- along with the be kind to yourself, etc. Also, below is from March 2020 MWL thread:

JeffN wrote:First, remember that we are in this for a long-term solution that you can live with and live well with, not short term weight loss. Some of you have set goals that, based on averages, are most likely unrealistic. The most important goal is adherence to the program and the guidelines. That will produce your best chance for success. In regard to weight, the average loss, over time, is about 1% of your current weight per week. You will most likely lose more in the beginning, if you are male, if you are under under 50 and if you are taller. The numbers just tend to work in your favor.

Wishing you the best and hope you have a wonderful 4th weekend!
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Artista » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:53 pm

Hi Stephanie! :)

Thank you so much for sharing those thoughts with me. I loved your gratitude story and I completely agree with what you wrote about Time & Adherence and being kind to ourselves. I'm over 50, female, and on the short side, so the numbers aren't working in my favor and it will just take time. But time is what I have, I'm not going anywhere and I'm not planning on changing how I eat once I lose weight or lower my cholesterol. I really love the myopic tortoise metaphor. I'm going to see if I can find that Dr Lisle talk and listen to it. That's exactly the mindset I need to have, to focus on adherence to the guidelines and not get distracted by anything else.
Artista

Postby Artista » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:21 pm

What I ate today:

3 a.m.: apple
Breakfast: cantaloupe, arugula, oat groats, blueberries, strawberries
Snack: 2 figs
Lunch: raw veg, steamed veg (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, kale, collards), sweet potato, chickpeas
Dinner: salad, cannellini beans, green beans, arugula, 1/2 sweet potato

Exercise: 30 minutes jogging on mini-trampoline
Meditation: None
MWL 10-point checklist: 10/10
BP: 128/75

My doctor asked me to see the dietician who works with them. Their practice recommends a plant-based diet. She took my blood pressure when I got there and it was 194/92! :shock: Other than that, we had a great visit and she told me i was doing everything right. It was very encouraging and confirming. She took my BP again when I was ready to leave and it was 128/75. I knew my BP would go up if I was stressed or nervous but I didn't know it would go up that much. She said it was White Coat Syndrome and didn't seem concerned. We decided to recheck my cholesterol in 6 months and see where I am. If it's still too high then I'll get a CT Calcium Scan. If it looks good then they won't recommend medication. If the results aren't good, then they'll want me to think about taking cholesterol lowering medication. I'm feeling optimistic. :) I love this way of eating and this journey I am on.
Artista

Postby Ruff » Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:31 pm

wow! That is some white coat syndrome! Im glad it came down after!

I had my BP taken once and it was really high. I had been having a bad stressful day and I had forgotten a doctors appointment. I realised with about 2 minutes to spare, my neighbour across the road ran across to mind the kids and I jumped on my bike and peddled like mad! I got there about 5 minutes late but they were running a few minutes behind, and I went straight in. And they took my blood pressure immediately.....I was still panting from the mad bike dash! Needles to say my BP was sky high! :D

I hope the McDouall way will bring it even lower over time. Good luck
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby Artista » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:44 pm

What I ate today:

Breakfast: green tea, cantaloupe, arugula, oat groats, cannelinni beans, figs, strawberries
Snack: green beans
Lunch: cherries, raw sugar snap peas, steamed cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, arugula, chickpeas, sweet potato
Snacks: apple
Dinner: grapes, salad, potatoes, chickpeas
Snack: banana nice cream

Exercise: 38 min. brisk walking
MWL 10-point checklist 10/10
Meditation: 20 min.
BP: 114/66
Artista

Postby Artista » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:33 pm

Day 38, What I ate today:

Breakfast:green tea, cantaloupe, oat groats, 1/2 peach, strawberries
Snack: banana
Lunch: raw tomatoes, lentils, chilis, tomatoes, onion, garlic, 1/2 sweet potato, Normandy style vegetables
Snack: mango
Dinner: apple, potatoes, chickpeas, salad vegetables

MWL 10 point checklist: 10/10
Exercise: 45 minutes brisk walking
Meditation: 20 minutes
BP: 118/72
Artista

Postby Artista » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:45 pm

Day 39, what I ate today:

Breakfast: green tea, cantaloupe slice, arugula, oat groats, cannellini beans, blueberries, 1/2 peach
Snack: apple
Lunch: raw veg, veg soup with lentils & potato
Snack: fruit, sweet potato
Dinner: raw veg, veg soup with lentils & corn

Exercise: none
MWL 10 point checklist: 9/10
Meditation: 20 min,
BP: 114/65
Artista

Postby Ruff » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:21 pm

I finally decided to find out what arugula was. :D I keep seeing you eating it and I thought...I really need to know what this is!

Well its rocket! Ha! who knew! I have arugula growing in my garden and I never knew. :D
Katie

Ruff

Postby squealcat » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:17 pm

I had to laugh when I read what Ruff said. I, myself always wondered what rocket was ! Now we all know !
:lol:

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Artista » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:09 pm

Ruff wrote:I finally decided to find out what arugula was. :D I keep seeing you eating it and I thought...I really need to know what this is!

Well its rocket! Ha! who knew! I have arugula growing in my garden and I never knew. :D

squealcat wrote:I had to laugh when I read what Ruff said. I, myself always wondered what rocket was ! Now we all know !
:lol:

-squealcat

I had to laugh too, I forget that it’s called rocket! :lol: I love it lightly steamed. Katie, do you eat it from your garden? I should try growing it since I eat it so often. I know it grows here because I’ve been buying it at the Farmer’s Market. I started eating it because it’s high in calcium but not high in oxalates. :cool:
Artista

Postby Artista » Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:04 pm

Day 40, what I ate today:

Breakfast: green tea, cantaloupe, arugula (aka rocket :-D ), oats, strawberries, apricot
Lunch: Normandy style vegetables w/kale & collards, potato, lentil-veg soup, apple
Snack: tomatoes, lentil-veg soup
Dinner: mango, Normandy style veg w/kale & collards, chickpeas

Exercise: 50 minutes brisk walking
MWL 10 point checklist: 9/10 (forgot to preload at lunch)
Meditation: no

I had a class from 7-10 am this morning so I ended up skipping meditation. I think it will be a good class I just need to plan better to make sure I get everything in that I need to.

It’s been harder lately staying with the program. I’m not sure why it is that sometimes it’s easy-breezy, love the food, love how I feel, no problem at all, and other times it’s just more challenging to make the right choices every day. I’m not giving up though. :)
Artista

Postby squealcat » Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:22 pm

Yes, Artista, some days I think :"I can do this forever !!" and the next day: " I am tired of this. What can I eat that is different? " I have found that plain, regular food almost always makes me happy and usually it is potatoes , salad, oatmeal. fruit and steamed veggies. Once in a while I just think I need something different but if I eat the plain, I am still just fine. Sometimes I make a recipe but usually I freeze half of it because I just want to go back to the plain.

You are doing great, by the way ! I am going to get groceries tomorrow and plan to get arugula (rocket :) ) to ad to my salad.

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby Artista » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:32 pm

squealcat wrote:Yes, Artista, some days I think :"I can do this forever !!" and the next day: " I am tired of this. What can I eat that is different? " I have found that plain, regular food almost always makes me happy and usually it is potatoes , salad, oatmeal. fruit and steamed veggies. Once in a while I just think I need something different but if I eat the plain, I am still just fine. Sometimes I make a recipe but usually I freeze half of it because I just want to go back to the plain.

You are doing great, by the way ! I am going to get groceries tomorrow and plan to get arugula (rocket :) ) to ad to my salad.

-squealcat

Hi sqealcat! :) I eat lots of plain food too. Plain baked Japanese sweet potatoes are one of my favorites. Today was an easy day, everything just flowed. Whew, I needed one of those days. I hope you enjoy the rocket/arugula. I like that peppery smell that fresh arugula has. I’ve eaten it raw before and to me it’s a little bitter. Steaming it lightly takes the bitterness out, but lots of people like it raw so it could be just me.
Artista

Postby Artista » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:16 pm

Day 41, What I ate today:

Breakfast: green tea, cantaloupe, oatmeal, blueberries, cannellini beans
Lunch: grapes, large salad, chickpeas, 1/2 Japanese sweet potato
Dinner: raw cherry tomatoes, steamed Brussels sprouts & green beans, lentil-vegetable soup, 1/2 Japanese sweet potato

Exercise: 40 minutes yoga
MWL 10-point checklist 10/10
Meditation: 20 minutes

I had a really good day today. I ran into friends at the farmers market and enjoyed visiting with them. After that, I met with my art critique group and had a great time talking about art. Art is a solitary occupation and it’s so valuable to have these substantive connections with others. And things flowed really well in following the MWL program. It just felt right today. I’m learning that, if I just hang in there through the tough days, the boat will eventually right itself and the sun will shine again.
Last edited by Artista on Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Artista

Postby Ruff » Thu Jul 07, 2022 2:42 pm

we normally eat the rocket raw, in salad, and yes, it is quite bitter. But occasionally I wander round the garden looking for green things to toss into a stir fry or whatever. We have rocket, silver beet, and various asian leaves growing everywhere. Also miners lettuce which I love picked fresh, and put raw under soup or stew so that it just wilts in the heat. yum. We eat a lot of miners lettuce in winter as it likes the cold and damp and self seeds and grows everywhere in my garden in winter.

I found the tough days have faded over the years, now they are just the obvious, Christmas, anniversaries....and worst of all...other people making special vegan baking because they knew I was coming....
Hang on in there through the tough times, and eat your favourite 'on plan' food, and this too will pass.
Katie

Ruff

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals