Alice's journal - start with 10 days

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Alice's journal - start with 10 days

Postby AlicefromBelgium » Tue May 31, 2022 12:31 pm

Hello to all of you,

While I don't really have weight to lose (maybe 1 or 2 kilo but that's it). I feel I eat too much junk food and processed snacks.
I'd like to follow the program at least 10 days to see how I feel.

My main pitfalls are the cereals and cookies. Available at home because my husband eats them and there are no possibilities to avoid that so I need to have good alternatives and not be hungry.

In addition to that I tend to eat soy yogurt and soy milk but I believe that is quite ok when there is no weight to lose ?

So starting day tomorrow. Please do not hesitate to comment and provide feedback. I am open to learn :-D
AlicefromBelgium

Re: Alice's journal - start with 10 days

Postby Artista » Tue May 31, 2022 9:38 pm

Hi Alice! That would be difficult to have people in your home who eat differently from you, but there are people here who do it and are successful. Hopefully one of them will stop by and give you some helpful suggestions. Keeping a food journal here on the forum if that's what you're planning on doing, will be a great way to get helpful feedback and encouragement from others on how you're eating. Wishing you much success! :)
Artista

Postby AlicefromBelgium » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:44 am

Thanks a lot Artista ! I hope to be successfull. At least most of the time.

It is Day 1 and I must say I am a little bit nervous this will be too challenging... but one day at a time right ?
Today I am working at home and nothing special foreseen so it should be easy. I'll go buy strawberries when I have a break later on.

I wish you all a great day.
AlicefromBelgium

Postby AlicefromBelgium » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:40 am

Just went to the grocery store to buy fruits.
I was VERY tempted by the vegan ice cream Ben & Jerry and didn't buy it so quite proud of myself.
What I don't buy, I won't eat !
AlicefromBelgium

Postby Ejeff » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:05 am

Hi Alice.

I don’t really have weight to lose either. My spouse doesn’t eat like me. One thing that can be helpful is to have your husband keep the cookies and cereal in a very high cupboard or somewhere that you will not see it. If you don’t see it you won’t be as tempted. The best and easiest substitute for cereal is oatmeal. So that’s it ready just like cereal would be, cook a batch and store in serving sized containers, then just pop into microwave. Instant breakfast or snack! I usually add frozen blueberries to mine. If you need sweetener you could add a banana or some dates or raisins. Another option is overnight oats, these are not cooked, but ready to eat right out of the fridge. They are actually easier than cereal. :-D

In regards to the cookies, bake some with just 3 ingredients, oats, banana and cinnamon. Always have some in the freezer. After eating this way for 7.5 years I find it is important to have these healthy alternatives readily available.

Congratulations on making the choice to improve your health, I wish you great success.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby AlicefromBelgium » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:43 pm

Oh thank you Erin for your message. I think you’re right, I do need to have healthier alternatives.
I already have the chocolate and peanut butter in a container very high (I need a chair to grab it).
I think I will prepare overnight oats tonight so that I have it ready for the next days.
Do you prepare it with water then ? I have used soy milk until now but I am a little bit confused with what is “allowed”.

I think today was a good day. In any case I am happy I was not hungry.

Mid-morning snack: raw tomatoes + air-fried chickpeas
Lunch: boiled potatoes, steamed spinach, green peas + strawberries
Afternoon snack: brown rice, banana, a splash of soy milk, cinnamon
Diner: giant salad with cucumber, watermelon, chickpeas, greens + 1 orange and 2 dried figs (well better than a cookie right)
Exercise: 1 hour bike ride

I am not sure about the rule “Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit” when the meal is already so healthy :?:
AlicefromBelgium

Postby AlicefromBelgium » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:32 am

Hellooooo !

Well let's go for Day 2 :cool:

I am working a half day today. In the afternoon I'll probably go for a walk because the sun shines and I want to enjoy it.

Tonight we have a "golf initiation" with my husband's employeer. It is quite early and it will be followed by a "aperitief diner" in other words alcohol and appetizers :\
I think I'll eat a real meal just before going and try to stick with sparkling water and if available raw veggies... I'll do my best
AlicefromBelgium

Postby Artista » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:21 pm

Hi Alice,

It looks like you’re doing great so far. Good job passing up the Ben & Jerry’s! That was one of my pitfalls back in the day.

You were asking about soy milk. Do you have the book The Starch Solution? In it Dr. McDougall writes specifically about soy foods:

“Enjoy traditional soy foods, like soy milk and tofu, as a small part of your diet—no more than 5 percent of your calories, or about 2 ounces per day. These foods aren’t necessary for good health, but they do add richness and variety without the hazards of vegetable oils and animal foods.

Avoid synthetic an highly processed soy products, like soy burgers, soy sausage, soy bacon, soy cheese, and soy-based protein powders and energy bars.”

People who are trying to lose weight may want to avoid soy products because of the higher fat content. But if you’re happy with your weight, then you should be able to enjoy a little soy milk if it’s not more than 5% or your total calories.

The principle of starting each meal with a soup or salad is used in the Maximum Weight Loss Plan because it helps lower the overall calorie density of the meal. If you're not trying to lose weight by following the MLW Plan, then it's not required to start a meal with soup or salad.

The Starch Solution book is a great resource, also”The Color Picture Book”, which is available to view for free on the McDougall website. It explains in a simple, concise way which foods are recommended, which are allowed, and what to avoid completely.

Hope that helps! :)
Artista

Postby AlicefromBelgium » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:29 pm

Thanks ! Yes it helps a lot !

I listened to the starch solution on audible 2 or 3 years ago. I still have it on my app, so I will listen to it a second time.

My Day 2 was good. As foreseen the food at the golf initiation was not compliant at all. There was one choice vegan but with a lot of oil and bread. So I am happy I had eaten before and didn't feel the need to eat there.

Mid-morning snack: overnight oats with carrots, cinnamon, kiwis
Lunch: steamed potatoes, spinach, asparagus + chickpeas + strawberries
Early diner: steamed potatoes + tomatoes, concomber, chickpeas + 1 banana
Night snack: veggie soup and raw carrots

:-D
AlicefromBelgium

Postby Ejeff » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:11 am

Great going Alice to eat before the golf event! Even if you don’t have weight to lose, it’s not a bad habit to start a meal with a vegetable first. Who can’t use more vegetables right? A few raw carrots, bell pepper, or some cherry tomatoes are a couple options.

I don’t make over night oats often as I usually prefer oats warm. As Artista mentioned, soy milk is allowed. If you don’t want to buy soy milk as often you could try making the overnight oats with just water and compare to see how you enjoy them. Or go even 50/50, half milk and half water. Make sure you check the ingredient list on the milk you are buying as many have additives which are not great. Try to find one that is made from only water and soybeans.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby AlicefromBelgium » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:22 pm

Hi Ejeff,

Yes I do like raw veggies so that doesn't feel difficult.
I did make the overnight oats 50/50 soy milk and water this time and it's less creamy. But with fruits on top that's ok.

Today was Day 3 and it was not as perfect as the two first ones but compared to the junk food I sometimes eat (ate?) I still feel proud of my day. I was hungrier earlier in the day than usual so I too a real breakfast.

Breakfast: overnight oats with grated carrots, cinnamon and banana
Lunch: steamed potatoes, spinach, green peas and pepper + grapes + 2 small cookies
mid-afternoon snack: strawberries + a handful cereals (but I successfully stopped myself)
Diner: vegetable soup + quinoa, asparagus, green peas + watermelon

I felt some urges for snacks after diner but I think it is an habit. I had eaten enough. I made some herbal tea and now it is gone 8)
AlicefromBelgium

Postby AlicefromBelgium » Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:35 pm

Day 4 already !

mid-morning snack: strawberries
lunch: steamed potatoes & spinach, grilled zuchini and chickpeas + a handful of cereal
exercise: 3km swim
mid-afternoon snack: overnight oats, grated carrots, cinnamon, banana
diner: raw tomatoes, buckwheat noodles, carrots, sugar snap peas, mushrooms + strawberries and a small piece of chocolate

Today was more difficult.
My husband went to the market in the morning and brought back fresh bread, cheese, all sorts of oily spread for the lunch (my kids and him ate that). Then they also had an ice-cream (not vegan, regular) after diner. I had the cereals and chocolate to compensate I think. It was not hunger but I don't want to feel restricted and I felt I also needed a threat.

It is ok now, I am still proud of my day. Week-end will always be like that since I am the only one at home who wants to eat this way. Fortunately we all eat the same for diner, it is just lunch and snacks that are not the same.
AlicefromBelgium

Postby AlicefromBelgium » Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:17 pm

Day 5. Completely disappointed with myself. :crybaby:

Morning: oats, 50/50 soy milk/water, cinnamon, banana
Exercise: 9km run
Lunch: steamed potatoes, grilles zucchini and chickpeas
Afternoon: binge on bread, cereals and peanut butter
Diner: raw tomatoes, steamed asparagus + strawberries

I binged simply because I followed the urge to binge. This is not more complicated than that. This kind of food will always exist in my house and I want to learn to manage that fact. I should have gone for fruit or oats again if this was a question of sweet tooth. Or just let the urge be and not act on it. It was not real hunger in any case.

But done is done. Compassion is my friend and tomorrow will be better. At least I did not continued to binge for diner. I was not hungry at all anymore (obviously) so I just ate the veggies in order to share the diner with my family (didn’t want to explain myself and admit my binge to the kids).
AlicefromBelgium

Postby Ejeff » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:26 am

Alice, it’s very good you got right back on track at dinner. Another thing that might help is to try and go back in your mind and understand why you did binge a bit. Were you feeling bored? Did something make you anxious? Was your lunch not satisfying?

I’ve been a McDougaller for 7.5 years and I still binge from time to time. It’s always a bit disappointing, but the most important thing is just get right back on track which is what you did. :-D

Erin
Ejeff

Postby Daydream » Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:47 am

Alice, on another thread you asked where Dr. Lisle's lectures were. Here are some:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/?s=Lisle
Daydream

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals