Starflower’s Journey to Health

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Starflower’s Journey to Health

Postby Starflower » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:58 am

It’s the first day of my MWL journey. I joined the MWL thread and got rid of all the problem foods in my house yesterday. I’m starting this journal to record what I eat and what works for me. One goal is to lose about 10 pounds. My most important goal is to choose a WOE I can live with and make it a natural part of my life for good.

Breakfast was a banana, then a 50/50 bowl of carrots and peas. The peas didn’t have enough starch to keep me full until lunch. I got hungry pretty fast, so I’m having an earlier lunch.

Lunch was vegetable soup, then a 50/50 bowl of steamed vegetables with potatoes. It felt like a LOT of food.

Dinner is an apple, then the rest of the vegetable soup with lentils and potatoes added to get to 50/50.

Exercise was a 30 minute walk with light hand weights.
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Re: Starflower’s Journey to Health

Postby AlicefromBelgium » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:37 am

Hello Starflower

I also feel I eat really a lot of food on this WOE but I find this is cool.
I was not in the mood for soup with the summer coming but when reading your post you'right to include it. I will make some.

I wish you a good day :)
AlicefromBelgium

Postby Starflower » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:30 am

Thank you. I wish you a good day, as well!
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:46 am

I was too full after meals yesterday. It caused GERD to get bad. I’ll try several small meals today to see if that is better.

Green beans, and 50/50 roasted Brussels sprouts and oats

Carrots, and 50/50 roasted corn and carrot salad

Carrots, and bowl of about equal green beans, roasted corn and black beans

Banana and watermelon, and a plate of beets, corn and black beans

Some corn for a snack

Walked for 30 minutes with light hand weights
Last edited by Starflower on Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby JeffN » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:56 am

Welcome and my best

You are learning some important things.

Two comments...

1) Peas and corn are considered starchy vegetables but don’t contain enough starch to really counts as a main starch. Everything is a continuum and it turns out that peas, corn, and winter squash, are on the cusp between vegetables and starch in regard to the % starch and calorie density to be counted as a main starch. They may work for some but not for most people. Best to make whole grains (oats, buckwheat, rice, etc), potatoes (sweet, white, red, etc) and legumes the main starch.

2) The 50/50 plate is a guideline to help you eat better, lower the overall calorie density and help manage your weight. You may find that 75/25 (starch to veggies) by visual volume) or 66/33 works better for you. Or maybe the 50/50. The guidelines is really, make "up to 50%" of your plate non starchy vegetables.

Jeff
JeffN

Postby Starflower » Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:16 am

Hello Jeff,

Thank you for explaining that! Those are some of my favorites, so it’s nice to know where they belong in my meals.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:57 am

Starflower wrote:Hello Jeff,

Thank you for explaining that! Those are some of my favorites, so it’s nice to know where they belong in my meals.

And also for explaining that the plate can have more starch. That really helps. Thank you again. My best to you, as well!
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:56 am

Having more and smaller meals helped with the GERD, but not completely.

Banana, then a plate of carrots and brown rice with some capers

Beets, then a plate of bean pasta and roasted zucchini, banana

Zucchini, then brown rice and string beans

Spinach, then whole grain pasta and squash with nutritional yeast

30 minute walk with light hand weights

===================

6/1/22 - 6/3/22 MWL thread post

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes, except for one snack.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes. I mistakenly used sweet corn as my 50% starch at first, but Jeff left a note explaining that doesn’t work for most people. Adding a heavier starch worked.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes.

4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). I never eat these.

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes.

6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes.

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). I only had water, coffee and tea with nothing in them.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. The first day I tried to fit all my food into three meals, but I was too full. Eating small amounts more often worked better.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). 30 minutes of walking daily

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Thank you for welcoming me to the group! I only started MWL on Wednesday, and I’m surprised to feel improvement in just a few days. I enjoy the food and the simple guidelines.Thank you for the support and guidance here!

Question: Does the first guideline apply to snacks, or can a snack be just a piece of fruit or some raw vegetables?

Mark’s answer:

Mark Cooper wrote:Regarding the question about snacks:

As Jeff discusses in the quote below, the application of the recommendations may require some situational judgement, but the more recommendations one follows, the greater the benefit.
JeffN wrote:The MWL guidelines are guidelines, not black and white rules and are based on the principles of calorie density, satiety, fiber/kcal, food form, chewing, etc. etc. The more you do, the more you can benefit.

Starting meals with a soup, salad and/or fruit, helps to lower the overall calorie density of the meal and increase the overall satiety. This helps to decrease the overall caloric intake without giving up any weight or volume of food, which usually increase. Hence the saying, eat more, weigh less. Eat more food in volume/weight while eating less calories. Some will start with huge salads and/or soups, some will have small ones. Some have both, some have none. It is a guideline but all based on the science of pre-loading. Fruit is included because it works better for breakfast for many. However, many people like “savory” breakfast and have oatmeal with vegetables.

While using these as a pre-load work, they also work as part of the meal (50/50 plate) which is based on the science of dilution. Some may end up needing to do both to hit their goals, same may need to do one or the other.

This is probably MOST important when faced with a plateau or some other instance where results are lacking, so it might make sense to assess one's actions within the context of the results you are experiencing.

The situational context matters, too; I recognize that there will be occasions where a simple snack feels more appropriate than assembling a full "meal" with preload, 50/50 plate, &c. Likewise, in some situations the most important thing may be choosing whatever adherent food is most likely to help one avoid choosing a non-adherent item within the context of that given moment. Does that make sense?

Speaking personally, if I were going to have a snack, I would do my best to make it something that satisfied the 50/50 recommendation, for all the reasons Jeff mentions in the quote below. I think one important, but sometimes overlooked, aspect of making MWL work is to be very sure to include adequate starch throughout the day, so making snacks 50/50 can really help with that.
JeffN wrote:
slugmom wrote:So ... if optimizing weight loss is my goal ... and I'm legitimately hungry, or really munchy and want a snack ... which would be better? Popcorn? Fruit?

IMH(P&P)O, and based on calorie density, of the two, I would say fruit. However, vegetables would be a better choice and/or a meal of 50% starch and 50% vegetables (and/or fruit) by volume. A meal of 50% starch and 50% vegetables by volume would have a very low calorie density. So, a bowl of 50% oatmeal and 50% berries by volume or a bowl of 50% rice and 50% veggies by volume may be the better choice. You get the starch to help satisfy you and the fruit and/or veggies to help lower the calorie density.
. . .

Remember, this is not a vegetables based diet but a starch based diet. Diluting the starches with vegetables and/or fruit to lower the calorie density is the best solution.
Last edited by Starflower on Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby AlicefromBelgium » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:27 pm

Hello Starflower,

I am not able to reply to your question as I am a beginner myself.
I love bean pasta, I should make it more often. Also adding capers to carrots and rice is nice (it was a cold rice salad then I suppose).

You seem to do great. Success with the week-end ahead :)
AlicefromBelgium

Postby Starflower » Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:40 pm

AlicefromBelgium wrote:Hello Starflower,

I am not able to reply to your question as I am a beginner myself.
I love bean pasta, I should make it more often. Also adding capers to carrots and rice is nice (it was a cold rice salad then I suppose).

You seem to do great. Success with the week-end ahead :)

The pasta was lentil, pea and cauliflower. It was very good. Wishing you a successful weekend, too!
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:31 am

No food until an early lunch today.

Restaurant lunch was tossed salad no dressing, pasta and steamed vegetable with no oil. I ordered gluten free pasta so it would be whole grain. They always served brown rice pasta for their gluten free option there, but it didn’t taste like it. I’m not sure if I had whole grain or not.

Snack of spinach and squash

Roasted Brussels sprouts, then mashed potatoes with more of the sprouts

Missed walk today
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:31 am

(Yesterday was 10/10 of the MWL checklist.)

Snow peas, mixed Asian vegetables and roasted corn

Carrots, steamed broccoli and mashed potatoes

Carrots, brown rice and more carrots

30 minute walk with light hand weights
Last edited by Starflower on Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby AlicefromBelgium » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:14 pm

You're doing great !!

And this is no nice you can have something without oil at a restaurant. I would not dare to ask this in my country. Already asking for vegan food is complicated...
AlicefromBelgium

Postby Starflower » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:22 pm

AlicefromBelgium wrote:You're doing great !!

And this is no nice you can have something without oil at a restaurant. I would not dare to ask this in my country. Already asking for vegan food is complicated...

I just ordered a dish that was all vegetables and asked for steamed with no sauce. It was plain, but it worked and tasted good. It was an Asian restaurant, so it was easy for them to do.

I read in your journal what you said about bingeing. It’s hard to resist favorite foods. Having compassion for yourself is a good idea. Nobody is perfect!
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby VegSeekingFit » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:29 pm

Hi Starflower! :-D

You are so right that nobody is perfect!!! Best lesson I have learned on the MWL thread... Treat yourself with compassion...

If you eat of the "non-MWL" foods, just make the next bite compliant. One step at a time.

I hope that you are doing well and hanging in there. Let us know if we can help. Many folks here will help!!!

Take care,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals