Starflower’s Journey to Health

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Starflower’s Journey to Health

Postby Starflower » Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:30 am

I read some of the things Mark Cooper linked to in his new December thread. A 10 point checklist for the regular McDougall program was linked in one of the posts. I’m going to use this checklist daily and keep reading all the super information on this forum.

10-Point Checklist for The McDougall Program

1) Fill your plate so that 70 - 90% of your plate (by visual volume) is filled with minimally processed starches (brown rice, oats, sweet potato, quinoa).

2) Fill the remaining 10 - 30% of your plate with minimally processed fruits and non-starchy vegetables.

3) Eliminate all animal foods (i.e., dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).

4) Eliminate the intake of fake meats and cheeses as most are highly processed, high fat and made with isolated proteins and oil.

5) Eliminate any added oil.

6) Limit your intake of all higher-fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy) unless you are trying to gain weight.

7) Limit added sugars and added salts. This also includes gourmet sugars and salts. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.

8 ) Avoid liquid calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). When thirsty, drink water.

9) Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.

10) Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of daily moderate exercise (i.e., brisk walking).
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:35 pm

Today was close for the 10 points. I had a few small meals and snacks. Tea with unsweetened soy milk, unsweetened cocoa, 2 bananas, spaghetti, lettuce, mashed potato, 5 or 6 corn tortillas, fat-free refried beans, carrots, navy beans, green beans, mustard and nutritional yeast. When the soy milk is gone, I won’t replace it. Judging when I’m full is a work in progress.

1) 70 - 90% of plate (by visual volume) is minimally processed starches. YES

2) 10 - 30% of plate is minimally processed fruits and non-starchy vegetables. YES

3) Eliminate all animal foods (i.e., dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES

4) Eliminate fake meats and cheeses. YES

5) Eliminate any added oil. YES

6) Limit intake of all higher-fat plant foods. YES (a cup of soy milk and a tablespoon of cocoa powder)

7) Limit added sugars and added salts. YES ( some salt in fat-free refried beans, soy milk)

8 ) Avoid liquid calories. NO (soy milk in tea)

9) Eat whenever hungry until comfortably full. NO (too full after lunch)

10) 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise. YES (walking and stretching)
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:09 pm

Starflower wrote:Today was close for the 10 points. I had a few small meals and snacks. Tea with unsweetened soy milk, unsweetened cocoa, 2 bananas, spaghetti, lettuce, mashed potato, 5 or 6 corn tortillas, fat-free refried beans, carrots, navy beans, green beans, mustard and nutritional yeast. When the soy milk is gone, I won’t replace it. Judging when I’m full is a work in progress.

Oooh I like your foods for the day. I also have issues with knowing when I'm full, and found that chewing every bite throughly, and putting down my fork between bites helps slow me down a little bit.

Keep going, looks like you're doing great!
Last edited by bunsofaluminum on Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Starflower » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:54 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:
Starflower wrote:Today was close for the 10 points. I had a few small meals and snacks. Tea with unsweetened soy milk, unsweetened cocoa, 2 bananas, spaghetti, lettuce, mashed potato, 5 or 6 corn tortillas, fat-free refried beans, carrots, navy beans, green beans, mustard and nutritional yeast. When the soy milk is gone, I won’t replace it. Judging when I’m full is a work in progress.

Oooh I like your foods for the day. I also have issues with knowing when I'm full, and found that chewing every bite throughly, and putting down my fork between bites helps slow me down a little bit.

Keep going, looks like you're doing great!

Thank you! It’s nice to know I’m not alone having trouble with telling what full feels like. Slowing down might help. I’ll try that. Simple food is delicious, isn’t it? I’m enjoying eating this way!
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:02 pm

I had a few small meals and snacks again today. Tea with unsweetened soy milk, macaroni, white bean and vegetable soup, beets, spinach, mushrooms, mashed potato, corn tortillas, fat-free refried beans, mustard and nutritional yeast.

2) 10 - 30% of plate is minimally processed fruits and non-starchy vegetables. YES

3) Eliminate all animal foods. YES

6) Limit intake of all higher-fat plant foods. YES (a cup of soy milk)

7) Limit added sugars and added salts. YES ( some salt in fat-free refried beans, soy milk)

8 ) Avoid liquid calories. NO (soy milk in tea)

9) Eat whenever hungry until comfortably full. NO (better than yesterday)

10) 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise. YES (walking and stretching)
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby VegSeekingFit » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:43 pm

Hi Starflower!!! :-D :) :D

I love how you have incorporated Regular McD checklist into your journal!!! Pretty awesome!!!

Just wanted to stop by and say that you are doing great... just keep going!!!

Hope you have a fantastic week!!

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Starflower » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:18 pm

VegSeekingFit wrote:Hi Starflower!!! :-D :) :D

I love how you have incorporated Regular McD checklist into your journal!!! Pretty awesome!!!

Just wanted to stop by and say that you are doing great... just keep going!!!

Hope you have a fantastic week!!

Cheers,
Stephanie

Hi Stephanie! :-D

Nice to see you! Thanks for being so encouraging!

All of you in the MWL group do so well! I hope the regular program checklist will help me to do the same.

Have a wonderful week!
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:26 pm

Not a bad day. Tea, kidney beans, lentil and potato stew, carrots, peas, spinach, mashed potato, corn tortillas, rice crackers, mustard, sesame seeds and nutritional yeast. I finished the soy milk yesterday.

6) Limit intake of all higher-fat plant foods. YES (tofu, sesame seeds)

7) Limit added sugars and added salts. YES

8 ) Avoid liquid calories. YES

9) Eat whenever hungry until comfortably full. YES

10) 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise. NO (got busy and forgot until late)
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:32 pm

Tea, tofu, sesame seeds, carrots, peas, spinach, asparagus, rice, mashed potato, sweet potatoes, corn tortillas, spaghetti, rice crackers, and mustard. I had a small amount of fat-free candy, which was better than the bar of chocolate I would have eaten before, and the sweet potatoes had some sugar.

6) Limit intake of all higher-fat plant foods. YES (tofu, sesame seeds)

7) Limit added sugars and added salts. YES (about 2 tablespoons added sugar)

8 ) Avoid liquid calories. YES

10) 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise. YES
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:43 pm

I lost about 3 pounds last week. I’m very happy with that! I feel best closer to a 90%/10% ratio of starch to fruit and non-starchy vegetables.

6) Limit intake of all higher-fat plant foods. YES

8 ) Avoid liquid calories. NO (about an ounce of vegan eggnog, one beer)

10) 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise. NO (moderately active day)
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:36 pm

Hi Starflower!!! :-D

I think you will do great with the regular checklist!!! It works, yeah???

Just keep going!!! We are all rooting for you and you are doing amazing things!!!

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Starflower » Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:10 pm

VegSeekingFit wrote:Hi Starflower!!! :-D

I think you will do great with the regular checklist!!! It works, yeah???

Just keep going!!! We are all rooting for you and you are doing amazing things!!!

Cheers,
Stephanie

Hi Stephanie!

Heck yeah! It works! Thank you for your encouraging posts to me and many others on this forum. Your journal is amazing! The mouthwatering pictures and tons of inspiration are my go-to when enthusiasm gets a little dicey. Have a wonderful day!
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:12 pm

I got busy and forgot to post last night. I’m loving this way of eating! I cooked beans, soup, and some masa flour bread ahead for the week.

10-Point Checklist for The McDougall Program (yesterday)

8 ) Avoid liquid calories. NO (one serving of juice)

10) 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise. NO (very active day)

10-Point Checklist for The McDougall Program (today)

8 ) Avoid liquid calories. NO (one serving of juice, 3 ounces vegan eggnog)

10) 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise. YES
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Matcha » Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:16 pm

Hi Starflower! :-D
You are doing great! :thumbsup:
Matcha

Postby Starflower » Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:57 pm

Matcha wrote:Hi Starflower! :-D
You are doing great! :thumbsup:

Thanks, Matcha! :-D
- Wildgoose
Starflower

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals