Starflower’s Journey to Health

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Starflower’s Journey to Health

Postby SilverMtns » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:39 pm

Super curious about what masa bread is. I'll go google it, but if you have a link, that would be awesome. You're doing so great!
SilverMtns

Postby Starflower » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:07 pm

SilverMtns wrote:Super curious about what masa bread is. I'll go google it, but if you have a link, that would be awesome. You're doing so great!

Hi Silver!

Thanks! I just make a simple bread with equal parts masa and water mixed thoroughly, and sometimes two teaspoons of baking POWDER if I want to make it lighter. Usually it’s just the masa and water, two cups of each. I bake it in a bread pan at 350F for 40 minutes. That’s for a small convection oven. I’m not sure if you have to adjust it for a big oven. It’s very dense, like a very thick tortilla. You could use a cake pan instead to make it thinner. Onions, garlic, cooked beans, sweet corn, and diced peppers make good stir-in variations. I think most of the online recipes are steamed or boiled in wrappers, like tamales. If you don’t want a crust, cover the pan with foil, but don’t let it touch the dough.

Twenty-four days is great! Wishing you a wonderful week! :)

EDIT TO CHANGE BAKING SODA TO BAKING POWDER. SORRY FOR THE ERROR!
Last edited by Starflower on Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Sun Feb 05, 2023 7:27 pm

Today could have been better. Eating got out of hand because I decided to allow a feast day without setting clear guidelines for myself. It was an all-day celebration, and I ended up eating too much, some of it not compliant. I did manage to keep starch-based and no fake or animal foods. The liquid calories came from half of a beer. I got in about 35-40 minutes of aerobics and stretching.

10-Point Checklist for The McDougall Program (7/10)

1) 70 - 90% minimally processed starches. YES

2) 10 - 30% fruits/non-starchy vegetables. YES

3) Eliminate animal foods. YES

4) Eliminate fake meats and cheeses. YES

5) Eliminate added oil. NO

6) Limit intake of higher-fat plant foods. YES

7) Limit added sugars and salts. YES

8 ) Avoid liquid calories. NO

9) Eat when hungry until comfortably full. NO

10) 30 minutes of moderate exercise. YES
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:42 pm

Today was a little better. Planning is key, but I’m not very good at it yet. I’ll get there. For exercise, I did 30 minutes of aerobics.

10-Point Checklist for The McDougall Program (8/10)

8 ) Avoid liquid calories. YES

9) Eat when hungry until comfortably full. NO

- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:38 pm

Clearly, I need to make some environmental changes to avoid non-compliant foods. I know my family will help me with this. They are very supportive.

10-Point Checklist for The McDougall Program (9/10) (yesterday)

9) Eat when hungry until comfortably full. YES

10-Point Checklist for The McDougall Program (9/10) (today)

- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Wed Feb 15, 2023 2:33 pm

I didn’t keep a record of my compliance over the last several days. I’m still having some trouble with a few trigger foods, and amounts of higher-fat foods. I may need to cut them out entirely. I’m considering trying MWL again, or at least moving more in that direction.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:29 pm

Life happened again and I fell off of my exercise and cooking routine. Compliance has been spotty. I tend to need simple routines repeated daily.

10-Point Checklist for The McDougall Program (7/10)

5) Eliminate added oil. YES

6) Limit intake of higher-fat plant foods. NO

8 ) Avoid liquid calories. NO

10) 30 minutes of moderate exercise. NO
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:46 pm

After thinking about why I lose track of food, the common factor seems to be that when there are numerous things that need attention, health gets pushed aside. A simple and prepared-ahead meal plan should keep that from happening. Tomorrow morning I’ll make a large batch of mashed potatoes with vegetables for the fridge, and place salt-free canned vegetable soup out on the counter where I can see it. And set a reminder for exercise. No thinking required for the rest of the day! :)
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:17 pm

My plan worked beautifully! Having the mashed potatoes and vegetables, and canned vegetables and soup, ready to grab was what I needed to make staying on track easy. I’m sure this will work for me long term.

10-Point Checklist for The McDougall Program (10/10)

- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Ejeff » Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:41 am

Glad your plan worked! I used to do that quite often when working prepare food early in the day for later. I always have more energy early. It’s the same with me for exercising if I do it earlier I tend to be more consistent with it.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:09 am

Hi Starflower!!! :-D

Awesome that having simple food ready helped!!!

I love to keep batches of roasted potatoes and veggies or pots of brown rice handy --- so making a meal is quick, easy, and requires no thought!!! :lol:

Not sure if this idea would help you, but my buddy has found a ton of success by eating mainly potatoes and veggies (fresh or frozen) and just keeping it super simple.

Wishing you a wonderful weekend!!!

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Starflower » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:36 pm

Ejeff wrote:Glad your plan worked! I used to do that quite often when working prepare food early in the day for later. I always have more energy early. It’s the same with me for exercising if I do it earlier I tend to be more consistent with it.

Erin

Thank you, Erin! The fewer choices I have to make, the better. It’s reassuring to know a similar plan worked for someone who has succeeded long-term!
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:58 pm

VegSeekingFit wrote:Hi Starflower!!! :-D

Awesome that having simple food ready helped!!!

I love to keep batches of roasted potatoes and veggies or pots of brown rice handy --- so making a meal is quick, easy, and requires no thought!!! :lol:

Not sure if this idea would help you, but my buddy has found a ton of success by eating mainly potatoes and veggies (fresh or frozen) and just keeping it super simple.

Wishing you a wonderful weekend!!!

Best,
Stephanie

Hi Stephanie! :)

That sounds tasty! Your friend’s plan looks close to what is working for me, just adding some nuts, beans and masa products. That’s a good plan if I need to simplify it more. Thank you!

Wishing you a wonderful weekend, too!
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:08 pm

Today was a successful day. I followed my plan from yesterday, eating mashed potatoes, vegetables, and masa bread and tortillas with some split peas. I decided to limit my higher-fat foods to one serving of walnuts and a little soy. I plan to eliminate rice for now, because I tend to overeat it with toppings, and don’t like it plain.

10-Point Checklist for The McDougall Program (10/10)

- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby Starflower » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:06 pm

This is a very helpful post in the Time & Adherence group regarding adherence fatigue. I’m interested to see the responses to Mark’s question. It’s one of my difficulties.

https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=62387&view=unread#p633840
- Wildgoose
Starflower

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals