SilverMtns Daily Food Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Day 4

Postby SilverMtns » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:31 am

We have another coffeeshop nearby without hills, and since it rained last night, we did that one. I call that the buzz walk. Google says it's 1.2 miles round trip -- longer, but flatter. Later, we did a bunch of shopping, and then a three-quarter-mile round trip to a meeting, then maybe another half mile for impromptu dinner out. My heart is palpitating a little today, but not bad. Feeling better than yesterday. Had lots of fiber yesterday and I think my body is getting used to it. I had a little dried mango on my way out the door (I need to not exercise first thing in the morning on an empty stomach with my blood sugar issues) and that helped compared to Wednesday. Had much more energy.

Going shopping today. The recipes I'm gonna make from the Forks planner this week are cabbage roll soup; vegetable and fruit ceviche; black bean and corn quesadillas; and green bean stir-fry.

Today's food
  • dried mango
  • cup of white tea (no sugar/milk)
  • glass of soymilk
  • vegan gluten-free blondie at the coffee shop. It was terrible. I took one bite. :thumbsdown:
  • rice crackers
  • watermelon soda
  • leftovers (potato/carrot mash, "paella" rice mix) with salsa
  • borscht
  • restaurant meal: iced tea (no sugar); salad (lettuce, mandarin oranges, onion, avocado) with salt/pepper and about a teaspoon of teriyaki sauce
  • dried mango & 3 raw walnuts
  • half a peach
  • baked oatmeal
SilverMtns

Day 5

Postby SilverMtns » Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:57 am

Woke up at 6am with no alarm, full of energy. Nice. My back had its moments today, but we got a bit of walking in. I had a stressful morning and didn't react by going and getting fried stuff at the drive-through.

Tomorrow I will be doing the weekend prep work for the Forks Meal Planner foods. I like that they list out prep tasks so that the actual cooking will be easier/quicker.

Today's food
  • baked oatmeal
  • seitan with bbq sauce, leftover potato/carrot mash (I made a LOT of that stuff!)
  • a bite of my husband's homemade poptart (not compliant) and a handful of roasted chana (compliant)
  • rice crackers and hummus
  • Heinz baked beans
  • dried mango
  • Ezekiel toast with hummus and broccoli microgreens
  • saltwater taffy

Body stuff
My back is a bit stiff and sore today, but otherwise, I'm doing well. Not much in the way of palpitations so far. Can't find the charger for my glucometer right now, so I don't know my FBG, but I'll check it tomorrow.
SilverMtns

Day 6

Postby SilverMtns » Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:39 am

Had to order a new charger cord for my glucometer. I had it last week, but I can't find it. So no idea what my FBG is this past few days.

Took the last of the carrot/potato mash, added a grated onion, some flour/salt/pepper, and some soymilk, formed them into patties, and they're cooking in a 400-degree oven right now. We'll see how that goes [edit: a little too salty. Like I said upthread, things start being a bit too salty for me after a while with less salt, so I'll have to be more careful about dialing back the salt]

Today's food
  • Ezekiel toast with hummus and broccoli microgreens
  • tea with sugar and soymilk
  • kimchi soup with unfried ramen noodles (added shrimp to my husband's but not to mine)
  • three walnuts (I don't do portions for the most part, but when I want nuts, I let myself have 3 and then if I want more I can have more. I don't usually want more)
  • potato patties with ketchup
  • bowl of strawberries and mango chunks
  • salad (mixed salad greens, broccoli microgreens, roasted chana, balsamic reduction)

Food prepped for this week's Forks meal plan
  • brown rice
  • chopped onions (red and yellow)
  • minced garlic
  • chopped (green) and sliced (red/orange) bell peppers

Body stuff
Husband had a SAD attack last night (i.e. he had indigestion from too many hot dogs and it woke him up looking for the tums and pepto) so I didn't sleep all the way through the night, but I still woke up this morning feeling good. Back is a little less sore (but that comes and goes, not sure it's a long-term thing) and my joint inflammation is lower than normal today. I know it will get even better once I am on this food for a while and even moreso when I cut back the sugar, but I can already tell the difference.
Last edited by SilverMtns on Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:15 pm, edited 8 times in total.
SilverMtns

Re: SilverMtns Daily Food Journal

Postby Ruff » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:00 pm

I am so glad this way of eating is working so well for you. Hopefully your husband will see how much better you are and decide to join in, rather than suffer the indigestion!

I have to say, I find this way of eating so yummy I dont really miss anything much. I miss the IDEA of things more than the actuality of them. If I do have a taste of something greasy now it tastes...well..greasy! Even though my brain says hot chips are yummy, taste one and it tastes of rancid fat!
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby SilverMtns » Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:43 pm

Ruff wrote:I have to say, I find this way of eating so yummy I dont really miss anything much. I miss the IDEA of things more than the actuality of them. If I do have a taste of something greasy now it tastes...well..greasy! Even though my brain says hot chips are yummy, taste one and it tastes of rancid fat!

That's awesome. For me, it doesn't seem to work that way, but that's okay. I was a vegetarian for 20 years and when I went back to being an omnivore, I still liked the taste of animal foods. Same with fatty stuff, though it's true that after my last period of McDougalling, things tasted sweeter and richer (but not unpleasantly so). It's okay, though, I've had decades to eat whatever and it was fine. Now I need to care for my aging body better even if it's not my #1 choice for taste/texture considerations. I'm a grown-up. :-D [Edited to add: My husband and I have considered a "treat meal" for us once in a while to eat stuff I miss, but I'm committed to not doing that until this way of eating is second nature and even then, only max once a month. Like on a birthday or big holiday or something, and not the whole day of gorging -- just one planned meal.]
SilverMtns

Re: Day 2, 6/21/22

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:15 pm

SilverMtns wrote:We do well fending for ourselves, but we also do well with adaptable meals.

Hi,

Wanted to stop by to say you are doing great! :)

Identified with what you stated above on the "mixed" food marriage. My husband and I do the same --- and it has worked just fine.

Also, loved how you used "McDougally" above... I attended the 12 day in November and a group of us still meet and call ourselves "McDougally Friends"... :lol:

Hope you have a great day.

Best,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Re: Day 2, 6/21/22

Postby SilverMtns » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:48 pm

VegSeekingFit wrote:Wanted to stop by to say you are doing great! :)

Identified with what you stated above on the "mixed" food marriage. My husband and I do the same --- and it has worked just fine.

Thank you so much! I also notice that as I eat better, he does, too (and vice versa). After decades together we definitely influence each other.
SilverMtns

Day 7

Postby SilverMtns » Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:22 am

Did the java walk today. Got a soy white mocha and a macaron (totally on impulse, force of habit, sleepy -- not sure what my excuse is). Drank half the mocha on the walk home and tossed the rest of it, along with the macarons (the barista likes us so she gave me two) (James didn't want them and I'm not seeing anyone else today). Better to waste the money than my progress.

Today I was planning to start cooking the Forks Meal Planner recipes. First up: Cabbage Roll Soup. But our dishwasher broke and my husband is working on some renovations in the pantry, so I had crackers and hummus instead.

Today's food
  • 6 oz. of a soy white mocha
  • leftover potato/carrot/onion patties with ketchup
  • brown rice and veggie sushi rolls with sauce from the local delivery place
  • diet Coke (a few sips -- I don't love the stuff and it tastes even worse now, so why bother?)
  • Ezekiel toast and jam
  • piece of seitan with chili sauce

Body stuff

Palpitations are mostly gone. Doc said I could halve my heart pill when they're gone and I think that's close.
SilverMtns

Day 8

Postby SilverMtns » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:30 pm

Made the cabbage roll soup from the Forks Meal Planner. Pretty good.

Today's food
  • Ezekiel toast and jam
  • cabbage roll soup
  • tea with soymilk and sugar
  • cheeseless veg thin pizza, breadstick from the local pizza delivery
  • peach
  • piece of candy (2)
  • cold leftover pizza with some Italian-herb balsamic vinegar
SilverMtns

Day 9

Postby SilverMtns » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:37 pm

Did the java walk but the less hilly way because my husband's legs were sore from working out.

Body stuff
FBG 101
Back is a little achy, but not bad. No palpitations today.

Today's food
  • unssweetened tea
  • almond Kind bar
  • bean and rice burrito with guacamole and pico de gallo
  • salmas horneadas (baked corn crackers)
  • beans/rice/salsa
  • 1 piece of candy
SilverMtns

Day 10

Postby SilverMtns » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:27 am

No morning walk this morning because we had tradespeople in early. Might go for an amble in the evening. Four-day weekend coming up for me, whee! Stressy day at work so I ate a little more than "comfortably satisfied" but not a lot more.

Today's food
  • tea with sugar and soymilk
  • salmas horneadas with the fruit & veg ceviche from Forks Meal Planner. SO GOOD. Definitely a lot of chopping involved, but I did most of the prep over the weekend, so it came together pretty fast.
  • mango smoothie that I didn't realize had dairy until it was gone. Fortunately, it was small and it was low-fat dairy, but I haven't had milk in 10 days; hope it doesn't make me sick
  • brown rice veggie sushi, steamed veggies, and veg/tofu soup

Body stuff
Tapering off my heart meds. Feeling good about that. Back is so achy. Might be that time of the month.
Last edited by SilverMtns on Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SilverMtns

Postby Ruff » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:59 am

well done on managing to taper those heart meds down.

and a 4 day weekend! Any fun plans?
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Postby SilverMtns » Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:36 pm

Ruff wrote:well done on managing to taper those heart meds down.

and a 4 day weekend! Any fun plans?

Thanks! Gonna clean my house and go to the park on the 4th to watch the Independence Day parade. I know it's winter for you, but it's grilling weather here. Hoping they have grilled corn or something, and not just fried things and ribs. But it's close to home, so if not I can just eat at home. Any fun plans for your weekend?
SilverMtns

Day 11

Postby SilverMtns » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:18 am

Start of a 4-day weekend for me. Today is one of my favorite kinds of days--going to putter around my house, clean up, rest a lot, cook, etc. We usually grocery shop on Friday or Saturday. Not gonna shop today because I still have 2 recipes I haven't made from the Forks Meal plan for this week, so I'll make those today and shop tomorrow.

Today's food

• Ezekiel toast with jam
  • Tea with sugar and soymilk (I'm starting to taper off sugar, so I allow myself one cup from the pot with soymilk and sugar, and the rest I drink black. My teapot is around 30 ounces, I think. I have only ever allowed myself a maximum of one pot of tea in the morning; I don't drink any after breakfast)
  • a few too many almonds (9 or 10)
  • salmas with FMP ceviche
  • off-plan dinner (ugh)
  • more almonds
Last edited by SilverMtns on Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SilverMtns

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:09 am

Hi Silver, :-D

Sounds like you are doing great keeping on!

I like your thread in the recipes section --- great idea!

Hope that you have a great 4th weekend!!! Saw your plans - mine are similar -- chill out, do some random errands, batch cook, hang out at a 4th of July festival.

Enjoy,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals