Beyond the 12-Day Program: Beth's Time & Adherence

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Beyond the 12-Day Program: Beth's Time & Adherence

Postby VegSeekingFit » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:41 pm

Hey Beth!! :) :-D :D

Hoping you have found something with your heel issue!!!

Anyway, always just want to say "hi"... You are my McD STAR!!!

Hope that you are having an excellent week!!!

Cheers,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby Lizzy_F » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:41 am

Awe thank you Stephanie! My heel has gotten a lot better. It's not 100% yet, but I can walk without limping or favoring (that I am aware of) and will probably try out a short walk today. I got a couple of different shoe inserts to see if putting those in my walking sneakers helps at all. I may need to invest in better shoes for walking.

I love this newletter article, which was part of the Mark's linked "food for thought" type information last week in the MWL thread. The general topic was a re-post from Jeff (which contained the newsletter and other links) reminding us that there is MWL as presented by Dr. McDougall, Jeff, and the MWL forum moderators which is based on research and years of clinical experience. Then there are "hacks" that various other people have come up with, that are sometimes presented as though they are part of MWL, but they are NOT. (i.e. some people are completely sugar and salt free, but that is NOT the MWL recommendation regarding sugar and salt.) It truly is easy for the lines to get blurry, and I'm really grateful to have that reminder. I try to keep my blinders on when it comes to the basic information about how to do this program. I LOVE reading / hearing testimonials! And I will keep reading and listening to them. I will just be more vigilent about recognizing what is recommended by Dr. McDougall and his team, v. what is a suggestion from someone based on their personal experience.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2017nl/jul/simple.htm?_gl=1*1dbimxg*_ga*ODU2MDU3MjY3LjE2NTYwODc3Mjg.*_ga_M3W192WV0Q*MTY2MjczNDA2NC4xNC4xLjE2NjI3MzQyOTAuNDIuMC4w

Saving it here for posterity! (I hope that is an actual link that will open!)

There are other links in that newsletter that are worth exploring!
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:40 pm

Happy Friday, Beth! :-D

Glad that your heel is feeling better!

Hope that both of your dogs are doing ok...

Loved your idea of the Split Pea soup over cabbage. May give it a whirl over Romaine - never considered that.

Wishing you a fantastic weekend!!!
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby Lizzy_F » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:04 pm

Hello Journal! I don't know where the time goes these days. There is so much I want to do, and I just don't get to everything before the days are over. Sigh. I am woefully behind updating my own journal, and also behind keeping up with everyone else, which I really love doing! Well, winter is coming so I suspect there will be a little more space for computer time then.

Mean time - SCALE VICTORY!!!! 159.6 today. BMI is now 23.6. Progress, for sure. I am really motivated to get into the 20 - 22 range.

Non-scale victory - I bought a pair of faux leather pants!! Somebody better do an intervention and make me dress my age! :eek: :lol: :D

Stephanie - I will post this in your journal as well but I made some sloppy red lentils last night! I used mostly your instructions but also looked at Mary M.'s Sloppy Lentil recipe. I use a bigger crock pot so made a bigger batch in order to freeze some. So I wasn't quite sure about the water amount or whether to cook them over night on high or low. I am such a non-cook that I need instructions that start with "get the pan out of the cupboard and set it on the counter....." etc. :lol: Anyway, they came out very tasty! I need to cook up more taters this afternoon. Sadly, the "Jumbo Baking Potatoes" from Sams are now a very teeny size - I'm guessing that is due to draught conditions? I hope the weather eases up before our potato supply runs dry! (not joking here!) So these taters are pretty small to make "bakers" out of. I'm thinking of just cooking a batch in the instant pot. Do those still keep well in the fridge for some days? I guess I will find out.

Yesterday came and went and I totally forgot to celebrate FOUR straight months of McDougalling! 1 cookie in four months - that's the only off-plan detour I had, and that was back in June. A-MAZING! Still rocking along. Still loving my food. Still losing weight. Still feeling better and better all the time. Please don't let this pink cloud ever dissipate! (did I spell that right? Probably not..)

Husband and I have both been sick with colds. I started it last Friday, then passed it to him. Ugh. I will be glad when this is behind us.

I'm so glad REAL FOOTBALL is finally here! I've become more and more of an NFL fan as I've gotten older, for some reason. Of course I root for the Chicago Bears, but I've learned through the years to never have high expectations there. So I always have other favorite teams to root for, as long as it's not Green Bay. :mrgreen: There are a lot of teams to like right now - I enjoy watching the Bucs (Go Team Old Guy), Bengals and Chiefs among others. I have a soft spot for the Lions and Jaguars - they have both spent so much time at / near the bottom of the barrel. I suppose the Giants are in that grouping as well, and interesting to see what Daboll does there. Anyway, enough of that.

My heel is feeling about 90% better, which is awesome! But it's left me a little hesitant to do the kind of walking I really want to do. Yesterday I logged over 16,000 steps just "living life" and not going for an intentional walk, and feel OK today, so I'm thinking I should just give it a whirl.

How long does watermelon season last? I'm squeezing every last juicy drop out of this season!
Beth

Lizzy_F

Postby squealcat » Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:55 pm

Hi Beth ! I really enjoy reading your journal ! It makes me smile :-D !

Congratulations on Four straight months of McDougalling !! one cookie in all that time ? Amazing and wonderful ! So proud of you ! I need that kind of success !

16,000 steps just in daily living? I would like to follow you around ! On a regular day with a 3 mile walk I can get in 10,000 steps and not much more. I need to step it up !

Anyway, I love your positive outlook and the vibes you give out ! thank you for all your encouragement !

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:19 pm

Lizzy_F wrote:Hello Journal! I don't know where the time goes these days. There is so much I want to do, and I just don't get to everything before the days are over. Sigh. I am woefully behind updating my own journal, and also behind keeping up with everyone else, which I really love doing! Well, winter is coming so I suspect there will be a little more space for computer time then.

Mean time - SCALE VICTORY!!!! 159.6 today. BMI is now 23.6. Progress, for sure. I am really motivated to get into the 20 - 22 range.

Non-scale victory - I bought a pair of faux leather pants!! Somebody better do an intervention and make me dress my age! :eek: :lol: :D

Stephanie - I will post this in your journal as well but I made some sloppy red lentils last night! I used mostly your instructions but also looked at Mary M.'s Sloppy Lentil recipe. I use a bigger crock pot so made a bigger batch in order to freeze some. So I wasn't quite sure about the water amount or whether to cook them over night on high or low. I am such a non-cook that I need instructions that start with "get the pan out of the cupboard and set it on the counter....." etc. :lol: Anyway, they came out very tasty! I need to cook up more taters this afternoon. Sadly, the "Jumbo Baking Potatoes" from Sams are now a very teeny size - I'm guessing that is due to draught conditions? I hope the weather eases up before our potato supply runs dry! (not joking here!) So these taters are pretty small to make "bakers" out of. I'm thinking of just cooking a batch in the instant pot. Do those still keep well in the fridge for some days? I guess I will find out.

Yesterday came and went and I totally forgot to celebrate FOUR straight months of McDougalling! 1 cookie in four months - that's the only off-plan detour I had, and that was back in June. A-MAZING! Still rocking along. Still loving my food. Still losing weight. Still feeling better and better all the time. Please don't let this pink cloud ever dissipate! (did I spell that right? Probably not..)

Husband and I have both been sick with colds. I started it last Friday, then passed it to him. Ugh. I will be glad when this is behind us.

I'm so glad REAL FOOTBALL is finally here! I've become more and more of an NFL fan as I've gotten older, for some reason. Of course I root for the Chicago Bears, but I've learned through the years to never have high expectations there. So I always have other favorite teams to root for, as long as it's not Green Bay. :mrgreen: There are a lot of teams to like right now - I enjoy watching the Bucs (Go Team Old Guy), Bengals and Chiefs among others. I have a soft spot for the Lions and Jaguars - they have both spent so much time at / near the bottom of the barrel. I suppose the Giants are in that grouping as well, and interesting to see what Daboll does there. Anyway, enough of that.

My heel is feeling about 90% better, which is awesome! But it's left me a little hesitant to do the kind of walking I really want to do. Yesterday I logged over 16,000 steps just "living life" and not going for an intentional walk, and feel OK today, so I'm thinking I should just give it a whirl.

How long does watermelon season last? I'm squeezing every last juicy drop out of this season!

Hey Beth!!! :D :-D :)

Happy Friday to you!!!!

I hope that you and your hubby feel better soon!!! No fun to be sick!!

Thank you for post above this one where you linked the newsletter that Mark had in Time & Adherence thread (and, yes --- your link works fine!!!) ... OMG... Duh to me, I didn't click on it in original post.... :!: Profound to me by Dr. McD in middle of article which has to be unbelievably frustrating to anyone in the business of helping folks get well... " Last Step: Changing My Mind... Years of brainwashing from the food industry, using every means at their disposal, was hard for me to completely erase, even after the above four experiences. However, I was left with the conclusion that the best diet for human health and healing was based on starches with the addition of a few vegetables and fruits..." So, yeah... why we would lose any discussion with others on following this diet... (maybe not always, not trying to be a pessimist here...) How to de-program folks from propaganda / continuous divergent sources???

CONGRATULATIONS on your scale victory!!! That is so awesome, Beth!!!! Also, your only 1 miss since May!!! You go GIRL!!! GO GO GO!!!! :-D You ARE doing this !!!

I am glad that you liked the Sloppy Lentils... There is another recipe (Sloppy Lentils Too)... THink it is in a newsletter (as opposed to searchable on main site). I have a photo that I can text you if you are interested to tweak how you made it. If you want to have sandwich or maybe filling for lettuce wrap, the regular lentils work great too!!! I am 100% with the red ones as a stew-like concoction... :) Have been eating with corn and salad / Romaine, tomato, red onions --- OMG ... delicious!!

I LOVE the faux leather pants!!! You are young in spirit --- so dress accordingly!!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!

Cheers,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

Postby Lizzy_F » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:03 pm

Hello journal!!

HUGE shout out of thanks to Squealcat (Marilyn) and Stephanie for stopping by! Your words of support and encouragement mean the world to me!!!

Stephanie - please do send me a picture of the newsletter Sloppy Lentil recipe! I really like sloppy lentils and can't wait to try different variations.

Feeling better each day, but boy this cold is a bugger of a hanger-onner. Still have some congestion. I"m staying in as much as possible and masking when I do go out.

I had to stop by a place today where I know a lot of people. One guy who I've known for years didn't recognize me. When I told him who I was, he didn't believe me and DEMANDED I remove my mask, which of course I declined to do! He then remarked on my weight loss.

On this same stop, I saw a woman who I know well (she did recognize me!) who had bariatric surgery a couple years ago. Because of the covid shut downs, I'm not sure how much weight she lost following the surgery, but today I was sad for her because it appears that she must weigh about the same now as a before the surgery. I can't imagine going through all of that, and then not being able to maintain any weight loss. :crybaby: I want so badly to just give her a Starch Solution book, but I don't see how I can do that without causing embarassment. I wanted so badly for her to comment on my own weight loss only for the reason that I could then easily mention Dr. McDougall and his books / web site / program. But she didn't...

I don't ever, ever want to forget what it feels like to suffer with excess weight and all the other attendant problems. Please Higher Power never let me lose my deep gratitude for this wonderful food that nourishes me and helps me stay healthy!
Beth

Lizzy_F

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:02 am

Doesn't it feel good, having the weight gone? The confidence and great cheer that accompany our bodies' return to health. Well done!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Lizzy_F » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:51 pm

Buns you are so right - it certainly does feel good to have that excess weight gone. I never want to forget how it used to feel compared to how it feels now. No amount of Pleasure Trap food is worth feeling fat and miserable!

I went to Costco today. It's much further out of the way than Sam's Club, but they carry some things that Sam's doesn't, so we use both. My fantastic finding was the the Costco "Jumbo Baking Potatoes" are actually still JUMBO sized! Unlike Sam's which were itsy bitsy last time I bought them. (desspite the bag being labeled "JUMBO!") Nothing wrong with small potatoes - they taste good too. I like the really big ones baked in the oven to where the skin gets a little crunchy. Yum yum!

Potatoes are definitely my main starch. I did make some Mary's Smashed Pinto Beans over the weekend, so made some rice to go with those. So a little rice has been nice for a change of pace. I think it takes more calories in rice to fill up my tank though. So I still think potatoes are overall a better weight loss food for me. Hopefully when the weight loss part of this journey winds down, I can experiment successfully with a wider variety of starches. I'm looking forward to trying some other grains like Farro, etc.

Tomorrow I will be making a big pot of vegetable soup along with more of the small potatoes in the instant pot. Don't want to run out of those things!

I still have the tail end of this cold lingering on. Ugh. I'm tired of being sick.

I'm also really excited for some cooler weather to roll in. The highs lately have been in the low 90's which is just crazy for late September! I'm looking forward to Thursday/Friday this week when the highs will be in the 60's. Then it will be time to wear some much smaller fall clothes!

I'm feeling really shallow with this stuff on my mind that just feels like vanity. Oh well - I guess some days are like that. Perhaps contemplating more significant things will feel right tomorrow.
Beth

Lizzy_F

Postby squealcat » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:20 pm

Beth, just popping over to tell you that I am currently reading " A Woman Is No Man" by Etaf Rum. Don't know what kind of books you like but this one caught me right away. It is about women from middle Eastern culture where women are expected to marry young and have no choices as to who they marry.... I just started it and already I am engrossed in it. It reads pretty easily but I am expecting to have deep feelings while I read it. A couple of ladies have read it already and really liked it.

-Marilyn

PS: I will have to think about my favorite from this year.
squealcat

Postby VegSeekingFit » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:28 pm

Hey Beth, :D :-D :)

I hope that you are feeling better... You are so inspiring to me!!! :-)

You are more than 100% welcome to come by anytime!!! We do have lots of potatoes... :)

You have done such amazing things that are an inspiration to so many people!!!

So Love to read your happy posts!!! Just keep going!! :D

Cheers,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

Postby Lizzy_F » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:09 am

Hello Stephanie & Marilyn!!

Marilyn - thank you so much for the book recommendation. I was able to put the e-book on hold through the library - I will look forward to reading it and sharing thoughts about it! It sounds really interesting from your description.

Stephanie - POTATOES RULE! :D :D :D In fact, I will be cooking more itsty bitsy ones today!

Dear journal,

I have not yet tired of queing up the next size smaller jeans to try on. I'm working on my next Old Navy order, LOL! This feels so shallow, and yet so fun at the same time. :D

I am a "Lifetime" member at Weight Watchers (meaning I am a member for free as long as I weigh in once a month within 2 pounds of my goal weight). I am now 10+ pounds below my goal weight, which is the top end of the healthy BMI range. I stop by there once in a while when we are at our main house for the weekend rather than the cabin by the river. I like collecting the charms - today I picked up my 50 pound charm. I just listen, and for myself, I find it a good reminder of my years spent firmly entrenched in the Pleasure Trap, and how easily I could end up back there again (like so many of the people at the meetings). I generally stay quiet, and listen, and "take what I need, and leave the rest." Today I had a chance to reflect on all the excuses I used to make for myself to not eat healthy food, and how easy it is to fool myself about what is healthy and what is not. So I feel firmly grounded today in STARCHES, VEGETABLES, and FRUITS. No animals and no oils/fats. So simple, and yet was so elusive for so long. I don't ever want to be stuck in the Pleasure Trap again. Knock on wood. I need to stay vigilent, because it is everywhere, and wears many disguises. When they gave me my 50 pound charm, they of course asked "how did you do that?" My generic answer is "I have finally figured out what foods work for me and my health, and what foods don't. I eat lots of the healthy foods, and NONE of the foods that don't work for me." You would think in a room full of overweight people that some would at least be curious. But NO! I do know how it feels to be in that Pleasure Trap and firmly committed to the idea of "just one" of _____________(insert Pleasure Trap food here) despite it being impossible (proven repeatedly!) to ever have just one.

It was like standing at the station, and watching a bunch of people board the cRaZy train that I used to ride on every day, and being reminded why I don't want to ride that cRaZy train any more.

So there is my WW reflection for today! I do like my little collection of charms that I finally have (pounds lost - 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 40, 50, Lifetime status) - thanks to Team McDougall and the Starch Solution + MWL guidelines! :D :D :D

Side note: The Starch Solution way of eating does fit nicely within the current WW program framework. Don't know if that will always be true since they tend to modify the program a little every year, and a LOT every few years. But right now, the program is customizeable, and very easy for a low fat WFPB eater to structure. Just in case anyone was wondering about that.
Beth

Lizzy_F

Postby squealcat » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:22 pm

Surprise !! I, too am a WW lifetime member ! I used to love going to meetings, collecting the charms and talking with all my WW friends ! I still keep in touch with a few of them. I am not "at goal" right now so would have to pay. I decided to stop going to the meetings because it was just becoming social for me and I just could rarely give any input during the meetings. They all knew I was plant based and the new program was easy to follow when doing MWL ....they don't really say you "have to" add oil every day. I find I really like coming to this board, reading people's journals and following MWL and reading all the comments on the monthly Time and Adherence board. Everyone understands what I eat and why I eat it. So, no, I don't go to those meetings anymore. It was fun to read your comments about it though ! (PS: I still have all my charms :lol: )

-Marilyn
squealcat

Postby Lizzy_F » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:02 pm

Hi journal!

I need to go revisit the instructions for posting pictures. I did it once but now I've forgotten. Senior moment I guess. Anyway, I continue to have WAY too much fun shopping. On Monday I went to a new place that I had never shopped before. Most of their clothes only go up to size 14 or something, so I COULDN'T have shopped there before. So that was pretty cool. They sell really trendy stuff. Some of it way way too young, even for my age inappropriate tastes! :lol: But some fun and wild things that were a blast to try on. I'm having so much fun trying on all the 70's inspired clothes! I'm having more fun with those things now than I ever did when I was a teenager in the actual 70's!

So anyway, these pants are literally called "The Feeling Groovy Pants." :lol: :lol: :lol: They are wide flares (bell bottoms in the "old days") with big fat vertical stripes in bold colors! They were available on-line in a tall length, so I just had to get them! I have a dressing room selfie of the "regular" length pair and I had SO MUCH FUN trying those on! I need more places to go to wear all these fun clothes.

I'm dreading the credit card bill. But until it arrives, I'm going to just pretend it doesn't exist! :D :D :D

I love potatoes! The miracle food! (They are making me slender, and also very shallow, apparently!)

New low on the scale on Monday - 155.6. Of course it bounced back up but I'm now used to that trend. So I will probably see another new low in 4 or 5 days. A BMI under 22 is starting to feel possible.

An important goal for me is to get consistent regular exercise figured out. Right now I tend to move a LOT just living life every day. But that will slow down as the weather cools down - so I really MUST get something going on consistently. Tiffany suggested today that I use the resources I already have at home, which are many, and challenge myself to doing 5 minutes a few times a day of ANYTHING. Just start building the habit. I think that is a good suggestion so that is what I'm going to be working on.

I feel like I am making really good progress on not stuffing myself, and being more tuned in to hunger and satiety. Eating when hungry, and stopping when comfortably full, not stuffed. The last two nights, I actually didn't finish all the potato concoction I fixed myself for dinner. Two nights in a row! I pushed back from the table and said "I'm done" while there was still food on my plate. WHAT???? WHO IS THIS PERSON AND WHAT HAPPENED TO BETH????? I can't believe this old dog is learning THAT particular new trick!

Well, rock on my friends! Hope everyone is feelng groovy today, whatever you are eating and wearing! :D
Beth

Lizzy_F

Postby squealcat » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:49 pm

Yeah, I want to see a picture of you in those pants Beth ! You are so groovy !!

I pretty much have the consistent exercise thing going but really want to do some strength exercises. I even have the days figured out but haven't started yet. I like this cooler weather right now and like walking outdoors followed by working in the yard. I think once it gets intolerable outside, I will get to the gym and use those weight machines. But not yet.

I rarely leave food on my plate. I try but just have trouble with it. Maybe some day.... I am working at being aware of my hunger before, during and after my meals. That's all I can do right now. I think I have a fear of being hungry. All these feelings are left over from all the diets I have been on during my life. Now, I don't have to fear as there are always potatoes !! :nod: I DO love potatoes with mustard on top !

-Marilyn
squealcat

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals