Stephanie's Journal - Moving Right Along

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

12/23 Time & Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:42 pm

Hi Journal! :)

Here are a few food pics – still loving the food!

Cleaning out refrigerator left-overs. Followed this up with a bowl of veggie soup.

Made more black bean soup. Great over rice or potatoes. Added NSA Rotel to the soup – delicious.

A big bowl of starchy simple stew. Delicious and warming!

So, this is totally different oatmeal --- it is the thick-cut. First time I have tried and LOVING it – quite chewy!

Below is Behavioral assessment that I will post to Time & Adherence group for 12/23.

Hi Team Time & Adherence, :D

Hope that everyone is doing awesome and navigating the various holiday challenges and / or learning opportunities!!! The past couple of days would be great weather days in Chicagoland for snowmen… for people, not so much. Seeing that this winter storm weather is hitting a good clip of the country --- hoping all keep their power and are only mildly inconvenienced…

Mark, sorry that your travel plans were delayed. Hope that you can get to see your family soon and that you have a great time!

Bambi, I’m with you enjoying time with family / friends, but always like to get right past the holidays (especially as they come to a close). Also, eating recommended foods first helps a ton!

Rebecka, Agree with you on the taking it one choice at a time. Learn, move on… adjust plans for future. I am lucky that there is no vegan junk food anywhere that I go – so, primarily easy for me to say no to SAD crap.

Personally, was not perfect this week, but overall did well. I planned ahead for holiday gatherings (ate before, brought compliant food to share), but did get hungry at one of them. Next time, I will bring an additional dish to that party (we stay a long time). Feeling mostly fantastic and focusing on the thought pattern that this way of eating is forever (no need to get upset over a miss) … so assess situation / other options / ways of handling and MOVE FORWARD by being kind to yourself. I am seriously getting pretty good at the being kind to yourself thing!

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
No; maintaining.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
YES. I love what I eat --- and it is starch / veggie or fruit. I mainly keep to same simple recipes. I did eat this week a bit of leftovers a few days for breakfast instead of oatmeal / fruit. My son is home and he sometimes will eat MWL food with me and loves it, but really hard to plan for this!!! It could be eat a whole pot vs. eat none… Anyway, I have recommended food to make simple plates and recipes and have done this. Eating a ton of soup (black bean, potato / veggie), potatoes of all kinds, sloppy lentils, brown basmati rice, Jeff burgers, oatmeal (discovered the thick cut one and it is great)! Favorite fruit this week is gigantic juicy grapes and favorite veg is the humble carrot…

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes. Reduced, not eliminated. I did have a boo with #7 that maybe has sodium impact --- but probably not huge….

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
No. :cry: I was totally successful at one holiday event with: eating before, bringing fruit / veggie trays. Staying away from food tables. Next event: I did eat before (maybe not enough and it was a long party) and bring fruit / veggie trays. I had trouble about where I was socializing / in front of the food… Boo!! Anyway, I think at the macro level a small impact for this (but totally not compliant)--- had 5 WFM whole wheat crackers and ½ of a French Bread roll (put plain salad in there for a sandwich). I do learn from this that I may have opportunity to bring a different (or extra) dish to this party next year (like rice or potato or bean salad / main dish).

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes –no starving or stuffing.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
:oops: Really am impacted by the short days / lack of sun and the cold weather. I need to find an indoor alternative that I love or at least will do for the really cold days over the next couple of months. I have paced a bit around the house and done a few body weight exercises. Hilarious, I ordered an item similar to the Lemon Twist (from the 70’s) --- maybe I can hop around to some loud music (will let you all know next week :lol: ).

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:

Wishing everyone a wonderful holiday season!!! Hope it is heart-warming, healthy, and safe.

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Re: Stephanie's Journal - Moving Right Along

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:20 pm

Hi Journal!! :)

Just posting a few pics... Sticking with planning for MWL recommended food. This works best for me... no doubt!!!

Saving a few threads here too...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62355&start=15#p633313

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=62355#p633287

Above from JeffN that I think that I do understand, but pretty phenomenal on Calorie Density & principles, etc....

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=62340&start=60#p633296

Above is Mark's reply to Beth on "digressions"... So, this planned vs. un-planned is interesting to me. I still stick to not planned --- at least for now... "Know Thyself"... :lol:

So, super lazy and self-indulgent .... but 100% compliant... Went to pick up gift for my son and checked out WFM... Won't be a regular happening to pick up their tray, but OMG ... yes I did today!!! :)

Another self-indulgent thing... not recurring, but loved to just fill container with fruit & veggies (plus beans) ... I did add at home black bean soup with potato. Delicious!!!

OK, love beyond belief this thick cut oatmeal with some fruit!!! :cool:

Here was what I packed for Xmas day. Was fine --- also brought a fruit and veggie tray... Super easy to pack and take...

Loving the mulit-colored carrrots and tomatoes. I do love the regular ones too, but sometimes pick the colorful ones!! This does make me happy.... :D

Wishing the best for everyone!!! Happy New Year!!!
Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

12/30 Time & Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Dec 30, 2022 8:14 am

Hi Journal, :)

Can’t believe 2022 is almost at a close… Posting a few food pics … and weekly Behavioral assessment – that is my Friday thing!

Preparing for making Jeff burgers. I make a double batch about every 3 weeks and freeze (great snack and “to go” food). Crazily added some Chinese veggies last time I made these and FOUND that I do love the water chestnuts in there… nice crunch factor!!! Besides ingredients in this picture, added 2 cups of Oatmeal, 4 T of tomato sauce, and a few shakes of hot sauce.

Here they are all cooked up!!! Tasting delicious!

Totally loving Split pea soup. I had no celery --- so doubled down on carrots. I haven’t made this for at least a month, and it is AWESOME!

A quick lunch. I love the different colors / textures / tastes of the recommended foods. I did end up adding some potatoes when I was done (still hungry).

A big bowl of brown basmati rice with the remaining black bean soup. Super delicious!!! More like rice and beans than “soup over rice” …

Roasted potatoes. Delicious and easy. I microwaved about 10 potatoes (various sizes, because that is what is in the bags) and then cut them in halves or thirds and roasted them in the oven. These are awesome!!

My favorite quote of the week is from Stephen King… Twitter – 12/23/2022…
“Try this one weird trick to simplify your life… it’s genius!
STOP LOOKING AT CLICKBAIT!”
Cannot agree more (thanks, SK!!!) - I maybe do this (look) a few times a year when the WTH gets to me, but mostly IGNORE!!! NICE!!! Wonder what would happen if none of us would click to incentivize that great big $ pot??? (I think we’re past this being possible but would love to see re-emergence of independent journalism and these are folks that I seek out what they have to say….)

Below is Behavioral assessment that I will post to Time & Adherence group for 12/30.

Hi Team Time & Adherence, :D

Wishing you all well!!! Want to give a huge SHOUT-OUT and THANK YOU to Mark, JeffN, and Wildgoose for this group and all the great support, resources, community space, etc.! Also, to the McDougalls who provide this forum and tons of life-saving information free of charge. You all are my heroes!! I am also inspired by all fellow participants. Helps me a ton to feel part of a community. Thank you! :)

Mark, No need to answer this, but wondering if your 2X cancelled flights were SW Airlines??? My BIL / SIL / nephew ended up DRIVING back to LA (after cancelled flights by SW Airlines) … Not a short trip!!! UGH!!!! Anyway, hope that you can see your peeps soon and hope this did not ruin your holiday.

For me, feeling great about navigating past week’s holiday parties (and kind of glad that the season is winding down). Same strategies I mentioned in my last post (but no misses here to report; able to keep to MWL behaviors).

No; maintaining.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
YES. :-D I continue to LOVE what I eat. I did make many of same things and enjoyed them. Ate an amazing quantity of potatoes, soup, salad, fruit, beans, oatmeal… Bought a prepared fruit tray (nice – someone else cuts it!) which was awesome for a few days. Loving multi-colored carrots and tomatoes with Romaine and red onion.

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes. Reduced, not eliminated.

Yes.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes.

Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
No. :-( In search of my exercise mojo!!! Thanks, Mark for the link last week. I will check this out. I did not receive my “Pseudo-Lemon Twist” yet. I normally love to move but have been finding difficulty in adapting to doing something different with the weather change. Also, have been checking out gym options --- but not ever really loving to go to gym (especially in cold and dark). I do LOVE to walk outside, but not in super-cold weather. Still have done some pacing in house and a few body-weight exercises. Totally not enough, for sure can do better in this space.

In regard to the concept of “positive self-talk” and how this can be super helpful in making changes …
1) Here is a 3-minute video of Dr. Lim talking about replacing your “inner critic” with your “inner nurturer” The voice inside our heads and how to learn to use it to our advantage - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgaMbFM5kVA
2) I just finished “Stop Overthinking” by Nick Trenton – which has some interesting content on techniques to help in this space as well. The book has mixed reviews (mostly love or hate) and is more tactical than philosophical but does have some tools / templates and is a quick read. His ABC (Antecedent, Behavior, Consequence) template is very similar to what I used with 5/7 and seems to follow what Mark mentioned on “post-mortem” log to gather the data to help identify solutions to change behavior.

Wishing everyone a wonderful wind-up of 2022 and a bright and beautiful upcoming 2023!

"Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties.” - Helen Keller

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

The New Year --- 2023!!!

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:52 pm

Hi and HAPPY NEW YEAR to all!!! :)

Hope everyone is enjoying a wonderful start to the year!!! Sometimes, a “blank slate” offers limitless possibilities!!!! Can’t love that enough!! Wishing everyone an awesome start to 2023!!!

Personally, ringing in 2023 in a calm way!!!! Happy to be feeling terrific health-wise and motivated about continuing to follow the MWL checklist. I seriously do love this food!!! Starting 2023 in “weight range” that I defined last year (but at the top of that --- probably due to some exercise avoidance in late December) … Anyway, I have no resolution, but planned intentions…

For 2023, just planning to holistically follow the MWL checklist (same as 2022). Also, engage and seek support as needed. Right now, feeling grounded and supported (super thanks to several folks here, especially McD team themselves!!!).

From a tactical perspective, looking to:
• Continue to review opportunities to simplify. I think I mostly do ok here (yes, I am simple / boring!) but thinking of this bowls concept (personal emergency easy food) and could definitely leverage more frozen veggies. I do totally use a ton of frozen fruit and some frozen veggies but could incorporate more frozen veggies and save some time / energy here (or at least practice for when / if needed).
• Devise a sauce that is easy, delicious, compliant and I remember to eat!!! HA!!! :lol: So, had last year mentioned BBQ (but did find no recipe that could make it without a ton of sugar… because I guess BBQ is sugar…). Anyway, have identified a potential recipe to try / tinker with from – FoK – Enchilada sauce that is really started with NSA tomato sauce and adds some water and spices. On the list to do experiment #1.
• Incorporate acceptable indoor home exercise routine for super-crappy weather days. For now, will be doing a few body-weight exercises --- add some calisthenics and pacing … also, have a ton of DVD’s and YouTube options. Not my favorite, but need to just suck it up here. Targeting the 30 minute – period, done (i.e., something is better than nothing).
• Explore other exercise activities to engage in with other people! I really would love to find some camaraderie in exercise for some days. I think that this is one reason why I miss running mainly. Anyway, have a few thoughts here and will pursue them.
• Explore other volunteer / community activities that are more on-going vs. “one-off”. Current life circumstances --- I have more time with my son being an adult and not being caregiver for my mom. I enjoy helping folks / causes that I believe in and would like to find an opportunity / skills “match”. For 2022, did a bunch of different things and that was great. For 2023, will dig deeper --- but will continue with supporting efforts that I did in 2022.
• Continue to find mindfulness / meditation opportunities. Just do it.

Learned a lot in 2022 and have made meaningful forward progress. I try to keep to thinking that we only compare ourselves to ourselves --- and just do the best that we can. Not perfect is expected and ok --- just keep moving forward. Get better every time and don’t worry about being flawless (that is over-rated for sure)!!!
• Enjoyed practicing MWL checklist with the MWL group on this forum!!!
• Broadened my own support network and engaged with people looking to achieve similar goals. Now hosting weekly Zoom meetings… and LOVE this!!!
• Understanding better the principles / guidelines (also recommended, allowed, boo's).
• Got better at shopping for and preparing simple meals. Mostly make the same things and only simple recipes.
• Executed on planning - no issues with own packing food when going out. I just do this, knowing that the odds are that it will be needed and if not, just throw it back in the fridge or eat it for the next meal.
• More than doubled average daily steps --- not setting the world on fire, but accomplishment for me!!!
• OMG --- practiced better self-talk!!! This maybe should be at top!!! Transformational! This was key to me overcoming 5/7 food issues in my environment. It is important and helpful for everything that we want to do!!!
• Became confident in following Calorie Density principles / guidelines --- no counting, weighing, measuring to manage weight --- up / down / all around!! Thanks here 100% to JeffN writings and help.

Saving below thread --- Love these posts from Mark and WG on how they keep on with the program / make it BAU. Glad that the question was raised!!! Mark’s 1st link is EPIC!! I cannot love enough (and it does make me chuckle) the “Holmesian” comment on being hungry / understanding your satiation… Seriously great thread!!!
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=62340&start=75#p633376

A couple of pictures here of great food:
My first meal of 2023 --- this is the thick oatmeal with “Cherries and berries” frozen fruit. Delicious!

My first soup of 2023!!! Made this on NYE and threw in little crockpot --- 28 oz. NSA crushed tomatoes, chopped yellow onion, a bunch of chopped carrots, 2 chopped sweet potatoes, maybe 14 oz. water (half can), smoked paprika, parsley. OK, this was my last cooking debacle of 2022 – hard to chop sweet potato --- easy to chop finger… YIKES… but ultimately band-aid worked!!! The soup is great!!!

A starchy lunch!!! Multiple potatoes with sloppy lentils and fruit!!

Roasted potatoes gone wild!!!

Going with HAPPY theme for 2023!!! Join me!!! Clap along!!!
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ha ... 6ntref%3d1

Best,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

01/06 Time & Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:32 pm

A few pics from the week’s food…

Sweet potatoes gone wild!!! These were delicious! Once I had a plateful dipped in BBQ sauce (OK, just OMG!).

Roasted a big pyrex of broccoli, onion, red bell pepper, and 2 kinds of mushrooms. Good warm or cold!!!

Dipping salad in Sloppy lentils. Try it!!! My first cooking debacle of 2023 was kind of hilarious --- popped frozen corn in the microwave. Duh!!! (Usually I just thaw this first, but it was a late addition… HA! )

Snack of fruit and soup.

Made Mary McD Mexi Soup in the crockpot. Added a bell pepper and then some brown jasmine rice. Tastes amazing and easy to make!!

Finger food salad with a Sumo orange. Love the orange with the Romaine lettuce!!!

Below is Behavioral assessment that I will post to Time & Adherence group for 1/6.

Hi Team Time & Adherence, :-D

Happy 2023! Hope everyone is enjoying getting back into their regular routine after the long holiday season.

Welcome, Joe!!!! As Holly mentioned, this is an awesome group! Glad to “meet” you!

Here is my week:

No; still maintaining.

YES. :D Lots of potatoes and sweet potatoes! A huge pot of Mary McD Mexi soup (from this website) with brown jasmine rice added – delicious and easy! Oatmeal and fruit for breakfast. Split pea soup, sloppy lentils --- still up there in my favorites. Scored some Sumo oranges and Envy apples – love these. Lots of delicious salads and roasted vegetables with lunch and dinner.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Not a full yes yet --- but PROGRESS!!! :cool: 5/7 outside brisk walks over 30 minutes is getting me back on-track here. [b]Gimmelean’s comment last week on the weather conditions she’d walk in motivated me out the door (and reminded me that I have earmuffs too!!). [/b]

Comment #1 – Awesome, Rebecka for asking Mark the question last week on how he handles MWL now! I greatly appreciated and am encouraged by Mark’s answer and by WildGoose’s post as well. If anyone missed it, check out those posts and Mark’s links! EPIC! https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 75#p633376

Comment #2 (sorry, LONG) - Mark, thanks for sharing Dr. Lim’s list of “top mistakes in behavioral change”. Great way to get discussion rolling for 2023!!! In considering this, interesting to think that we are all different --- have various backgrounds, environments, taste preferences, challenges… So, I expect that Dr. Lim’s list would be holistic across a diverse group and some may or may not pertain to each of us. A few of them were n/a for me; others were YES!!!

I will say that I had “Unrealistic expectations” in that when I decided to just totally follow MWL for lifestyle / on-going (started May 2021), I was thinking that with my mind in the right place that it would be a “flip the switch” change and henceforth, compliance would come… Ha!! :lol: Did not work that way for me, but I do know that there are other folks on the forums that have had that experience (where they just change --- PERIOD --- and more power to them).

I struggled a lot with emotional hoops… (at times discouraging) --- with a couple of foods in my environment that I kept eating (for months) and was discouraged with removing myself from Pleasure Trap.

Once I got that under control, I also felt emotionally challenged with feedback from folks (like that I was “too thin”), when I was progressing to healthy weight, but not confident in how to maintain weight (as opposed to lose weight) on MWL foods. I will only add here that ONLY 1 person ever commented when I was GAINING weight… make of that what you will.

Currently working through feeling confident about embedding the behaviors. So, this is my “Missing Piece” that is in progress… but I feel pretty ok about it. :-D

Solutions that have helped in my on-going quest to embed the MWL behaviors (obviously, my own experience, background, challenges --- Your mileage may vary):

1) Framing change as a learning experience. Learning how to remove self-judgment and focus on using mistakes to analyze approaches for improvement and try these (to then be evaluated and adjusted as needed – in sometimes a circular fashion). HA – patience is a virtue!!! :lol:

2) Keeping a (primarily) positive mindset. Loving what I am doing and why – enjoying the journey and the open highway of other possibilities that become unleashed by re-gaining health. Finding joy in eating real foods (colors, tastes, textures) and how eating the right foods makes me feel fantastic physically and mentally.

3) Seeking / engaging in opportunities for support / accountability. For me, this was something that I had not leveraged in the past. I am grateful beyond belief for all the support that I have “found” --- many people are amazing and I appreciate them beyond belief.
a. This group itself and the wonderful moderators and information / resources shared. Also, the focus on behaviors --- truly incredible!!! Mark, Jeff, WG have built a community here --- love the sharing and support. Also, appreciate everyone who participates here!!!
b. The McD 12 Day Program – the McD team is amazing and the support framework is incredible!! I engage in every opportunity that I can fit in schedule and it has been phenomenal. If I ever find anyone that is willing to do / interested in this program, I will do this again with them. Seriously. Also, if anyone is thinking of doing this --- I recommend 100% -- life-changing.
c. A few family members / friends who aren’t doing this (and who think I am crazy in that) will actively support me. This helps tremendously in certain situations to have an advocate to get others off my back. I do take the Doug Lisle / JeffN approach with folks, and mostly all is fine.

4) Firmly staying with MWL recommended foods in maintenance (maybe maintaining weight, but still optimizing health). Yes, “a little bit” is likely not ok for me. This also goes to “environment”. Have not actively “quit” before but have drifted in the past to “Veganland”. This one has been a bit touchy with a few folks telling me that I am “too restrictive” (like I have a problem). I have really “re-thought” this at least 2 times and come to the same conclusion!!! I do know myself!!! Also, I eat foods that I like and I do eat as much as I want of the recommended foods (which can be a ton) – I do eat when hungry, not starving or stuffing. Not feeling deprived.
a. I make easy recipes using recommended foods. These are quick for me!!! I make what I like!!! Mostly this is throwing ingredients I like on a plate.
b. I regularly make Jeff burgers – easy. No need for crap. These are pull out of freezer and heat / eat.
c. I batch cook all kinds of very simple things!!! Have tons of recommended foods to take out of refrigerator!
d. I do some label reading detective work. Just to see how far off the ranch some choices are. I use JeffN guidelines and evaluate products. For MWL, this is minimal / condiment for me, but I do like to understand the broader situation for saying NO NO NO, not good… For instance, I checked out Trader Joe’s site for “vegan” products (maybe “featured”). There were maybe 60 --- and of that ONE would comply fully – Jicama wraps (just jicama) and ONE would comply except for ridiculous sodium (but now I won’t accept that --- It was Organic Split Pea Soup). The remainder are hard fails - crazy.

5) Understanding how to handle some of the mental battles (Logical vs. emotional brain or Superego vs. Id, etc.). I realized that I didn’t understand individual change much and have sought further information to help. Read two books that were amazing to me --- each with one key concept (that I was seeking) that I keep in mind.
a. “Atomic Habits” by James Clear --- the idea that making your habits part of “identity” makes you fight to keep them.
b. “Switch: How to Change Things When Change Is Hard” by Chip and Dan Heath – this is organizational change focused but can be applied to the individual. I was able to learn from / leverage concept of the Rider (logical) vs. Elephant (emotional) --- thoughts on how to get them to work together (and understand the dynamics).

I would fully go with that “flip the switch” change… just not how it is happening for me. So, I try to stay on the straight and narrow and just keep going!!!

Holly – Awesome how you handled just moving right on forward after that 1 meal. Thinking you should order sometime for your friend a totally MWL compliant meal… (or is that passive aggressive??)…

Wishing everyone an amazing week!!!

Best,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby Daydream » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:13 am

Stephanie, I like seeing the pictures of the food you prepare. Everything looks delicious!
Daydream

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:42 am

Hi Daydream, Thank you for kind comment!!!! I LOVE the food!!! :-D

Hi Journal,

Saving here a couple of things and then a couple of food pics.

Link to JeffN energy density study thread that Mark posted.
viewtopic.php?p=476870&_gl=1*1rxqd4b*_ga*MjA2NTE0MzExMS4xNjYxMzg2NDUy*_ga_M3W192WV0Q*MTY3MzE4MjE2OS4xMzAuMS4xNjczMTgyMjQ3LjQyLjAuMA..#p476870

Marks' reply to me this week that was very helpful.

Mark Cooper wrote:
VegSeekingFit - Great progress with exercise, Stephanie, and excellent adherence all around, too! :thumbsup: I was able to score a box of Sumos, too. I must have been pretty lucky, because I only saw them in the store that one day, and none since. I very much enjoyed them. :D
VegSeekingFit wrote:Framing change as a learning experience. Learning how to remove self-judgment and focus on using mistakes to analyze approaches for improvement and try these (to then be evaluated and adjusted as needed – in sometimes a circular fashion).
This concept, along with bringing dedicated focus to removing as much "friction" as possible from the path of the behaviors I want to adopt and / or maintain, feels like a key contributor to my own development in this way of living.
VegSeekingFit wrote:A few family members / friends who aren’t doing this (and who think I am crazy in that) will actively support me. This helps tremendously in certain situations to have an advocate to get others off my back.
As you observe, the "social aspects" of making and maintaining these changes in behavior can be complicated (and sometimes vexing!). Having folks "in your corner" definitely seems like a real asset.
VegSeekingFit wrote:This one has been a bit touchy with a few folks telling me that I am “too restrictive” (like I have a problem). I have really “re-thought” this at least 2 times and come to the same conclusion!!! I do know myself!!! Also, I eat foods that I like and I do eat as much as I want of the recommended foods (which can be a ton) – I do eat when hungry, not starving or stuffing. Not feeling deprived.
I think two things you address here are important signals that you do not "have a problem": The strong conviction that you have interrogated this question and that you do, indeed, KNOW YOURSELF, and the absence of any feeling of deprivation. Rather, in fact, you describe greatly enjoying the foods you eat and feeling fantastic. Those things are all, to a significant degree, internal, personal experiences that are often invisible to other people; I think, without the necessary context, people assume that you (or I) must feel unhappy, deprived and dissatisfied because that is how THEY IMAGINE THEY WOULD FEEL in the same circumstances. They literally don't have any sense of what it feels like to practice this lifestyle across time, right? Keep on keeping on! :D

This was great! Throw soup over a bowl of chopped Romaine and tomato. This was chunky soup - delicious to combine soup and salad.

Example of just throw recommended foods on a plate (or two plates)... Microwaved some small yukon golds and Jeff burgers. Enjoyed some fruit / veggies from the fridge. Easy and delicious.

Made Mary McD slow cooker pinto beans. Love these!!!

Happy January!
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby frowsyowl » Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:00 pm

Hi, Just dropping by. Everything looks so appetizing!
frowsyowl

01/13 Time & Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:47 am

Hi Jennifer! :-D Thanks for stopping by!!!

Hi Journal,

Making some slow but sure progress on some of my 2023 intentions.
• For simplicity, have ORDERED some shelf-stable food on-line which will be something to carryforward (sometimes must go to multiple stores to find products). Also, have made friends with the potato skin (finally - OMG, yes) --- which saves some time with preparation and I know is better nutritionally.
• For exercise, have explored indoor opportunities – have plans to change gyms to a more neighborhood park-district type of scenario. Will tour this weekend. More to come here.
• For mindfulness / meditation, have been practicing certain walking meditation techniques. Also, reading Dalai Lama’s “The Book of Joy” which is inspirational. Starting each day in a calm way makes for a better day!!!

A few pictures:
Still loving the thick oatmeal with berries, cherries, and banana.

Not pre-loading, but most days preparing a bowl of raw veggies to munch on throughout the day.

LOVING the concept of warm salad. This may not look like much, but it was incredible! Poured a mug of black bean soup over a large bowl of salad. It was so good that I keep eating similar for lunch. Sometimes with potatoes on the side.

First delivery of Pomi NSA. Will be continuing to order on-line certain products to avoid having to shop at multiple stores and sometimes being disappointed.

Below is Behavioral assessment that I will post to Time & Adherence group for 1/13.

Hi to the Group, :)

Hope that everyone’s week is going great and looking forward to reading all of the weekly assessments. Appreciate everyone sharing experiences – and especially Mark sharing feedback and resources. I enjoyed watching some of the JeffN videos posted last week and will check out the remainder this week.

No; still maintaining. Fully aware that I may pivot back to this for lunch and dinner due to less activity over the winter – even when meeting minimal requirements for #10. TBD!

YES. :D Enjoyed the same foods that I have loved throughout. The best “new” thing that I found this week was discovering that I love “warm” salad for lunch. This is a bowl of chopped Romaine or Iceberg with a chopped up large tomato and some onion. I either pour a mug of soup over it or warm smashed beans with corn (and salsa). Delicious!!!

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes –no starving or stuffing. Did have another “eat a ton day” on Wednesday – but ate recommended foods / fashion --- not impacting weight (and not worrying about it, just noting!).

YES!!!! :cool: 7/7 days walked briskly outside. Also, I received my “pseudo” Lemon Twist (though it is purple) --- which has been fun to check out inside – skipping without a jump rope. Also, reviewing gym options --- facing a bit of analysis paralysis --- but have some “mini-goals” for the week which I expect will progress this. I may find a gym that is a better fit for me --- which would perhaps help my attitude about that option a bit. Current gym I belong to is a bit farther than I’d like to travel and it is also a bit intimidating with folks more “dressed up” and trainers looking for customers (I prefer casual and leave me alone unless I ask you…). More to come!

All are comments!

Holly, :-D Thanks for kind comments last week. Agree 100% that it is so EASY to stop a habit (like exercise) when you start skipping it. You are my inspiration with your Pickleball habit!!! Awesome that you can regularly participate in activity that you love!

Mark, :) Thanks for your insight last week! Like how you framed one challenge that I am having. Also, appreciate that “removing friction” was key to your own success. I didn’t list that – but think that I try to do so (to the extent possible!)…

Noella, :D Also relate to your comment from the “10 common mistakes” --- “Their words may be positive or negative, but they carry a lot of power either way.” --- In all honesty, I have tried to be a bit more empathetic in communication with others as I have understood this in my own journey. Not sure folks realize the impact that they can have on others.

Jennifer, Hope you had a great first week!!!! Further to Mark’s comment, I love the thought / guideline to eat recommended foods when hungry – don’t starve or stuff. Awesome --- no need to ever be hungry!!!

A big wave “HELLO” to everyone else!! :D

Wishing all a wonderful weekend and upcoming week!!!

Best,
Stephanie 

VegSeekingFit

Short - Exercise

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jan 14, 2023 6:01 pm

Hi Journal,

So, YAY!!! Found a great fit with a local park district gym. It is truly a gym with basketball, volleyball, pickle ball, indoor walking track, etc. And just regular and nice people...

Felt like going to the Y!! So, yes --- that is for me!!!

Joined and will now work on becoming physically fit!!! :-D

HA!
Stephanie :cool:

VegSeekingFit

Food Pics & Exercise

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:29 pm

Hi Journal!!! :)

I am really happy with the neighborhood gym that I joined (like a happy clam!) ... :lol: Had to get a combination lock first --- have a few lying around, but combinations elude me!!! :lol: Anyway, pretty friendly and diverse group of folks --- just doing their own thing. Nobody trying to sell you anything --- no protein powders, spray on tans, super-bulked muscles, etc.

I likely walked a bit more briskly than normal on the track --- love to pass people... Also, did some time on the Stairmaster / stepmill and the recumbent bike. Have my clothes ready to head over there tomorrow. Only about 1.5 miles from home --- so not many excuses to miss exercise. Looking forward to exploring many of the options but taking it very slowly.... (and will be doing more strength, flexibility, balance, HIIT...)... Goal is simple --- keep bone and muscles, remain independent... also, looking for recreational sport to keep on with.

Have been making little pots of soup --- almost a new one each day. So, usually have 3 different ones in refrigerator. Favorites: Creamy Beany, Mexi Soup, Jeff Longevity, Lentil, Black Bean Chipotle Slow, Split Pea, a tomatoey starchy one (just tomatoes, onions, carrots, garlic, potatoes and / or sweet potatoes, spices). A couple days last week had 4 big mugs of soup.

So, eating a ton of soup, salad, fruit, potato, oatmeal / buckwheat, beans, corn. LOVING lettuce --- of all kinds. Here are a few pics.

Image Saturday grocery haul --- mainly fruits and veggies --- have tons of starch in the pantry.

Image This is a little crockpot of the Creamy Beany soup. Completely simple recipe and it is delicious!!!

Image This is the Creamy Beany over salad. Perhaps very weird, but I love this put soup over salad thing!!!

Image This is a little crockpot of the tomatoey starchy soup. LOVE this!!!! I try to always have some in the refrigerator.

Image Awesome snack!!! Veggies and fruit (OMG - mango!) with some soup. Yum!!!

Image Pre-loaded breakfast today. Was ridiculously hungry!!! Have not been doing much pre-loading lately... alternatively, could have cooked more buckwheat!!!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!!!

Best,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby Ejeff » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:19 am

Stephanie,

I’m so glad you found a gym you feel welcome at. Also, happy i am not the only weird person who enjoys warm salad :)

Your food looks great! Glad you are enjoying it and thanks for sharing photos.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby Chumly » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:40 am

Hi Stephanie,

I just started reading your journal. It's inspiring how much you're writing! I've been doing the minimum, but I need to be more active physically and in this forum! I look forward to catching up on reading your journal.

Michael
Chumly

01/20 Time & Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:30 pm

Hi Erin, :D
Thanks for stopping by! So thrilled to find a good fit with this gym!!! Also, love the warm salad concept (glad to be “weird salad” buds)!!! Your journal may have pointed me in that direction!!!

Hi Michael, :)
Appreciate your dropping in and kind comments. Helped me a ton to journal!! I logged my food for months – and exercise too. I still sometimes log details off-line. Hope that you are enjoying the journaling experience!!!

Hi Journal, :-D
Has been a great, but busy week (mostly work / year-end craziness)! I have finally gotten my act together with my 2023 planner and organizing time / priorities!!! Helps a ton to keep focus proactively on what is important.

One more comment with regard to the gym – focusing on sustainability and right now just making friends with it / making going there early AM a habit. Hilarious – was thinking that I maybe was a bit harsh with prior gym and then THIS WEEK have received 2 emails on protein powder --- like click here to order and “New Year’s Tip: Eat More Protein” … So, that is BS. ;-)

Surprise!!!! Here are a few food pictures:

Loved this plate of red rice, beans, corn, mushrooms roasted, tomato, and lettuce. Have also been making rice, corn, sometimes bean bowls with the starch warm and some mix of raw / roasted veggies. Maybe this will be new standard lunch with fruit.

Another week, another pot of split pea soup!!! (It is already gone, and another is cooking in the crockpot…)

Did pre-load a few times breakfast. No real reason except that I am loving the raw veggies; still maintaining.

Here’s another dump the soup on the salad meal with a bowl of fruit.

My favorite quote of the week may resonate with fellow book lovers…
“Think not of the books you’ve bought as a “to be read” pile. Instead, think of your bookcase as a wine cellar. You collect books to be read at the right time, the right place, and the right mood.” – Luc van Donkersgoed

Below is Behavioral assessment that I will post to Time & Adherence group for 1/20.

Hi to all fellow T&A peeps, :-D

Wow – can’t believe how quickly January is flying by! Hope that everyone is having a great start to the year and building healthy, happy habits!!! Feeling terrific about the checklist this week --- we can all do this --- glad we have each other’s company on the journey!!!! Keep on!

Mostly no; still maintaining. I did do this a few times though – loving raw veggies.

YES. Besides the same things, ate a bunch of whole grain red rice with beans, corn, and various veggies. Loving the rice bowl with veggies concept (may be my go-to lunch)!!

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes –no starving or stuffing. Just a lot of eating recommended foods. :lol:

YES! :cool: Woo-hoo ! 7/7 days.

Victory – Just, YAY – joined a friendly community gym last weekend - which will keep me on point with #10 through the cold dark winter! Have started a habit of going to the gym every morning – I put my clothes out the night before and just brush my teeth, comb hair, change clothes --- and head out the door. Relieved to feel confident about exercising through the winter. Feels INCREDIBLE to get back to AM exercise from an energy level and mood perspective. Before it got dark and cold, I used to love going for a walk first thing (and have missed that!). Perfect also to get out of the house while everyone else is still sleeping.

Loving this quote from a basketball hero...
"I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed." - Michael Jordan

Wishing you all the best of weekends and an amazing upcoming week! Keep going!! You all inspire me!!

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Mid-week post

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:28 pm

A wonderful person shared the below with me today. It completely resonates and seems to me to apply to the McD journey as well – so, recording it here as “food for thought”…

1. The secret to being grateful is no secret. You choose to be grateful. Then you do it again and again. Every day. When you forget, begin again.
2. If you worry too much about what might be, and wonder too long about what might have been, you will ignore and completely miss what is. Switch to be in the present – breathe.
3. You don’t know what the future will bring. So your best strategy for living is to make the best and most positive use of the present. See it as an adventure. Work with the universe and manifest by directing the energy toward positive outcomes – do not go against the traffic. Work synchronously – be ready for it in the right way.
4. Two things, more than anything else, define you daily: your patience when you are struggling, and your attitude when you are not.
5. Patience is not about waiting – it’s the ability to keep a positive attitude while working hard for what you believe in. Keep on with keeping on.

Exercise --- continuing to go to the gym first thing in the AM habit and this is working wonderfully for me now! I am on a 10 day streak… Usually walking the track for 30 minutes, then doing either: stepmill for balance or treadmill to add some hills or bike to do something different. Closing out with 10 minutes of stretching. Just solidifying habit right now and taking it slow --- lots of other activities to do!

Laughed a bit on current MWL thread on volume of food… So, my son is home (interning downtown) and is in awe of my lunches. Have heard everything from “that’s a bountiful lunch” to “no way in H*ll you will eat all that”… Yes, in fact I will (and did)!!

Did a good bit of food prep this weekend: cut veggies, made batch of Jeff burgers, made 2 large pots of soup, made Mary McD crockpot pinto beans, made a few batches of oven fries.

Sharing a few pics… (not sure when I will stop getting amused of this??).
Here are the slow cooked smashed Pinto beans. Added an onion and Mexican spices to pot.

This was the lunch that prompted “no way in H*ll you will eat all that” – delicious! My favorite lunch!!!

Made a soupier pot of split pea with about 1 extra cup water. Doubled my regular portions.

My son roasted potatoes with spices on parchment paper with a red pepper and onion. He normally makes this with olive oil (deleted to share with me) --- and he liked it better this way. Victory!

Just for fun --- my favorite jigsaw puzzle of the year --- Bookish Cats. Pretty awesome and was fun to make as a family.

Hope everyone has a fantastic week! :-D
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals