Stephanie's Journal - Moving Right Along

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Stephanie's Journal - Moving Right Along

Postby Matcha » Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:31 pm

Hi Stephanie!

i always enjoy looking at your colorful pictures! i like listening to dr. Doug Lisle and Jen Houk. He has helped me understand people. You are doing fantastic with exercise!!
Matcha

2/17 Time and Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:50 pm

Hi Starflower! :D Great to see you and glad that you found some value in that exercise on self-compassion!!

Hi Matcha! :-D Thanks for kind comments !!

Hi Journal, :)

YAY – TGIF --- It is Friday!!!

Here are some food pics.

My favorite food ever!!! Behold, the potato fries!!! Eating a bit less of these lately, but a favorite of my son too!

Lunch plate with Stokes and Japanese sweet potatoes with salad veggies, corn, and smashed beans. Can’t love this lunch enough…and it is super fast to put together --- bonus!

Roasted veggies in Pyrex --- zucchini, bell peppers, portabella mushrooms. These are great!

Split pea soup ready to be cooked! I think I do have a problem here… but it is compliant!

Not food!!! Ha! Book recommend --- can read it for free if you have Libby app through your library. One time that AI was right about me --- this is super cute / cartoons that you will enjoy if you have a book problem!! I loved it so much that I ordered a hard copy (and a couple extra for bookish friends) and I am seriously trying to declutter.

Brand new Purple Pickleball paddle!!! Hoping to have mentoring session next week --- got it almost “for free” with work health $ earned by tracking steps and such.

Adventures in Exercise:

Totally loved Deep water running and indoor cycle classes and will continue on with them. These are both great options for folks of different fitness levels to participate in --- like nobody is going to come and jack up the resistance on your spin bike --- it is in your hands!! Had a bit of minor soreness in weird places --- but nothing of note and pretty much all gone now! Only learning that I would share… for Deep water running --- if you try it, make the flotation belt a good clip tighter than you may want to (but where you can still breathe!). I left a bit of slack for first session (not knowing) and fought with the thing the whole time --- and was really wasting energy trying not to be-bop all over the pool… (and yes, I was all over the place! But the next time with tighter belt was much better!)

Still walking the track … still doing parts of this walking and talking. Love the people! Thinking I may swim some laps before one of the DWR classes next week since I have to get in swim suit anyway. These would be lazy laps – think elementary backstroke!!! Actually, the “worst” part of getting in the pool is how to travel back home (with the cold)… I’m always in a hurry on the way out to get to work --- and yeah, easiest to just throw yoga pants and sweat shirt over swimsuit does not cut it in the Midwest winter!!!

Signed up for Highland Park Strong Half Marathon for virtual (learned my lesson last year!) to walk it. Wasn’t really on my bucket list but got the email today and it is supporting victims of last year’s July 4th shooting (heart-strings in overdrive). This used to be called North Shore Classic --- and was the first half marathon that I ran (a long, long time ago). Thinking of walking my favorite yellow hiking trail which is about 6.5 miles X2 with a bit of change to get to 13.1. Have until June 4th to make a plan (but will need to do a few longer walks)!

“Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher storm, but to add color to my sunset sky.” – Rabindranath Tagore

“Ain't nothin' gonna to break my stride
Nobody gonna slow me down, oh no
I got to keep on moving
Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride
I'm running and I won't touch ground
Oh no, I got to keep on moving”--- Matthew Wilder

Below is Behavioral assessment that I will post to Time & Adherence group for 2/17.

Hi Team Time & Adherence,

Here is my week!!! :cool:

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Yes, for breakfast 7/7. Mostly, for dinner 6/7. A couple of times for lunch.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
YES. Still oatmeal plus fruit for breakfast every morning. Loving (as always) roasted potatoes with beans, corn, and salad veggies and / or roasted veggies for lunch. The sweet potato has really grown on me --- I’ve probably eaten more in the last 4 months or so than in the rest of my life combined. Stokes (purple!) are my favorite. Also had Mississippi yams and Japanese sweet potatoes this week with veggies. I continue to try to get sick of split pea soup --- but keep eating it and making a new pot when the old runs out.

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes. Reduced, not eliminated.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes.

6 Eliminate any added oil.
Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes, not starving or stuffing.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
YES. 7/7 days. Took a couple of new (to me) classes at the gym that were fun - deep water running and indoor cycling. Also, did a bunch of brisk walking (a couple of days outside with unseasonably nice weather). Keeping on with body weight exercises for resistance and some stretching exercises.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
Mark – So glad that you and your family liked the “Smells Like Stuffing”! :cool: In case you make it again, have found that you can double the 4 herbs and it is even more fragrant!!!

Bambi --- :) Meant to mention to you last week that I also tried the Pineberries. Thought they were delicious!!! Congrats on your upcoming retirement!!!

Rebecka --- :-D Flowers are an awesome gift!!! Cool that your friend cares about what would be meaningful to you.

Holly --- :D you are rocking the potato Mary’s mini!!!! Also, amazing NSV’s!!!! Keeping it simple for the win!!! Awesome!

Eric --- :) Hope your Super Bowl event went ok --- appreciate what you said last week --- “Congrats to everyone who keeps pushing the rock up the hill.” Onward for sure!!!

Beth -- :D -I always learn from your posts and am inspired by what you have achieved. So sorry that you hurt your knee --- wishing you quick healing.

Gimmelean --- :) Thanks for sharing the 5 things that may make us eat more in winter. I am with you that “the danger zone” falls after the holidays and into the deep winter. Appreciate what you posted here. By the way, how did you post that heart??? OMG --- please share !!!

Greens:-D Your #5 thing from last week… this is one that would be super tough for me to resist too… (sounds delicious!) both the spirit of the friend and what it was!!! Great job in getting right back!!! When I read some posts, I understand that I am “lucky” to not have many (or any?) in my circle who serve / offer food that would be vegan, but not MWL… Hope your husband is healing well!

Noella :) --- Your burrito bowls sound INCREDIBLE!!! I eat something like this, but yours sounds more delicious!!! Glad that you are feeling better!!! Hope your wrist continues to heal.

A huge HI and Keep going to everyone!!! Us MWL’ers need to stick together!!! Every week I am so inspired by this group --- moderators, material shared, fellow participants… Very grateful!!

I really enjoyed the material Mark shared last week.

The James Clear quote resonated with me quite a bit / made me think (scary!). So, to me… thinking that following the MWL checklist is a journey --- not a destination. It makes me happy to follow --- not sure that I could do it if it didn’t… meaning, not liking the process? Anyway, it has helped me to find the joy in eating oatmeal, potatoes, rice, beans, corn with some fruit and veggies --- and totally will never aspire to be perfect here… but I do embrace the thought of just continuing to follow this.

Definitely love JeffN’s “Get a Life” article. For me, find it timely, relevant, impactful. Have a couple of reactions that may not fully align with message / just my thoughts.
1) Last week purchased something like a “Vegan bundle” for like $50… I bought it mainly because Dr. McD has a new talk in it… Anyway, lots of stuff for the $... BUT, even if I took all year, never could get through even half of it --- based on my own prioritization of time. Overwhelming amount of information. I picked maybe 5 items in total to review and downloaded them --- and will keep it to that.
2) The concept of doing things that you love with your time… have been thinking about future retirement and what would a day in the life look like… not bucket list stuff like walking the Appalachian trail or visiting Galapagos Islands, but just a typical day… This is really helpful train of thought to also go a step further and think… well, why are you waiting --- just do it now??

Wishing everyone an exciting and successful upcoming week!! Enjoy!!!

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Mid-week post

Postby VegSeekingFit » Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:43 pm

Hi Journal!!! :)

Well, today I am super-excited to have taken the day off and had my first Pickleball mentoring session AND first time to pick up the paddle (with 15 other newbies and 4 mentors). Was amazingly fun (thanks to Holly for calling me out to just do it!) --- and thinking I can build the skills to play here with some work (at least intermediate?). Had a memorable comment from one of the mentors --- something like – “I like you --- you don’t play paddycake but have velocity…”… Anyway, I was tennis player (only competed in high school, then just casual) --- so that would definitely help in this sport (but doesn’t 100% track --- lots to learn, but have started).

After the sessions, we went out to lunch. I had lunch at restaurant that I feel pretty great about, but not 100% compliant (remembering to track this for Friday). The uncompliant was maybe 1/3 avocado that I will ask them to “hold” next time (if I go to same place). Haven’t had avocado for probably 1.5 years and not Pleasure Trap for me (but in all honesty, it was good!). The murky --- but not ideal --- beans (probably had sodium) and white rice. Otherwise, delightful and I may try to make this 100% compliant from home --- where I control exactly what goes into it. No picture --- I was already “different” with my food ordering!!!

Hawaiian rice salad bowl --- Bed of romaine lettuce with tomatoes and pineapple chunks, rice, black beans, corn (then I would omit the avocado)…

A few pictures…
Totally love this message --- keep positive!!! Helps so much!!! And, seriously --- awesome things will come!!! Bring them!!!

My rainbow lunch that I cannot get enough of!!! Stokes sweet potatoes, Mississippi yams, Mary McD black beans, frozen corn, salad veggies, pico made in the pull-chopper. Super delicious!!!

Here are the black beans getting ready to be smashed!

Dinner --- Jeff burgers (new batch!), oven fries, finger food salad.

Breakfast --- OMG --- still oatmeal and some raw veggies. Takes 5 minutes and is really good.

Cheers to a great week!!! Keep plugging away!! I will also PLUG!!! :lol:
Stephanie 

VegSeekingFit

2/24 Time and Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:38 pm

Hi Journal! :)

“Tumble out of bed
And stumble to the kitchen
Pour myself a cup of ambition
And yawn and stretch and try to come to life….
Jump in the shower and the blood starts pumpin’
Out in the streets, the traffic starts jumpin’
For folks like me on the job from 9 to 5…” --- Dolly Parton!!!

Love this song ❤️--- nothing with my boss who is simply amazing and I am super lucky to have her (and, YES, I told her this today)!!!

A few pictures…

Spring will come!!! Feeling it!!! Photo is from Birds and Blooms (check it out – awesome magazine!)

These were like the same lunch starchy salad contents – just plated differently. Cannot love enough.

Breakfast! I change up the veggies – otherwise, pretty much the same each day. I guess I change fruit sometimes too!!! Best cereal is the thick oatmeal!!!

Progressed a bit intention for community investment… So, joined Social Committee at work again… Also, have scheduled time with a BOD peep on Chicago’s Angels and looking to find a connection for another neighborhood charity to assess skills vs. need.

Below is Behavioral assessment that I will post to Time & Adherence group for 2/17.

Hi Team Time & Adherence, ❤️

Hope that everyone is doing great! Can’t believe that next week we are on to March --- spring is (almost) in the air!!!

We had a nasty ice storm the other night and lost power for several hours (along with at least 100K neighbors). The tree branches were super-heavy being covered in ice --- when a small one fell onto our roof --- sounded like a whole tree! Thankfully this was in daylight and could confirm that the roof wasn’t about to come down…

Always for breakfast, infrequently for lunch, mostly for dinner.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
YES. Pretty consistent this week with hot whole grain cereal (mostly oatmeal) with frozen fruit for breakfast, huge starchy salad for lunch, soup / salad / fruit / potato for dinner. I love all of these meals!

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.

Yes.

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
No – had about 1/3 avocado on a salad eaten out at restaurant. Not Pleasure Trap area for me – or I wouldn’t have touched it (I guess I could have left it on the plate anyway!). Back on point. Salad also had white rice and black beans (probably not NSA)… but I didn’t record any other boo’s for that.

Yes.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn, and dried fruit).
Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes.

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes, still not starving or stuffing… always eating when hungry. Mostly, this is 3 meals for me --- think I have adjusted portions a bit to have HUGE lunch (sometimes it takes me a few takes to finish; other times it is inhaled!)….

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Mostly - 5/7 days. Brisk walking – indoor track, treadmill hills, outside. Had tons of fun playing Pickleball for the first time (THANK YOU, Holly!) and also shooting baskets / dribbling in the gym (like I had the whole gym to myself with MANY baskets!). Have “benched” myself for now (so a boo!) due to injuring leg– very minimal pain, but it is not right. Sometimes I feel so great following this checklist that I momentarily forget that my enthusiasm far exceeds my fitness level. Something to work on…

Some comments on the Adherence Fatigue topic.
So, I combed through this thread a few months ago (I think I was looking for trouble and not sure why). Anyway, think this is a great topic. Love the thread --- Jeff’s examples and Wildgoose’s response in particular in this thread resonated with me. After ruminating on this for a bit, feel pretty ok here (but understand that this isn’t an all-encompassing list)… Regardless, I put in the not worrying about category – just be aware --- (for me --- best not to worry!!)…

For me, I have a secret weapon of being as disagreeable as they come (a la Doug Lisle’s “Perfect Personality” lecture) --- don’t want to fight / debate / argue with anyone, but honestly do not give a hoot if anyone thinks I should eat “X” instead of salad / baked potato (like why would they care). Mostly I have found that if you don’t make a big deal out of something, folks don’t even notice what you do (they are primarily self-focused). If folks do notice / say something, then I have also found that having a sense of humor helps. Similarly, I think to JeffN / Doug Lisle posts on how to communicate where the goal is really to deflect the focus of conversation to another topic.

Example I would share --- was in Hamburg, Germany maybe 6 years ago for work --- not following MWL checklist, but totally was no meat, dairy, oil… Guy who arranged dinner was “bargaining” with hostess for something I could eat (I was one of a few clients he wanted to keep happy) --- mostly folks wanted to eat huge schnitzel plates… anyway, she says loud in a thick German accent… WHO is this “super vegetarian”… and I just went up and announced myself as “super vegetarian” --- not a spot that I like to be in, but even all of these years later I can LAUGH about it…(was really hilarious!)…

Other thing that helps me is planning / bringing own food. I just assume that this is needed and I have all kinds of choices available to just bag and bring. Not a big deal. If I don’t need it, throw it back into refrigerator.

I think the above covers maybe 1-6 examples from Jeff post…

7 is exercise --- doesn’t bother me at all --- actually something that I like a great deal and used to do --- have found perfect time for…. Not tiring.

8 --- well, not sure … but I don’t sweat it!!! (I know what peanut butter sandwich eating will result in… Lesson learned!!!) :mrgreen:

Wishing everyone the best of weeks! Spring is ALMOST here!!!! Thank you to everyone for the group!!! LOVE it!!! ❤️❤️❤️

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Mid-week post

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:22 pm

Hi Journal! :)

Just posting a few pictures here... going out to a party and thought would be good to post what I am bringing and how this is really easy and only takes about 5 minutes!!! :D

Took a bag of Jeff burgers out of freezer + grabbed banana and some veggies and oven fries from the fridge.

Bought a veggie tray (LAZY of me, yeah?) and some grapes when shopping yesterday to share.

Calling this "rainbow plate" that I had for late breakfast today. Skipped the oatmeal and went straight to the starchy salad. Added some fruit - mango and grapes. Incredibly delicious!!

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Another Mid-week post

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:15 pm

Hi Journal!!! :)

Guess I have time on my hands with being "man down" for exercise... ;-)

Wanted to share one thought that is SHARED on this site... but just how it has worked for me.

Clean your palate. Like time & adherence will change your taste buds. It is pretty amazing!!! :cool: I am totally eating sweet potatoes and lettuce of all kinds happily --- like I stock up on them... If anyone told me a year ago that I would be doing this, I would have had to call BS on them!!! :lol: (Like I love lots of adherent foods and these would not have been top of list...)

Was on a Zoom call with some Nov. 2021 McD 12 day peeps tonight and we were talking about how when you eat clean --- things like celery taste so salty and things like bell pepper taste so sweet.... Pretty incredible how this may happen!

Anyway, want to ENCOURAGE everyone to just keep going!!! It is also mentioned on this site that it gets easier and easier!!! True that!!! :-D

We all walk together!! But start at different places, have different challenges...

Today's breakfast... looks like yesterday's breakfast!!! :lol: But that's ok!!!

OK, well I have found the secret to bliss!!! HA --- put some fruit in the starchy salad!!! Incredible!!!

Anyway, anyone reading this.... want to ENCOURAGE you to keep going!! It does get easier AND tastes change...

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby Starflower » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:11 pm

Hey, Stephanie! :)

Thank you for this! It’s just what I needed to hear right now. Love the Arthur Ashe quote! Your food looks delicious, as always!

Wishing you a wonderful week!!!
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

3/3 Time and Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:05 am

Hi Starflower! :) Thank you for kind words and I am glad that you liked this quote!

Hi Journal! :cool:

Here’s a few pictures…

Buckwheat instead of oatmeal for breakfast! Delicious!

Lunch that I brought to work. There is like ½ can of cannellini beans in there and 1 cup of frozen corn. A few co-workers were envious of my lunch vs. the cafeteria options… I also brought a bag of carrots and a bag of oven fries. Delicious!

My favorite lunch – using JeffN Healthy placemat concept and just putting foods on the plate! Love adding fruit right in there – this up’s my lunch game! I’ve tried mango and grapes --- going to expand it out next week!

How my exercise is going right now! I did read this cute book and not to give spoilers, but in the end… the Couch Potato discovered the joys of the outside world and moving around! Anxious to get back to brisk walking at least!!! Soon!

Totally for fun – was shared with me and I do find some truth here!

Below is Behavioral assessment that I will post to Time & Adherence group for 3/3.

Hi Team Time & Adherence, ❤️

Marching into March!!! Hope everyone is having a great start to the month! :-D

Always for breakfast, rarely for lunch, mostly for dinner.

YES. Still eating oatmeal or buckwheat with frozen fruit for breakfast. For lunch, making either a plate or bowl of various starches with salad veggies and fruit --- love this (and each one is different and only takes like 10 minutes to put together). Lots of soup / salad / fruit / potato for dinner. Eating a ton of split pea soup and also Mary McD’s chipotle black bean (recipe on this website – I add corn, carrots, and celery). Had the perfect 50/50 plate at lunch out at PF Chang’s --- Buddha’s Delight steamed (hold the tofu) with brown rice – easy!

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes, no starving and no stuffing.

No, 0/7. My leg is getting better, but not yet up to par. Gives me time to consider how best to avoid down-time in the future --- like brisk walking outside in the flats of Illinois is a pretty safe activity for me – so will pick up there when the time is right. I guess push-ups and crunches have also never caused me to get injured either!

All are comments! :)

Thank you so much, Mark for insightful and positive comments every week. Your words of wisdom and support are much appreciated!!!

I understand that if any of us missed Wednesday’s presentation live by Dr. McDougall (from Mark’s closing message last week) that it will be published to his official YouTube channel over the next week to watch at your leisure. It sounds like a great one!!!

Eric – Loved the story you shared last week about how your dinner party went!!! Great how you were able to bring your own food and nobody was phased about that. Sometimes it is uncomfortable to just ask … but what an awesome outcome!!! Hope that you had an amazing birthday!

Gimmelean – You always have the best one-liners!! Love it!! ❤️ With your story of eating (or NOT) in Germany, I had to chuckle because at the end of my dining experience --- think they threw the breadbasket at me…

Holly – You make veggies sound amazing!! Loved your story on how you avoided the dreaded cookie!!

Waving a huge “hi” to everyone!!! Thank you so much for sharing your experiences here --- helps so much! :D

Borrowed the below from my girlfriend --- love this thought and it reminded me of how much this group inspires me!!

Hope that everyone has an excellent upcoming week!!!

Best,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby Ejeff » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:15 am

Stephanie, your food looks so delicious. That’s great you are setting an example for your coworkers also. Not sure if you enjoy watching YouTube videos, but lately I’ve been watching Broccoli Mum. You should check her out as I think you would enjoy her personality. She is very bubbly and seems to have endless energy. I think of you that same way. She lives in the UK.

Have a great week, and I hope your injury heals quickly.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Mid-week post

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:50 pm

Hi Erin! :)

I don't watch much YouTube, but I do always consider watching things specifically recommended to me!!! So, this Broccoli Mum was totally on-point for me --- someone I would LOVE to meet... Watched maybe a 10 minute one where she was so passionate about "courgettes" / zucchini --- that it reminded me of myself with tomatoes!!! Also, I do have a bit of this in me... it is why it is best if I go for a walk or go to the gym first thing in the morning --- so as not to be annoying to others in my house!!! :lol: Anyway, THANK you for the recommend and for kind comments. I will totally watch more Broccoli Mum!!! (For others, she follows Starch Solution --- totally 50/50 plate, LOVES produce, has amazing energy with 2 young kids! It is not fully MWL --- but she has done fantastic losing 60 lbs. -- looking great and obviously feeling awesome too!)

Hi Journal,

Just a few pictures .... have been experimenting with the fruit with the salad --- who knew??? :-D

Seriously LOVED this... Tried an orange with the salad --- thumbs up!!! Also, same Stokes / purple sweet potato ... the other I only understand as "Red" per the label on it... but this "Red" is fantastic --- really creamy and delicious!!! (but it is ORANGE!)...

Have a lot of soup to eat --- so breakfast was salad and black bean soup (sorry oatmeal!)... The salad was amazing --- bought kiwi, pineapple, and mango and mixed it in with the veggies. Also, made kind of a "pico" out of pineapple, mango, lime juice, onion, pepper in the pull-chopper... Totally upping my salads!!!

Another amazing salad... with maybe 1/3 can of garbanzo beans. Eaten (again for breakfast --- need to use the soup) with Split Pea soup. For this one... threw in roasted mushrooms, huge tomato on the vine, cucumber, kiwi, pineapple, mango, romaine, onion, more of the fruity pico.... OMG -- Yum!!!!

I adore roasted mushrooms!!! These are baby bellas --- there are really a LOT of them in there --- seems like they "cook down" roughly to 1/3 of original size. I can eat these with anything!!!

This is me at first Pickleball session!!! Was in the PB Club newsletter with the other newbies. Super excited to be included in a round robin tournament of some of the "mentees" in roughly 2 months... I guess that my excitement is only diminished a bit by still being in trying to heal mode... Not discouraged, but BOO that window shopping with my girlfriend today (walking, not brisk!) had aggravated injury... Make it a double boo!!!

Well, I hate to end on a negative note!!!

"I gotta feeling
That tonight's gonna be a good night
That tonight's gonna be a good night
That tonight's gonna be a good, good night..." -- The Black Eyed Peas

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby Artista » Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:20 pm

Hi Stephanie! :) Thank you for your comment for me on the MWL thread and for your good wishes for my mom! She is such a treasure, she's 97 and still on her feet, in her right mind, and living on her own, but she needs more help now and would be much safer in assisted living and where she is closer to her daughters. We found a really nice place so I’m hoping she’ll be happy there. Thanks for reminding me of Mark’s advice about being kind and gentle with oneself. I need to remember that!

I appreciate you sharing your thoughts about the 12 day. I’m keeping it in mind if it starts to seem like I need more support. It’s nice to know that that option is available. I'm very inspired by the success of the folks who have done the 12 Day like you and Beth.

I haven’t visited the park with the swings in awhile but I want to do that now that spring is getting here. I’ve missed it. I’m glad to hear I’m not the only adult going down the slides! :D I totally agree, we should always have fun, especially when the road gets a little bumpy.

I appreciate seeing the pictures you post of your food. I know that simplicity and repetition are important for time and adherence but sometimes I get bored with my food so it's good to see pictures of other options.
Artista

3/8 just another post....

Postby VegSeekingFit » Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:39 pm

Hi Artista! :-D

I am so glad that your mom is doing well and in good spirits (OMG, 97 -- you go MOM!!!)!!! Maybe still adjustment period .... glad that you have each other and hope that she finds awesome things to be happy about with the change (I bet she will)!!

Have one other thought to share on the 12 day... best time and $ I ever spent --- amazing program and has helped me beyond belief / life-changing (would recommend it to anyone and would do it again --- especially if any family / friend will join me)... Just also remember that there are several folks on the MWL thread who have been successful with this thread alone (and others who we never hear about who just rock it at home)... some still post; others met their goals and moved on. Also, would recommend MWL group to anyone (willing to follow MWL...). I think "success" comes in flavors ... and that we can all define what that means to us individually. So, you made me think about that!!! Always consider myself a work-in-progress trying to do better every day!!! :lol:

YES!!! I now LOVE the slides --- so you are not alone!!! I do only do that on weekdays when kids at school!!! :lol:

I love to post my food... share pics (back and forth) with some Nov 2021 McD peeps - so it is easy... There are so many awesome pics too on the recipes section of the website (and Mark Cooper's journal link too!)... I also love to see other people's pictures --- helps a ton!!!

Hi Journal, :)

Made a few really easy things (SURPRISE!); so posting a few pics...

I can't stop making Split Pea Soup!!! Carrots in there are mainly yellow... tasting the same (and that would be amazing)!!!

Favorite meal = soup, salad, fruit, potato!!! Challenge me!!! :)

This is keeping on with the fruit in the salad!!! So, brown rice, garbanzo, veggies, and fruit. At the bottom is a bed of Romaine, big tomato chopped, cucumber... I have all of the ingredients ready to throw in --- LOVE this!!!

So, this is Ralph Waldo Emerson quote on his ideas of SUCCESS. I keep this handy as "food for thought" on the topic. How to define it. What does it mean to you? What does it mean to others?

Wish everyone the best!
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:22 am

Gosh I'm coming here just to see your beautiful food pics! and your beautiful YOU PIC! at pickle ball...that's where I met my hubby :) pickle ball in the park.

Seriously though, your food pics make things look very appealing and palatable. The Pleasure Trap is making me believe that theater popcorn and "just a little bite" of cake or pie are better than Japanese sweet poatoes and rainbow salad! I'll be coming by frequently for inspiration :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

03/10 Time & Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:09 pm

Hi Heidi! ❤️

OMG --- love that you met your hubby on PB court!!! So cool!!! Mine --- I have been trying to get intrigued with this sport as he was a phenomenal racquetball player… but so far, no go… (I will continue to try !!)

Best of wishes to you as you get out of the Pleasure Trap… Only would offer this (maybe helpful, maybe not)… If you can totally STOP eating off McD foods for a period, your taste buds totally change. Was tremendously helpful for me (and makes it so much easier).

Thank you for kind comments on food pics!!!

Hi Journal, :cool:

Challenging myself to be brief!!! We shall see, yeah? :lol:

Just be happy… It is Friday! (TGIF!) Enjoy!!! Played a bunch of games last night that are usually reserved for the weekend… Like Yahtzee, Jenga, and Ants in the Pants (don’t ask!)… So, how to top this??

Breakfast --- salad and oatmeal with fruit!! Usually I put in frozen blueberries and a chopped up banana with the oatmeal. Delicious and fast!

Lunch --- can’t be more excited about just following the JeffN healthy placemat (I am not a great cook and the food is awesome anyway!) – so this was amazing… I took the chunky parts out of Mary McD black bean soup and microwaved a couple of sweet potatoes (Stokes and Red (but really orange))… Put with romaine, tomato, cucumber, onion and rest of pre-chopped fruit I had in the refrigerator (had to USE IT or LOSE IT) --- kiwi, pineapple, mango and the pico. LOVE It!!

Keep going… Believe in yourself!!!

Below is Behavioral assessment that I will post to Time & Adherence group for 3/10.

Hi Time & Adherence Peeps, :)

Hope that everyone is enjoying the week!! We had a clip of fluffy snow last night (like we were living in a snow globe!) which is mostly melted now. Sign of spring is that some of our bulbs are growing --- we even have a few Snowdrops that are flowering (even under the snow)!!! ❤️

Collectively would estimate this to be about 70% of the time.

YES. This works great for me!!! I am still eating mostly the same foods!! Have “discovered” adding some fruit to the plate with the veg and starch and will only say that this is terrific and has upped my lunch game!!!

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes, no starving and no stuffing.

No, 0/7. Trying to not get impatient or annoyed (at myself because this could only be self-induced)… as injury heals. Really glad that I listened to Mark and built skills on other points (talking to 5 & 7) earlier in “my journey” to improve self-talk and think of reasons / options to handle… in a positive way. This too shall pass…

I am humbled (but mostly excited) that Dr. McD shared my story in his new Hunger presentation (V2) ❤️!! Thank you Beth, for encouraging me to send it on. I am happy to be #xxx,000 individual who can attest that the Program works if you follow it (seriously --- the more stories the better…). I also want to encourage others --- I am happy that my verbiage made it to the slide (and OMG, Dr. McD said it!!!)... :D

I love this Program

I love the food

I love the results

This is what I would like to scream from the rooftops… (but I will hold myself back)…

I am so grateful to Dr. McD, the whole McD team (especially JeffN, Tiffany, Heather, Mary) and to this group (especially our awesome moderators – Mark and Wildgoose) for wonderful information, support, community. My heart is full! ❤️ Thank you so much to all! I 100% believe that this program is amazing and life-changing!!!

Hope that everyone has a fantastic upcoming week!!! :-D

Best,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Mid-week post

Postby VegSeekingFit » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:12 pm

Hi Journal! :-D

Going to share a few pics... Has been a challenging weekend and Monday with my little kitty (or my shadow as my hubby would say) being really sick and taking her for tests / trying to keep her happy and calm, fed and watered, etc. I have had no issues sticking to plan... Just, I do get very unhungry when I am sad (which is quite rare) --- so I ate fairly starch focused for some meals (as I have no interest in a strange BMI... ). Why I am posting --- just had a ray of hope from the vet...and my little kitty is looking a bit better!! :) So, fingers crossed and hope is better than nothing! I will TAKE it...

Completely different breakfast --- NO, psych --- still oatmeal!!! :lol:

Love the roasted potatoes. Microwaved about 12 of them and then cut lengthwise into 2-3 pieces and roasted.

Made more Jeff Burgers. Put in there maybe more than enough corn --- like a cup!! Also added: chopped bell pepper, chopped red onion, mushroom pieces and stems. Was 1 can of NSA kidney beans and 1 can of NSA black beans with 2 cups oatmeal and 4 T. tomato sauce with a good dribble of hot sauce. They do taste great. :lol:

Some inspiration!!

Best to all,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

PreviousNext

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals