Stephanie's Journal - Moving Right Along

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Stephanie's Journal - Moving Right Along

Postby VegSeekingFit » Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:05 pm

Hi to All, :D

Wanted to start a new and different type of journal. Starting off with a ray of hope (instead of a feeling of desperation)!!! :)

I am aiming for "footloose and fancy free", but that may be a bit stretching it for me --- so will go with take a breath, relax, just follow the program. I am 18 months in and either feel terribly terrific or freakin' fantastic. So, wherever you are.... KEEP GOING!!!

"Nothing is impossible. The word itself says 'I'm Possible!'" - Audrey Hepburn

Nothing special about me... I have had 4 prior attempts. Total gratitude to McD folks --- both in the 12 day program and MWL / Time & Adherence weekly group.

Below is my last journal (includes 2 times on-boarding). Please excuse any cringe-worthy posts!!! :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=60553

Not huge with posting images of self --- but here is one ... Image (Taking selfies to make sure that I wear different outfits at work -- OMG!!!)

Love this poem from Ralph Waldo Emerson... Check it out... Wish this for all!!!

Anyway, keep going!!! You can do it!!! I am planning to also keep going!!!

Best,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Re: Stephanie's Journal - Moving Right Along

Postby Matcha » Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:17 am

Hi Beautiful Person!
Matcha

Postby Ejeff » Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:18 am

Way to go Stephanie, good idea to start a new journal. I love how your 2 feelings are terrific and fantastic! I feel the same too.

You look great and so happy. Glad you have had such awesome success.

For everyone just starting out, as Stephanie says, just follow the program it works.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

11/4 Time & Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:12 pm

Hi Matcha, Hi Erin! Thanks for visiting !!! :-D :)

Hi New Journal,

I think that this is going to sound like a post from old journal. But, with a new attitude! :lol:

Not much to say except super excited that my son is coming home tonight. He is going to do the virtual 15K with me tomorrow. Warned him to bring his rain gear --- looking to be a rainy morning. (We won’t melt!!) :eek:

I’m making a huge pot / 8 quart of Heather’s Lentil Soup (from this website). It smells delicious. I think that I put in more potato chunks than called for (starching it up!).

Beautiful morning sunrise from this week.

This is a little pot of Sloppy Lentils --- in a sloppy pot!!!! These were delicious --- had them mainly over corn.

Seemingly I need to pay attention more to water / oat ratio. Very inconsistent!!! :)

Had a few meals of just plain brown basmati rice with various veggies. Very quick and tasty.

Totally new and different picture!!! Yesterday’s batch. They are already history. Dream thought --- someone will just make these for me on demand.

Below is Behavioral assessment that I will post to Time & Adherence group for 11/4.

Hi Team Time & Adherence, :) :-D :D

Happy November!!! Hope everyone’s month has gotten off to a great start!

Lots of great energy here already!!! YAY!!!

Wow, loving Beth quote from above --- “WE CAN DO THIS and it is sure easier and more fun doing it together!” :)

Noella --- LOVE LOVE this from your report ---“I feel ready to claim my power to make the necessary changes.” --- awesome post! You go girl!! :-D

Anyway, here is my weekly check-in:

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Rarely.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
Yes! :) Ate lots of oatmeal and fruit, potatoes, veggie / bean soups, rice and veggies, and sloppy lentils and corn this week. Loving the Envy apples. Also, the frozen chopped kale is great to add to any soups (who knew?)!

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes. Reduced, not eliminated. :-D

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes. :cool:

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).
Yes. :-D

6 Eliminate any added oil.
Yes. :D

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).
Yes. :)

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes – I always follow this one. :-D

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes. :cool: Walked briskly 7/7 days. Loving the “crunch, crunch, crunch” when walking through the leaves! Made friends with my phone’s flashlight app due to the morning darkness. Some of the more macabre Halloween decorations (think things hanging from trees) were getting to me! Better in the light!

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
Thanks Mark, Jeff, WildGoose for this group! It is fantastic to have a place where we can all practice these behaviors together! Thanks to all fellow members for sharing! You all inspire me!

“Enjoy the journey and try to get better every day. And don’t lose the passion and the love for what you do.” – Nadia Comaneci

Hope that everyone has a great upcoming week!

Best,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby Lizzy_F » Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:19 pm

Stephanie!!! Hello!!! I LOVE your new journal! Terrific and fantastic! I love your positive energy and want you to know that I gather so much inspiration from you when you don't even realize it. Thank you so much for continuing to share your journey. You make a difference in my journey!

You are SO BEAUTIFUL and I'm so happy you shared your work outfit and your gorgeous smile with us! This is a broad generalization for sure, but I think so many of us women are SO CRITICAL of our appearance - our body, our clothing, our age related things, etc. etc. etc. I would love more sharing of EACH OTHER so we can celebrate our individual and collective selves!!!!! So bring the selfies girlfriends! :D

OMG your food looks DELICIOUS! I need to start making an effort to take some food pics and post them. I just want to eat YOUR food! I want those sloppy lentils. I need to get more organized and make some stuff this week.

Looking forward to celebrating this journey together!
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:29 pm

Beth!!! :D :-D :)

Hey, Awesome person, thank you for your kind comments that will make me :oops: BLUSH... I LOVE your journal too and appreciate you a ton!!! Glad that we landed on this path together... You have made a difference in my journey too (and are inspirational)!!! Also, open invite anytime to come over for food!!! We have tons!!!!

Going to tell you that I am taking you up (today) on your selfie thing... So, challenge on... :lol: (DON'T worry to other folks, I won't post many!!!!)

Hi Journal!!! :)

Going to post a few pics... I am DONE DONE DONE with recording separately (on paper) my food unless something happens that would nudge me to revert to that. So, wasn't really onerous to do, but think time is better spent elsewhere... (or maybe thinking most folks don't record food?... Not sure, anyway... I am pretty not worried about this so easy to drop for me... for now...) As long as I am sticking to recommended food, not finding the point...

This was virtual 15K on Saturday. Super grateful that my son walked it with me... OMG... We had weather "emergency" (think BLUSTERY DAY) that even the actual event coordinators were addressing with 60 mph gusts of wind. Also, a bit of sideways rain... Crazy election signs causing havoc flying all over the streets and stuff... We lost power intermittently. However, did this happily... Not really sure that I have anything to prove, but did want to finish. So, was really going for having fun and doing it (achieved!) !!! In past, have gone longer, faster, etc.... So what??? Last time I remember going this far in one clip was 2012 --- we used to have Walter Payton event locally where there was a 15K option and relay -- 3 X 5K...

No real measuring here... Went about 11 miles in 3:10 with a bio-break.

Here is another iteration of the Longevity soup... My son really loved it!!! :) Not quite as starchy as it looks! (My fault...)

This was the Heather Lentil soup. Also, delicious and easy!!!

I read / listened to craziest audio book today --- "Quitters, Inc." -- Stephen King... OMG... Check it out if you are ok with a bit creepy...

Wishing all an incredible week. :) :-D :D

Cheers,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

Postby Lizzy_F » Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:44 am

Stephanie!!! OMG your words of friendship and support in my journal are EVERYTHING!!!!

Congrats to you and your son for completing the 5K (11 MILES??? Isn't that like..3 5K's or something??? 4???) Especially considering the horrible weather on Saturday! YOU GO GIRL! And you and your son are SO CUTE together - you both look so happy you made me smile. :D

More delicious food!

It sounds like you have been very on point with your food and that things are stable for you. I don't blame you for taking whatever time you have allocated to writing it down and using that time for something else. I haven't been logging my food. Maybe there will be times on this journey where that will make sense. Right now, I am firmly back into the "KISS" mode of meal planning, so it doesn't seem to be very relevant to write it down. LOL my memory isn't what is used to be, but I can still remember that I'm having split pea soup for lunch pretty much every day this week! :D If I have to fine tune things to get where I want to go, then some sort of tracking might make sense. Just doesn't seem to right now.

Hope you are having an awesome day!
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:23 pm

Stephanie!

It's wonderful to see your beaming beautiful face! and those awesome food pics...love it!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

11/11 Time & Adherence Report

Postby VegSeekingFit » Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:23 pm

Hi Heidi!!! Thanks for kind comments! :-D

Hi Beth!! :mrgreen: :) Thanks so much and you go girl! My son is an awesome person and totally one thing that I know that I have done right in the world (raising him). Yes, 5k = (roughly) 3.1 miles… We were doing a virtual 15k without reporting back time or anything (I got official stuff to be in person, but nobody wanted to go with me) – just trying to make sure completed at actually over the 9.3 miles… No sandbagging!!!

I did the recording food (just listing foods, not measuring) for maybe 90% of the days (about 18 months) --- until I just stopped (obviously not required by this program but was getting some info from this previously). I am now putting it into my “So What” / Don’t Worry category (along with counting calories, assessing nutrient sufficiency, etc.) --- where it was interesting to me in the beginning to see what meals worked for me and even later --- seeing how my eating evolved to mostly eliminate condiments, etc. and get less fussy with recipes. I also stopped recording exercise – just making sure to not be sedentary…

Hi Journal! :-D :D
I do focus on not having goals right now in this space (beyond managing weight in range / adjusting veggie and fruit / starch ratio). Just to follow holistically the checklist behaviors. I think about this sustainability concept and the simplicity concept (or the opposite = onerous)… So, opportunities there that I see that make sense for me to adjust… doing it as identified.
Thinking of 2 NSV’s this week: 1) Can walk a clip comfortably and could go farther --- my legs do not rub together (which they did at beginning of this journey) and 2) Super calm – had 2 work things yesterday that I would have previously fretted a bit about --- but no worries, and walking the walk here – not just saying. One was facing down 12 (potentially) angry men… Unscathed and good outcome!

Here are a few food pics…
Calling these pretty potatoes!! They are fingerlings and were super easy to make. Just give them a bath and then chunk and roast them. A keeper!!!

Pretty awesome alternative to oatmeal!! This was first iteration – have made it a bit bigger and creamier.

Had a couple rice / roasted veggie plates. This was my one that used white rice (not compliant, mistake)…

Sometimes I don’t pay attention and pictures help me. So, trying to ramp up the starch – not quite achieved here. I split this into two meals and added a plate of potatoes.

Beautiful purple oatmeal soup! Have to love it!!!

Below is Behavioral assessment that I will post to Time & Adherence group for 11/11.

Hi Fellow Team Time & Adherence Travelers, :-D

Hope that everyone is having an awesome week!!!! Overall, I’m feeling very positive about following the behaviors this week. So, YAY to that! Hope everyone else is as well!

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.
Mostly not.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.
MOSTLY, YES. Dinging myself for a dumb thing. I did have a meal with white rice (my bad, husband made it and I didn’t realize, but perhaps should have). Anyway, just calling that out for what it is. Anomaly, not on-going issue. Guess I just better make my own rice! Otherwise, ate lots of oatmeal and fruit, potatoes, vats of veggie / bean soups, salad, roasted veggies, fruit. Tried the Rave apples this week --- hmm… a bit tart. A shout-out to [b]WildGoose – came face to face with Bob’s Red Mill Creamy Buckwheat last weekend and remembered it on your “products you like” post from last month --- pretty darn delicious --- thumbs-up!!! [/b]

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.
Yes. :) Reduced, not eliminated. For this week, I used no sugar, but did salt some potatoes. I do totally eat more potatoes with the salt which is fine for me right now, but may do this putting ½ teaspoon in a jar with some other spices to make sure I am not over-doing sodium.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).
Yes. :D

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).

6 Eliminate any added oil.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.

8 Don’t drink your calories especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
Yes –no stuffing or starving. :D I am unlikely to ever stuff (never been a volume eater) --- and I am calling it hunger if that cup of veggie / starch soup is attractive. This is working fine for me – so I don’t worry about it (anymore).

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes. :D Walked briskly 7/7 days. Still loving the “crunch, crunch, crunch” when walking through the leaves (but it’s almost OVER)! Have continued to collect fleece for chillier walks --- if anyone is in same colder weather situation, check out Target --- fleece and sweater lined tights (will fit under any pants) and particularly awesome --- “over the knee” socks – soft and warm. OK, commercial over… Just trying to dress like a polar bear when needed…

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
Rebecka22 – I am totally with you on instinct to deal with stress!!! OMG… Not sure if helpful, sometimes I will boil ginger chunks in hot water (since you aren’t liking tea) – has kind of a subtle spicy taste… Also, soup always serves a bit as “comfort food” to me when sick or wanting warm something! Honestly, finding comfort now in “happy” Spotify playlists and laughing…

Everyone --- Does anyone have any specific food plans for Thanksgiving food? OMG – it is coming up quickly! I’ve been asked to bring hummus / veggie tray to event – hummus is MWL ok (except have to be conscious of sodium in the hot sauce – TJ’s has a good low sodium one…). Was thinking to do a tray of potatoes or sweet potatoes as well. Maybe I will bring fruit too…

Appreciate this group. Thank you, Mark for your support!!! Also, thanks to all moderators and participants!!! I continue to learn and grow from everyone’s experience and feedback. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend! :D

Best,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

Postby Matcha » Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:13 pm

Hi Stephanie,

As always your food pictures look good.

i find that rice dishes to be well received at our family Thanksgiving potlucks. I've made special rice dishes from recipes. The one they liked the most was the easiest :D . Get some frozen trader joe rice, add veggies to give it a good fall color. i added seasoning. They never had kala namak and enjoyed the interesting new flavor. my sister in law and brother are foodies. my sister prides herself on being able to taste out ingredients. well, she didn't figure out kala namak!!
Matcha

Postby Matcha » Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:16 pm

Hi Stephanie,

As always your food pictures look good.

i find that rice dishes to be well received at our family Thanksgiving potlucks. I've made special rice dishes from recipes. The one they liked the most was the easiest :D . Get some frozen trader joe rice, add veggies to give it a good fall color. i added seasoning. They never had kala namak and enjoyed the interesting new flavor. my sister in law and brother are foodies. my sister in law prides herself on being able to taste out ingredients. well, she didn't figure out kala namak!!
Matcha

Postby Matcha » Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:19 pm

Hi Stephanie,

As always your food pictures look good. Love the picture of you and your son!

i find that rice dishes to be well received at our family Thanksgiving potlucks. I've made special rice dishes from recipes. The one they liked the most was the easiest :D . Get some frozen trader joe rice, add veggies to give it a good fall color. i added seasoning. They never had kala namak and enjoyed the interesting new flavor. my sister in law and brother are foodies. my sister in law prides herself on being able to taste out ingredients. well, she didn't figure out kala namak!!
Matcha

Sunday thoughts...

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:05 pm

Thanks, Matcha !!!! Going to think about this rice dish idea --- maybe I also do a rice and bean salad in lieu of potatoes. Definitely doing fruit and hummus... :-D

Hi Journal, :D

Wanted to save a couple of links:

WildGoose amazing fruit tray of turkey --
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=62322&start=30#p632948

Mark post with the various self-efficacy links / behavioral intervention studies (there are links in the footnotes) -- a lot of them
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=62322&start=30#p632955

I did some batch cooking yesterday. So, ending this with FOOD! :mrgreen:

This was a batch of Jeff Burgers - cannellini, dark red kidney, 2 c. oatmeal, 4 T tom sauce, 1 can mushroom pieces & stems, 1 c. frozen corn, a few handfuls red onion, a few good shakes of hot sauce. HILARIOUS --- my husband was interested in the bean burger making process --- so watched and then sampled one (first time EVER). So, I will not report out the condiment used, but I did tell him that he ruined it... :lol:

Here they are all cooked...

More sloppy lentils. I almost took picture in pot --- and then note that it is another sloppy pot --- seemingly I fill it to the max each time... :lol:

Unexpected oven fries. Already gone. I bought more of the tiny potatoes to chunk and roast ... these may be quicker prep than the fries.

Had pretty purple buckwheat for breakfast!!! Delicious!

Cheers,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

A few pics...

Postby VegSeekingFit » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:00 pm

Hi Journal!!! :) :-D :D

Not sure why I am so amused by pictures.... but, yeah... that is where I'm at!!! So, will post some.

First, will share that when I went into work today - successfully kept away from the land-mines... So, 5 hour meeting requires all to have leftover Halloween candy, yes??? :lol: Then, was a bit apprehensive on the lunch.... had to "sign up" with pre-determined dietary preferences (yes, I selected vegan... knowing this is not meaning healthy, I get it and had my bag of food)... Seriously, was glad that the accomodation for "vegan" was that salads had stuff on the side --- so, I actually had a nice salad (no way would fill me up, but I brought other MWL compliant food)... All good!!! :-D

So, first walk in the snow of the season. It was actually not bad, pretty!!! (but got pretty wet!!!)

Unearthed my hiking boots and waterproof layer for the next walk. Best not to trip or get wet (blisters)... So, bring on the weather... :lol: My feet still want to walk...

Made a dish in the spirit of JeffN SNAP meals --- just added more starch (like 1/2 box of whole wheat pasta)... Else, was only frozen / canned. Pretty easy / quick / delicious (used onion powder and basil for spice and also probaby added more tomato than called for...)

Mostly eating frozen fruit with oatmeal and then apple (or pear), cuties, grapes... sometimes bananas... Yum!!!

Loving cucumber, tomato, onion mix... Had this with Mrs. Dash Table Blend...

Totally different Split Pea Soup --- using yellow ones. Had no celery so doubled down on the carrots.

Huge Idaho potato under the GREEEN split pea soup seasoned with tri-color pepper...

I am working through trying to understand study Mark posted. Will comment separately on that / my understanding...

Cheers,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

EMA Study #1

Postby VegSeekingFit » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:50 pm

Hello Journal, (again!!) :)

So, mostly I don't read the underlying studies / source documents. However, I do appreciate reading JeffN and Dr. McD comments on various studies and reading the abstracts. Also, appreciate commentary around methodology of the study itself and whether or not this may even be applicable to folks following McD (and why). I think I have gone to source only a few times --- particularly remember the potato only diet and some crazy thing where someone ate a ton of bananas (and did not fare well)...

I did think that it would be a good use of my time to understand this study from the "Know Thyself" link --- Reason is that it goes to risk of relapse as well --- which I think may apply to everyone (perhaps)...
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5591758/

Feeling like this study is supplemental information to JeffN post on Top 10 Reasons for Failure. Especially #1 (non-application) and #10 for myself... https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 4w#p627797

First reaction to pass 1 of reading study... Yikes... I am feeling like a bit of a dim bulb!!! :lol: So, just trying -- Take 1!

Oh, yeah... I am trying to break through decades of cobwebs around my understanding of certain statistical terminology and some acronyms are a bit annoying to me. So, Google is always your friend!!!

Many I am fine with and understand (CI, SD, mean, range, mode, + or - :lol: ) Here are a few that I may refer back to:
P-value - looking for likelihood of sampling error --- what is the chance that your results are random?
R-value - Pearson correlation coefficient -- denotes linear trend from -1 to +1 with the closer the absolute value is to 1, the stronger the linear relationship between the variables.
PANAS - (OK, I don't think I have ever heard of this in my life!!! )... Positive and Negative Affect Schedule --- thinking this may be specific to this study due to non-normalized data --- describing feelings at each assessment period / non-adherence. Going with (MAYBE) used for questionnaires...
EMA --- OMG --- could they not just call this adherence assessment, electronic data gathering, self-evaluation... but I guess that is not scholarly???
GEE -- Method to model non-normal data (such as in questionnaire) --- count data. This is a set of equations that are solved to obtain parameter estimates. (Have to read this study again --- think this may have been used to estimate data when it was not provided --- weight???)

Here is a quote that resonated (meaning I need to think about it): Typically, participants lose weight during the initial phases of an intervention when acquisition of targeted skills / strategies is greatest and intensity (and thus accountability) is high, but then experience weight regain as the program lessens in intensity or ceases altogether. One explanation for this pattern is that reinforcement for weight control behaviors, and thus motivation, is likely to be greatest during active weight loss (e.g., especially at the outset of treatment) and lowest during weight maintenance (21). During maintenance phase of treatment, when accountability and intensity of the treatment program is at its lowest and reinforcement from weight loss is minimal (because the rate of weight loss is typically very low or zero), participants may begin to have trouble maintaining motivation with challenging weight control behaviors....

Well, I am still digesting this. Very technical and I do try to understand what may help with managing personal risk here of relapse. I am going to circle back to a true read next week --- understanding some of the above will help I think...

Best,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals