Hypothyroidisme, iodine and medication

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hypothyroidisme, iodine and medication

Postby Marianne Thornberg » Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:49 am

For 5 years I have not eaten salt (not even ionized) or iodine supplements or any kind of seaweed (just didn't think about it). I live on a 100% unprocessed plant-based diet (as recommended by Dr. Caldwell B. Esselstyn, McDougall....) and no gluten and soy or anything else that could stimulate Epstein Barr Virus (Anthony Williams).
I was diagnosed with low metabolism / hypothyroidism (not antibody related) and my theory is that I have provoked it myself by iodine deficiency.

Currently I eat 1 tablespoon of dulse daily and currently I get 100 mcg of eltroxin daily (I have been doing this for about 1 year). The blood test measurements that are now being done, probably just indicate the synthetic medicine's level and not the natural function of my thyroid gland. In other words. It has not been tested whether iodine supplementation in itself would regulate hormone production back to normal, as I basically started both iodine supplementation and medication at the same time.

So my question is: can I remove the medication and can I cure my thyroid using iodine (if that is the cause in the first place)?

Thank you in advance and have an absolutely fantastic, fun, healthy and adventurous day.
Marianne Thornberg

Return to Health Issues