Graves Disease

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Graves Disease

Postby Rob » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:10 pm

Does anyone know anything about Graves Disease and diet? I'm not able to find anything about either cause or effect of diet on this disease. Thanks.
Rob

I am interested in any posts you'll get

Postby Lisa M. » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:03 pm

nt
Lisa M.

Postby groundhogg » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:30 am

Have you read about the gluten intolerance/celiac connection to autoimmune thyroid disorders?

Not saying this is YOUR problem, but it seems prevalent enough that if I had Graves disease, I would try 100% gluten free (tough to do, but often worth the trouble if it gets people off meds, on reduced meds, and/or feeling better--have a look at major celiac sites for instructions on how to go gluten free if interested) for 6 months to see if there were any changes. It takes 6 months most of the time to see any difference in various health conditions if they are caused by gluten.

Note that celiac disease many times exists with NO intestinal symptoms present...so...that's why I personally would choose to try a gluten free trial to see IF thing improved with this or lots of other autoimmune diseases that didn't go away after switching to McDougalling.

Don't know how to post a link, but I guess like this:

http://thyroid.about.com/cs/latestresearch/a/celiac.htm

This should be enough to at least allow someone a launching point to see if they believe they would like to investigate this possiblity further for themselves with more research.
groundhogg

Postby Rob » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:57 pm

Thanks for the info. An aquaintance has Grave's Disease and I wanted to understand whether diet has anthing to do with this disease.
Rob

Return to Health Issues