Bloating from sweet potatoes?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Bloating from sweet potatoes?

Postby Roxanne » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:51 pm

It's the only thing different that I have been eating a lot of lately since I used to eat mainly normal potatoes and I don't get bad results from those. I've also noticed that I'm really "blocked up" lately. I don't really understand what it can be otherwise--I've been eating raw veggies for so long my body's gotten used to those, I've been off dairy for at least half a year (vegan for ethical reasons and I do check all labels), I don't eat beans, and, probablly saying this directly to Groundhog, I don't have a gluton intolerance.

Could the sweet potatoes be the culprit?
If you are going to doubt anything, doubt your limits.

Height: 5'7
BMI: 21.1

Roxanne

Could be...

Postby Pumpkin » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:49 am

Not super likely, as sweet potatoes aren't frequently reported as problem foods. But you can have an intolerance, or allergy, or other problem with virtually any food. And sometimes these don't surface until you've been eating the food more frequently than in the past.

However... don't jump to hasty conclusions here. Cut out the sweet potatoes for a couple weeks and see if things improve. Then re-start the sweet potatoes and see if the problem returns (if in fact it went away). You should repeat this test a couple times before you make a final decision about sweet potatoes. Also... look at whether there is another food you usually eat with the sweet potatoes that you eat infrequently or not at all otherwise. Sometimes associated foods or ingredients turn out to be the culprits. Tracking down food intolerances isn't always easy!

Also, keep in mind that things other than foods can cause intestinal problems. Are you drinking plenty of water throughout the day? Sometimes when the weather turns cold we cut back on water without realizing it. Also, cutting back on exercise can "slow things down." Stress or emotional upsets affect some people in the gut area, too.

Good luck in solving this problem! :)

Pumpkin
Pumpkin

Postby groundhogg » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:19 am

:oops: :lol:
groundhogg

Roxanne -- white pots give me trouble, but not sweets

Postby yamster » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:53 am

If I were you I would follow the excellent advice Pumpkin gave. Many of us on this board have discussed having problems similar to what you describe occuring when we eat white potatoes, but not sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are usually recommended for people with food allergies/intolerances because they so rarely cause negative reactions. You could be an exception of course, but I think it's more likely that some other food, additive, seasoning ... could be the cause of the bloating. Another thing you might consider is fiber. I eat lots of vegs and still need a little additional help. You might need a natural supplement such as flaxmeal or psyllium. One last question: are you eating any processed foods? If you are, I would suggest cutting them out, eating only unprocessed and seeing if that helps.
Good luck! yamster
yamster

Culprit found

Postby Roxanne » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:57 am

I didn't think about the viniger I've been having lately. My dining hall douses articokes in it, and I've been eating them quite a bit lately. I've always had problems with viniger.

But as far as the rest of the relies go, thanks for the advice. And to clarify, no, I don't eat any processed foods and I'm not an additive type of person, but those would deffinately be things that I would have looked at.

I just hope my tummy's okay before this weekend. . . . :) Thanks again
If you are going to doubt anything, doubt your limits.

Height: 5'7
BMI: 21.1

Roxanne

White tater problems?

Postby Sher » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:43 pm

yamster wrote:Many of us on this board have discussed having problems similar to what you describe occuring when we eat white potatoes...yamster

Yamster, I am SO glad you wrote that. I had an *experience* 2 or 3 weeks ago, involving white potatoes, and hesitated about asking on the board, because I see a majority of folks basing their starches on them. Some might view it as heresy. :D Don't want to hijack, so I'll bring it up on another thread sometime.

Sher
Sher

Vinegar...

Postby Pumpkin » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:33 am

Roxanne wrote:I didn't think about the viniger I've been having lately. My dining hall douses articokes in it, and I've been eating them quite a bit lately. I've always had problems with viniger.

That might make sense. I've seen websites that recommend use of vinegar for diabetics because it is supposed to somehow delay emptying of the stomach or large intestine... forget which. The slower processing of foods is better for diabetics as it helps maintain a more stable blood sugar, and avoid blood sugar spikes.

But if the effect is excessive, for you, for some reason... I could understand the effect being discomfort. Apparently most people can use vinegar without problems... you must be part of the minority that cannot. Good detective work!

Pumpkin
Pumpkin

Sher, thanks for your response (white potato issue)

Postby yamster » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:28 pm

I haven't figured out how to reply to a post and have it appear directly under the post I am responding to. Once others have responded, my reply then goes to the end of the list where it looks like I'm responding to the last post rather than the one I'm actually answering, several spaces up the line. :( Kinda frustrating.

Anyway, I hope you see this, Sher. Just wanted to thank you for letting me know that the information I posted was helpful to you (white potatoes/bloating). Don't ever hesitate to bring that subject up on the board because there are lots of other people who share your experience, including myself. And I always learn so much from the experience of others.

Take care!
yamster
yamster

Return to Health Issues