Are these benefits or just coincidence?

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Are these benefits or just coincidence?

Postby limberone » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:30 am

Hello everyone!

I posted an intro of sorts at the end of the "Weighing In" link on Roberta's Corner. Not sure if I was in the right place.

Anyway, perhaps I will be in the right place now. It was almost three days ago that I began the MWL plan (before that, I was an ovo-lacto vegetarian, and very liberal with the junk food), and several health benefits are already apparent after three days; however, two things I have not read about as possible benefits. So now I am wondering if these are just coincidence?

1. my nasal passages are so clear. I woke up numerous times last night (this is usual -- I have a three month old breastfed baby), and each time I woke up, I noticed how very easy it was to breathe!

2. my teeth feel cleaner. I brush and floss my teeth at least twice a day, and even so, I always have a filmy residue whenever I wake up. Today, I noticed much less, in fact, very little of that same filmy residue.

Has anyone else noticed either of these?

Is there one location on the website listing all benefits observed so far?

I have several of the McDougall books, but I do not remember any of the stories mentioning these.

Thank you!
limberone

Re: Are these benefits or just coincidence?

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:34 am

limberone wrote:
Has anyone else noticed either of these?

Yup.

Isn't it great? It keeps getting better, too.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Dairy

Postby serenity » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:38 am

I think that you will find yourself in good company regarding the clear breathing. Dairy seems to be the culprit, and simply eliminating it brings allergy and congestion relief to many of us. I'm sure Dr. McD has written about it, but I couldn't say where.
Congrats on the improvements.
serenity

Yes and yes

Postby AnnaS » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:13 am

Yes on the nasal passages--although it took me several weeks to notice this difference. I had complicated sinus problems for years. Lots of people on the McDougall board have reported (over the past 4 yrs I've been reading it) that it was quitting dairy that did the trick for them. Dr. McDougall explains this in one of his past newsletter articles on dairy (go to his site and do a newsletter search for dairy, it's very interesting!).

And yes on the teeth! I've noticed it, but it was most dramatic for my DH. He always had a bad plaque problem, and even going every 6 mos. to the dentist for a cleaning it was always a difficult and long procedure. Now, he doesn't have this problem! His cleanings are a breeze. They asked him what he was doing differently. He said he'd changed his diet, and they said, "No, that couldn't be it...it must be something else." Hmmm.

You are off to a great start! Wait until you find out about the OTHER benefits! :-)
on the McD program since 2002: age=65, BMI=18, b/p=110/70, tc=126, McD=100%.
diagnosed with lyme disease March 2010

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AnnaS

Postby noodle » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:26 am

Hi limberone, and congratulations. Nothing like a clear nose and clean teeth! :D

I'll add a couple. I have a clear complexion now that I never had before eating this way. Also, I just feel cleaner on the inside? Does that make any sense? :-)

Keep it up and I'm sure you'll be adding alot more benefits to your list!
noodle

Reply to AnnaS

Postby Malva » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:44 pm

What does
"rhr = 58"
in your signature mean?

I couldn't help noticing those great stats.
Malva

Re: Reply to AnnaS

Postby Sandie » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:06 pm

Malva wrote:What does
"rhr = 58"
in your signature mean?

I couldn't help noticing those great stats.

rhr means Resting Heart Rate.
Have a great day!!
Sandie

http://www.geocities.com/sandieb101/Menu2.html

~ Although I need to lose more, I'm taking baby steps with small goals! ~
Sandie

Yes,Yes, Yes~~~

Postby Sunny » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:52 pm

Welcome to the board ~~~ :-)

Isn't it wonderful to breath freely and feel so good. :-D and it only gets better. :-D

Glad to have you here :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Postby Bri » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:11 pm

Hi limberone,

Welcome to the board. I noticed those improvements in the first week too, and others such as clearer complexion, more energy, clearer thinking...the list goes on as you keep McDougalling.

Enjoy all the healthy changes!
Bri

McDougalling for both health and weight loss
Bri

Postby Venya » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:47 pm

Hi Limberone

Congratulations on your success!! I'm so happy for you. I used to live on allergy medications until I gave up dairy. I woke up every morning completely stuffed up and spent every day feeling like I had the flu. After more than 20 years of the McDougall Plan, I have not had any allergy problems!!
Venya

Postby Kayll » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:22 pm

You guys just totally motivated me to really "be good" and get McDougalling.

Limberone, I'm just like you. A ovo-lacto veggie who is very liberal with junk food. And I have awful allergies and nasal issues. I joke about buying stock in Kleenex.

So, reading about how McDougalling helps....Woohoo! Time to get serious.

:)
Blessings!
-Kayll
www.choosetocreate.com - It's your life. How do you want to live it?
Kayll

sinus, skin, hair and teeth

Postby collinsa » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:19 am

I was a lacto-ovo vegetarian (and occasional fish eater) until about 4 days ago. I finally decided to take the vegan/low fat diet seriously, after much deliberation.
What I've noticed primarily is the absence of headache and the reduction in "stuffiness" associated with sinus. My teeth also do feel cleaner. And my skin and hair are soft. Only 4 days....so some of it is probably subjective. But the headache issue alone is enough to convince me that there are immediate merits to this program.
I'm intrigued by the idea that it's "over-nutrition" not under-nutrition that is harming us. But if you think about it, it makes so much sense.
Sheila
collinsa

Return to Health Issues