Recovering from Acute Gallbladder Attack

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Recovering from Acute Gallbladder Attack

Postby Kiki » Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:44 pm

I am recovering from a big, acute gallbladder attack last Sunday night/Monday morning. And, I have a few questions:

1. Do the recommendations on Dr. McDougall's gallbladder page apply to those with acute attacks (hours of vomiting, etc), as well as those with no symptoms or indigestion style symptoms? http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_gallbladder.html

2. What are the best foods to eat to come off of an attack?

3. Are probiotics a good thing to take to get the system back in balance, or are they likely to increase the chance of infection? Perhaps putting more bacteria in a compromised tract, possibly with microtears isn't such a good idea?
Kiki

Re: Recovering from Acute Gallbladder Attack

Postby somnolent » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:06 pm

Kiki wrote:1. Do the recommendations on Dr. McDougall's gallbladder page apply to those with acute attacks (hours of vomiting, etc), as well as those with no symptoms or indigestion style symptoms? http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_gallbladder.html

It seems that Dr. McDougall's recommendations do not really address an acute attack at all. You are supposed to see your doctor about that. His point is that the treatment for gallstones without symptoms is a low-fat diet rather than surgery. His recommendations from that link:

My Recommendations: A no-cholesterol, low-fat diet (including all vegetable fats too), for preventing gallbladder disease and gallstones. If you develop pain see your doctor. If the attack subsides and your situation is not a surgical emergency, then eat a very low-fat diet to avoid further attacks. Do not allow an operation to remove gallstones that do not cause symptoms.

I think it's a good question, though. I bet a lot of people who have eaten a SAD diet have gallstones.
somnolent

Postby Katydid » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:53 pm

The part about eating a low-fat diet to avoid future attacks is true. I have a funky gall bladder, but so long as I stay away from fat I have no issues. In the bad old days, I would in up in the hospital from dehydration caused by vomiting for 12 hours straight.
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby Kiki » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:58 pm

Thanks for answering, Somnolent.

I realize your statement was a general one, but to add some additional information, I've been low-fat vegan for months and vegetarian for a couple of years before that.

I was hospitalized for my first (and only other) attack in August. The attending physician didn't recommend surgery, and told me to avoid fat (well, gosh gee, thanks :roll: ). The information out there all seems to be all directed at people who aren't having problems, not for those who are.
Kiki

Postby Kiki » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:01 pm

Thanks, Katydid. Do you know if your gallstones actually diminished in number or size as a result of your low-fat diet?
Kiki

Postby Katydid » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:29 pm

Nope, they're still there. Like a ticking time bomb. My doctor says my gall bladder should come out. But I know three people at work who had the surgery this year and have had major complications. I had one major attack this year from eating too many nuts. Lesson learned.
Kate
Last edited by Katydid on Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby somnolent » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:33 pm

Kiki, what I meant to say was that I bet many of us developed gallstones in the past, when we were eating a less than healthy diet, and I bet they don't go away immediately after switching to a low-fat vegan diet. I guess there are two possibilities in your case: either you developed new gallstones recently or you had old gallstones that caused new problems. I do not know enough about gallstones to know which one is the correct explanation. Did you switch to a low-fat vegan diet before or after the first attack?
somnolent

Postby Kiki » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:47 pm

I switched to low-fat vegan before my first attack. I suspect that in my case the gallstones were caused by a lifetime of chronic dieting.
Kiki

Postby somnolent » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:54 pm

Interesting...I don't know what it means, though. Have other people had gallbladder attacks upon starting this diet?
somnolent

Postby Kiki » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:11 pm

Yes, Dr. McDougall, himself discusses the problems with dieting/weight loss in one of his books, Digestive Tune-Ups.

Ironically, the overweight person who determines to improve his or her health by losing weight can end up with gallstones as a result of dieting. Within about sixteen weeks of beginning a low-calorie diet, 10 percent of dieters develop gallstones. . .
Kiki

Postby somnolent » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:29 pm

Thanks...that is ironic!
somnolent

Postby washbear » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:43 pm

I take dandelion root and burdock root tinctures, to help with gall bladder attacks. Both are good for the liver and gall bladder. And eating low-fat with plenty of fibrous foods, of course.
"I'll be Pavlov, you be the dog." --William Stafford
washbear

Postby LeeNZ » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:14 am

I find myself reading this thread because my sister is, right now, in hospital after being re-admitted after her gallbladder was removed during the week after several days of vomiting and not knowing what was wrong with her!

She was readmitted because today she lost feeling in one of her arms and her legs just gave way beneath her and she can't walk. I am so scared for her.

She doesn't know anything about McDougall-ing and I am certain she will have no interest in believing that her diet has any relation to her health...sigh...she is a smoker too : (

I wish you the very best Kiki.

Lee
LeeNZ

Postby Kiki » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:10 am

Thanks, washbear. I used to drink dandelion tea frequently. Maybe I will start again.

LeeNZ, I'm very sorry to read about your sister. I hope that she recovers fully and quickly. Obviously, I don't know you or your sister, but perhaps a scare such as she has had will make her into a convert? It has happened to other people with some remarkable results.
Kiki

Postby LeeNZ » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:34 pm

Thank you Kiki for your reply.

I know it has given me a jolt. I "believe" but don't always "do" when it comes to eating well. I can be a better example and hope that my sister and family might give more thought to changing their diet. (They have always looked at me sideways and perhaps had a laugh about me and lentils or beans. They have never taken it seriously at all.)

I am about to cook brown rice for breakfast :wink:

Take care, I really hope you can find some solutions.

Lee
LeeNZ

Next

Return to Health Issues