Ovarian Cyst and 14 weeks pregnant.

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Ovarian Cyst and 14 weeks pregnant.

Postby amandaev » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:13 pm

Well, I am 14 weeks pregnant, and I just got back from my OB/GYN and she told me that she was a 10 cm cyst on my left ovary during my ultrasound. She wants me to go in for another ultra sound in a few weeks and possibly have it remove (while pregnant.) What can I do?
Amanda
amandaev

Postby noodle » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:11 pm

Hello amandaev -

Have you emailed Dr. McDougall with this? He has always answered my medical questions quickly the best he can given he's not my physician.

I hope all will go well with you.

God Bless,

Noodle
noodle

Postby amandaev » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:22 am

No I havn't emailed Dr. McDougal. I was unaware that you could do that. That's great. I will try yo figure out how to do it. Thanks!
Amanda
amandaev

Re: Ovarian Cyst and 14 weeks pregnant.

Postby LoriM » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:28 am

amandaev wrote:Well, I am 14 weeks pregnant, and I just got back from my OB/GYN and she told me that she was a 10 cm cyst on my left ovary during my ultrasound. She wants me to go in for another ultra sound in a few weeks and possibly have it remove (while pregnant.) What can I do?

Well, one thing I'd suggest you do is relax. I think I get ovarian cysts at least every other year, and I've never had surgery to remove them. After a couple of months, they dissolve. If for some reason, your cyst takes a bit longer to break down, as long as it's not causing pain or interfering with hormonal development in the pregnancy, I'd just let it be.

Besides, pregnant women sometimes have appendicitis or other issues while pregnant...and surgical responses work just fine.

Definitely don't let your stress over this issue affect your body and the baby. It's probably no big deal, and if your OB suggested waiting a few weeks and checking again, then that's what you should do. (c:

Congrats on your pregnancy!
A statistician is someone who is skilled at drawing a precise line from an unwarranted assumption to a foregone conclusion.
LoriM

I agree with LoriM

Postby AnnaS » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:00 pm

I agree with LoriM that it may resolve itself. I have had them several times and never needed surgery. I'm thinking that as your progesterone levels increase from the pregnancy this will help the cyst to resolve itself. (Just a wild guess here, I'm not a medical person!) If it's causing you pain though, and doesn't get better, having it removed is not really a big deal.
on the McD program since 2002: age=65, BMI=18, b/p=110/70, tc=126, McD=100%.
diagnosed with lyme disease March 2010

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AnnaS

Postby TKDTigger » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:43 pm

Firstly, Congratulations amandaev on your pregnancy! yay! :-D

I had a 9cm cyst on my right ovary this summer. The only reason I knew it was there was because I had severe abdominal pain. I had just finished my menstrual cycle about 6 days before and it was normal. I had it removed because it was starting to twist my ovary, hence the excruciating pain, and ignoring it would have damaged my ovary (I don't have children yet).

I hope all goes well!!
TKDTigger

Return to Health Issues