Rectocele (Pelvic Organ Prolapse) / Tram Flap Breast Reconst

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Rectocele (Pelvic Organ Prolapse) / Tram Flap Breast Reconst

Postby lionandlamb » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:37 pm

I have been having some rectal laxity problems recently. I am going for a second opinion next week at the Mt. Sinai colorectal dept. I believe, from my reading on the internet, that I very likely have some sort of rectocele problem going on.

I also believe that the tram flap breast reconstruction that I had 15 years ago has a lot to do with my pelvic floor weakness.

Dr. McDouggal's video today (Don't Take The Doctor's Word for It) triggered my dismay at how the tram flap was "sold" to me without any mention of bad complications, i.e., surgical hernia, which I had, and now this wonderful problem. Did they not know 15 years ago that there could be all these problems with the tram flap?

Also, I am on the one hand hoping they can do some surgery on me, but on the other, I saw a youtube of what they do and I am horrified. I just don't want to be worse off than I am now.

If anyone has this problem, and maybe had the surgery please let me know your experience.
Thank you in advance.
"In their behavior toward creatures, all men are Nazis. Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought." Isaac Bashevis Singer, author, Nobel Prize 1978
lionandlamb

Re: Rectocele (Pelvic Organ Prolapse) / Tram Flap Breast Rec

Postby theresam » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:48 pm

Lionandlamb, from your moniker I feel its safe to suggest to pray!! Our heavenly Father loves you so much and wants you to heal! He can provide the information and resources you need!

In addition to reducing inflammation with diet, like Dr. Mcdougalls WOE, I would suggest seeing a traditional osteopath-one who does "Osteopathic manual medicine." They work with the internal organs and soft tissue and might be able to really help. This is a D.O. doctor, but one that specializes in TRADITIONAL osteopathy.

I would call local health food stores to start with to find one. Also this website may have one listed in your state:

http://jamesjealous.com/physician-direc ... directory/

Here is another site from a D.O. in California with detailed info about this osteopathic healing approach:

http://www.osteohome.com

Also google search for "traditional osteopathy manual manipulation therapy" in your area. God bless! Theresa
theresam

Postby SunshineDay » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:33 pm

Responding here just to say that, while I have no practical advice to give you, you are not alone. I myself have been diagnosed with this lovely (NOT!) condition (-- mine not due to Tram Flap surgery, but instead I suspect having to do with the long and drawn out labor/childbirth I experienced with my youngest (three full hours of the 'pushing' stage) 17 years ago). I've still received no medical treatment for the condition, so I'm curious about the options that may be available nowadays and as such will be watching this thread with real interest -- please do post an update here in regards to what you find out in regards to treatment options. In the meantime, I do find this WOE, with it's way of keeping one's digestion on the more 'regular' side of things, a big help in dealing with some of the rectocele symptoms. In any case all my best to you and good luck!
SunshineDay

Postby Ginger » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:37 am

I have experienced both bladder and rectal prolapse. Mine resulted from having children (the gift that keeps on giving), being overweight, and a love of hard work that involved lifting heavy things. I had surgery about 3 years ago and had mesh "installed". It has worked well, but I will always have to be careful about not lifting too much weight. I live in Panama so had the surgery done here. Was given a spinal block and the surgery was about an hour and I left the hospital the next day. I am glad I had it done, as my bladder was in free fall. Hope this helps.
Ginger

Postby lionandlamb » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:02 am

I know this is several years later.

Just want to share that the Innovo device has helped me tremendously with both rectal and urinary incontinence.
"In their behavior toward creatures, all men are Nazis. Human beings see oppression vividly when they're the victims. Otherwise they victimize blindly and without a thought." Isaac Bashevis Singer, author, Nobel Prize 1978
lionandlamb

Return to Health Issues