Blood pressure rising

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Blood pressure rising

Postby snapa » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:18 pm

I went to the McDougall Gourment weekend in August (it was great!) and have really been trying to improve my diet. My blood pressure which was higher than normal (135/85) has now become higher yet (155/89) but I have cut out meat, dairy and have been working on following the diet. I initially gained a few pounds (almonds! avacados!) but after figuring that out I have been slowly losing. Yesterday, my blood pressure was 163/92. I'm achy and feel tired. Oh, and my heart rate which is normally low (49-52) was 42 yesterday. I don't want to do something stupid and ignore this, but I also really don't want to go on medications if I don't have to. I'm also frustrated that my health indicators are not reflecting my efforts! Any thoughts are appreciated....
snapa

Postby Donna R » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:50 pm

sorry this is happening! are you taking your blood pressure in the same way as before? are you eating more salt--maybe on baked potatoes? drinking coffee? taking over-the-counter meds like Tylenol or Aleve or Advil?

do you know why your pulse is so low?

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... 003399.htm

I hope it's all regulated soon!
~ Donna
Donna R

Blood pressure rising

Postby snapa » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:32 pm

I'm drinking way less coffee than before, blood pressure taking is the same. I have taken a little advil-could that make it rise that much?

The low heart rate is a family thing-my mom had a pace maker years ago. My heart rate is much lower than 20 years ago. I've been told it is fine, but to be aware of what is going on. I'm not so worried about that as I am the blood pressure.

thanks
snapa

Lowering blood pressure

Postby Burgess Laughlin » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:09 am

Based only on personal experience and no medical training, here are my suggestions for lowering blood pressure:

1. Following the McDougall Program 100%. Make no exceptions whatsoever.

2. Make sure your meals consist mostly of wholesome starch and vegetables, with fruit as appropriate to your plan.

3. Cut out coffee completely. "Close enough" is not good enough.

4. Make sure you measure your BP several times during the day (for example, 6 am, noon, and 8 pm), day after day. Notice what you are doing (or not doing) before you take it.

For example, my BP is highest (135/85) in the morning around 5 am. Why? Probably because I am a "morning person" and I am "pumped up and ready to go," and also because I take my BP right after taking a hot shower (the heat, especially on the back of my neck, probably bumps up the numbers by 10 or so). In the evening my BP is typically 115/70 or even lower, as I gradually become more horizontal (as an engineering friend of my stated it).

5. Totally eliminate salt from your diet. Make no exceptions whatsoever. Pleasant? No. Effective? Yes, it is for me. Some people are salt-sensitive. I am. At present, my only sources of salt are ketchup (on potatoes) and commercial (but otherwise very healthy) salsa.

6. Keep in mind that treating BP through diet may take weeks or months to be completely effective.

7. Drink lots of water.
Burgess Laughlin

Postby groundhogg » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:34 am

Who is taking your blood pressure? Are you sure the sphygmo is accurately calibrated?
groundhogg

do watch that pulse rate

Postby Anne » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:59 pm

A colleague of mine collapsed a couple of years ago from a similar genetic problem. Thanks to prompt medical help, he did fine and received a pacemaker. His diet is essentially McDougall, and he is a very slender runner who probably has admirably clear arteries. It isn't a failure of your diet or lifestyle if you need a pacemaker to deal with a very slow heart rate. We all deal with odd little genetic tricks. Please do keep on top of this condition, it can be dangerous.

Just thought I'd throw that in there.

Also, Burgess is right on all points, including the salt, which is the one I have tried to ignore. It makes a huge difference. Burgess, you have such a pleasant way of being strict.
Anne in the northcountry
Anne

Postby hope101 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:19 am

Don't know how old you are, but I think you need to see your physician. That drop in heart rate, coupled with aches and changing BP could actually mean something like a heart attack. Women (sorry, I think you are female) typically don't get traditional heart attack symptoms but will often feel achy and tired. Please get checked out.
hope101

Re: Blood pressure rising

Postby Purdy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:28 pm

snapa wrote: Oh, and my heart rate which is normally low (49-52) was 42 yesterday. .

Regarding the heart rate. Some others are concerned but 49 to 52 is not abnormal for some people. Mine is in that area, although I do lots of cardio excercise.
And from time to time it drops to an area that even scares me. Low 40's, high 30's and once only 36. Seems like when I get cold, it goes lower.
Yet at other times it can be upper 50's even when at rest.

As to your blood pressure, you certainly want to keep on top of that.
If its a steady 140+ even with full McDougall then some intervention may be called for.

Are you exercising a minimum of 30 minutes or more each day? Like brisk walking, not just lifting a weight.
Purdy

Postby Birdy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:59 pm

You know I think you should e-mail Dr. McDougall. Rising blood pressure is a definite concern and, because you're also losing weight, your blood pressure should be going down, not up. I think you can e-mail him at [email protected]. But check the McDougall Home page to verify that this is still a good address for him.
Birdy

Return to Health Issues